The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

See, how I look at it is 90% of NHL owners/GMs are NOT willing to overlook Luongo's contract. But 10% are because they're desperate and if you're MG, those 10% are going to have to pay pretty close to fair market value for a goalie of Luongo's caliber, despite the contract because MG is now in a position of power (especially now that Van is on the hook for him if he retires).

You left out Voracek. But you're right, Couturier could fit in the top 9...just like Hodgson could have fit in our top 9. But Couturier is naturally a center. Center is where Philly have a LOT of depth. It is a position they can sacrifice youth for a world class goalie.

Right, so that's why Couturier was matched up against Malkin in the playoffs.. a natural assignment for a 19 year old "5th center", he's as valuable as RNH do get a clue. Every center there except Giroux will get traded before Couturier including Schenn. Though it should be noted Philly is trying to convert Couts to a center, he is a natural LW.

You just said it yourself Smashian. if the guy is a poor defensive winger, you sure as hell don't convert him to a center.

Bad idea, bad option - simple as that. Cammalleri is "capable" of playing center as well - he's still a winger, and a lousy option.

And Weiss isn't the missing piece imo - I don't think either are realistic on either side of the equation. Bad move for Florida when there are other options, and not a good fit for Vancouver.

I phrased it wrong, I should have quoted you cause personally after watching all the NJ and FLA games in the playoffs he seemed fine to me.

Cammalleri is like Kessel, niether had the experiance at center Fleischmann has but volunteered (Kessel atleast) to try center.

I think this is pretty much done as I have already proven he can play center, so I'll move onto the Weiss thing.

Weiss would be a great fit here IMO, he has great chemistry with Booth, is a great playmaker, would fit well with Kesler and Booth if you ask me. He brings it all and is a veteran, if you pay attention to him throughout his career (not trying to take a shot at you saying you don't just in general) then you will see there isn't much not to like, he is solid defensively and offensively is the exact player we need and the previous Chemistry with Booth only adds to it.

Almost all the media (Toronto based I might add) seem to put Luongo's value pretty high. They all seem to think he'll go for more than you've been saying. I heard on Edmonton radio Mark Spector say that no combination of Paajarvi, Gagner, and prospects (not including Yak) could fetch Luongo or any major piece.

Explain to me how/where/why Luongo is such an upgrade over Bryzgalov that they can afford to both buyout Bryzgalov and part ways with perhaps the most promising 20 year-old C in the NHL to do accommodate him.

Oldnews ignored my question, so hopefully you can provide some clarity to this mystery.

It's possible that I'm wrong, of course.

But if that's the case, then why did Toronto supposedly only offer Luke Schenn in the summer? Where were the offers from all of these other alleged suitors? I really don't care what Mike Gillis wants - I care what another party might be willing to pay. Gillis can set the price at whatever the hell he wants. That certainly doesn't mean that he'll get it.

Way I see it, Lu's age reduces his value, his contract length reduces his value, his NTC reduces his value, his shaky playoff reputation reduces his value, the fact that he wants out reduces his value, the fact that the Canucks have another guy to start in net reduces his value, etc. And of course, by "value" I'm referring to what the acquirer might be willing to pay, not the value that he will bring to the acquiring team as their new starter (which I can't seem to get through oldnews' skull).

See, how I look at it is 90% of NHL owners/GMs are NOT willing to overlook Luongo's contract. But 10% are because they're desperate and if you're MG, those 10% are going to have to pay pretty close to fair market value for a goalie of Luongo's caliber, despite the contract because MG is now in a position of power (especially now that Van is on the hook for him if he retires).

Holmgren: Hey bud I realized I messed up with the Bryzgalov signing so I'm here to buy him out with your money.

Owner: Get the $&@& out of my office.

And are you serious about Grossman? He's a stay at home d-man! I know this may sound crazy, but his job as a defenseman is to play defense, not offense. Go figure right.

Real life repeated example - I can have a person come and offer me half of what I am asking one day (for item A - a solid walnut dresser) - I refuse that lowball, explaining that I have invested more value than the person is offering and it's a waste of my time as the item is worth more in my hand than half the cash - and the next a person shows up and offers what I am asking, having a better, more realistic estimation of market value. They see the item in question differently, and have different needs. You think there is only buyer 1 in the market - I acknowledge that there is a buyer 1, but also a buyer 2 if you have any patience.

Archived