137 replies to this topic

#61 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Is anyone really surprised that it went down this way? Kesler playing injured or playing like crap will NEVER lose his position as #2 center and top PP guy as long as AV is the coach.

He didn't deserve to lose his spot, I'm a huge AV hater but Kesler deserves that spot over Hodgson, maybe balance out the minutes a little more but in a tight situation you are going to give Kesler that time over Coho.

Plus we didn't know the extent of his injuries till after the season, so we have to consider we are looking at it in hindsight now.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 05 January 2013 - 03:00 AM.

zackass.png

#62 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

:shock: Impossible.

How could you even suggest such a thing.

Hey, you can't blame a guy for trying....:)

#63 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Just give him time and let him know you want him to do good, the pressure of fans is the reason why these players with potential bust... lol Duh, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. I see him being a future 20 goal scorer, more of a 2nd line player than a first. Still, let's hope Vancouver fans don't ruin him too.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#64 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

He didn't deserve to lose his spot, I'm a huge AV hater but Kesler deserves that spot over Hodgson, maybe balance out the minutes a little more but in a tight situation you are going to give Kesler that time over Coho.

Plus we didn't know the extent of his injuries till after the season, so we have to consider we are looking at it in hindsight now.

There were times where I would have argued that Kesler's ineffectiveness (possibly due to injury) should have landed him on the 3rd line, particularly when he started dragging the whole 2nd line down with him. Hodgson's playmaking ability might have helped Booth get into more of a groove at times as well, who knows.

My point was that some people seem to be shocked that AV did not give that spot to Hodgson.........when it is completely obvious that it would never happen no matter what.

But 90% of the time you are right that Kesler probably did deserve that spot over Hodgson.

#65 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

There were times where I would have argued that Kesler's ineffectiveness (possibly due to injury) should have landed him on the 3rd line, particularly when he started dragging the whole 2nd line down with him. Hodgson's playmaking ability might have helped Booth get into more of a groove at times as well, who knows.

My point was that some people seem to be shocked that AV did not give that spot to Hodgson.........when it is completely obvious that it would never happen no matter what.

But 90% of the time you are right that Kesler probably did deserve that spot over Hodgson.

Yeah I agree with your post, and the highlighted statement in particular, AV never gives our young players chances, still bent out of shape with the way he treated Shiro. But I'm also not happy he didn't give Coho better opportunities when he had that great January.

Oh well that's all water under the bridge now, & I'm happy with Zack.

zackass.png

#66 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

Here to me is the big difference in this trade. No one in Buffalo is wishing Kassian were back while in Vancouver there is clearly still bitterness about this trade.

#67 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

Here to me is the big difference in this trade. No one in Buffalo is wishing Kassian were back while in Vancouver there is clearly still bitterness about this trade.

As of now it is a pretty lopsided trade all things considered. I think the Canucks could have gotten more for Hodgson and should have. The timing of it was the worst part for me. No reason at all to make that trade at the deadline unless it was becoming a distraction in the room.

Having said that, we all know that if Kassian all of a sudden blossoms into a Milan Lucic/WCE-era Bertuzzi/etc. type the bitterness would fade in a hurry. Such is the nature of Canucks fans. What have you done for me lately is the norm. And that is perfectly fine in my opinion.

But I get tired sometimes of people whining like it will actually reverse the trade or something.......

#68 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,024 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

Is anyone really surprised that it went down this way? Kesler playing injured or playing like crap will NEVER lose his position as #2 center and top PP guy as long as AV is the coach.

Even hurt Kesler put up more points than Hodgson in fewer games while playing the shutdown role to boot.

Hodgson started on the 2nd line and did little. On the third line he produced. Traded to Buffalo and they put him on their second line with the same result. He didn't produce until they put him on the third line. I don't think Hodgson is as top 6 ready as some here think. The third line, more often than not, draws the oppositions bottom pair d-men.
Posted Image

#69 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Actually reading HF boards alot of Buffalo fans didn't like the deal.

I highly doubt all of them are 100% statisfied with it, some are obviously still living in the dream world that we got destroyed but the longer time goes by it only puts things into perspective and makes things look a bit better for our side IMO.

This is the last time I am going to say it but no matter how much people loved Cody he wasn't going to stay here. he wanted out.

It has been reported he requested a trade right away after us losing to the bruins and in total I have seen reports of cody asking for a trade 2-3 times.

I'm not gunna go into that aspect of it anymore, but the bottom line is he wanted out and we got a good return in Zack.

zackass.png

#70 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Good riddance to spoiled beef. I would rather have a physical forward than a injury prone cry baby anyday. ::D

Good move Mr. Gillis :emot-parrot:

Go Canucks!! :towel:

Yeh? well the guy who rang Thomas's bell with a guided missile from wayyyyyy out says "suck it up"

I can't wait for Kass to do that............but I ain't holding my breath. :frantic:
Kevin.jpg

#71 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

Even hurt Kesler put up more points than Hodgson in fewer games while playing the shutdown role to boot.

Hodgson started on the 2nd line and did little. On the third line he produced. Traded to Buffalo and they put him on their second line with the same result. He didn't produce until they put him on the third line. I don't think Hodgson is as top 6 ready as some here think. The third line, more often than not, draws the oppositions bottom pair d-men.

Drop all these lines down one and we probably have Kassian's position. Right?
Kevin.jpg

#72 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

There are two types of wingers. It matters. RWers - the Canucks hardly had too many.
What are the decorations you are talking about?
Bone head assessment.

Oh I don't know, William Hanley Trophy, Red Tilson Trophy, CHL Player of the Year, Hockey News Top Prospect, leading WJC tournament in scoring (gold), leading U18 championship tournament in scoring while being team captain (gold), OHL coach poll voted the smartest player, the hardest worker, the best on faceoffs, and the best penalty killer (so much for your constant assessment of him being a defensive liability, eh?)

Zack Kassian has one up on Hodgson in one area, though: getting arrested.

#73 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

1. Hodgson is gone.
2. Kassian is the player we got back.
3. Get over it and move on.

Thanks for the information. I guess no ex-Canuck should ever be mentioned again?

#74 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

This is the last time I am going to say it but no matter how much people loved Cody he wasn't going to stay here. he wanted out.

Coming from the guy that doesn't see any urgency in moving Roberto Luongo. Thanks for the laugh!

#75 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Coming from the guy that doesn't see any urgency in moving Roberto Luongo. Thanks for the laugh!

What are you talking about? When did I say there is no urgency? I am of the opinion that now the season is half over it would be better to move him now, but there is no way we keep him past the offseason, not sure how you can say anything about that.

And nice response by the way, rather than give a good response since you can't you come back with this witty response which is untrue.

zackass.png

#76 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Oh I don't know, William Hanley Trophy, Red Tilson Trophy, CHL Player of the Year, Hockey News Top Prospect, leading WJC tournament in scoring (gold), leading U18 championship tournament in scoring while being team captain (gold), OHL coach poll voted the smartest player, the hardest worker, the best on faceoffs, and the best penalty killer (so much for your constant assessment of him being a defensive liability, eh?)

Lol Ryan Parent was a TNH top rated prospect aswell.

Do you see 1st Pair potential in him? Like you did with Brassard and Hodgson despite niether proving anything?

Kassian will bring alot more to our team once he is at his best than Hodgson would have.

I was a huge Coho fan and one of the very few defending him when everyone was calling him a bust, and I definetly think you were one of the ones calling him a bust. And were concerned with his AHL stats when he should have been "dominating". Funny he went through everything Kassian is going through right now and you Rag on Zack non-stop yet praise Coho enough to say he had higher expectations than the Sedins did on draft day.

Anyways as I was saying, now that he is gone and now that I don't have a bias it is much easier to asses Coho's game and what he can become, he won't be a top tier 1st liner, I'm sorry he just won't, he will be a good 2nd liner, capable of 50-60 Points, but not much more than that as far as I am concerned.

He is great in the offensive zone but he average at best everywhere else, and he doesn't have the mobility or strength to bring shift to shift game breaking ability like say Schroeder can, that being said he is great in controlled situations (PP's, controlled zone time) he makes great passes and when he gets the chance has the shot to finish, but as I said he is really a 1 Zone player, doesn't bring many other demensions unfortunatly due to his mobility.

The more I look at the deal the more I am happy with Zack, I like the deal alot honestly, everyone just needs patience, once Zack become the player he can no one will be complaining about this trade.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 05 January 2013 - 06:39 AM.

zackass.png

#77 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Actually reading HF boards alot of Buffalo fans didn't like the deal.

I highly doubt all of them are 100% statisfied with it, some are obviously still living in the dream world that we got destroyed but the longer time goes by it only puts things into perspective and makes things look a bit better for our side IMO.

It has been reported he requested a trade right away after us losing to the bruins and in total I have seen reports of cody asking for a trade 2-3 times.

I'm not gunna go into that aspect of it anymore, but the bottom line is he wanted out and we got a good return in Zack.

It will be years before a realistic assessment can be made of this deal.

Suggestions that CoHo could have been the 2nd center would have potentially been explosive between the Canucks and Kesler. A possibility that Kesler might have been more forthright about his physical condition but we don't know that he was not. The bottom line is that the 2nd line had been ineffective for 2 seasons and CoHo might have helped more with increased ice. His PP time was an indicator of his potential.

Kassian - CoHo straight up is how this deal gets assessed long term which ignores the other two MAG and Sultzer. I liked Sulzer and did not like MAG's constant gambling. Acquiring Kassian confirmed a Canuck need for more size and also recognized the Canuck timeline of CUP contention now and not 3 -4 years from now. ie Kassian could provide a physical presence immediately. The other aspect in the deal was CoHo's health history which makes a long term career a question mark.

#78 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

The thing that he should have done is tried him with Ryan on the wing, that way your not costing Ryan ice time.

#79 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I didn't read much that sounded like he was "stressing positives". Sounded pretty much like any other player answering a question about their old organization after they traded them.

Ya, I think the reporter is some sort of Hodgson fanboy. Nothing in the story really goes with the title.

It is not very usual for a player to say that he hated his previous organization. They say some meaningless nonsense.

The fact that he didn't want to address his time here or departure and wanted to look forward seems like he feels it was a negative thing.

On the good side, it sounds like he is trying to shut up on his new AHL team rather than being a diva. Could be that he is learning that the league doesn't owe him a living.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#80 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the information. I guess no ex-Canuck should ever be mentioned again?

Mention him all you like.The point is that you and others whining every post about the trade will not change it now.

The sooner people realize that there was zero chance Hodgson was staying here long term, the better. And the sooner people judge Kassian on what he does over the next few years (he is still a PROSPECT by the way) rather than focusing on who he was traded for, the better off we will all be.

The timing of the trade tells me Hodgson was becoming a big distraction in the room. There was no other reason to deal him then rather than wait until the summer. So I don't really care what Hodgson has to say about his time with the Canucks because anyone can say anything they want to.....it doesn't mean it is the truth and it doesn't mean it is the whole story. What would Hodgson gain now by trashing the Canucks? It would just prove what most already think about him. So give the kid credit for understanding how to politic the situation. he learned from his dad.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 05 January 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#81 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Cody avoiding questions about the trade is not something to read into as a negative. It simply means he is smart enough to keep business in house, something our GM doesn't seem to put much stock in.

Cody's been given a lot of ammo to take a return shot at Gillis. I would be thoroughly entertained if he did too, nothing like twisting the knife in your old boss, especially one that ripped you in public. He'll remain quiet though, like a good lil soldier.

#82 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,975 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Slow hockey news period?

Mention Hodgson and get Canucks fans riled up again.

Meanwhile, he's a Sabre. So who cares?
Posted Image

#83 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,435 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think King's point is when he said Kassian is struggling, most of CDC called him a troll. So since the writer said the same, he's a troll too.

Actually that's not why people think he's a troll. It's all the things that came before, the language he uses and the refusal to have a discussion that shows his opinion based on the information he chose to include may be incorrect or skewed.

This "people think I'm a troll because I'm not a cheerleader" crap is tired and wrong.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#84 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,975 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

If Mr. Reputable and King keep it up, they'll be banned, right?
Posted Image

#85 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,435 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Such a class act you are.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#86 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

The thing that he should have done is tried him with Ryan on the wing, that way your not costing Ryan ice time.

Actually, this is something I really wanted to see especially when Kesler started slumping. It might have changed the whole dynamic of the 2nd line but we will never know now. While Hodgson was not the best defensively I do think he could have handled the 2nd line center role especially with Kesler on the wing taking important draws if necessary. I also think this might have helpedd Kesler as well.

Lapierre is a good 3rd line center and Malhotra on the 4th is also above average imo. So really at the time the Canucks had the strength and depth at center to have Hodgson and Kesler on the same line. It almost felt like the coaching staff - and looking back on it maybe even management - wanted to keep Hodgson down though to some degree. Maybe they were trying to send him a message who knows. I know they say they had to protect his minutes and such for defensive reasons but come on....I am not the biggest Hodgson fan and even I could see that while not exactly a Selke trophy candidate he was really not much worse defensively than any other center on the team with the upside to add to the offense. He would have likely been able to create more room for Kesler and Booth and it would have solved the RW problem we had (too many LW playing out of position). That it was never really tried tells me more about the way things were behind the scenes than anything else. On all levels it made a lot of sense on the ice. So off ice seems like the issue to me.

In some ways I think Kesler is a me-first player as well for trying to hide the severity of his injuries at the expense of the best interests of the team. He gets a mulligan from most for that but it has happened several times at key moments and his ineffectiveness has cost the team. The coaching staff also bears some responsibility for allowing him to do so and for not reducing his minutes when he was injured.

#87 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,975 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Promoting Hodgson and making Kesler a winger would probably have backfired, as it would've exposed Hodgson's inability to keep up with Kesler. However, that's speculation as well.

I agree it might've been nice to see it tried at least once. Oh well.
Posted Image

#88 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

him asking for a tade just sped up the inevitable. he was never cut out for third line center, should he have kept his mouth shut and learned his role maybe but when there are greedy agents whispering in your ear that your value goes down with your stats it has to be hard on a YOUNG player.hope hodgson all the best he is a very skilled player and will have a bigger role and more opportunity with the sabers.
as for kassian time will tell. he brings a different skill set which i think will be harder to gauge than a goal scorer/setup man.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#89 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, Hodgson had a really good season in the OHL 4 years ago.
He managed to beat out other "top prospects" like the WHL's Brett Sonne and the QMJHL's Nicola Riopel to be the CHL player of the year!
Nothing he has done since then has really been up to standard what some, especially you apparently, expected after that season.
Oh, and since junior accolades mean so much to you, Kassian has won a Memorial Cup. Hooray, we ditched the loser and got ourselves a proven winner! :rolleyes:

Edited by Jägermeister, 05 January 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Posted Image

#90 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Promoting Hodgson and making Kesler a winger would probably have backfired, as it would've exposed Hodgson's inability to keep up with Kesler. However, that's speculation as well.

I agree it might've been nice to see it tried at least once. Oh well.

Fair point. Sometimes though I think slowing Kesler and Booth down a little bit to get them to actually hit the net might not be a bad idea.....haha.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 05 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.