Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jagori78

Do all long-term contracts have to be bought out?

7 posts in this topic

Assume that Luongo is traded to Toronto for whatever. Kadri and Bozak, just for the sake of this argument. Does Toronto get stuck with Luongo's cap hit after he retires till the end of the deal? Or can he be traded to Phoenix or whoever to help them make the cap floor. Do you think this will be allowed?

If this isn't possible, then Luongo is untradable. He must be bought out now or next year. He's not the only one, as Hossa, Pronger, Bryzgalov, Mike Green, and Zetterberg will be in the same situation.

Players like Lecavalier and Shea Weber are safe, because Tampa and Nashville will need to make the cap floor in 8 years time. Even if they retire, the cap hit for those two will help those teams.

Big market teams that spend to the cap may be forced to buy-out those players now that aren't considered marketable. These big teams can afford to do so, because they money they pay in buy-outs is roughly equal to what they would have paid anyway in revenue sharing. Instead of cutting a cheque to Bettman and the Coyotes each year for 7 million for revenue sharing, they give it to the player they buyout, and get the cap space back.

I think Buttman is pushing to have the original teams, stuck with the cap hit for the duration of said contract. I heard this being purposed earlier on during negotiations. I hope it isn't true because the canucks will be stuck with an anchor contract for a long time!

If Luongo is traded to Leafs and retires after 5 seasons, the cap recapture rule would result in the Canucks being hit with Lu's cap hit for the remaining years of his contract.

No matter how many times Lu gets traded, if he retires before his contract retires the cap hit would go to Canucks for the remaining years of Lu's contract.

This is why there is a strong chance Lu will not get traded IMO.

Luongo will not be bought out now or next year. He has too much money owed on his contract to buy him out.

If Luongo is traded to Leafs and retires after 5 seasons, the cap recapture rule would result in the Canucks being hit with Lu's cap hit for the remaining years of his contract.

No matter how many times Lu gets traded, if he retires before his contract retires the cap hit would go to Canucks for the remaining years of Lu's contract.

This is why there is a strong chance Lu will not get traded IMO.

Luongo will not be bought out now or next year. He has too much money owed on his contract to buy him out.

Is this still part of the new CBA? I know that it was on the table at one point but I'm unsure as to if it made it into the final draft.

Hope it didn't.

No matter how many times Lu gets traded, if he retires before his contract retires the cap hit would go to Canucks for the remaining years of Lu's contract..

Not quite it. That was the original proposal by the league, it's been revised and is quite confusing on first glance.

http://espn.go.com/b...ore-cba-details

From what I can see, the formula basically takes how much you have "spent" on the cap, compares it against how much is paid to the player, gets the difference and applies that to the cap of the team that signed him for all subsequent years after he retires.

Then they apply a similar formula for the years that the player played for his next club and that team gets to face the cap hit.

Essentially, they made the Luongo contract nearly immovable without some crazy finagling and throwing out a hope and prayer that he doesn't retire.