The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salo/Garrison

nux4lyfe

Salo also started the season with 15 points in 15 games or something; then only got 10 or 12 more points the rest of the year. To put it bluntly; his body could not keep up the pace for the year and he was declining.

Sure he was good defensively and could step up if someone got hurt. But he needs sheltered minutes at this stage in his career. That does not mean we did not want him, but wanted to find a replacement for his top 4 minute munching role and save him for a 3rd pair depth player which is what he is suitable for at this stage in his career. And pay him accordingly!

It did not make sense to match a 2 year high dollar deal! Just have to cheer for Sammy and let him go considering the deal he got!

Garrison BTW is a top shelf D first stopper, who also happens to have a slapshot as nice as Sammy's. Garrison played a similar stopper role, just as effectively, as Hamhuis for a full 2 years. An even better defensive guy than Sammy, and a ripped and powerful 220 lbs; the only guy on our team capable of moving truly big bodies from in front of our net. This was a great signing!

-_-

Haven't really seen Garrison's play but Salo was 2nd to Hamhuis in terms of defensive play.

I hope he is worth his contract.

Google: Canucks hardest shot.

Google: Canucks most accurate shot.

Sami's is one of the finest in both categories for the last half dozen years with the Nucks.

Hope Garrison can carry Sami's jock strap cuz Sami was one of the league's finest shooters,not just the Canucks best.

Sami won it every year I remember but for those Canuck fans without memories here is the old man:

http://volunteerbug....uperskills.html

Salo's shot power won't be too tough to replace, but it's his amazing accuracy that will be hard to replace. Hopefully Garrison can do that. Edler could also stand to work on his accuracy.

All in all, it's a good trade off, mainly because of his younger age.

I miss Salo too... But it's time to move on guys, just let it go! lol

Mr. Garrison should do fine, he does have a very good shot too. Not to mention he is younger, him and Edler will be blasting pucks past goalies in no time. Meanwhile the Sedins will be scooping up rebounds and scoring in no time as well, if this damned NHL half season could get under way already! :frantic:

I think the Canucks were really lucky to land Garrison. I honestly remember watching a Panthers game a couple years ago, and taking notes of Garrisons play, as I was then considering picking him up in a pool because of his impressive performance. He seemed to be everywhere on the ice... That might have been his first NHL game in his hometown, which might have been somewhat of the reason for the inspired play.

The Nucks WILL miss Salo, but Garrison has excelled and grown every year, and at every level he's played at, including showing up in the playoffs. He's a decent skater, and is defensivley responsable, while the offensive and puck moving still has un-tapped upside imo. He's also capable of playing both sides, unlike Salo, and could very well be a stabelizing partner for Bieksa, should they need to mix up the pairings due to injury or other circumstances.

Overall I view this move as an upgrade for the now, and certainly for the future.... If we can retain Edler, our top 5 D and goaltender will be locked in together for some time, which is great for all around stability.

<---- hehe

Ive been debating changing my name since garrison changed his #

I had a thought, I give edler staying a canuck about a 50% chance. If edler leaves that would open up some spots for younger cheaper players. I am thinking in my head how awesome a D corps of this would be:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Garrison

Connaughton Tanev

Love both those guys.

No one in their right mind would like to see Sami leave, but he did what he had to do and took the two years and good money from Yzerman.

The Canucks did what they had to do and seize the opportunity to pick up Garrison for a very reasonable cap hit and no assets lost. If he remains the player he's been the past two years, the Canucks have hit the jackpot bringing a top 4 BC boy home again.

I would have liked to keep Salo as well to really round out the defense, but at 3.5 million per year we simply couldn't do it. He's getting up there in age and it visibly wearing out now.

I'm hoping Garrison will be a suitable top-four player.

Garrison is not noted to be an offensive d man,he is not strong on the body but is positionally strong.

He is Dan Hamhuis 2.Great overall player,not an offensive player with offensive instincts.That was cough,cough,Ehrhoff,cough.

I hope the OP is not dissing Sami's shot because Garrison can't hold a candle to Sami.

Garrison has an accurate shot,not blistering hard,but Sami had both.

If Gillis had his way he would have low-balled Sami into retirement,while heaping media praise on him.

"I have no idea how hard it is," he said with a smile. "The last time it was measured was in juniors, but that was like 10 years ago. I think I hit 90." Jason Garrison

ASSETS:Moves the puck efficiently out of danger. Brings a nice combination of size and speed to the rink. Works hard and is effective on the penalty kill. Plays a safe, mature and steady brand of defense. gif.gif

FLAWS: Doesn't shy away from the physical game, but he isn't a highly aggressive player defensively--despite excellent size--either. He's strong, but needs to continue adding some more power to his game. Has been somewhat injury-prone in the past.

He'll be disappointed when we finally have our skills comp and Garrison beats out Edler and Connauton's mark. Garrison is at least close to those guys, his shot is probably harder now than it was in junior as he's developed physically since then.

Archived