3455 replies to this topic

#2161 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Not a great comparison but I'll go with it.

You say it was a bad pick, and that he went to early, but everyone had him at #3.

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=24944

http://www.thescouti...kings-top-1-25/

So Gudbranson is in the NHL in his 2nd year, and he would have played last year if it wasn't for contract issues.

Pietrangelo took how many years to make the jump? 3? Don't get me wrong I am a huge Pietrangelo fan, I mean huge, I think this guy is better than Doughty, but just to make that comparison, Gudbranson is 2 years ahead of him.

Gudbranson is basicly Pronger expect a right handed shot, he is huge, skates well, has a bomb of a shot, is nasty, great defensively, smart offensively, high hockey IQ, everything you want in a 6'5 player, there is 0 chance we get him.

Fowler is futher ahead, and he is plays a one dimensional role which is easier to jump into right away, but Gudbranson will be the better player.

Give me a break
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#2162 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Give me a break

Hey that's his style, who knows if he will fulfill his potential or ever be as good as Chris (doubtful) but that's the most comparable style to Gudbranson.

zackass.png

#2163 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Luongo obviously doesn't want to be in Vancouver and by waiting longer Luongo's price is gonna drop dramitically. I'm not sure what Gillis is thinking, but if I were ownership I'd fire him immediately and replace him with a guy who actually knows how to make deals.

Luongo's value could go up if he plays well here in Vancouver and teams like the Leafs and Panthers, who want to make the playoffs, become desperate for what Lu could bring.

Edited by cs2016, 15 January 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#2164 pistolpro327

pistolpro327

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I don't think we're going to win 40-48 games of a 48 game season. Would be nice though :)

hahaha i laughed.

#2165 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

hahaha i laughed.

30 - 13 - 5: 65 points

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#2166 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Jordan Schroeder, Chris Higgins, and Mason Raymond comprise our second line.

But hey, we've got two all-star goalies, right?

:bigblush:

Anyone know if Lu can play wing?

One of the best GD shot blockers in the league King.

And that's not our second line.

Second line will be Higgins, Lappy, Hansen.

Third line will be Raymond, Schroeder, Kassian.

Gonna be some sheer domination regardless.

Alternatively if you add Goc, Upshall and Gudbranson to the lineup, we be jammin'.

Or try the line balance approach

Dank Hank Kassian

HIggins Lapierre Hansen

Raymond Schroeder Burrows

Volpatti Malhotra Pinizzotto
Ebbett Weise

Back end will stabilize everything anyhow.

Edited by oldnews, 16 January 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#2167 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

30 - 13 - 5: 65 points

Damn straight - bang on - and that's if they stumble out of the gate...

#2168 Bobby_Lu1ngo

Bobby_Lu1ngo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think the best thing right now despite the second line issues would be to hold on to Luongo until the deadline. The cap part of things is not an issue this year, it will be next year. Sure the second line is not looking good with Kesler and Booth both out for a while but it;'s a good opportunity to give some of our players such as Schroeder and Kassian some minutes.

We'd be in far worse shape if we trade Luongo for someone like Bozak and then have schneider get injured or something. With the short season keeping both goalies is smart, both will still be playing like they have something to prove. Schneider may still have a poor season for all we know and we could be hating it that we traded Lou so early.

GM's will overpay at the deadline as they always do, and with the short season there will be less time for any team to create separation in the standings so when the deadline rolls around and more teams are on the cusp there will certainly be more players in the luongo sweepstakes.

I dont see the rush in trading him I think we'd only get less for Lou now.
when the puck drops, im there

#2169 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I think the best thing right now despite the second line issues would be to hold on to Luongo until the deadline. The cap part of things is not an issue this year, it will be next year. Sure the second line is not looking good with Kesler and Booth both out for a while but it;'s a good opportunity to give some of our players such as Schroeder and Kassian some minutes.

We'd be in far worse shape if we trade Luongo for someone like Bozak and then have schneider get injured or something. With the short season keeping both goalies is smart, both will still be playing like they have something to prove. Schneider may still have a poor season for all we know and we could be hating it that we traded Lou so early.

GM's will overpay at the deadline as they always do, and with the short season there will be less time for any team to create separation in the standings so when the deadline rolls around and more teams are on the cusp there will certainly be more players in the luongo sweepstakes.

I dont see the rush in trading him I think we'd only get less for Lou now.

Don't you see what a circus that would be?
And Luongo's value is only going to plummet the longer he is the backup!
Gillis really screwed this up. Schneider should have been gone long ago.
Now we are forced to take Leafs junk.

JK.
Very sensible post - and all the more relevant given the fact Eddie Lack is not healthy...
And as far as I'm concerned, when your biggest question marks are Raymond, Kassian and Schroeder - and probably short term - you're not so bad off...

Edited by oldnews, 15 January 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#2170 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Well Booth is out for 4-6 weeks. Basically the whole season. Looks like Luongo trade is more and more likely.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#2171 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

gillis isn't gong to make a trade to fill a spot for 4-6 weeks

#2172 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Well Booth is out for 4-6 weeks. Basically the whole season. Looks like Luongo trade is more and more likely.

Can't tell if sarcastic... 4-6 weeks is roughly about 18 games, about 1/3 of the season. While this might make a Luongo trade slightly more possible, I think that goaltending will be relied upon in the coming weeks to give a weakened offensive team a chance to win every game.
Chicago Blackhawks NHL 14 OCDC League 2013/2014

J. Schultz(81)-Toews(92)-Pacioretty(88)....Keith(90)-Phaneuf(87)................Crawford(86)
Burns(87)-Kadri(85)-Yakupov(83)..............Hjalmarson(85)-N. Schultz(84)....Khabby(76)
Clarkson(83)-Zibanejad(80)-Ennis(82).......Koska(78)-Murray(83)
Kobasew(78)-Hanszus(79)-Morin(76)

#2173 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I think 4-6 weeks is 25 (or so) games.

Trading Luongo for rental players to fill gaps temporarily will only hurt the 'Nucks in the future.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#2174 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

4-6 weeks is basically the whole season huh?

Actually 4 weeks would mean he misses 12 games, 5 weeks would mean he misses 14. Hardly the whole season.

This has no impact on a Luongo trade since we would be trading for a center in a Luongo trade, not a winger.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2175 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Well with a second line of Raymond/Kassian, Schroeder and Higgins/Kassian on the second line and Luongo glued to the bench (basically a waste of an asset), I don't think we make the playoffs. Just sayin'
Posted Image

Previously:

#2176 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Can't tell if sarcastic... 4-6 weeks is roughly about 18 games, about 1/3 of the season. While this might make a Luongo trade slightly more possible, I think that goaltending will be relied upon in the coming weeks to give a weakened offensive team a chance to win every game.

4-6 weeks plus an additional 2 weeks for booth to lose the rust and is actually useful. So more like 6-8 weeks.
Posted Image

Previously:

#2177 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Well with a second line of Raymond/Kassian, Schroeder and Higgins/Kassian on the second line and Luongo glued to the bench (basically a waste of an asset), I don't think we make the playoffs. Just sayin'

Spread the wealth.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Burrows
Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Weiss

With a stro,ng defense and arguably the best goaltending tandem in the NHL, we will be fine.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#2178 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Spread the wealth.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

With a stro,ng defense and arguably the best goaltending tandem in the NHL, we will be fine.

Ugh... Maybe it's just me but that is ugly.
Posted Image

Previously:

#2179 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Luongo won't be glued to the bench. We have 7 sets of back to back games in a 3 and a half month span. He would be playing plenty. Probably around 20 games I would think.

Going 15-5 in those 20 games, instead of 10-10 with an average or unproven backup, could mean the difference of making the playoffs or not.

Posted Image

#2180 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

How about watch them play first, before you just write off guys like Kassian and Schroeder?

Posted Image

#2181 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Booth will be close in about a month from now, he should return around the end of February.

I don't think we should rush this but if we are going for the homerun (Gardiner) I think we should take a step back and look at Bozak or McArthur + Kadri, then something else aswell, 2nd or prospect.

See how Schneids starts then make a move.

zackass.png

#2182 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Spread the wealth.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Nice job. Looks good to me. Well balanced and pretty solid lineup.

Don't want to repeat what you said but it makes so much sense it needs to be......

With strong D and great Goaltending we will be fine.

#2183 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Jensen has 14 goals, 6th in the SEL (and would be the leading scorer on 9 of the 12 teams there) - as a 19 year old...
Not beyond the realm of possibility that this Danish stud could get a call if the Canucks need him...While they're at it, the Canucks could have a talk with his team-mate, undrafted 19 year old center Mattias Janmark-Nylen.

#2184 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Doesn't matter how good your defense and goaltending is. If you can't score goals you won't win. Plain and simple. The Sedins can't do it all.
Posted Image

Previously:

#2185 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,034 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Definetly just you..

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#2186 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

You never know. Kassian playing with the twins for a while could be a blessing - his bridge to confidence at the NHL level.
Kassian has all the tools he needs - and if he were to get on a bit of a roll with them, you just never know...The upside of that situation would be the combination of puck possession/cycling ability and finish that Kassian has, as well as the pushback on the ice with the twins. If Kassian developed Burrows' exceptional quality of relentless puck pursuit, it would be priceless. I think Burrows is as close to an ideal linemate for them as there is, particularly with his penalty killer, defensive backbone background, but what better model for Kassian to emulate? Take no shifts off, work hard in your own end, pursue the puck, hit the boards and go to the net - with that size and footspeed...deadly.

For every guy that steps up like that, it pushes balance down the lineup. I think AV has plenty of quality NHL players to work with even with a couple top 6 out of the lineup.

#2187 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

G-52, starting to get real sick of your whole "posting in the news thread when it's not news" gimmick

#2188 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Spread the wealth.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

This is EXACTLY the lineup I've been saying. I completely agree. We'll be just fine until we get Kesler back. Booth is much easier to replace than Kesler.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2189 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Doesn't matter how good your defense and goaltending is. If you can't score goals you won't win. Plain and simple. The Sedins can't do it all.

Tell that to the NJD and Marty Brodeur.

#2190 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,731 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

Tell that to the NJD and Marty Brodeur.

Or the LA Kings and Quick, or St.Louis Blues and Elliot/Halak.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.