The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hodgson stresses positives about his time with Canucks

Everybody Hates Raymond

Cody avoiding questions about the trade is not something to read into as a negative. It simply means he is smart enough to keep business in house, something our GM doesn't seem to put much stock in.

Cody's been given a lot of ammo to take a return shot at Gillis. I would be thoroughly entertained if he did too, nothing like twisting the knife in your old boss, especially one that ripped you in public. He'll remain quiet though, like a good lil soldier.

Oh I don't know, William Hanley Trophy, Red Tilson Trophy, CHL Player of the Year, Hockey News Top Prospect, leading WJC tournament in scoring (gold), leading U18 championship tournament in scoring while being team captain (gold), OHL coach poll voted the smartest player, the hardest worker, the best on faceoffs, and the best penalty killer (so much for your constant assessment of him being a defensive liability, eh?)

Zack Kassian has one up on Hodgson in one area, though: getting arrested.

him asking for a tade just sped up the inevitable. he was never cut out for third line center, should he have kept his mouth shut and learned his role maybe but when there are greedy agents whispering in your ear that your value goes down with your stats it has to be hard on a YOUNG player.hope hodgson all the best he is a very skilled player and will have a bigger role and more opportunity with the sabers.

as for kassian time will tell. he brings a different skill set which i think will be harder to gauge than a goal scorer/setup man.

Oh I don't know, William Hanley Trophy, Red Tilson Trophy, CHL Player of the Year, Hockey News Top Prospect, leading WJC tournament in scoring (gold), leading U18 championship tournament in scoring while being team captain (gold), OHL coach poll voted the smartest player, the hardest worker, the best on faceoffs, and the best penalty killer (so much for your constant assessment of him being a defensive liability, eh?)

Zack Kassian has one up on Hodgson in one area, though: getting arrested.

I was a huge Coho fan and one of the very few defending him when everyone was calling him a bust, and I definetly think you were one of the ones calling him a bust. And were concerned with his AHL stats when he should have been "dominating". Funny he went through everything Kassian is going through right now and you Rag on Zack non-stop yet praise Coho enough to say he had higher expectations than the Sedins did on draft day.

Yeah, Hodgson had a really good season in the OHL 4 years ago.

He managed to beat out other "top prospects" like the WHL's Brett Sonne and the QMJHL's Nicola Riopel to be the CHL player of the year!

Nothing he has done since then has really been up to standard what some, especially you apparently, expected after that season.

Oh, and since junior accolades mean so much to you, Kassian has won a Memorial Cup. Hooray, we ditched the loser and got ourselves a proven winner! :rolleyes:

"Realize", or "delude themselves into believing"?

Honestly, why is there "zero chance" that Hodgson would've stayed here long-term? That's just stupid. The Sedin's are under contract for 1.5 more seasons. It would not surprise me at all for them to retire after that. Not saying that will happen, but it might. In addition, their production declined last season, and I expect that trend to probably continue. Kesler also played some of his best hockey on Sundin's wing. No reason to think that he wouldn't be willing to do that again, with a better playmaker like Cody as the better fit at the C position. The crap about Cody wanting to be close to his family is asinine.

And nope, apparently people can't judge Kassian on his production, either. That's all I've done in this thread, and it's created a lot of hatred towards me. Maybe we shouldn't start analyzing Kassian's performance until he's 25 or so?

Cody Hodgson, as an assistant captain, helped lead Team Canada's 2009 WJC team to gold, leading the entire tournament in scoring and (obviously) named to the tournament's All-Star team.

Since Zack Kassian was never good enough to make a Canada WJC team, I guess we'll call them equal in the "Junior Team Winnings" department.

If you were Hodgson would you have wanted to stay in Vancouver after how the entire situation unfolded with his misdiagnosed injury, his lack of being able to beat out an injured Kesler in the coach's mind, and with a GM who apparently considered you the biggest, whiniest prima donna on the team?

Mike Gillis cited Cody's leadership as a strong factor in drafting him, so I think he was pretty high on him. Gillis would go on and on about Cody, his "character", etc.

And I'm not anti-AV, but that was a real dumb thing for him to do, and if it became a situation of coach vs. star young player, star young player should win that battle every time. Vigneault could have (and perhaps should have) been fired for those comments.

It would be interesting to learn more of what these "issues" with Cody were. I would guess that they were just related to him wanting more ice-time and a bigger role, which, IMO, is a good sort of "whining". He shouldn't be satisfied with being the 3rd line C, especially if his play warrants a bigger role, which it did.

Mike Gillis cited Cody's leadership as a strong factor in drafting him, so I think he was pretty high on him. Gillis would go on and on about Cody, his "character", etc.

And I'm not anti-AV, but that was a real dumb thing for him to do, and if it became a situation of coach vs. star young player, star young player should win that battle every time. Vigneault could have (and perhaps should have) been fired for those comments.

It would be interesting to learn more of what these "issues" with Cody were. I would guess that they were just related to him wanting more ice-time and a bigger role, which, IMO, is a good sort of "whining". He shouldn't be satisfied with being the 3rd line C, especially if his play warrants a bigger role, which it did.

Archived