64 replies to this topic

#1 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

I've been reading several threads discussing the potential of either buying out Luo or trading him, if and when, the reduced season starts; due to already worked trade deals or new CBA provisions.

If any of you think that Luo is getting traded with 48 games to play, flat out, your dreaming. How does anyone think a trade would be beneficial to the team at this point? A reduced scheduled and the likelihood of a playoff run, requires this team to be loaded from the top down. Reduced schedule, no goalie burnout, plus we haven't seen what Schneider can do when the pressure of starting is on his shoulders; do you really want to throw away the best goaltending tandem in the NHL for HALF A SEASON!!!

Luo's trade value won't crash dramatically from now to the beginning of next season so what's the rush in moving a potentially crucial asset for the playoffs.

I hope Luo stays, gets a cup here, and moves on to a city that appreciates him more.

P.S. If anyone thinks Schneider is the answer and is ready for the season, you obviously haven't seen the Kane goal:

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

POPULAR

I've been reading several threads discussing the potential of either buying out Luo or trading him, if and when, the reduced season starts; due to already worked trade deals or new CBA provisions.

If any of you think that Luo is getting traded with 48 games to play, flat out, your dreaming. How does anyone think a trade would be beneficial to the team at this point? A reduced scheduled and the likelihood of a playoff run, requires this team to be loaded from the top down. Reduced schedule, no goalie burnout, plus we haven't seen what Schneider can do when the pressure of starting is on his shoulders; do you really want to throw away the best goaltending tandem in the NHL for HALF A SEASON!!!

Luo's trade value won't crash dramatically from now to the beginning of next season so what's the rush in moving a potentially crucial asset for the playoffs.

I hope Luo stays, gets a cup here, and moves on to a city that appreciates him more.

P.S. If anyone thinks Schneider is the answer and is ready for the season, you obviously haven't seen the Kane goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7bSuDvlsuc

You aren't actually saying that Schneider isn't ready for the starting position because of one goal, are you?
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#3 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

You aren't actually saying that Schneider isn't ready for the starting position because of one goal, are you?

ANSWER: No

But what I am trying to point out is that everyone seems to make Schneider out to be some superhero when in reality, he is simply good, not great. I haven't seen brilliance in net from Schneider like I have at different points with Luo. The Kane goal is there to show how human he really can be, cause quite frankly Kane made him look silly. He didn't even TRY to put out the glove...

Edited by scarface173, 04 January 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#4 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,410 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

No Goalie would of stopped Kane on that shootout attempt unless you are saying you could

I also added a plus to your post on the basis of Schneider not being the answer to the teams success

Edited by *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*, 04 January 2013 - 12:13 AM.

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#5 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

POPULAR

But what I am trying to point out is that everyone seems to make Schneider out to be some superhero when in reality, he is simply good, not great. I haven't seen brilliance in net from Schneider like I have at different points with Luo. The Kane goal is there to show how human he really can be, cause quite frankly Kane made him look silly. He didn't even TRY to put out the glove...

Ahh I gotcha.

I've never been a Schneider fan. At least not in the same regard as some of the Schneider worshippers here on CDC. I agree, he's a good goalie..real solid. But I definitely haven't seen the flashes of brilliance like I have from Lu. Trading Luongo will end up biting the Canucks in the ass.

Edited by MaximYapierre, 04 January 2013 - 12:10 AM.

CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#6 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Well said. I agree with it all except the Kane goal part.

We'll definitely need to keep Lu if we're to be successful in a shortened season.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#7 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Well said. I agree with it all except the Kane goal part.

We'll definitely need to keep Lu if we're to be successful in a shortened season.

Who is going the other way on the trade if we trade him. All of you lou lovers were saying before that Cory would never hold up in a 82 game season, now it's that he can't because the season is too short? Ok I'm getting lost. I think that a trade for the right players would help us more then Lou on the bench, others may agree.

#8 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

All of you lou lovers were saying before that Cory would never hold up in a 82 game season, now it's that he can't because the season is too short?

I can't speak for others, but I have always thought and said that whenever the Canucks decide to make Cory the starter, they should keep Luo around at least for the first season; smooth transition, and to have the one of the best goalies around in case Schneider doesn't live up to expectations. Shortened season or not, trading away Luo before you know what you have in Schneider could set this team back years in development.

Then again, we could always pick up Subban, he looks like the goalie of the future...

Edited by scarface173, 04 January 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#9 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

POPULAR

You have watched Luongo in the shootout before right?

You base Schneider's ability to be a starter on one shootout goal against one of the trickiest stickhandlers in the game? Okay.

I wouldn't trade Luongo this season, not because I don't think Schneider can't be the starter, but because I don`t think teams will offer us anything that will make us much better this season. A summer trade will bring back alot more IMO.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#10 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Who is going the other way on the trade if we trade him. All of you lou lovers were saying before that Cory would never hold up in a 82 game season, now it's that he can't because the season is too short? Ok I'm getting lost. I think that a trade for the right players would help us more then Lou on the bench, others may agree.

It's because of the condensed schedule. There would be more games in a smaller time frame than normal which would be tiring on a goalie. So having 2 capable starters would be a huge advantage for us over teams with only 1 good goalie.

Sure, a trade for the right players could help us, but many people seem to think we'll trade him for peanuts or just buy him out, which would be a lot worse than keeping him this season.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#11 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis might have the biggest challenge juggling a $60 million cap.
With the likes of the Sedin twins and Ryan Kesler under contract, the Canucks have $55.4 million committed to 13 players. CBC

That is without signing Eddy.
I count 23 players on the existing Canucks roster. If this article is correct,there are ten players to sign with the $4.6 m that will remain ,including Eddy.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm
This should be good.

The NHL just got a lot less talented.

Edited by nuck nit, 04 January 2013 - 12:42 AM.

#12 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

P.S. If anyone thinks Schneider is the answer and is ready for the season, you obviously haven't seen the Kane goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7bSuDvlsuc

Not that disagree on the no trade point...let me remind you that Lou has a SP of under .700 on shootouts, schneiders is a bit higher.... Lou was near bottom of the league one on one....so don;t use that goal as your yardstick. Schneider is currently better than Lou.

#13 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

I suspect a deal is already in place pending the CBA getting signed. Lou will be gone. I don't see the team keeping almost $10m in goaltending with a $60m cap.

Now if Lou wanted to be a greedy sob, he could refuse to waive his ntc and force the Canucks to buy him out. A boatload of cash in his pocket and he'd be free to sign a new deal wherever he wanted.
Posted Image

#14 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Has everyone forgot that Luongo has said on more than one occasion

It is time to move on. He is open to a trade, Ect ect.

He does not want to be in Vancouver anymore.

Did Ottawa try to keep heatly when he asked for a trade? No! Why? Because he didn't want to play In ottawa! Did Murray hurt his return by going public with heaters demand? Yes!! Do you think GMs like say MG would learn from examples like that?
I would say so.

We have no cap space with or without the new CBA we have many other holes in our lineup, a backup goalie is not worth 5.33.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#15 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Ahh I gotcha.

I've never been a Schneider fan. At least not in the same regard as some of the Schneider worshippers here on CDC. I agree, he's a good goalie..real solid. But I definitely haven't seen the flashes of brilliance like I have from Lu. Trading Luongo will end up biting the Canucks in the ass.

And I haven't seen Schneider flopping on his belly like a beached orca the way Lou does. I do think Schneider is better.
Posted Image

#16 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Did Ottawa try to keep heatly when he asked for a trade? No! Why? Because he didn't want to play In ottawa! Did Murray hurt his return by going public with heaters demand? Yes!! Do you think GMs like say MG would learn from examples like that?
I would say so.

We have no cap space with or without the new CBA we have many other holes in our lineup, a backup goalie is not worth 5.33.

Lou never said he didn't want to be here. He said if the team wanted to go in a different direction he'd waive the clause. There is a difference.
Posted Image

#17 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I still think Luongo is the better goalie, but Schneider is a close second.

Luongo has been horribly mismanaged his whole time here. From playing him too many games, to the whole captaincy debaucle, to hiring a goalie coach to completely change his style at age 31.

I think he can get back to being an elite goaltender. Unfortunately it might not happen here. I think he'll go to another market and Canucks fans will remember how great he was.

Edited by DeNiro, 04 January 2013 - 02:03 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#18 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

Lou never said he didn't want to be here. He said if the team wanted to go in a different direction he'd waive the clause. There is a difference.

http://m.bleacherrep...r-face-in-vegas
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#19 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Omg, poke check him! lol That was horrible to watch... Nice goal by Kane, bad goal by Schneider. Lu isn't much better in the shootout though so I can't really complain, I really don't think Schneider adjusted too well to the Swiss league. You can bet that he'll do 100% better with the Canucks if the season starts this month though. He's def one to step his game up when neccesary and playing on that team quite frankly, it really isn't necessary. :rolleyes: Damn, I miss hockey! I hope the season starts soon, fingers crossed!

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#20 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

I'm on Team Lack.
Posted Image

#21 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

The way things usually go for the Canucks and the luck we have, if we trade Luongo we're going to end up seeing him doing this in another teams jersey

Posted Image

Edited by Primus099, 04 January 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#22 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

I think if there is a deal in place, that makes sense and brings enough value our way, we should do it.

If not I would have no problem holding onto Lu until the summer, or atleast until the trade deadline (whenever that would be) I just can't imagine what this years playoffs would be like if we still had both of them though.

I suspect a deal is already in place pending the CBA getting signed. Lou will be gone. I don't see the team keeping almost $10m in goaltending with a $60m cap.

Now if Lou wanted to be a greedy sob, he could refuse to waive his ntc and force the Canucks to buy him out. A boatload of cash in his pocket and he'd be free to sign a new deal wherever he wanted.

I kinda suspect that too.

And I doubt he would he seems like a team guy.

I don't agree with some of your other posts about Lu (Basicly because your a Lu "hater" and I'm a Lu fan [One who can accept he has to go Btw])

But this is actually true, I recall him making some of those comments too.

He said in that interview with the Fox that it was time for him to move on.

Luongo has been horribly mismanaged his whole time here. From playing him too many games, to the whole captaincy debaucle, to hiring a goalie coach to completely change his style at age 31.

I think he can get back to being an elite goaltender. Unfortunately it might not happen here. I think he'll go to another market and Canucks fans will remember how great he was.

+1 Agree completely.

zackass.png

#23 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

I realize that Lou is an elite goalie but those games in Boston and game 7 here made me lose faith. Yes Hamhuis was gone, and others were hurt, but he let in a lot bad goal in that series. A lot. I was supporter for a long time, and think he could win a cup somewhere else...but he has cost the team too many times and they are obviously behind Corey now.

I also feel this way about Edler. Yes, he hits hard...but way too many giveaways that lead to goals. Boston series and LA were both terrible and with his injuries...it might be a good idea to move on there too.
Posted Image

#24 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

I dont think it would be an acceptable situation to have Luongo playing second fiddle, wouldnt it be kind of embarrassing for the guy?

Its also completely unacceptable to have that much salary tied up in goaltending.

#25 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Kane is possibly the best shootout dangler in the game behind datsyuk so him scoring a shootout goal doesn't mean a lot. I do agree they should keep luongo unless a team offers a good package that gillis can't refuse. Always have and always will be a luongo fan.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#26 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Did we not go to the finals and have Lou / Schneids share the Jennings trophy after this goalie coaching change? Maybe he wants to return to a different style to max out his potential, but it seems he also adjusted pretty well and been a superb goalie throughout...

The critique is breakdowns, or not bringing his A game, at critical moments. That has happened throughout his career dating back to the WJC's and including two separate Chicago series and of course the finals. He was also being outplayed against LA. Can you tell me where those breakdowns related to mis management?

And all signs point to mental breakdowns. Lou was playing great against Beantown, but got distracted by his tires not being pumped and threw up a stinker. Just one example.

That fragility is a Lou issue not a management one IMO.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 04 January 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#27 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

I have supported the idea of keeping both goalies for a shortened season if we can't find a good enough offer for Luongo. Maybe both will have higher value at the end of the season if you know what I mean ;)

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#28 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

I have supported the idea of keeping both goalies for a shortened season if we can't find a good enough offer for Luongo. Maybe both will have higher value at the end of the season if you know what I mean ;)

would a shortened season raise the value of lu? let's say a team like Chicago that has pressure to make the playoffs can't afford to have a slow start with Crawford.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#29 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

I don't think we are going to play off the value of both goalies.

We can fit Lou under the cap this year. So odd are we will get more now than in the summer when we can't and our choice is trade him or buy him out.

I'm not overstressed; I think we will still get a good prospect or pick for him in the summer. Ultimately we want future help for cap relief!

But I am in win now mode, and believe we should be. In a shortened season Lou can help us. So no sense acting in desperation. Our problem is we have more critical roles in other positions to fill than we did in our finals year. We make a deal if we get rentals that make us a serious contender added to the futures.

Teams will simply have to offer that up to give themselves the leg up in securing him.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 04 January 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#30 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Did you watch Luongo in some of the shoot outs last year? Kane can make any goalie look bad 1 on 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.