The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

So the latest rumor from hockeyyinsiderr is:

Luongo + Raymond + 3rd round pick

for

Bozak + Kadri + Gunarsson + 2nd round pick

I know it`s not the best source, but it`s still interesting to discuss. To me this is a horrible trade for us. We would be trading Luongo for Bozak and Kadri, and Raymond for Gunarsson more or less.

Raymond is a servicable player with a good cap hit. We shouldn`t just be tossing him in in a trade. We`re gonna need forward depth this season, and right now with Kesler out, I don`t think it`s as deep as it needs to be.

yeah, the more i look at the leafs farm team and current roster is there anyone besides gardiner/reilly that are actually intriguing prospects? Even kadri for all the skill he has (which is a lot) he has some serious issues defensively and apparently now with his fitness.

seems like florida has much more of the type of player the canucks would want in return. question is can gillis get them to bite?

No big deal.

Florida: Luongo, Coburn, Gardiner, Connauton

Philly: Edler, Kulikov, Bozak, Upshall

Van: Couturier, Simmonds, Gudbranson

Toronto: Thedore, Ellerby

Luo gets Florida, Florida gets Luo. Florida moves Upshall's contract and Kulikov, who is an unsigned RFA, to Philly, who can and will pay the guy and who in return sends Coburn to Florida. Florida also picks up Gardiner for Ellerby and Theodore. Van sends Connauton (to ease the impact of moving the slightly disappointing Ellerby).

Toronto sends Bozak to Philly. Philly moves a young C, and RW from their endless talent at RW, but picks up two absolute stud blueliners, who they need and can pony up the dollars for. They add a versatile LW in Upshall, a position they aren't so deep at. Their lineup is more balanced and stronger in front of Bryz, who'll need the support on the back end.

Toronto gets a veteran goaltender more suited to their asset budget, and a young blueliner with more actual shutdown potential than anything in their lineup. They cry for a few days over Gardiner and then tell themselves Reilly is the same and better anyway. They aren't going to win anytime soon anyhow. They have better balance in goal, and a young blueliner who can help slow the bleeding of scoring chance after scoring chance.

Vancouver pays the heavy price of Luo, Edler (and Connauton), but get their young men. A young two-way 3rd line C with great upside, a 2nd line RW, and Gillis' coveted right side blueliner. Their cap is more manageable. Edler gets his payday in Philly, Luongo goes home to his family. The downside is the growing pains in the top 4 with Gudbranson - the upside is that Garrison can move to the left side, Gudbranson the right, and the Canucks still have a very solid second pairing. Lose the tandem but the 2nd and 3rd lines are stronger.

:bigblush:

Why try to plug a leak in Kesler with Bozak? Even if he's out. We have centers like Ebbett, manny, schroeder and or Lappy that we can try to put in before we make a deal with Bozak as the centerpiece. Do we really want another hodgson logjam on our hands. Like others have said, this condensed schedule plays into our hands. If Nonis won't budge now let him miss the playoffs. If he makes it that means someone else misses it. Tampa? Florida? Maybe it will work out that all possible trading partners make it and then we're in more trouble. I don't see this happening. Something's gotta give and if teams don't want to pay up for Lu let them overpay for Schneider. If no one pays up we have two fresh goalies who are ready to roll. We know we have a good team. If Danny wasn't out I think we woulda beaten the kings and probably won the cup with Lu and Cory. I hate making excuses but we were very unlucky in facing the kings as an 8th seed. Garrison adds a PP threat we've been missing whenever Salos been out (a lot). Unless we get an all star winger or studddd prospect package I dont want to move either Cory or Lu. Quantity should not buy quality in trades. Lu seems as relaxed and ready to go as ever and nothing will phase him. I'd be happy to keep him for the next 10 years if someone would sell their farm for Cory.

Yea, this offer honestly looks like a bunch of unwanted Leafs players that they would be dumping on us. Along the lines of the Ballard, Raymond, and a pick proposals.

I say either they include Gardiner, or Gillis should say forget about it. Forget Bozak and the pick, and give us Gardiner and Colbourne.

I think the Canucks are after Gardiner and they should be at age 21 putting up 30 points from the back end and over 21 min per game last season he's a good player to go after especially if Edler walks in the off season or the canucks buy out Ballard.

The ideal trade for Vancouver would be Bozak, Gardiner & Kadri in my opinion. Kadri is still only 21 and he's playing good in the AHL, the canucks don't have many good forward prospects. Bozak can fill in for kesler and then be the 3'rd line centre

Given that we're a day into the new CBA, I feel like nothing is going to happen until after the games begin. If a deal was quietly made during the lockout, I can't see that they would waste any time and split the players' training camps in half.

I think we'll be scoreboard watching for the first few weeks to see which suitors get off to a rocky start. Given the compressed schedule, though, maybe we do run with both goalies all season.

No big deal.

Florida: Luongo, Coburn, Gardiner, Connauton

Philly: Edler, Kulikov, Bozak, Upshall

Van: Couturier, Simmonds, Gudbranson

Toronto: Thedore, Ellerby

Luo gets Florida, Florida gets Luo. Florida moves Upshall's contract and Kulikov, who is an unsigned RFA, to Philly, who can and will pay the guy and who in return sends Coburn to Florida. Florida also picks up Gardiner for Ellerby and Theodore. Van sends Connauton (to ease the impact of moving the slightly disappointing Ellerby).

Toronto sends Bozak to Philly. Philly moves a young C, and RW from their endless talent at RW, but picks up two absolute stud blueliners, who they need and can pony up the dollars for. They add a versatile LW in Upshall, a position they aren't so deep at. Their lineup is more balanced and stronger in front of Bryz, who'll need the support on the back end.

Toronto gets a veteran goaltender more suited to their asset budget, and a young blueliner with more actual shutdown potential than anything in their lineup. They cry for a few days over Gardiner and then tell themselves Reilly is the same and better anyway. They aren't going to win anytime soon anyhow. They have better balance in goal, and a young blueliner who can help slow the bleeding of scoring chance after scoring chance.

Vancouver pays the heavy price of Luo, Edler (and Connauton), but get their young men. A young two-way 3rd line C with great upside, a 2nd line RW, and Gillis' coveted right side blueliner. Their cap is more manageable. Edler gets his payday in Philly, Luongo goes home to his family. The downside is the growing pains in the top 4 with Gudbranson - the upside is that Garrison can move to the left side, Gudbranson the right, and the Canucks still have a very solid second pairing. Lose the tandem but the 2nd and 3rd lines are stronger.

:bigblush:

It seems to me that most people, when evaluating Luongos trade value, too often overlook the team out clause after 5 years.

If enacted there will be no penalty or cap carry over for circumvention. I read nothing in the new cba that changes that clause and only becomes a 'Luongo Rule' if he retires during his deal.

I understand why MG would say his contract is not an issue for dealing him.

i agree it may be in the best interest to run with the goalie tandem for this short season. But if thats the case, I think the GM should come out and say that so this media barage can stop asking everyone the same question.

If we trade luongo, and we dont get a backup back in the trade, who are we going to trust to play 15 games or so this season if not more?

I say our trading chips are Ballard: a few teams need help on the back end: Ottawa, detroit, Philly, NJ, among others. And only for the right price would I trade Edler. Straight up for Perry: same age same expiring contract. Or in a package for Jamie Benn

Dont want to see this drama about Luongo getting moved get pushed into the season and go right through till the trade deadline, then only to pick up the day we are eliminated from the playoffs or after the game we win the cup. Its just an exhausting saga and I wish our GM would come out and say yes we are looking to move him in the best interest for both parties, or no we want him for this shortened run and luongo is more than happy to be here so stop asking me everyday what the status is on luongo...

To me it makes sense anyway

It seems to me that most people, when evaluating Luongos trade value, too often overlook the team out clause after 5 years.

If enacted there will be no penalty or cap carry over for circumvention. I read nothing in the new cba that changes that clause and only becomes a 'Luongo Rule' if he retires during his deal.

I understand why MG would say his contract is not an issue for dealing him.

I bet LU stays until the trade deadline. This shortened schedule is too condensed and will take its toll on Schneider if he has to play so many games without a solid backup up. So with that being said if we don't pick up a solid back up than why not go with two starters that give us a solid chance to win every night? Then come trade deadline assess the situation. If some fringe teams are really desperate to make it into the post season they will pay. Schneider will not be burned out because he would have shared the work load with LU. There is also the choice to keep LU for the playoffs and trade him at the end of this year's playoffs.

Although I still believe Lou will be traded very soon, after looking at this new schedule, its pretty appearant that we need a quality back-up goalie. This is a very tough schedule and maybe keeping Lou might not be such a bad idea if they can;t get a cheaper veteran. I'd still prefer a scoring forward for Lou.

If there's no decent return, keep Lu for this season. Win the cup with him in the lineup.

I just checked the schedule, there's a lot of back to back games. A team that go in a slump could fall from the playoff race right away. And canucks can't let Schneider get burnt out playing so many games with so little rest days in between during the regular season. That will happen if Lu gets traded and the backup goaltending is unknown for now. I think its best for the canucks to just run with Cory and Lu this short season.

Archived