#1 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nh..._medium=twitter

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. -- Months later, the controversial trade continues to be discussed.
But Cody Hodgson is still stressing the positive about his time with the Vancouver Canucks.
"I'm really thankful for my stay, what they gave me," Hodgson said Friday as his current team, the Rochester Americans, visited the Abbotsford Heat.
"They gave me a chance to play in the National Hockey League, and I really appreciate that."
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis has painted Hodgson, Vancouver's first-round choice (10th overall) in 2008, as an unhappy player who did not want to play on the West Coast. At times, Hodgson, who was dealt to the Buffalo Sabres just before the trade deadline closed last spring, has indicated otherwise, or chosen not to talk about his controversial departure.
He did not want to revisit reports that he wanted out.
"I try not to look back as much as possible," said the 22-year-old, who recorded a combined 19 goals and 25 assists with the Canucks and Sabres last season.
"I'm here with the Rochester Americans and Buffalo Sabre organization now. I haven't really looked back on it, to tell you the truth. I really appreciate my time here, the people. The fans always treated me really well."
Hodgson, who is on a two-way, entry-level deal that allowed him to be sent to the minors during the NHL lockout, was dealt for winger Zack Kassian and defenceman Marc-Andre Gragnini, who was subsequently released by the Canucks and signed as a free agent with the Carolina Hurricanes. Defenceman Alexander Sulzer also went to the Sabres.
The trade continues to generate debate in Vancouver because the Canucks lack depth at the centre position and Hodgson became a fan favourite while overcoming a serious back injury, sustained in training, to become an NHL regular in 2011-12. Meanwhile, Kassian, described by Gillis as a rarely available, prototypical power forward, has yet to display consistency in a Canucks uniform.
Kassian, a 21-year-old Windsor, Ont., native who was Buffalo's first-round pick (13th overall) in 2009, has also struggled this season while playing for Vancouver's top farm team, the Chicago Wolves.
Now, Hodgson is looking forward to a chance to shine with the Sabres over the long term after going through the 2011-12 campaign. Despite the unusual circumstances, he considered the season important to his development.
"It was a great step," said Hodgson. "I feel at home in the National Hockey League. I've made a lot of good friends along the way and, hopefully, (the progress) continues for the rest of my career. (The Sabres) treat me really well. They're good people here. I appreciate the chance they gave me last year, coming in right away. I really like the organization -- from the top down."
And Rochester coach Ron Rolston likes what he has seen thus far of Hodgson, who bulked up with more muscle mass while training under former NHLer Gary Roberts in the off-season.
Despite missing about two months with a broken bone in his hand, Hodgson was averaging slightly better than a point a game heading into Friday's contest with Abbotsford.
"He started out a little slow, but that was just because he was out for two months, basically," said Rolston, adding the centre needed to get his timing and game tempo up to speed.
"But after that, he's been exceptional for us, just a catalyst for us in all areas -- defensively, offensively, creating, power plays, faceoffs. He just does everything well."
Despite a high public profile, the Toronto native keeps things low-key in the Americans' dressing room.
"He's pretty quiet, pretty intense," said Rolston. "He goes about his business professionally. But, certainly, he's a good presence with our team. He was out (with his injury) for a couple months, and our record showed."
Like all players, said Rolston, Hodgson can still improve his defensive game. But he has plenty of offensive skill.
"He's got really good vision," said Rolston. "He can make plays in small areas. (He has) a lot of poise with the puck, especially on the power play.
"There's a lot of poise on entries once he gets in the zone and is set up. He's got really quick hands, whether it's to finish or to find guys in small-area plays. He does that exceptionally well."
Hodgson has stood out while playing regularly with Markus Foligno while several other players have rotated onto the line. If the NHL lockout does end by commissioner Gary Bettman's Jan. 11 deadline, Rolston expects to lose Hodgson and a few other young players to Sabres.
"If something does happen here, it's going to change, obviously, the complexion of the league, and some teams will be hit harder than others," said Rolston. "Really, it's what the league's all about though. It's about giving other guys (the) opportunity to step up."
True to form, Hodgson, who believes his exchange for Kassian was "a good hockey trade," remains optimistic that he will get to play in the NHL this season.
"It's probably an advantage to get going with this (latest round of talks between the NHL and players association)," he said. "Hopefully, the season does start soon."
Notes: As a result of his trade, Hodgson played in an NHL-record 48 road games last season. He played a total of 83 regular-season contests, one more than every NHL team plays. ... Rolston is the older brother of former NHL star Brian Rolston. ... The Americans had a long journey from upstate New York to Abbotsford on Thursday. The trip reminded Rolston of overseas flights he made with his former U.S. National Team Development Program squads. "It felt like we were going to Russia, maybe," said Rolston. ... Hodgson is in the final year of a contract that he originally signed with the Canucks. ... Sulzer is playing in his native Germany this season. Gragnani is playing for Carolina's top farm team, the AHL's Charlotte Checkers.

#2 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,770 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Q the insanity.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

I didn't read much that sounded like he was "stressing positives". Sounded pretty much like any other player answering a question about their old organization after they traded them.

Edited by Jägermeister, 04 January 2013 - 06:42 PM.

Posted Image

#4 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

no news here.

"He did not want to revisit reports that he wanted out."
"I try not to look back as much as possible."

'Like I said, I enjoyed my time there..'

#5 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Yea he was really good here.

#6 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Not Canucks talk, rather Saber talk.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#7 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

the writing was on the wall with hodgson, im glad hes doing well hes a good person and a great hockey player. But come on people be realistic he was not going to sign an extension to play behind kesler and henrik for another 3years. pulling a turris was probably on his agenda.

#8 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

the writing was on the wall with hodgson, im glad hes doing well hes a good person and a great hockey player. But come on people be realistic he was not going to sign an extension to play behind kesler and henrik for another 3years. pulling a turris was probably on his agenda.

I know but you know how this thread is going to go. Gonna be a gooder.

#9 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

What Have You Done...

#10 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Cody's such a good guy. I'll bet he called Gillis up to congratulate him on our success last season and wished him luck in the search for a new center. Probably sent Kesler a get well card too.

:bigblush:

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 04 January 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#11 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

.... coming from a guy who asked for a trade out of here because he didn't like playing here lol

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 04 January 2013 - 07:14 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Kassian struggling? Not really, he leads the team in points and is a physical force.
Sig too big.

#13 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Kassian, a 21-year-old Windsor, Ont., native who was Buffalo's first-round pick (13th overall) in 2009, has also struggled this season while playing for Vancouver's top farm team, the Chicago Wolves.

Uh-oh. The writer of this article must be a "hater" or a "troll".

#14 Bork Laser

Bork Laser

WWE Champion

• Members
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I was awaiting your response,
Posted Image

Credit to Twilight Sparkle

#15 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Nice catch.

#16 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

What does the "has also struggled" part mean?

As well as Hodgson lol.

"He started out a little slow" Hodgson's coach says.

Get used to it. You can't teach speed.

Edited by oldnews, 04 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#17 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

GGGRRRREEAAATTTT THREAD!!!

We haven't had a good Hodgson thread for sooooo looooonnnnnggggggggg.....

#18 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

As well as Hodgson lol.

I think King's point is when he said Kassian is struggling, most of CDC called him a troll. So since the writer said the same, he's a troll too.

#19 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

POPULAR

Still makes me angry how the Canucks let the best prospect they've seen in years slip away.

#20 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I think King's point is when he said Kassian is struggling, most of CDC called him a troll. So since the writer said the same, he's a troll too.

I saw the point. I've never called King a troll. I just rarely agree with him
Mine was another point entirely.

#21 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

POPULAR

Good riddance to spoiled beef. I would rather have a physical forward than a injury prone cry baby anyday. ::D

Good move Mr. Gillis :emot-parrot:

Go Canucks!! :towel:
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#22 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I saw the point. I've never called King a troll. I just rarely agree with him
Mine was another point entirely.

Yea I agree with your point too.

#23 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

it's true :lol:

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 04 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,219 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Pity his Dad like most politicians seems to stick his nose into things.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#25 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

same as the topic-starter (Trip) lol.... I was hopefull that the CoHo threads had come to an end. Aparently they haven't
Posted Image

#26 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Still makes me angry how the Canucks let the best prospect they've seen in years slip away.

Not much the Canucks could do. Jensen wanted to play in the SEL - it's probably a better place for him to develop than the AHL.

#27 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Like the best prospect the Canucks have had since....

Trevor Linden....

zackass.png

#28 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,827 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Kassian struggling? Not really, he leads the team in points and is a physical force.

Arniel says Kassian has to hit & run over people, crash the net & when he gets away from that, he's ordinary player.20Nov12
Wolves coach Scott Arniel tells us that Jordan Schroeder and Zack Kassian both struggling when it comes to scoring.20Nov12

Kassian was billed as the leaner power forward in the best shape of his life. Schroeder was the playmaking centre whose defensive game had finally begun to flower enough he was being seriously considered for the NHL.
But, on Saturday, not only were the two not playing in the NHL, they weren’t playing in the minors either. Both were healthy and both were scratched.
It was Arniel’s call, though he did let the Canucks in on his decision before Saturday.
In an interview Tuesday, GM Mike Gillis said he supported it....
“They know why I did it,” Arniel said of the Canucks.

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2H4FBznGg

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2H4F2ovA2

#29 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Not Canucks talk, rather Saber talk.

If he's talking about the nucks it's nucks talk, learn how to read.

#30 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,827 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

As well as Hodgson lol.

"Vision,good presence,catalyst for us in all areas---defensively,creating,faceoffs---exceptional ,intense,poise,quick hands.He just does everything well."

Despite missing about two months with a broken bone in his hand, Hodgson was averaging slightly better than a point a game heading into Friday's contest with Abbotsford.
"He started out a little slow, but that was just because he was out for two months, basically," said Rolston, adding the centre needed to get his timing and game tempo up to speed.
"But after that, he's been exceptional for us, just a catalyst for us in all areas -- defensively, offensively, creating, power plays, faceoffs. He just does everything well."
Despite a high public profile, the Toronto native keeps things low-key in the Americans' dressing room.
"He's pretty quiet, pretty intense," said Rolston. "He goes about his business professionally. But, certainly, he's a good presence with our team. He was out (with his injury) for a couple months, and our record showed."
Like all players, said Rolston, Hodgson can still improve his defensive game. But he has plenty of offensive skill.
"He's got really good vision," said Rolston. "He can make plays in small areas. (He has) a lot of poise with the puck, especially on the power play.
"There's a lot of poise on entries once he gets in the zone and is set up. He's got really quick hands, whether it's to finish or to find guys in small-area plays. He does that exceptionally well."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.