Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Markus Alexander Cody

First credit card.. which one should I apply for?

I'm just wondering which one would be best for a student that goes to school, still lives with parents because school is local, and has a regular job. I've always wanted the Scotiabank NHL Visa card but that one has an annual fee which I DO NOT want. None of TD's cards interest me.

Right now, I'm really interested in either the Scene Visa card or Best Buy's Visa card because I spend the most money there anyways. I just want a credit card any regular student would get with no annual fees and has a pretty good package for a student.

don't forget if you aren't 19 you can't have one that isn't strictly under your name (your parents name has to be on the contract) which means they can see everything you buy.

I have the RBC signature card. It's 40 dollars a year, but every dollar I spend I get a point (approx. 10000 points would get me rayban wayfarers but I already have them, just an example).

It may be 40 dollars a year but if you have the right student account its free. The rewards are fairly sick. Being a university student, I have had the card since last may and already have around 12000 points. They stack up fast

don't forget if you aren't 19 you can't have one that isn't strictly under your name (your parents name has to be on the contract) which means they can see everything you buy.

I have the RBC signature card. It's 40 dollars a year, but every dollar I spend I get a point (approx. 10000 points would get me rayban wayfarers but I already have them, just an example).

It may be 40 dollars a year but if you have the right student account its free. The rewards are fairly sick. Being a university student, I have had the card since last may and already have around 12000 points. They stack up fast

Don't know the fine details of credit cards (19 myself and don't have one atm). but the Scotiabank Momentum Visa sounds good, Basically 1% cash back on eligible purchases and .5% on anything else. Best part is, no annual fees.

But i don't watch that many movies so what might interest me might not interest you.

One with the bank you are with and another one with any one else. Apply a month apart. Remember every time you apply for credit there is a credit check done on you which lowers your score a bit. Banks can tell when you apply for credit, so if you make a bunch of applications this will raise red flags. So just apply for one at a time.

I also want a Scene credit card for free movies.

But I just have a regular old TD Visa.

Just lock in your credit limit to something reasonable like $500.00

Tell your bank to not up the limit.

Maintain control of it, and your credit rating will skyrocket. Don't fall into the trap of upping your limit and getting stuck in debt and can't get out.

Agree with Ghostsof1915... no matter what, maintain control.

Credit card debt can be a nasty thing to get into (with the interest rates, it can be truly a gross situation). I have friends who owe about 2 or 3 thousand (and a family member who owes much more) and you know that when you make payments, it's decreases so slowly because of the rates.

So, my advice is that you only use it when you know that you can pay it back promptly. Only buy with it when you know you have the money coming in within a month. That way, you build good credit and aren't stuck with throwing money away on the interest.

So is it suggested that I only use it once per month I guess? Cuz I'm fine with that. I know how nasty credit cards can be and I want to maintain control. I only want a credit card for online shopping and if I don't have the cash/want to pay with debit, then I use credit card.

Best Buy Visa has pretty good rewards for a no-fee card. But I remember that the first time I applied for it, even though I had a part time job, they turned me down. In fact I had quite a bit of trouble getting my first credit card anywhere even though I'd been working for a while.

I got the bmo airmiles, you can use the airmiles for money, stuff, and of course for flights