#31 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Blaming the drivers.

Drivers are to blame 99% of the time. Aggressive driving habits, lack of attention to surrounding vehicles and road conditions, ignorance and laziness concerning maintenance and proper equipment (i.e. checking tire pressure, inspecting brakes, installing winter tires in the winter, etc.). In this case, de-icing the bridge falls on the maintenance crew, but it's still up to drivers to adjust to foggy and slippery conditions.

Defensive driving

#32 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Drivers are to blame 99% of the time. Aggressive driving habits, lack of attention to surrounding vehicles and road conditions, ignorance and laziness concerning maintenance and proper equipment (i.e. checking tire pressure, inspecting brakes, installing winter tires in the winter, etc.). In this case, de-icing the bridge falls on the maintenance crew, but it's still up to drivers to adjust to foggy and slippery conditions.

Defensive driving

Bad bridges and Vancouver drivers are just a bad mix.

Posted Image

#33 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Bad bridges and Vancouver drivers are just a bad mix.

Agreed, although bad drivers are everywhere, not just Vancouver :P

#34 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Can it really be the bridges fault that ice got on the road? I mean.. how would you build the bridge so that ice didn't get on there? Do some bridges have like heating pads underneath the road or something?

Just a maitenance inssue. And just a bad year. Usually it's not as cold and ice prone as it has been. Just like when it dumps snow for more than a day. It happens so rarely that it's hard to throw blame around when it happens. I guess they could've been watching the weather and temperature better for maitenance.

But as I first asked.. can a bridge really be blamed for ice on the road?

#35 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Can it really be the bridges fault that ice got on the road? I mean.. how would you build the bridge so that ice didn't get on there? Do some bridges have like heating pads underneath the road or something?

Just a maitenance inssue. And just a bad year. Usually it's not as cold and ice prone as it has been. Just like when it dumps snow for more than a day. It happens so rarely that it's hard to throw blame around when it happens. I guess they could've been watching the weather and temperature better for maitenance.

Just throwing this out there, but the bridge should have been salted/sanded at the very least. As far as I know it wasn't. If the bridge ices easily, as it apparently does, there needs to be some sort of plan to de-ice on cold days.

Drivers here are terrible, as everyone knows. Even so, 40 car accidents aren't normal.

#36 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

So, after an accident or six, when did it become obvious to the maintenance supervisors that more brine etc was needed?

Edited by hudson bay rules, 04 January 2013 - 11:32 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#37 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Why does the Port Mann bridge have a lot more problems than a bridge like Pattullo?

Posted Image

#38 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Just throwing this out there, but the bridge should have been salted/sanded at the very least. As far as I know it wasn't. If the bridge ices easily, as it apparently does, there needs to be some sort of plan to de-ice on cold days.

Drivers here are terrible, as everyone knows. Even so, 40 car accidents aren't normal.

As was noted the de-icing solution was applied the day before (Wednesday 4am) and it was supposed to be effective for 48 hours - it was not.

Transportation Investment Corporation spokesman Max Logan told CTV News the contractor hired to monitor the Port Mann hadn’t doused the bridge with de-icing solution since 4 a.m. Wednesday.

“The amount that they put on they thought was sufficient for a 48 hour period, it obviously was not,” Logan said.

The service provider, Mainroad Contracting, also patrolled the billion-dollar toll bridge six times between 10 p.m. Wednesday and 5 a.m. Thursday, but saw no sign of ice danger.

“Ice did accumulate very rapidly between 5 and 6,” Logan said. “We have said to them that from now on application of that de-icing solution every 48 hours is not sufficient. It needs to happen more frequently, at least once a day when we have conditions like tonight and yesterday.”

Logan said sand is generally not used on roads in the Lower Mainland, but that salt could be laid in addition to the de-icing solution, which consists of a brine-saltwater mix.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/40-cars-crash-on-poorly-de-iced-port-mann-bridge-1.1099460#ixzz2H5GXy01z
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#39 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Why does the Port Mann bridge have a lot more problems than a bridge like Pattullo?

Speed.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#40 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Speed.

Speed also happens on Pattullo. Seen cars go by me at 120 kph when it isn't busy.

Posted Image

#41 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Knight St bridge is heated by electric cables in tthe bridge deck. There's also this one in Essex Ontario: http://www.canada.co...df-b1b821abc07b

You'd think for 3 billion they could have come up with something similar.

#42 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Knight St bridge is heated by electric cables in tthe bridge deck. There's also this one in Essex Ontario: http://www.canada.co...df-b1b821abc07b

You'd think for 3 billion they could have come up with something similar.

Why would a private company care about such things?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.