37 replies to this topic

#1 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

No one gives a flying crap about your "ultraviolet" version of any movie ever made... has anyone actually ever used this? check your records, because I'm positive it's less than .000000001% of all sales of movies sold with an ultraviolet version made available to the consumer. Please stop offering this BS version and charge me less for the movie as a result.

ALSO, if I am buying a Blu-Ray version of a movie, why the hell do you think I want/need/ or would use/watch the included DVD version of the movie? does anyone actually choose to watch a lower res/crappier sounding version of your movie when they obviously have the higher res/fidelity of a Blu-Ray player available to them? please stop including this format in my Blu Ray package and charge me less (or at least offer a Blu-Ray only version for less money)

#2 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Dear Movie Industry,

How about an original, decent sci-fi franchise? Talking adult language, sex, gore, spaceships, aliens, tive-travel. It's like, hello, this is 2013, this is simple stuff guys!

#3 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,417 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

You realize the format war ended only 4.5 years ago right? Why does it bother you that they offer both? Sounds like good marketing to me. Maybe some people have one blu-ray player at home, but in their vehicle they just have a dvd machine, and they have kids movies still on DVD.

I rarely use the digital copy version. Do I complain when they include it? No.

Life's too short to worry about stuff like this.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#4 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Regarding the original post, I have no idea what an ultraviolet version is. I don't think I have ever seen such a thing.

#5 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Dear Movie Industry,

How about an original, decent sci-fi franchise? Talking adult language, sex, gore, spaceships, aliens, tive-travel. It's like, hello, this is 2013, this is simple stuff guys!

sooooo, starship troopers, then?

#6 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,417 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Dear Movie Industry,

So a movie with swearing makes it better? Because 90% of adult language these days seems to be cursing. Or do you mean rational, intelligent language not written by George Lucas? I.e. "Younglings?"

I'd just be happy with a rational plot, good story, strong characters, and good dialogue.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#7 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

You realize the format war ended only 4.5 years ago right? Why does it bother you that they offer both? Sounds like good marketing to me. Maybe some people have one blu-ray player at home, but in their vehicle they just have a dvd machine, and they have kids movies still on DVD.

I rarely use the digital copy version. Do I complain when they include it? No.

Life's too short to worry about stuff like this.

4.5 years and they still can't make an adjustment?

#8 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

sooooo, starship troopers, then?

The original Starship Troopers was something I had in mind, but the sequel was terrible and it's not an original piece.

#9 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

The original Starship Troopers was something I had in mind, but the sequel was terrible and it's not an original piece.

they made a sequel?

#10 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

So a movie with swearing makes it better? Because 90% of adult language these days seems to be cursing. Or do you mean rational, intelligent language not written by George Lucas? I.e. "Younglings?"

I'd just be happy with a rational plot, good story, strong characters, and good dialogue.

It's not swearing that I care about, I just want something with EDGE. Something gritty and unforgiving.

#11 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,466 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

they made a sequel?

Yeah. It was pretty bad.

I'd fill you in on the plot, but there wasn't one. Besides, it was so friggen dark for the whole movie, I probably wouldn't have been able to see a plot if it did exist.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#12 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yeah. It was pretty bad.

I'd fill you in on the plot, but there wasn't one. Besides, it was so friggen dark for the whole movie, I probably wouldn't have been able to see a plot if it did exist.

was it straight to DVD?

#13 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,466 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

was it straight to DVD?

Probably. I know it was a rental when I saw (didn't see) it.Actually, it's funny that this comes up, because last night, Space was showing an animated Starship Troopers movie...

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 04 January 2013 - 11:26 AM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#14 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Deer Movie Industry,

Posted Image

That is all.

FWYIerW.png

#15 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Dear Movie Industry,

They are turning the Mass Effect franchise into a movie, just got a new writer in 2012. The game was focused on the characters, much like Star Wars/Firefly and was well written, it certainly has the potential to turn into a great movie franchise if they do it well.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#16 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Dear Movie Industry,
Stop milking franchises for all they are worth to the point that even the good older movies start to suck by association.
Posted Image

#17 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Actually, I like how they include Blu-Ray and DVD in one, I don't have and will never buy a PS3 and I don't have nor do I foresee buying a dedicated Blu-Ray player in the near future, but my parents do have a Blu-Ray player so when we go over to visit and bring a movie we can watch the Blu-Ray version.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#18 Gerg

Gerg

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Or say people don't have Blu-Ray players at the moment, buy the combo pack for 3-4 years down the road when they do decide to upgrade and now they don't have to re-stock their collection.
Posted Image

#19 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,670 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

They are turning the Mass Effect franchise into a movie, just got a new writer in 2012. The game was focused on the characters, much like Star Wars/Firefly and was well written, it certainly has the potential to turn into a great movie franchise if they do it well.

Lol, no. A Mass Effect movie would be balls. A resurrection of Firefly would be awesome, but there's no chance that's coming back.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#20 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Actually, I like how they include Blu-Ray and DVD in one, I don't have and will never buy a PS3 and I don't have nor do I foresee buying a dedicated Blu-Ray player in the near future, but my parents do have a Blu-Ray player so when we go over to visit and bring a movie we can watch the Blu-Ray version.

well i feel that I shouldn't be forced to procure the dvd version while purchasing my superior blu-ray version resulting in a higher price as a result. there should be dvd only, blu-ray only, and combo packs, all offered.

#21 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,466 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Dear Movie Industry,
Stop milking franchises for all they are worth to the point that even the good older movies start to suck by association.

I'll add to that by saying: Stop remaking movies that aren't as good as the original.

Case in point: The Thing. The new one doesn't hold a candle to the John Carpenter version.

#22 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

As long as the main character in-game isn't the main character in the movie. I've never played Mass Effect, but I know a fair bit of it, and based on gameplay shaping how your character develops, it just wouldn't work in a movie format.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#23 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

As long as the main character in-game isn't the main character in the movie. I've never played Mass Effect, but I know a fair bit of it, and based on gameplay shaping how your character develops, it just wouldn't work in a movie format.

What about an INTERACTIVE MOVIE :o

"To: Go to the bathroom, press 1"

FWYIerW.png

#24 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Obviously it wouldn't be just like the games, but it certainly has enough content for a movie to work. In those "coin flip" situations, the writer/director would have to make the decision based on which would make a better movie. Alternatively, it could be written where there wasn't a choice

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#25 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

It would work fine having Sheperd in a Mass Effect movie, like all video games there is a main story line that you follow throughout the game and while you can choose various outcomes in the game there is a set "canon" as to what is supposed to happen.

#26 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Lol, no. A Mass Effect movie would be balls. A resurrection of Firefly would be awesome, but there's no chance that's coming back.

Why would Mass Effect not make a good movie franchise? All of the content is already there for the writer to pick. A movie about the finding of the Mass Relays/First contact war could be amazing.

Agree about Firefly, the cast has moved on even though it had so much promise

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#27 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

dear movie industry: please make more original content with a decent storyline instead of remaking and/or sequalling everything that you can get your grubby little hands on. Less Transformers/Star Wars/Indiana Jones/etc, more Super 8/inception/prestiege (and no bloody sequals to good original movies that don't need em!)
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#28 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Deer Movie Industry,

Posted Image

That is all.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#29 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

dear movie industry: please make more original content with a decent storyline instead of remaking and/or sequalling everything that you can get your grubby little hands on. Less Transformers/Star Wars/Indiana Jones/etc, more Super 8/inception/prestiege (and no bloody sequals to good original movies that don't need em!)

There's a reason films like District 9 are such hits. They bring something new to the table.

#30 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

There's a reason films like District 9 are such hits. They bring something new to the table.

Hey you got a point.

If all movies were of District 9 caliber all other District 9 caliber movies would be average.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.