137 replies to this topic

#91 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I was a huge Coho fan and one of the very few defending him when everyone was calling him a bust, and I definetly think you were one of the ones calling him a bust. And were concerned with his AHL stats when he should have been "dominating". Funny he went through everything Kassian is going through right now and you Rag on Zack non-stop yet praise Coho enough to say he had higher expectations than the Sedins did on draft day.

Ha! Who was ever calling him a bust?

And there's a slight difference between what Cody went through and what Kassian's going through. One had a nearly career-ending back injury, one did not. One was benched for being lazy and not performing, one was not.

#92 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, Hodgson had a really good season in the OHL 4 years ago.
He managed to beat out other "top prospects" like the WHL's Brett Sonne and the QMJHL's Nicola Riopel to be the CHL player of the year!
Nothing he has done since then has really been up to standard what some, especially you apparently, expected after that season.
Oh, and since junior accolades mean so much to you, Kassian has won a Memorial Cup. Hooray, we ditched the loser and got ourselves a proven winner! :rolleyes:

AMEN........and the last sentence is GOLD.....haha

#93 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

The sooner people realize that there was zero chance Hodgson was staying here long term, the better. And the sooner people judge Kassian on what he does over the next few years (he is still a PROSPECT by the way) rather than focusing on who he was traded for, the better off we will all be.

"Realize", or "delude themselves into believing"?

Honestly, why is there "zero chance" that Hodgson would've stayed here long-term? That's just stupid. The Sedin's are under contract for 1.5 more seasons. It would not surprise me at all for them to retire after that. Not saying that will happen, but it might. In addition, their production declined last season, and I expect that trend to probably continue. Kesler also played some of his best hockey on Sundin's wing. No reason to think that he wouldn't be willing to do that again, with a better playmaker like Cody as the better fit at the C position. The crap about Cody wanting to be close to his family is asinine.

And nope, apparently people can't judge Kassian on his production, either. That's all I've done in this thread, and it's created a lot of hatred towards me. Maybe we shouldn't start analyzing Kassian's performance until he's 25 or so?

Edited by King of the ES, 05 January 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#94 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

"Realize", or "delude themselves into believing"?

Honestly, why is there "zero chance" that Hodgson would've stayed here long-term? That's just stupid. The Sedin's are under contract for 1.5 more seasons. It would not surprise me at all for them to retire after that. Not saying that will happen, but it might. In addition, their production declined last season, and I expect that trend to probably continue. Kesler also played some of his best hockey on Sundin's wing. No reason to think that he wouldn't be willing to do that again, with a better playmaker like Cody as the better fit at the C position. The crap about Cody wanting to be close to his family is asinine.

And nope, apparently people can't judge Kassian on his production, either. That's all I've done in this thread, and it's created a lot of hatred towards me. Maybe we shouldn't start analyzing Kassian's performance until he's 25 or so?

If you were Hodgson would you have wanted to stay in Vancouver after how the entire situation unfolded with his misdiagnosed injury, his lack of being able to beat out an injured Kesler in the coach's mind, and with a GM who apparently considered you the biggest, whiniest prima donna on the team?

This is also me just pointing out the situation from HODGSON's side. There are just as many if not more reasons the Canucks wanted to see him go. Pretty sure the writing was on the wall there.

In regards to Kassian (and any other player) statistical production is only one part of the equation....yes I have seen your Justin Shultz erection going on in the other thread. Kassian needs to find consistency like all young players. And he needs to play effectively in all 3 zones to do so. Just like Hodgson or anyone else.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 05 January 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#95 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Oh, and since junior accolades mean so much to you, Kassian has won a Memorial Cup. Hooray, we ditched the loser and got ourselves a proven winner! :rolleyes:

Cody Hodgson, as an assistant captain, helped lead Team Canada's 2009 WJC team to gold, leading the entire tournament in scoring and (obviously) named to the tournament's All-Star team.

Since Zack Kassian was never good enough to make a Canada WJC team, I guess we'll call them equal in the "Junior Team Winnings" department.

#96 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Cody Hodgson, as an assistant captain, helped lead Team Canada's 2009 WJC team to gold, leading the entire tournament in scoring and (obviously) named to the tournament's All-Star team.

Since Zack Kassian was never good enough to make a Canada WJC team, I guess we'll call them equal in the "Junior Team Winnings" department.

Look! Its Zack Kassian in the World Juniors!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#97 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

If you were Hodgson would you have wanted to stay in Vancouver after how the entire situation unfolded with his misdiagnosed injury, his lack of being able to beat out an injured Kesler in the coach's mind, and with a GM who apparently considered you the biggest, whiniest prima donna on the team?

Mike Gillis cited Cody's leadership as a strong factor in drafting him, so I think he was pretty high on him. Gillis would go on and on about Cody, his "character", etc.

And I'm not anti-AV, but that was a real dumb thing for him to do, and if it became a situation of coach vs. star young player, star young player should win that battle every time. Vigneault could have (and perhaps should have) been fired for those comments.

It would be interesting to learn more of what these "issues" with Cody were. I would guess that they were just related to him wanting more ice-time and a bigger role, which, IMO, is a good sort of "whining". He shouldn't be satisfied with being the 3rd line C, especially if his play warrants a bigger role, which it did.

#98 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Look! Its Zack Kassian in the World Juniors!
Posted Image

Whoops.

Oh well, Cody still won the gold, Zack won the silver.

:bigblush:

#99 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Mike Gillis cited Cody's leadership as a strong factor in drafting him, so I think he was pretty high on him. Gillis would go on and on about Cody, his "character", etc.

And I'm not anti-AV, but that was a real dumb thing for him to do, and if it became a situation of coach vs. star young player, star young player should win that battle every time. Vigneault could have (and perhaps should have) been fired for those comments.

It would be interesting to learn more of what these "issues" with Cody were. I would guess that they were just related to him wanting more ice-time and a bigger role, which, IMO, is a good sort of "whining". He shouldn't be satisfied with being the 3rd line C, especially if his play warrants a bigger role, which it did.

So when are we supposed to believe Gillis and when we're not supposed to believe him.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 05 January 2013 - 02:07 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#100 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

It doesn't matter what Gillis thought or said about Hodgson when he drafted him. It is pretty obvious the bloom was off the rose by the time it all came down to it.

There is no such thing as "good whining". If you want more ice time or a bigger role and are not satisfied then simply earn it with your play not your mouth. If Hodgson thought he deserved more than he got he needed to make it painfully obvious to AV through his play. Did he do enough to earn a bigger role? Maybe but not to AV which is all that matters isn't it?

Does AV really strike you as the kind of coach that would respond favorably to "whining"? If the choice comes down to a guy keeping his head down and working his butt off for a bigger role and a guy working hard but whining about it, which do you think AV will be giving that time to? It would - and absolutely should - be the former. Does AV apply that principal uniformly? Of course not because he is human and has his prejudices like everyone else. But the point remains that Hodgson made a serious misjudgement playing chicken with AV.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 05 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#101 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

This changes nothing, he still wanted out due to lack of opportunity to play at a higher position. Kassian was hyped up to be actually worthy of a trade, but he's a dud, either that or 5 years away from being a good enough player to make an impact in this league.

#102 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I didn't see him thank Gillis for picking his phone up every time his dad called to B*%&$^ about Cody's ice time.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#103 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hodgson is not 'gone'.
Hodgson is the only top ten pick of the Gillis regime.
Hodgson is always going to be a Canuck and fan favourite.
Accept it.

#104 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,311 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Fan favorite?
Posted Image

#105 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hodgson is not 'gone'.
Accept it.

HELLO 2008!!!!!

#106 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hodgson is not 'gone'.
Accept it.

You talk about him like he is the second coming of Tevor Linden. Cody is a decent hockey player who played half a season with the Canucks and then got traded because he couldn't see eye to eye with management. He will not always be a Canuck, nor is he a fan favorite.

Accept it.

FWYIerW.png

#107 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

We will never know how Cody would have turned out here.
Mismanagement and ego's dictated his move,not some sad excuses from a GM that got a well deserved royal roasting.
Google : Cody Hodgson ,Vancouver Fan Favourite and you will get 1.6 million entries.
Happy reading.
If you are too lazy to read through one or two go back to this topic that you are all posting your love messages on and read:

The trade continues to generate debate in Vancouver because the Canucks lack depth at the centre position and Hodgson became a fan favourite while overcoming a serious back injury, sustained in training, to become an NHL regular in 2011-12. Meanwhile, Kassian, described by Gillis as a rarely available, prototypical power forward, has yet to display consistency in a Canucks uniform.

#108 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

We will never know how Cody would have turned out here.
Mismanagement and ego's dictated his move,not some sad excuses from a GM that got a well deserved royal roasting.
Google : Cody Hodgson ,Vancouver Fan Favourite and you will get 1.6 million entries.
Happy reading.
If you are too lazy to read through one or two go back to this topic that you are all posting your love messages on and read:

The trade continues to generate debate in Vancouver because the Canucks lack depth at the centre position and Hodgson became a fan favourite while overcoming a serious back injury, sustained in training, to become an NHL regular in 2011-12. Meanwhile, Kassian, described by Gillis as a rarely available, prototypical power forward, has yet to display consistency in a Canucks uniform.

I thought he was forever a Canuck?????? Doesn't that mean we WILL see how he turns out as a Canuck????? lol. Your arguments are so ridiculous it is not even funny.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 05 January 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#109 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hodgson is not 'gone'.
Accept it.

:lol:
Hodgson is gone.
Hodgson is in Buffalo.
Hodgson is a Sabre, not a Canuck.
Accept it.

Edited by Jägermeister, 05 January 2013 - 04:09 PM.

Posted Image

#110 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

We are all Canucks.

I would think that applies to players more than rabid fans without a sense of humor.

#111 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,971 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I admire if Cody has taken the high road....he's a good kid and a talented hockey player. I can't hate on him because he was one of our own and he gave me no reason to...I cheered for him not long ago. Unfortunately, I do think Daddy was likely too overbearing/involved and, when your kid reaches the NHL, you have to let him spread his wings and fly on his own. It's a man's game and the growth into it means you trust in the coaches, systems in place, etc. and the parents role should be in the stands, cheering. Some parents, however, are control freaks and live through their children so they have a hard time doing that. I feel sad that it may have impacted Cody and reflected back to him, when he's just a kid wanting to get out there on the ice. Obviously, I have no inside information or insight into this beyond what I've read - including between the lines.

But to hang on to any ill feelings at this stage is pretty pointless...life goes on. Water under the bridge. Etc. Let the kid play his game for crying out loud and take pride if he does develop into something special that this team played a role in that. Just my two cents.

Posted Image

#112 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

The thing that he should have done is tried him with Ryan on the wing, that way your not costing Ryan ice time.

I agree it would have been nice to see what he could do, I don't defend the way AV treated him, not an AV fan at all but it's clear he didn't want to be here.

zackass.png

#113 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Ha! Who was ever calling him a bust?

And there's a slight difference between what Cody went through and what Kassian's going through. One had a nearly career-ending back injury, one did not. One was benched for being lazy and not performing, one was not.

I guess you weren't around in training camp in 10/11? And early in the season when he had a glourious chance to make the top 6 but what cut in favor of Raffi Torres.

And everyone said he wouldn't be anything I stood up for him, using the Kyle Turris example that some people take time.

Pretty much all of prospects that we have picked in the MG era,have been called a busts at one point or another aside from maybe Jensen, it's Vancouver what do you expect?

And that last line made me laugh, you suggesting the 2nd leading scorer on the team and one of the most consistent players at the time was benched for "being lazy" and "not preforming" but what you should I have expected, it's not like you actually watched the games before you made that assumption you just made.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 05 January 2013 - 04:30 PM.

zackass.png

#114 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I thought he was forever a Canuck?????? Doesn't that mean we WILL see how he turns out as a Canuck????? lol. Your arguments are so ridiculous it is not even funny.

Once a Canuck,always a Canuck.
Try to enjoy the league for the players.
They come and go BUT they were once a Canuck and always a Canuck.
It does not matter if Cody plays for another team or Pavel or Trevor or whomever.
For this fan,that does not change the fact they were a Canuck and always will be a Canuck.

#115 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hodgson is not 'gone'.
Accept it.

Yeah I guess him being on another teams roster rather than ours isn't "gone".

And him being the only top 10 pick in the MG era just speaks to how great a job MG has done, remember when he took the job the headline in the Sun was "The Losing Starts Today" and everyone prodicted us to trend downward but MG took us up and won the dvision in his first year.

He's done a great job.

zackass.png

#116 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,126 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Drop all these lines down one and we probably have Kassian's position. Right?

They're both prospects. I'll judge what they become as opposed to what they are now.

We traded a player who wasn't happy with his role and no change in that role for the forseeable future. A prospect whose posse was harping on management to change his role. Management obliged by shuffling him off to Buffalo and addressing a need in the process. I have no problem with that.

Edited by Baggins, 05 January 2013 - 04:43 PM.

Posted Image

#117 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

I know but you know how this thread is going to go. Gonna be a gooder.

*grabs popcorn and a beer*

Hodgson is not 'gone'.
Accept it.

You're so right. Better hurry and retire his Jersey.

:picard:

*grabs more beer*

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 05 January 2013 - 04:40 PM.

13yl1g7.jpg

#118 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,126 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

This is also me just pointing out the situation from HODGSON's side. There are just as many if not more reasons the Canucks wanted to see him go. Pretty sure the writing was on the wall there.

In regards to Kassian (and any other player) statistical production is only one part of the equation....yes I have seen your Justin Shultz erection going on in the other thread. Kassian needs to find consistency like all young players. And he needs to play effectively in all 3 zones to do so. Just like Hodgson or anyone else.

I somehow doubt Hodgson has any ill feeling towards the Canucks medical staff. After all, his own doctor, the Toronto back specialist he sent him to, his junior team medical staff, and the highly regarded US back specialist they sent him to all came up with the same bulging disc problem. In the end it was the Vancouver medical staff that found the torn muscle that was aggravating the disc.
Posted Image

#119 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Actually that's not why people think he's a troll. It's all the things that came before, the language he uses and the refusal to have a discussion that shows his opinion based on the information he chose to include may be incorrect or skewed.

This "people think I'm a troll because I'm not a cheerleader" crap is tired and wrong.

Such a class act you are.

I love the way you phrased these two posts. :rolleyes:

zackass.png

#120 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

A.Hodgson is not 'gone'.
B.Hodgson is the only top ten pick of the Gillis regime.
C.Hodgson is always going to be a Canuck and fan favourite.
D.Accept it.

A. Yes he is. I mean not like dead gone but he's gone from the Canucks.
B. Yes because his team has finished in a spot where they don't draft in the top 10. That's a good thing right?
C. No and no unless we're talking about fan favorites in that each player has fans. I still like Coho quite a bit. He's young, made some mistakes but overall seems like a stand up guy and he's going to be a good player.
D. We've accepted your deficiencies for quite some time.
E. Don't forget to put me back on ignore.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 05 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.