Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

First credit card.. which one should I apply for?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

I'm just wondering which one would be best for a student that goes to school, still lives with parents because school is local, and has a regular job. I've always wanted the Scotiabank NHL Visa card but that one has an annual fee which I DO NOT want. None of TD's cards interest me.

Right now, I'm really interested in either the Scene Visa card or Best Buy's Visa card because I spend the most money there anyways. I just want a credit card any regular student would get with no annual fees and has a pretty good package for a student.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#2 One one two

One one two

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Pick the blue one.

5ExRXNw.png?1

#3 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

http://www.creditcar...redit-cards.php

BMO SPC might be good if you go buy stuff

there are more here
http://creditcards.r...t-Credit-Cards/

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 05 January 2013 - 01:18 AM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#4 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

don't forget if you aren't 19 you can't have one that isn't strictly under your name (your parents name has to be on the contract) which means they can see everything you buy.

I have the RBC signature card. It's 40 dollars a year, but every dollar I spend I get a point (approx. 10000 points would get me rayban wayfarers but I already have them, just an example).
It may be 40 dollars a year but if you have the right student account its free. The rewards are fairly sick. Being a university student, I have had the card since last may and already have around 12000 points. They stack up fast

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#5 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

don't forget if you aren't 19 you can't have one that isn't strictly under your name (your parents name has to be on the contract) which means they can see everything you buy.

I have the RBC signature card. It's 40 dollars a year, but every dollar I spend I get a point (approx. 10000 points would get me rayban wayfarers but I already have them, just an example).
It may be 40 dollars a year but if you have the right student account its free. The rewards are fairly sick. Being a university student, I have had the card since last may and already have around 12000 points. They stack up fast

Yeah I'm 19 which is why I'm asking. I mean, I hate paying the annual fee because it's a pain in the ass when it comes, and I really want the Scotiabank NHL Visa card but what would I use it for? No idea. I like that we get 20% off purchases off NHL.com but I've never bought anything off of their website until recently cuz I want a Lidstrom jersey..

I signed up for the Scene Visa card because it adds up to free movies :D But yea... I wanna see if I can get one more where it works out well for me.

EDIT: oh wait wth there's an annual fee of $29 for the Scene Visa? what???? Their website said they didn't have any annual fees....

Edited by Markus Alexander Cody, 05 January 2013 - 03:01 AM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#6 jatylo

jatylo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Don't know the fine details of credit cards (19 myself and don't have one atm). but the Scotiabank Momentum Visa sounds good, Basically 1% cash back on eligible purchases and .5% on anything else. Best part is, no annual fees.

But i don't watch that many movies so what might interest me might not interest you.

#7 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

From what I read, it says I get 1 Scene point per $1 purchase anywhere. And 5 Scene points per $1 spent at Cineplex theatres or online.. So its not too bad.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#8 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

One with the bank you are with and another one with any one else. Apply a month apart. Remember every time you apply for credit there is a credit check done on you which lowers your score a bit. Banks can tell when you apply for credit, so if you make a bunch of applications this will raise red flags. So just apply for one at a time.

#9 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I also want a Scene credit card for free movies.
But I just have a regular old TD Visa.

#10 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Pick the blue one.

Completely agree.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#11 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Completely agree.

Listen to this guy, he knows his credit cards well for a 14 year old.

Posted Image

#12 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Just lock in your credit limit to something reasonable like $500.00

Tell your bank to not up the limit.

Maintain control of it, and your credit rating will skyrocket. Don't fall into the trap of upping your limit and getting stuck in debt and can't get out.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#13 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Agree with Ghostsof1915... no matter what, maintain control.
Credit card debt can be a nasty thing to get into (with the interest rates, it can be truly a gross situation). I have friends who owe about 2 or 3 thousand (and a family member who owes much more) and you know that when you make payments, it's decreases so slowly because of the rates.
So, my advice is that you only use it when you know that you can pay it back promptly. Only buy with it when you know you have the money coming in within a month. That way, you build good credit and aren't stuck with throwing money away on the interest.
Posted Image

#14 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

So is it suggested that I only use it once per month I guess? Cuz I'm fine with that. I know how nasty credit cards can be and I want to maintain control. I only want a credit card for online shopping and if I don't have the cash/want to pay with debit, then I use credit card.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#15 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

Best Buy Visa has pretty good rewards for a no-fee card. But I remember that the first time I applied for it, even though I had a part time job, they turned me down. In fact I had quite a bit of trouble getting my first credit card anywhere even though I'd been working for a while.
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#16 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

Unless things have changed since I got my first card, a department store card (ie the Bay) is the easiest one to get
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#17 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

I got the bmo airmiles, you can use the airmiles for money, stuff, and of course for flights
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.