3455 replies to this topic

#2671 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

On trade deadline day, TSN analyst Matthew Barnaby reported that some players in the Western Conference were actually predicting the pending demise of the Calgary Flames -- due to the acquisition of a dressing-room "cancer" in Olli Jokinen.

Tell this to Matthew Barnaby. I'm just the messenger. Interestingly enough, the "demise" actually did happen roughly 6 months after Jokinen was acquired, when they inexplicably traded Dion Phaneuf to Toronto.

BTW - did you and oldnews happen to see Michael Frolik's beauty goal today?

:bigblush:

Alright I would love to see someone more reliable say it, because it wouldn't happen, guy wouldn't have been a captain everywhere he has been if he wasn't loaded with Character and Leadership like he is.

And no I didn't saw Kane's goal then switched to Flyers/Pens, easily the most exciting game right now.

zackass.png

#2672 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I think Calgary's going to get what it deserves for maligning Jokinen so ridiculously. He produced at an impressive level in Calgary despite playing for a team with a weak blueline, no depth behind him (ie he faced all the toughest matchups), he played injured alot due to the fact they had nothing to replace hime with, and he did it for a bargain cap hit. Now they're going to get to watch him play in a better context, and I'm betting he'll have yet another really good season in the Peg, while Calgary tells themselves they have a good chance of winning while, up the middle, they are one of the most rag-tag groups in the NHL.
I wouldn't have minded at all seeing the Canucks sign Jokinen to play between Higgins and Hansen after Kesler returned, but he's simply worth too much.

Yeah Calgary was stupid to let him go, and he would have been very nice hear but he got more than we would offer, both in what his role on the team would be and money.

zackass.png

#2673 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Alright I would love to see someone more reliable say it, because it wouldn't happen, guy wouldn't have been a captain everywhere he has been if he wasn't loaded with Character and Leadership like he is.

And no I didn't saw Kane's goal then switched to Flyers/Pens, easily the most exciting game right now.

Where are you watching Flyers/Pens game, It's not on Center Ice.

Edit: Got it. It's on GameCenter but not on NHLCI for some reason.

Edited by WHL rocks, 19 January 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#2674 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

On trade deadline day, TSN analyst Matthew Barnaby reported that some players in the Western Conference were actually predicting the pending demise of the Calgary Flames -- due to the acquisition of a dressing-room "cancer" in Olli Jokinen.

Tell this to Matthew Barnaby. I'm just the messenger. Interestingly enough, the "demise" actually did happen roughly 6 months after Jokinen was acquired, when they inexplicably traded Dion Phaneuf to Toronto.

BTW - did you and oldnews happen to see Michael Frolik's beauty goal today?

LOL. You've got one helluva sense of humour.

Clearly Calgary moved Phaneuf because of Jokinen...?
What I noticed was that the Flames actually had a far better young left side defenseman pushing his way up the roster. I'd take Giordano over Phaneuf anyday - even moreso if you take their caphits into consideration - no contest.

I noticed that Phaneuf going to Toronto and taking the C has coincided with the Leafs meteoric rise to... mulch.

And Barnaby reporting that Jokinen is a "cancer" - I'm not going to pass judgement on that basis.

Frolik scored a goal? Why didn't MG pull the trigger on those deals? We might have had that goal!
Evander Kane just fanned on a shot. OMG this kid is over-rated!
WOW! LA is down 4-0. They must have a badass hangover... Cue their demise lol...

Hey King - Luke Schenn has a goal as well... :bigblush:

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#2675 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Have either of Boston's goaltenders asked to be traded?

Again, Luongo has not asked for a trade. He offered his services in a trade "if it makes the team better".

#2676 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Again, Luongo has not asked for a trade. He offered his services in a trade "if it makes the team better".

wow,,,you in denial worse than lance Armstrong ever was.
He does not want to be here!!!!!!!

"
VANCOUVER - Roberto Luongo says he is willing to wait as long as necessary for a trade.
The goaltender returned to the ice for an informal workout with his Vancouver Canucks teammates Friday while facing an uncertain NHL future.
Luongo was displaced as Vancouver's starting goaltender by Cory Schneider in last spring's Stanley Cup playoffs. After the season, Luongo said he would waive his no-trade clause if asked. But Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis could not swing a deal before the 113-day NHL lockout began Sept. 15.
"I told (Gillis) I was ready to go as long as it took," said Luongo. "Whether it's a couple days, next week, two weeks, at the end of the season, it's totally fine with me."

#2677 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

My theory is Nonis wants the Leafs to get blown out tonight. So that fans will be angry and will be calling for change.

That will make it easier for fans to swallow the high price that Nonis will have to pay for Luongo.

Just a theory. Playing a goalie with 12 NHL games in the opening game is kind of a head scratcher after all.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2678 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Playing a goalie with 12 NHL games in the opening game is kind of a head scratcher after all.

What would that make a goalie with 68 NHL games in the opener, than? Just questionable?

#2679 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

My theory is Nonis wants the Leafs to get blown out tonight. So that fans will be angry and will be calling for change.

That will make it easier for fans to swallow the high price that Nonis will have to pay for Luongo.

Just a theory. Playing a goalie with 12 NHL games in the opening game is kind of a head scratcher after all.

Then why wouldn't they start Reimer, he's supposed to be their #1.
Scrivens is starting because he has been playing the whole year in the AHL. And yes, I hope he gets ventilated too.

#2680 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

What would that make a goalie with 68 NHL games in the opener, than? Just questionable?

You're not seriously comparing a 26 year old undrafted goalie who was playing in the ECHL two seasons ago to Schneider are you?

Sometimes your grasping of straws is just sad.

Posted Image

#2681 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Oh, so now it's all about pedigree? Hank won a Hart, Kes won a Selke, so therefore their positions on the Canucks are all but guaranteed?

Maybe you missed the part where Kesler's goals and points dropped by nearly a full 50%. Oh, but he won a Selke, so we just don't talk about those stats. Is that it?

Speaking of the most idiotic statements ever heard, this one might well take the cake. He's just fine defensively. He was voted the best penalty killer and the smartest player in the OHL, multiple times, by that league's coaches. If he had an issue, it was speed, which should be expected as a rookie. Do you at all remember the joke that was the Sedin's in their first year in the NHL? And what happened with them? Right, trotted out on the second line, and the second PP, regardless of how slow, weak, and unproductive they were. That's how you develop guys with obvious talent - like Hodgson. BTW, who's Buffalo's #1 C to start the year? Oh yeah.

And this "rigging" of ice-time is a real knee-slapper. Was the puck rigged too, when he scored all of those goals? Did Mike Gillis give him commands from above, as to where to shoot the puck on the goalie?

wow so hodgson is better than kesler...hmm ok lol...I don't even need to respond to that one

rigging of ice time as you call it...you might want to look into what the GM and Coach ACTUALLY SAID ABOUT THAT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN!!! ahahahhaha... ok so you dispute what they say, ok ok...you're right, the guys giving him ice time and positioning him for a trade don't know what they are talking about but you do...uh huh...alrighty there champ....

i think my video link was clearly what you do with yourself in your spare time...again, get yourself a helmet

#2682 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Then why wouldn't they start Reimer, he's supposed to be their #1.
Scrivens is starting because he has been playing the whole year in the AHL. And yes, I hope he gets ventilated too.

Cause they wanna see if Scrivens can actually handle the pressure of being part of their tandem in Toronto. So they're throwing him into the deep end.

But Nonis isn't stupid. He knows a Scrivens/Reimer tandem isn't going to be good enough going forward.

Nonis has always had the philosophy of building from the net out. It's the reason why there was no way he was going with Alex Auld as the starter in 06/07, and it's the same reason he won't go with Reimer now. I think ideally they would wanna keep Reimer to back up Luongo though. (If they could get a trade done)

Edited by DeNiro, 19 January 2013 - 04:50 PM.

Posted Image

#2683 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

You're not seriously comparing a 26 year old undrafted goalie who was playing in the ECHL two seasons ago to Schneider are you?

Sometimes your grasping of straws is just sad.

We just gave an undrafted 28 year-old a 6-year contract in the summer. Problem?

#2684 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

rigging of ice time as you call it...you might want to look into what the GM and Coach ACTUALLY SAID ABOUT THAT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN!!! ahahahhaha... ok so you dispute what they say, ok ok...you're right, the guys giving him ice time and positioning him for a trade don't know what they are talking about but you do...uh huh...alrighty there champ....

Mike Gillis ALSO SAID IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN THAT HE HAD QUALIFIED MARC-ANDRE GRAGNANI, WHICH WAS A BLATANT LIE!!!!

ahahahahahhah

#2685 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Posted Image

Again. Straws. You. Grasping.

Posted Image

#2686 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Oh, so now it's all about pedigree? Hank won a Hart, Kes won a Selke, so therefore their positions on the Canucks are all but guaranteed?

Maybe you missed the part where Kesler's goals and points dropped by nearly a full 50%. Oh, but he won a Selke, so we just don't talk about those stats. Is that it?

.....You think there spots weren't guarenteed???

I know your in your Cody cloud but come back down to reality and see there was no chance he was playing over either player.

Funny that Kesler's points dropping by 50% is still better than what Cody was able to do.

Speaking of the most idiotic statements ever heard, this one might well take the cake. He's just fine defensively. He was voted the best penalty killer and the smartest player in the OHL, multiple times, by that league's coaches. If he had an issue, it was speed, which should be expected as a rookie. Do you at all remember the joke that was the Sedin's in their first year in the NHL? And what happened with them? Right, trotted out on the second line, and the second PP, regardless of how slow, weak, and unproductive they were. That's how you develop guys with obvious talent - like Hodgson. BTW, who's Buffalo's #1 C to start the year? Oh yeah.

And this "rigging" of ice-time is a real knee-slapper. Was the puck rigged too, when he scored all of those goals? Did Mike Gillis give him commands from above, as to where to shoot the puck on the goalie?

OHL/Junior acomplishments don't convert over to the NHL pal, sorry it's the sad reality, Angelo Espositio had an outstanding Junior Career, and was on the top line on the same WJ team Hodgson was on, look where he is now.

Issues with Speed shouldn't be expected for every rookie, Schroeder is plenty fast, Galchenyuk is fast, Tarasenko is fast, Yakupov is fast, it is just an issue of Cody's that is exclusive to him, not something that is a universal problem among all rookies.

He's not just fine defensively at this level, he's below average, Schroeder is better than him. Hodgson is alright and maybe that is something that can be developed but he doesn't have that quick first step and mobility to be a top option defensively.

And him being top line isn't because he's the best center, Ennis is a much better option, but Ennis is on the 2nd line due to his chemistry with Stafford, but don't worry with Grigorenko making the team, if Cody struggles he will be off that line in favor of Grigs in a hurry.

zackass.png

#2687 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Posted Image

Again. Straws. You. Grasping.

Oh, OK. So "undrafted" is only relevant if he's on the Leafs. Makes sense.

#2688 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Oh, OK. So "undrafted" is only relevant if he's on the Leafs. Makes sense.

Undrafted isn't revelant with any team, if they are good enough to play and better than drafted players they play.

Burrows is undrafted, Boyle is undrafted, I can come up with alot more examples if you want.

Draft rankings mean nothing after draft day, and he is good enough to warrant that contract so I don't see any problems with it.

Stop grasping at blades of grass.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 19 January 2013 - 05:04 PM.

zackass.png

#2689 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Issues with Speed shouldn't be expected for every rookie, Schroeder is plenty fast, Galchenyuk is fast, Tarasenko is fast, Yakupov is fast, it is just an issue of Cody's that is exclusive to him, not something that is a universal problem among all rookies.

He's not just fine defensively at this level, he's below average, Schroeder is better than him. Hodgson is alright and maybe that is something that can be developed but he doesn't have that quick first step and mobility to be a top option defensively.

This "Schroeder" guy sounds awesome. What number will he be wearing tonight?

#2690 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Mike Gillis ALSO SAID IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN THAT HE HAD QUALIFIED MARC-ANDRE GRAGNANI, WHICH WAS A BLATANT LIE!!!!

ahahahahahhah

:picard:

You must be on here just to troll bc I really can't believe someone can be as delusional as you

#2691 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Undrafted isn't revelant with any team, if they are good enough to play and better than drafted players they play.

Burrows is undrafted, Boyle is undrafted, I can come up with alot more examples if you want.

Draft rankings mean nothing after draft day, and he is good enough to warrant that contract so I don't see any problems with it.

Stop grasping at blades of grass.

Tell that to DeNiro, who called it a head-scratcher that Toronto would be starting somebody "undrafted" in net.

I was just pointing out to him the obvious discrepancy in his statement, as the Canucks had just given Jason Garrison - undrafted - a 6-year contract, and a member of their top-six (thanks to an opportunity given by Dave Nonis) was also not drafted.

#2692 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Tell that to DeNiro, who called it a head-scratcher that Toronto would be starting somebody "undrafted" in net.

I was just pointing out to him the obvious discrepancy in his statement, as the Canucks had just given Jason Garrison - undrafted - a 6-year contract, and a member of their top-six (thanks to an opportunity given by Dave Nonis) was also not drafted.

You'll just go on and on to try and keep your argument going won't you. Just sad.

Of course you latch onto the word undrafted and try and go off on some other tangent that's not even relevant.

Comparing Schneider to Scrivens is apparently a fair comparison in your mind because they both have less than a full season. Right.

Posted Image

#2693 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I can understand where DeNiro is coming from, this guy hasn't done much at all in the NHL, hasn't played in any situations & has barely been a backup, but personally I can understand it as he outplayed Riemer in camp.

And on Garrison it is obvious you know nothing about him because if you did you would see he took alot less to come here and that his contract is a great for what he bring on the ice so you should just stop commenting on him at least until after you see him play for your own 2 eyes tonight.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 19 January 2013 - 05:12 PM.

zackass.png

#2694 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

This "Schroeder" guy sounds awesome. What number will he be wearing tonight?

Not sure, he will be back up next week though and I'm sure we will fine out.

Way to avoid everything you can't reply to though. Again proving you just continue to grasp at straws.

zackass.png

#2695 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Now I know Roberto has said he wants any deal to be the best for the Nucks that it can be but there will come a time when his patience will run out. He will give the ultimatum to MG by stating, "MG you either trade me or I'm done playing for this team".

And forgo 5.3 million dollars? And miss even more playing time? And make himself look like a petulant, whiner who quits when he doesn't get his way? And abandon his friends and teammates?

You're right. That's the perfect way to help your GM move you to a desired location....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2696 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

You'll just go on and on to try and keep your argument going won't you. Just sad.

Of course you latch onto the word undrafted and try and go off on some other tangent that's not even relevant.

Comparing Schneider to Scrivens is apparently a fair comparison in your mind because they both have less than a full season. Right.

seriously man, don't bother this guy is clearly on here just to troll. i can understand making comments/having views that are unfavorable because fans love their players etc.

but this guy ES simply doesn't understand the game or he's here to troll, either way its pointless. Is there an ignore function on here? lol

#2697 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

but this guy ES simply doesn't understand the game or he's here to troll, either way its pointless. Is there an ignore function on here? lol

Hey, what did you think of Kadri's PP goal?

#2698 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hey, what did you think of Kadri's PP goal?

LMAO!

I guess he's gonna get 50 in 46 and beat gretz's record hey?

LMAO!!!!!! It's one game buddy!!! and the first period!! hahahahahahahha

Just continuing to show how little you understand

Edit: Btw Not once have I said he didn't have hands. Said he can't play defense, is a tweener, poor skater, and soft....

See how he plays 5 on 5 and how out of position he is over the season, his defensive stats etc ;)

Not one pp goal in game 1 - not to mention I could score 15 in the NHL playing on the PP with Lupul and Kessel...lol

but again I know you don't understand hockey very well.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 19 January 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#2699 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

How many games does Lindback have under his belt?

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 19 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#2700 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

How amny games does Lindback have under his belt?

regards,
G.

I wasn't the one making the "head-scratcher" point, so this question really isn't relevant to me or my views.

regards,
K.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.