3455 replies to this topic

#2611 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

GILLIS RIPS MAPLE LEAFS, TORONTO MEDIA FOR PROPAGATING THE NOTION THAT THE CANUCKS HAVE "ASKED FOR TOO MUCH" IN A LUONGO TRADE

"Fair value is different for every team that you speak to because they have different players, they have different concerns and different contractual issues that play into what they have available that you might want. The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right. That's nothing new in this business and it's' not the type of pressure that I'm going to succumb too."

"I don't care, there's a lot of stuff that's going to happen in the first two weeks of this season. If you start giving all-star players away you'll be at the bottom of this league in a hurry. So we have two really good goalies, I don't know what's going to happen with others team - players might not play well, there may be injuries that they have at that position which may change the landscape. But as it sits today, we need to get something in return that is going to help our team and we're not in the business of just helping other teams so...
I'm comfortable with both these guys starting the season here, I'll be comfortable if we finish the season with them. If something happens and comes our way that allows us to improve, then we're going to do it. And it's all subject to Luongo wanting to go to that city. So, it is a little bit more complicated than people like to think but we feel very comfortable with where we sit today with our goalies."

Genius reply by a genius for all the genius out there. In one stroke, Gillis paints Toronto and its media into a corner like the envious cry baby it is. Love it.

#2612 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,123 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Not sure what you are getting at? They have a lot more options to trade us than those players. What about a player like Ted Purcell? He could be good, he's 28 and can play center or RW. He got 65 points last year!Throw in a Pouliot and a back up goalie and I think that could get er done

You're not sure because you didn't read the quote that I was responding to. The poster was talking about tampa Bay not being interested because they are a "young" team and therefore would rather have a young goaltender to develop along with the rest of the team.

I believe there are options in Tampa Bay that the Canucks would be interested in. In fact, I mentioned Purcell in a later post.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2613 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Trading Schneider honestly is starting to seem like the better choice. Even if he is the better goalie, we'll pull in a TON trading him away. Rather have a star added through a Schneids trade and keep Luo, than get a few okay players and keep Schneids.

#2614 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I don't see how MG hands are tied, at worst, he can trade Cory Schneider and get a lot for him in the trade market.

If Luongo is the goaltender he is, then that might just be why happens. But make no mistake, the price for Schneider, for different reasons than Luongo's, might be as steep (fair) when all is said and done.

#2615 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

You could be right but....what if it's true and now that MG has been unable to get a deal done, he is releasing this through good friend Gallagher to spin it so that Lu will take the heat for being unwilling to "do what's best for the team"?!

You don't think Gillis creating a GM vs player rift/controversy only lowers Luongo's value?

Why would Gillis do that now, before he deals him?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#2616 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

You don't think Gillis creating a GM vs player rift/controversy only lowers Luongo's value?

Why would Gillis do that now, before he deals him?

Maybe it's becoming clear he won't be able to deal him for anything near to what he has claimed. It's all speculation anyways. Gallagher may be blowing bubbles. If Galllagher is close to MG, he wouldn't release something like this unless MG said it was okay. If so, there has to be an angle MG is playing.

#2617 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Maybe it's becoming clear he won't be able to deal him for anything near to what he has claimed. It's all speculation anyways. Gallagher may be blowing bubbles. If Galllagher is close to MG, he wouldn't release something like this unless MG said it was okay. If so, there has to be an angle MG is playing.

Personally, I think the friendship angle is way overblown. Tony G & Gillis were on the same page re: Bure vs Burke, their mutual admiration of all things Detroit Red Wing and that's about it. Gallagher whispered into Acquillini's ear the whole inside story about Bure, probably a personal favourite of FA's, and that was it.

Gallagher & Gillis are clearly on different wave lengths re: AV and I don't think this little hotstove scuttlebut is any different.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#2618 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

The subtle jabs continue at all levels of the Toronto media.

"Vancouver is in no rush to move their 5.3 million dollar backup. They now have 9.3 million dollars in goaltending."

It's funny that they can't seem to understand the idea of a tandem. I think the thought of having one quality goaltender is so foreign to them, that having two just blows their mind.

Boston has more money tied up in goaltending, and one of them isn't even playing. Yet, does anyone not think they're a contender?

This coming from the team that just waived two 'centers' who were making 8.25 million, were a combined -33, combined for a mere 54 points, and were two of the worst two way players on the sad Leafs roster lol.

The Canucks are spending another million on the most crucial position and arguably the best tandem in the NHL - but they should be taking pointers from the Leafs about how to allocate cap hit LOL.

It's not difficult to see why this confuses Toronto- a team that is "built from the goaltender out" haha.

#2619 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Worm hole
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#2620 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

One thing that never gets talked about is the part of the Luongo contract where the team can opt out after so many years, Luongo also has that option... What does that mean in regards to the Luongo rule if you were to exercise the option. Does this make his contract more appealing to other teams?

Does anyone know the answer to this, the media hasn't touched on it, or at least K haven't heard anything.

That's a good question. I don't think it exempts them from the cap savings penalty - the end years are back diving - but it's an interesting technicality. It would effect the number of years that the penalty is paid over, depending upon when either side opted out, assuming he doesn't waive to be moved in the meantime.

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#2621 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

One thing that never gets talked about is the part of the Luongo contract where the team can opt out after so many years, Luongo also has that option... What does that mean in regards to the Luongo rule if you were to exercise the option. Does this make his contract more appealing to other teams?

Does anyone know the answer to this, the media hasn't touched on it, or at least K haven't heard anything.

Opt out means Luongo can ask for trade, or Canucks can ask for trade . Not that the contract gets null and void if either party exercises their opt out clause.

All contracts are guaranteed as per CBA. All contacts must be signed within the parameters set out in CBA.

It's really a meaningless clause in the contract, the present situation is proof.

#2622 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

On the other side of the coin....all this trade talk must be getting to Luongo. How is he supposed to focus with all this "stuff" running through his head? Theres no way this is not affecting him.

#2623 DhillonCanuck

DhillonCanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Last Page
Posted Image

#2624 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Or maybe Gallagher is not from here and spews articles for reads and Gillis has "exposed the Toronto media for what they are"?

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 18 January 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#2625 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Gallagher makes an idiot of himself on a regular basis.

There are two reasons his latest rumour has a chemical composition very similar to this:

Nitrogen - 20% - 90%
Hydrogen - 0% - 50%
Carbon Dioxide - 10% - 30%
Oxygen - 0% - 10%
Methane - 0% - 10%

If he's claiming to know the internal dealings between Gillis and Burke, he is simply flatulating.

Gallagher did nothing but alienate himself from Gills throughout the Hodgson controversy - that was essentially made a public spectacle by Tony Gallagher. Gallagher's disturbances are pretty notorious, but here is that one again:

"I think the Canucks are really playing with fire. In fact, I know they’re playing with fire with this business of what they’re doing to Hodgson. They may not have to accede to demands to be traded, if in fact they come, but you don’t want to be messing around.
Once a player starts doing that, starts asking, if you’ve gotta say no, then you’re starting to really sour the relationship and I don’t think they want to go there. They are perilously close to that kind of situation. I mean, if I had been Cody’s agent I would have been asking long ago. They have been way more than patient."

If Gallagher were Hodgson's agent, he would have demanded a trade long ago. That was written in December, only months into the season - and Gallagher was already obsessed with the idea that Hodgson wasn't getting enough ice-time. Just plain ridiculous, but needless to say, making no friends among the Canucks administration.

Clearly Gallagher (and Botchford) are the last guys Gillis has on speed dial.

There is simly no way imo that Gillis shares sensitive information with these two loose wheels.

On the other hand, if Gallagher has gleaned his 'information' from a reliable Toronto source rather than from Gillis, Toronto would be well aware that Luongo isn't interested in going there. They've been dancing the Luongo trade dance for months and months since. The endless posturing and obsessing over Luongo would be an utter waste of time if they had been apprised that Luongo wouldn't go there.

So is Nonis/Toronto the 'reliable' source of this 'information'?
Is Gillis the reliable source?

I'd put my money on neither. Gallagher is not and does not have a reliable source.

What he appears to be regurgitating is the claim that Botchford made and later backtracked upon and rescinded - that Toronto offered Schenn, Gillis accepted, and Luongo turned the trade down. I didn't buy that bull$#!t at the time, and I don't buy it today. It's oldnews and bad news. If that offer were made, my money would be on Gillis rejecting that himself. Despite the love affair that some people in this market have with disposable Leaf assets, I just don't see that deal as value for Luongo - not even remotely close.

For these reasons I don't believe a word out of Gallagher.

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#2626 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Or maybe Gallagher is not from here and spews articles for reads and Gillis has "exposed the Toronto media for what they are"?

Unfortunately Gallagher is from here - but may as well work for another market.

If we could trade him and Botchford to Toronto for three months of snowstorms I'd take it.

#2627 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

If any of you need more insight into the mind of Tony Gallagher, have a read.

He maintains that the Neely trade is the reason the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup Final two years ago (I suppose he's also implying by extension that the Hodgson trade will cause the Canucks to lose to the Buffalo Sabres in the SCF of 2037).

http://www.theprovin...9343/story.html

#2628 leftcoast

leftcoast

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Opt out means Luongo can ask for trade, or Canucks can ask for trade . Not that the contract gets null and void if either party exercises their opt out clause.

All contracts are guaranteed as per CBA. All contacts must be signed within the parameters set out in CBA.

It's really a meaningless clause in the contract, the present situation is proof.

Thanks for clearing thst up.

View PostBedBeats™, on 26 January 2010 - 02:09 PM, said:

Totally.....i want a fresh, fully healed Willie

#2629 The Juice

The Juice

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Agree with Gillis regarding using the media as a tool. We all know that Toronto is the centre of the hockey universe, they always get the prefered time slots even when they play on the west coast. I'm sick of hearing about every big ticket name rumoured to be going to Toronto. That team is an albatross for the players. Who would want to play there is beyond me. They need to go the route of the Edmonton oilers and rebuild the hard way. You have to admit, there fans are die-hard. I mean what have they been able to cheer for since Sundin left. Nada..... to my point.

I'd love to hear a new Rumour about Lu. Something advantageous for both teams involved. Ideally somebody to grow along side Kassian. I'd love to See Glennie and B. Schenn from the WJC reunited with him, but pulling those two pieces out of DAL and PHI would be extremely tough. Also a pipe dream to get Lucic here if ever there was a way. I always thought him and Kesler together would annihilate the entire league together

But I will miss Lou if he leaves this season.

#2630 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Agree with Gillis regarding using the media as a tool. We all know that Toronto is the centre of the hockey universe, they always get the prefered time slots even when they play on the west coast. I'm sick of hearing about every big ticket name rumoured to be going to Toronto. That team is an albatross for the players. Who would want to play there is beyond me. They need to go the route of the Edmonton oilers and rebuild the hard way. You have to admit, there fans are die-hard. I mean what have they been able to cheer for since Sundin left. Nada..... to my point.

I'd love to hear a new Rumour about Lu. Something advantageous for both teams involved. Ideally somebody to grow along side Kassian. I'd love to See Glennie and B. Schenn from the WJC reunited with him, but pulling those two pieces out of DAL and PHI would be extremely tough. Also a pipe dream to get Lucic here if ever there was a way. I always thought him and Kesler together would annihilate the entire league together

But I will miss Lou if he leaves this season.

I like Glennie too, but if he was in the Canucks system we'd have to endure more threads along the lines of "multiple warning signs of Scott Glennie"... He was supposed to be a Star, and dominate the AHL, but he had only 37 points in 70 games in the AHL. Why did we trade for this guy? Who cares if he's a speedy young prospect with a great shot who played in the WHL - he's a bust. He should be a productive top 6 NHL player by now. He's never gonna be as good a Hodgson lol.

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#2631 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

Gillis hold all the cards right now. In a shortened season, having 2 all-star goalies only increases your chance to win. It's clear that Luongo will stay if needed, he has friends on this team and is in no hurry to be dealt to a bottom dweller. Gillis was right to call out the Toronto media, as it does not help his situation if these media types are filling air space with Luongo rumours. The only thing we want from Toronto is youth, something in which they aren't willing to give up. So screw the stalemate with Toronto and move to a different market, ensuring that Nonis (Burke lite) gets canned as well.

From what I've seen everyone on here asking for is Kadri, Gardiner and maybe a pick. Gardiner plays left D, a place we have since filled with signing Edler long term, while Kadri is an undersized, over-hyped prospect in which we have in Schroeder (I love the kid, don't get me wrong). The more realistic proposals centre around Bozak, an offensive centre approaching UFA. Bozak, on a healthy Canucks roster fits as a 3rd line centre, hardly worth dealing a star player for. So we are left with the deduction that Toronto is simply not a suitable trading partner, even if our demands were met. This is of course without factoring Luongo's ultimate decision of where to go to, which I highly doubt a player of his calibre would willingly choose to go to the player graveyard that is the Toronto fan base.

So we are left with Luongo, a 5.3m cap hit as a back up goaltender in a shortened season - things could be worse. I'll take a 1-2 punch in Schneider/Luongo over a decreased value in a trade or filling the Luongo void with Cannata; as we currently do not have a healthy goaltender signed beyond him.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2632 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

Maybe GIllis hit a nerve. Even Dreger on TSN tonight said that a soon to be UFA (Bozak), an unproven prospect (Kadri) and a pick isn't going to land a goalie that will change the whole dynamic of a team.

Unless the Leafs change their tune, they are out of the Luongo sweepstakes.

I hear Edmonton just put Khabibulin on IR...RNH would look good in a Nucks jersey? :bigblush:

#2633 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hilarious. Even worse than King's suggestion the Nucks don't make the playoffs. Pray tell, who are the only 4-5 teams they won't beat out this year? Columbus? Phoenix? Anaheim? Dallas? Colorado? Edmonton? Calgary? Nashville?

There are surprises every year. There will probably even be more surprises in a year like this one.

I see a lot of negative convergences surrounding this team all at once, which was the basis of my prediction. If you folks would consume information and opinions from places other than CDC, you might realize that predictions like mine (or his) really aren't that crazy/far-fetched.

#2634 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

There injury prone ? thats crazy in denial talk right there , Like i said in a previous post about the oilers D

Time will tell what the oilers do but im predicting they do better then us

Strange that everybody pointing out Edmonton's "weak" D doesn't seem to have an issue with the Canucks having 1 first line, 1 third line, and 2 fourth lines.

#2635 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

I just had a thought.

Speaking hypothetically here; if Luongo had in one way or another said that he would not waive to go to Toronto, why would Mike Gillis tell anyone that? Could he be playing this game with Toronto knowing that Luongo won't go there to help him drive the price up when the next serious bidder comes up? He could keep the price high and used the Toronto media to show that any team inquiring had competition.

Do you think GMs do that?

What's the point? Doesn't change the fundamental reality that there are very, very few potential buyers for Luongo, nor does it change the fundamental reality that the Canucks must get rid of him.

Playing games won't do anything for Gillis' leverage, in a deal like this one, unfortunately.

#2636 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

Phoenix could finish ahead of us and Nashville and i predict Edmonton wins the division.

Look we basically have no second line for half the season the way it looks right now so dont get to cocky buddy

I laughed so hard when I read this. I gave you plus one for the entertainment value.

#2637 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Exactly. Which would be harder to trade? Luongo on a 6 or 7 year deal with a 7 million dollar cap hit? Or Luongo on a 12 year deal with a 5.33 million dollar cap hit?

With the cap going down next season, I'm doubting any teams would want a goalie with a 7 million dollar cap hit.

The answer is clearly the latter. A term that's twice as long is FAR more difficult to move than a roughly 30% premium on cap hit.

#2638 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Boston has more money tied up in goaltending, and one of them isn't even playing. Yet, does anyone not think they're a contender?

Have either of Boston's goaltenders asked to be traded?

#2639 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

What about a player like Ted Purcell? He could be good, he's 28 and can play center or RW. He got 65 points last year!Throw in a Pouliot and a back up goalie and I think that could get er done

:lol: <----------- Steve Yzerman when offered this proposal

#2640 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

Clearly Gallagher (and Botchford) are the last guys Gillis has on speed dial.

There is simly no way imo that Gillis shares sensitive information with these two loose wheels.

Gillis is a jackass. Listen to the guy on the radio. Condescending, rude, disrespectful, just not a good guy at all. Of course he's not "sharing" information with these guys - that's not the point. These guys are around the team enough and smart enough to know what's really going on.

The whole world knew that Hodgson wasn't getting enough ice time. Tony was stating what everyone was discussing. As bad a player as you claim that he is, I would venture a guess that you were the type that was pumping his tires on this site very consistently, until the day that he was traded - at which point his value to you dropped immensely (imagine that).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.