3455 replies to this topic

#1891 Watsuko

Watsuko

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

The Islanders are a team on the rise especially now that they are moving to Brooklyn.
Luongo would quickly become a fan favorite as his fellow greasers are quite established in the area.

. Then they could rehire Mike Milbury and trade Luongo to Florida......for???

#1892 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,159 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

As you say: Kadri might help

Luongo might not help the leafs, he will help the leafs.

So why trade for a might help?

Franson, Bozak and 2nd were also in the deal.

Bozak & and Franson add the depth we need at C and on the back end, that's the "will help" that we get, those two pieces will add help to the 2 areas we seem to need it the most.

Then in terms of Kadri, as MG said we need something for the future aswell and that comes with Kadri and a 2nd, if Kadri can chip in now on the Wing or a Center then that's great, a bonus, if not it's still a future piece that adds a huge piece to our cupboard and a guy who can step in and play when needed.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 13 January 2013 - 09:27 PM.

zackass.png

#1893 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Bozak, Gardiner, Reimer
For
Lu,Ray, Connaughton, Sauve

Canucks get 3 positions of need. A much needed offensive dman. A good backup with potential. A good utility centreman who is still improving (only 26).

Leafs get leardership, all star goaltending and prospects.

#1894 Renelsisc

Renelsisc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Bozak, Gardiner, Reimer
For

Canucks get 3 positions of need. A much needed offensive dman. A good backup with potential. A good utility centreman who is still improving (only 26).

I think that's a little too much.

to TOR:
Lu, Ray, Sauve

to VAN:
Reimer, Gardiner, Kadri

#1895 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

to TOR:
Lu, Ray, Sauve

to VAN:
Reimer, Gardiner, Kadri

We're overpaying IMO

#1896 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I think it's mostly based on speculation as to what it is going to take to get Edler re-signed.

The Canucks recently have signed their top defensemen to contracts in the 4.5 million area. The same offer was made to Ehrhoff, but he chose to bolt to Buffalo instead.

I think if Edler can be persuaded to agree to a contract in the 4.5 to 5.0 million range, then Gillis will find a way to make it happen. However, if he decides he wants something in the 6 million range, the Canucks likely will be unable to afford him. That being the case, it makes sense to move him for something now, rather than lose him for nothing later.

I agree with this.....we've seen a good dman lost before.

I trust mgmt realizes edlers value, however 6 million is still not Erhoff money and if the Canucks are to spend that on a dman they may as well spend it on Edler. Their isnt a comparable in prospect land and its obvious we wouldn't trade for one.

There is cap space tied up in far weaker links that could be cleverly cleared before creating a huge void in trading Edler, especially if that trade involves an unproven flavour of the week fwd.

Edited by riffraff, 13 January 2013 - 09:46 PM.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#1897 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

We're overpaying IMO

Yes.

#1898 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,873 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Bozak, Gardiner, Reimer
For

I've been pushing for MG to move Luongo for many years now, but I can honestly say there is no one on the Leafs that I think makes a Van-TO trade enticing. Kadri is more of what they already have.......a small, skilled 2-3 line fwd, and Gardiner is kind of the opposite of what the Nucks need on the back end, especially in the Western Conference.......Bozak is a 3-4 liner on the Nucks and there's already too many of those on the roster.

If that's all MG can get for Lu right now, I'd rather see a 60/40split in games between Schneids and Lu, then move him in the off season

#1899 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I have a gut feeling that Gillis is gonna stick to his guns and hold out on trading Luongo until he can get the best possible return (likely the Trade Deadline or 2013 off season). Since nothing on Toronto can help us now. Bozak is barely a 2nd line center on a team with no star calibre centers.

Edited by Samuel Pahlsson, 13 January 2013 - 10:31 PM.

SYvE9NH.gif

#1900 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I've been pushing for MG to move Luongo for many years now, but I can honestly say there is no one on the Leafs that I think makes a Van-TO trade enticing. Kadri is more of what they already have.......a small, skilled 2-3 line fwd, and Gardiner is kind of the opposite of what the Nucks need on the back end, especially in the Western Conference.......Bozak is a 3-4 liner on the Nucks and there's already too many of those on the roster.

If that's all MG can get for Lu right now, I'd rather see a 60/40split in games between Schneids and Lu, then move him in the off season

I agree with you there. It's pretty difficult to get excited about anything the Laffs have to offer.
The only player on their roster that I think would improve the Canucks would be Grabovski - and he is a 5.5 million dollar guy who'd become the 3rd line C when Kesler returns. Not much of a fit there. Lupul (UFA), MacArthur and Bozak are decent but whether they'd improve the team is debatable - and two of the 3 are LW. Bozak could make a good 3rd C, but is a 3rd C a compelling centerpiece for an all star goaltender? A younger 3 C with more upside would seem a better target. Their blueline offers nothing - Franson might make a good 6th/7th/8th guy (and a right side guy) but not compelling. Their "core" players imo should be moved asap - but not to us.

Aside from that, it's depth players and youth, neither of which are very exciting. Their most hyped assets are two small offensive defensemen who aren't my idea of the direction the Canucks should be heading. I watched Biggs at the WJC lost any mild interest - underwhelming and looked like he was trying too hard to impress while producing next to nothing. A whole lot of tweener material. The guy I'd be most interested in is Frattin, and he's a secondary piece. How many B/secondary assets does it take to make it worthwhile? No matter how I look at it, I'm still at a loss to find a combination that makes me say yes. The best I can do is Frattin, Bozak, a 1st, another 1st lol.

Edited by oldnews, 13 January 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#1901 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

TOR
Luongo

VAN
Kadri
Bozak
Franson
2nd

No major pieces leave Toronto, both Bozak and Franson's roles can be filled, Bozak is a pending UFA anyways and Franson struggled big time last year, he's not quite as valuable as some here think.

We get depth in the 2 area's we need it, aswell has some things to add to cupboard.

No major pieces help the Canucks. Luongo's role as a franchise goaltender is a massive void to fill. If Bozak's and Franson's roles can be filled on lowly Toronto, don't you think it means they don't even make the team in Vancouver? See T4D Ballard (PHX, FLA) who came here on a high and fell low very fast; bottom pairing low.

The cupboard doesn't win Cups.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 13 January 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#1902 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

We're overpaying IMO

The Canucks get hosed more like it.

#1903 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

On top of it all, it's not like we like the Leafs. Why would we want to help them improve? Their failures are the source of some of our greatest pleasures.

#1904 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Boo hoo! If that is the case & Schneider is going to be rattled by legitimate competition for the #1 spot then maybe he should be the one in trade talks.

Since when is a player guaranteed a spot, especially the #1 goaltending position? If Schnieder is going to be our new #1 then he better get use to playing under pressure. Every other goaltender in the team's history has had to. I would have thought that having a legitimate back-up would motivate him to stay on top of his game.

It has and that's where I see the danger; that with a Luongo departure, so will the measuring stick cease to exist.

#1905 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

On top of it all, it's not like we like the Leafs. Why would we want to help them improve? Their failures are the source of some of our greatest pleasures.

Personally, I think the Leafs have nothing to offer outside of Phaneuf and Kessel. The rest of their players are an amalgamation of journeymen who would be considered plugs for Vancouver. The Canucks have enough if those. If I'm trading an allstar, gold medalist goaltender, you bet I'm asking fair value and fair value is seldom seen in this "best league in the world" for an allstar, gold medalist. So in the end, I make peace and keep him.

Also, the window to win a Cup is closing anyways and the Canucks will either start unloading if and when that occurs, perhaps in a couple of years, so why not keep Luongo until then; it might mean a 1st Cup for Vancouver; the hardest one to acquire. Luongo can get there. Not sure about Schneider the rookie. It's akin to giving a successful army to a mere soldier; you just don't do that if you want to win the war.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 13 January 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#1906 badbeatjackpot

badbeatjackpot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Is it worth while to start the season holding onto Lu?
With a shortened season, any mistakes made by goalies will be even more glaring, impacting a team's playoff chances
Does MG risk that Toronto or Philly have the same issues as last year and hold onto Lu for the 1st 10 games and hope that Reimer or Bryz lets in some bad goals and cost their teams a couple of games?
This would give the Canucks a HUGE advantage for trades...
A few bad games can mean a lower playoff seed or even missing the playoffs.
If Bryz and Reimer play decent, we can just keep Lu and trade him in the offseason when teams can figure out their cap space with the amnesty buyouts...

#1907 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Personally, I think the Leafs have nothing to offer outside of Phaneuf and Kessel. The rest of their players are an amalgamation of journeymen who would be considered plugs for Vancouver. The Canucks have enough if those. If I'm trading an allstar, gold medalist goaltender, you bet I'm asking fair value and fair value is seldom seen in this "best league in the world" for an allstar, gold medalist. So in the end, I make peace and keep him.

Those two guys are the last Leafs I'd want to pay for.

#1908 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,159 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

No major pieces help the Canucks. Luongo's role as a franchise goaltender is a massive void to fill. If Bozak's and Franson's roles can be filled on lowly Toronto, don't you think it means they don't even make the team in Vancouver? See T4D Ballard (PHX, FLA) who came here on a high and fell low very fast; bottom pairing low.

The cupboard doesn't win Cups.

Actually filled our biggest needs toward a cup are pretty big for us, adding to our cupboard doesn't win us a cup today but might in the future, it will also insure we remain competitive rather than become Calgary 2.0

zackass.png

#1909 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

to TOR:
Lu, Ray, Sauve

to VAN:
Reimer, Gardiner, Kadri

Connauton and Suave are both fringe prospects while Raymond appears to be on his last contract with the canucks so to package them up with Luongo to get a good backup goalie and a good prospect and a potential top 4 you defensman is well worth it
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#1910 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

The leafs are such a side show- I cannot believe what I am hearing it is hilarious.
They seem to be VERY interested in Luongo, but they do not want to give anyone up.
So far they have rejected Gardiner +Kadri for Lu and Raymond and they are rejecting Gunnarson + Bozak + Kadri for Lu and Raymond

these are just rumours obvi...

but what I am saying, is they need to pick a direction
either they shut up and pay up for a goaltender that instantly makes them better or they admit to themselves that they need to rebuild.

We all know Nonis from his days here, he is not a sharp guy-just like him to not know what he wants.

Sure Nonis, we will give you Lou for Connolly and Komisarek- you got it pal.

#1911 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

TOR
Luongo

VAN
Kadri
Bozak
Franson
2nd

No major pieces leave Toronto, both Bozak and Franson's roles can be filled, Bozak is a pending UFA anyways and Franson struggled big time last year, he's not quite as valuable as some here think.

We get depth in the 2 area's we need it, aswell has some things to add to cupboard.

You and I have both proposed something along these line. I've said in the past Bozak, Kadri and Franson, you've said same thing with 2nd rounder on top. I think this is a fair deal, if we get the 2nd its a bonus. Its also a realistic deal.

Edited by WHL rocks, 13 January 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#1912 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Source is not considered reliable by any stretch, hence not posted in the news thread:

Luongo to Leafs for Bozak & 1st (year not specified)

Mostly posting so that if it turns out correct, he will become the new SamJam (i.e. he must be right this time because he beat the insiders last time!!). Not releasing his name as it was simply a friend posting on Facebook, but he has some interesting connections.

EDIT: should note that he claims this is a done deal, not the current offer.

No, that's not enough. MG would want a prospect along with that package. The pick will most likely be a 2nd. I don't think Nonis is going to make the same mistake as Burke did and give up a 1st rounder which may haunt him for the rest of his life.

#1913 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Edited by WHL rocks, 13 January 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#1914 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,159 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

You and I have both proposed something along these line. I've said in the past Bozak, Kadri and Franson, you've said same thing with 2nd rounder on top. I think this is a fair deal, if we get the 2nd its a bonus. Its also a realistic deal.

Yeah I think we should try to get a 2nd rounder, Franson's value isn't that high after struggling, who knows if he even cracks the leafs roster full time and Bozak is a pending UFA so I think it is a reasonable request adding the 2nd.

zackass.png

#1915 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

So the latest rumor from hockeyyinsiderr is:

Luongo + Raymond + 3rd round pick

for

Bozak + Kadri + Gunarsson + 2nd round pick

I know it`s not the best source, but it`s still interesting to discuss. To me this is a horrible trade for us. We would be trading Luongo for Bozak and Kadri, and Raymond for Gunarsson more or less.

Raymond is a servicable player with a good cap hit. We shouldn`t just be tossing him in in a trade. We`re gonna need forward depth this season, and right now with Kesler out, I don`t think it`s as deep as it needs to be.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1916 LionsNucksCaps

LionsNucksCaps

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Lu, Ballard, Raymond, 1st for Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, Reilly 1st

#1917 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

for

I know it`s not the best source, but it`s still interesting to discuss. To me this is a horrible trade for us. We would be trading Luongo for Bozak and Kadri, and Raymond for Gunarsson more or less.

Raymond is a servicable player with a good cap hit. We shouldn`t just be tossing him in in a trade. We`re gonna need forward depth this season, and right now with Kesler out, I don`t think it`s as deep as it needs to be.

yeah, the more i look at the leafs farm team and current roster is there anyone besides gardiner/reilly that are actually intriguing prospects? Even kadri for all the skill he has (which is a lot) he has some serious issues defensively and apparently now with his fitness.

seems like florida has much more of the type of player the canucks would want in return. question is can gillis get them to bite?

#1918 RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

lu-ray-3rd for kadri-bozak-gunner-2nd

#1919 RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

for

I really hope we do this. IMO we wont get a better offer. Also I think sweatt or rodin are just about as good as raymond and we have jensen ready to make a run at the top6 for the playoffs if need be

#1920 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I bet LU stays until the trade deadline. This shortened schedule is too condensed and will take its toll on Schneider if he has to play so many games without a solid backup up. So with that being said if we don't pick up a solid back up than why not go with two starters that give us a solid chance to win every night? Then come trade deadline assess the situation. If some fringe teams are really desperate to make it into the post season they will pay. Schneider will not be burned out because he would have shared the work load with LU. There is also the choice to keep LU for the playoffs and trade him at the end of this year's playoffs.

Edited by JohnLennon, 14 January 2013 - 01:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.