The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I don't think the Florida deal is "bad" Smashian - I don't think it makes sense to either side.

But regarding value, let me give you a comparable.

Jordan Staal has 248 career points in 6 NHL seasons as the Penguins 3rd line C.

He was a pending UFA.

He was traded for Brandon Sutter, Brian DuMoulin and a 1st.

He then re-signed for $6 million a season.

Weiss 237 in the past four (on the offensively challenged Panthers)

Pending UFA.

First line center.

Will re-sign for $3.5? I don't think so Smashian.

edit: ditto King. If the Canucks will need cap space under the reduced 64milion ceiling to re-sign Edler, Higgins, Lapierre, why would I be interested in Weiss in a different deal? What difference does it make whether it's Luongo or Kassian/Jensen?

There's also Peter Mueller that we haven't considered. Meets everyone halfway. Still very young and can actually help us now if healthy. Everyone seems to be worried about the 1 year rental thing for whatever reason; whereas, I see it as giving the team more options and money for next season. Regardless, at least Mueller would be an RFA so we'd still maintain his rights.

There's also Peter Mueller that we haven't considered. Meets everyone halfway. Still very young and can actually help us now if healthy. Everyone seems to be worried about the 1 year rental thing for whatever reason; whereas, I see it as giving the team more options and money for next season. Regardless, at least Mueller would be an RFA so we'd still maintain his rights.

Not sure what you are talking about, if your bashing me for not thinking you should think before you post terrible proposals.

Well Nonis saying he wouldn't move young players like Gardiner and Reilly are pretty good indications, and it is well known if you have been following the specualtion closely that Gillis wants Bjugstad and Florida hasn't been willing to part with him.

Not rocket science.

Has anyone thought about the possibility of Briere+ for Luongo? I know he has injury problems, but could he work on Kesler's wing? I don't think his value is out of reach for Luongo to fetch, but tell me if I'm wrong.

Archived