#2581 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I believe this to be true.

Some of you may remember Luongo's brother's tweet a few months back. It was something to do with CBJ and Nash trade. Luongo (the brother) tweeted something like "at least Howson approaches Nash with a traded to team Nash has previously approved" meaning MG approached Luongo with trade to a team Luongo had not pre - approved.

So Gillis blew it
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#2582 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Luongo really has no right to complain about Gillis coming to him with a team that wasn't on his pre-aproved list. After all, he threw a wrench in the spokes right away saying that he would welcome a trade. And then like a month later saying that he wanted to go to Florida.

You think that hurt Gillis's bargaining position just a little? Luongo has no one to blame but himself for this deal taking so long.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 January 2013 - 05:04 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2583 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

So Gillis blew it

Not sure I understand how Gillis blew it if Luongo refused to waive his NTC to TO.

#2584 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Phoenix could finish ahead of us and Nashville and i predict Edmonton wins the division.

Look we basically have no second line for half the season the way it looks right now so dont get to cocky buddy

Lol..Oil forwards are injury prone and soft and just wait untill Anaheim runs Shultz after the screw job he did to them. Ever see the dirty hit on Hamhuis by Getslaff, Shultz better keep his head on a swivel.

#2585 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Not sure I understand how Gillis blew it if Luongo refused to waive his NTC to TO.

Because even if he asks if Florida is still interested you present it to him as there not serious and are not interested
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#2586 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Phoenix could finish ahead of us and Nashville and i predict Edmonton wins the division.

Look we basically have no second line for half the season the way it looks right now so dont get to cocky buddy

I started off like this: :blink:
Then ended off like this: :lol:

Even in a 48 game season we will not have "basically...no second line for half the season" since Booth is only out 4-6 weeks (maybe 13 games) and Kesler has been improving daily from most reports and may be only a few weeks away.

Phoenix may be wiser after another year but barely made it into the playoffs last year. Detroit and San Jose are just another year older, not better. Columbus is still destined for the bottom and Anaheim, Calgary and Dallas haven't done much to improve their outlook overall. Nashville lost one half of their top D pairing, but also Kostitsyn and Radulov, plus their reliable backup, Lindback.

The only plausible argument you've made is Edmonton, where their young stars are another year older, and they've added to their defence at least, but expecting them to win the division is a bit much just yet. Possible, yes. Plausible, no.

I can see the way your future arguments are going to go, so I'm not too worried.

Edited by elvis15, 18 January 2013 - 05:15 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2587 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Lol..Oil forwards are injury prone and soft and just wait untill Anaheim runs Shultz after the screw job he did to them. Ever see the dirty hit on Hamhuis by Getslaff, Shultz better keep his head on a swivel.

There injury prone ? thats crazy in denial talk right there , Like i said in a previous post about the oilers D

Time will tell what the oilers do but im predicting they do better then us
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#2588 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Because even if he asks if Florida is still interested you present it to him as there not serious and are not interested

No, can't lie like that to a star player let alone any player.

MG would be known as a liar in player circles and lose all credibility. His word would not mean much after he pulled a stunt like that.

A man's word is a man's word. It's one thing to go on TEAM 1040 and do a bunch of lawyer speak but you don't lie in the sense you are suggesting.

#2589 Wolf smell

Wolf smell

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

There injury prone ? thats crazy in denial talk right there , Like i said in a previous post about the oilers D

Time will tell what the oilers do but im predicting they do better then us

I could see them making the playoffs, as they'll likely jump out of the gate. Better than us? Highly unlikely. They have less grit than us and worse defense and goaltending. Great offense as long as they don't get knocked around too much

#2590 HUFFY

HUFFY

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Luongo really has no right to complain about Gillis coming to him with a team that wasn't on his pre-aproved list. After all, he threw a wrench in the spokes right away saying that he would welcome a trade. And then like a month later saying that he wanted to go to Florida.

You think that hurt Gillis's bargaining position just a little? Luongo has no one to blame but himself for this deal taking so long.

If u're gonna quote Lu then please do it with some semblance of accuracy. Lu stated he would welcome a trade if it bettered the team. He has been more then cooperative, patient and flexible with this team and his ace in the hole being his NTC. Remember, it was MG that signed him to this 12 year + 65 million dollar + NTC albatross. It wasn't Lu who pulled himself outta last seasons dismal failure against LA. I find it ironic how the team in front of him couldn't score, check or defend and yet he fields the blame for the whole teams failure. It just goes to show just how amateurish our organisation really is. It was the same sh!t from the team that couldn't score in game 7 against the Bruins two years ago!! Look at the Hodgson trade last year and now we have no viable second line!! Betcha MG regrets that move!!! Kassian isn't half the player CoHo is and Buffalo is laughin' all the way to the bank!!!

#2591 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

If u're gonna quote Lu then please do it with some semblance of accuracy. Lu stated he would welcome a trade if it bettered the team. He has been more then cooperative, patient and flexible with this team and his ace in the hole being his NTC. Remember, it was MG that signed him to this 12 year + 65 million dollar + NTC albatross. It wasn't Lu who pulled himself outta last seasons dismal failure against LA. I find it ironic how the team in front of him couldn't score, check or defend and yet he fields the blame for the whole teams failure. It just goes to show just how amateurish our organisation really is. It was the same sh!t from the team that couldn't score in game 7 against the Bruins two years ago!! Look at the Hodgson trade last year and now we have no viable second line!! Betcha MG regrets that move!!! Kassian isn't half the player CoHo is and Buffalo is laughin' all the way to the bank!!!

Oh, so you must be a fan of the Canucks? We all really believe that...

Why do you waste your time here? We could care less how much you think this team sucks.

The Canucks are better than the chump team that you prbably cheer for. ::D

Posted Image

#2592 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Source: Tony Gallagher on team 1040 last hour

Tony, BMac and Taylor were discussing the Luongo situation. Essentailly they said.

-this all took place at the draft.
-deal was very close to being done between Vancouver and Toronto-perhaps even done- they were not sure.
-the trade was presented to Luongo and he asked if Florida was still interested.
-MG said FLA was still interested but not close
-Lou said no to the proposed TO deal and said he wanted to wait for florida.

From the news only thread
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#2593 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

The media and fans were going crazy at the idea of Luongo coming there. Like he would have been the best thing to ever happen to the Leafs.

More proof, if any more were needed, that Toronto hockey fans are insane.

#2594 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

MG had to sign him to that deal, else his cap hit would have been too high, and we would have not been able to sign some of the players we have in the last 2 years...

The cap hit isn't a big deal, as long as he can still play, which he can.

He would have rocked in TO, but why would he want to go there and take them to the playoffs? They have no chance of winning, and I'll bet Lu wants to go to a team capable of winning. Like Florida ... er... well, at least they made the playoffs...

#2595 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I just had a thought.

Speaking hypothetically here; if Luongo had in one way or another said that he would not waive to go to Toronto, why would Mike Gillis tell anyone that? Could he be playing this game with Toronto knowing that Luongo won't go there to help him drive the price up when the next serious bidder comes up? He could keep the price high and used the Toronto media to show that any team inquiring had competition.

Do you think GMs do that?

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2596 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

MG had to sign him to that deal, else his cap hit would have been too high, and we would have not been able to sign some of the players we have in the last 2 years...

The cap hit isn't a big deal, as long as he can still play, which he can.

He would have rocked in TO, but why would he want to go there and take them to the playoffs? They have no chance of winning, and I'll bet Lu wants to go to a team capable of winning. Like Florida ... er... well, at least they made the playoffs...

Exactly. Which would be harder to trade? Luongo on a 6 or 7 year deal with a 7 million dollar cap hit? Or Luongo on a 12 year deal with a 5.33 million dollar cap hit?

With the cap going down next season, I'm doubting any teams would want a goalie with a 7 million dollar cap hit.

Luongo made this team a legitimate contender, and made players want to sign here. Without him, we go back to being an average team that signs goalies like Irbe, Skudra, and Snow. We needed that deal at the time in order to stay a top franchise. Luckily now we have Schneider to take over and take the reigns, but at the time that was uncertain.

The deal will get done, it's just a matter of time.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 January 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image

#2597 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

You seriously think Ebbett is going to be our #2 centre for half the season or do you think Gillis has got something up his sleeve.

Like his Luongo sleeve
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#2598 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

When has MG or AV said Cory will be starting most games? Who here honestly expects Cory to play even 2/3 of the games? i dont. Unless of course he plays his way there. The fans/media have just assumed Cory will be our no 1 based on him getting the nod in LA. Big deal. This isnt some Colin Kaepernick/Alex Smith situation where there can only be one starter. I think of goalies more like startng pitchers where your team can still play at the same level while rotating that position.
Posted Image

#2599 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

When has MG or AV said Cory will be starting most games? Who here honestly expects Cory to play even 2/3 of the games? i dont. Unless of course he plays his way there. The fans/media have just assumed Cory will be our no 1 based on him getting the nod in LA. Big deal. This isnt some Colin Kaepernick/Alex Smith situation where there can only be one starter. I think of goalies more like startng pitchers where your team can still play at the same level while rotating that position.

Honestly, with this condensed schedule. It would make sense to play both goalies 50/50. They're going to have to be our MVPs with the injuries already mounting on us.

#2600 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Luongo, lol. He's looking forward to it.

Strombone@strombone1
Can't wait!!! “@NHL: #Canucks fans, are you ready to see Cory Schneider as No. 1 in net? #hockeyisback

Edited by WiDeN, 18 January 2013 - 07:12 PM.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2601 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Gallagher is bullting. No way he knew that information since June, only for him to tell it in January of the next year. These phony insiders make up so much crap it's unbelievable.

#2602 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

That Damien Cox is a complete moron, he should quit acting like he knows everything about our situation and our players when he knows nothing.

zackass.png

#2603 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

The subtle jabs continue at all levels of the Toronto media.

"Vancouver is in no rush to move their 5.3 million dollar backup. They now have 9.3 million dollars in goaltending."

It's funny that they can't seem to understand the idea of a tandem. I think the thought of having one quality goaltender is so foreign to them, that having two just blows their mind.

Boston has more money tied up in goaltending, and one of them isn't even playing. Yet, does anyone not think they're a contender?

Posted Image

#2604 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

I don't see how MG hands are tied, at worst, he can trade Cory Schneider and get a lot for him in the trade market.
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#2605 miked1101

miked1101

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

The subtle jabs continue at all levels of the Toronto media.

"Vancouver is in no rush to move their 5.3 million dollar backup. They now have 9.3 million dollars in goaltending."

It's funny that they can't seem to understand the idea of a tandem. I think the thought of having one quality goaltender is so foreign to them, that having two just blows their mind.

Boston has more money tied up in goaltending, and one of them isn't even playing. Yet, does anyone not think they're a contender?

9.3 million in Luongo/Schneider is a better position than 2.4 million in Reimer/Scrivens
Posted Image

#2606 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

9.3 million in Luongo/Schneider is a better position than 2.4 million in Reimer/Scrivens

No kidding.

They also listed the top teams with lots of money tied up in goaltenders.

1. Boston
2. Vancouver
3. Nashville
4. New York

Seems to me it's not hurting any of those other teams. Aren't the Rangers and Bruins cup contenders too?

It's just desperation coming from the Toronto media. They all built up the Luongo to Toronto thing so big, and now they're pissed because it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. So now they try and spin it as a negative.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 January 2013 - 08:10 PM.

Posted Image

#2607 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

It is true that you can win with only average goaltending (Detroit did it for years, Chicago '09/'10).

The problem is, you need HOF/Norris calibre defencemen and stacked offences to do so. I'm not sure Dion Phaneuf qualifies ([/understatement]) but good luck with that one T.O...

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#2608 leftcoast

leftcoast

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

One thing that never gets talked about is the part of the Luongo contract where the team can opt out after so many years, Luongo also has that option... What does that mean in regards to the Luongo rule if you were to exercise the option. Does this make his contract more appealing to other teams?

Does anyone know the answer to this, the media hasn't touched on it, or at least K haven't heard anything.

View PostBedBeats™, on 26 January 2010 - 02:09 PM, said:

Totally.....i want a fresh, fully healed Willie

#2609 Fantasticborat

Fantasticborat

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I disagree about T-Bay, and I have since this thing started.

Other than Stamkos and Hedman, the core of the team is not really all that young. Vinny, Marty, Ohlie, Malone, Eric Brewer, Matt Carle....and now they add Sami Salo....

As D-Money says, it's extremely optimistic to say that Lindback will turn out to be a solid starter. Right now, their only other option is Mathieu Garon.

Considering the improvements made in Carolina, the Lightning could easily find themselves on the outside looking in once again, unless they can somehow improve on their 30th best GAA.

If only someone had a bona fide starter available....

Not sure what you are getting at? They have a lot more options to trade us than those players. What about a player like Ted Purcell? He could be good, he's 28 and can play center or RW. He got 65 points last year!Throw in a Pouliot and a back up goalie and I think that could get er done

#2610 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Gallagher is bullting. No way he knew that information since June, only for him to tell it in January of the next year. These phony insiders make up so much crap it's unbelievable.

You could be right but....what if it's true and now that MG has been unable to get a deal done, he is releasing this through good friend Gallagher to spin it so that Lu will take the heat for being unwilling to "do what's best for the team"?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.