The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's Official, the Americans have overtaken Canada in hockey

RAMBUTANS

I hate to say it, but the proof us right before our eyes. The land of football and baseball added hockey to their repertoire.

Winning the gold 2 of the last 4 while our boys have been relegated to the sidelines the past few years. It hurts but I think something should be done, drastically before Slovakia overtakes us.

No matter what US hockey is doing, we should do better. Hockey is our sport. We should restore it to its rightful place.

I wouldnt say that just yet... They still have to beet us at the professional levels (WC, OG) to overtake the throne.

Honestly though IMO, it's good for us to have better competition world wide, and if the USA is getting better, than we should safley assume that hockey is growing down south, which is also very good for the sport.

Americans played well. The last I read both Canada and the USA have about 500,000 kids in organized hockey. Enrollment is decreasing each year in Canada.

The big Canadian advantage is Junior A hockey WHL, OHL and the Q. Highly competitive and generally well coached. The Americans take advantage of it.

In typical Canadian fashion the loss this year is seen as a positive by many media and CHA types. BS to that. When Canada won five straight it was with WHL coaches and old fashion physical play. Create the space and then capitalize. This year's team did not have any outstanding strengths or if they did, didn't show them. I saw a lot of low down play which didn't pay off and little hitting.

As big a supporter of USA hockey I have to say lets not jump the gun here, the US hasn't overtaken Canada in hockey yet, we will eventually but we're not quite there. US has great talent and continues to improve a drastic rate, but like Canada in goal tending the US lacks elite players at the center position.

Americans played well. The last I read both Canada and the USA have about 500,000 kids in organized hockey. Enrollment is decreasing each year in Canada.

The big Canadian advantage is Junior A hockey WHL, OHL and the Q. Highly competitive and generally well coached. The Americans take advantage of it.

Let's look at the big picture shall we? I'm only going from 1990 as a sample size.

1990-97 Canada won 6 out of 7 World Junior championships

1998-04 No championships

2005-09 5 championships in a row

2010-13 No championships

If the USA is so dominant why did they finish 7th in 2012? No other individual country has had as much success in this tournament than Canada. This marks the first time since 1998 we didn't even finish in the top 3. So that's the first time in 14 years. But there is question marks with Team Canada. Coaching? Players? Leadership? Systems? Skills? Poor choices for assembling the team? Strategy?

The US has won a total of 3 World Juniors in 23 years. And finished in the medal round only 7 times in 23 years.

Yes, USA Hockey is clearly improving as it's won twice in 4 years. Russia has won 4 times since 1999. Sweden once, and Czech Republic twice.

Big picture is Russia/Soviet Union and Canada are the only two teams that are even in the same league when it comes to World Junior titles.

http://en.wikipedia....nship_medalists

Canada has terrible goaltending every year. Does anyone else feel uneasy when Subban makes a save? Sure he's very athletic, but I'd rather have a big positional goalie who makes saves look easy rather than a goalie who has to sprawl on every shot. And why does he wear the skinniest pads imaginable? USA won because of goaltending and speed.

Let's look at the big picture shall we? I'm only going from 1990 as a sample size.

1990-97 Canada won 6 out of 7 World Junior championships

1998-04 No championships

2005-09 5 championships in a row

2010-13 No championships

If the USA is so dominant why did they finish 7th in 2012? No other individual country has had as much success in this tournament than Canada. This marks the first time since 1998 we didn't even finish in the top 3. So that's the first time in 14 years. But there is question marks with Team Canada. Coaching? Players? Leadership? Systems? Skills? Poor choices for assembling the team? Strategy?

The US has won a total of 3 World Juniors in 23 years. And finished in the medal round only 7 times in 23 years.

Yes, USA Hockey is clearly improving as it's won twice in 4 years. Russia has won 4 times since 1999. Sweden once, and Czech Republic twice.

Big picture is Russia/Soviet Union and Canada are the only two teams that are even in the same league when it comes to World Junior titles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IIHF_World_Under-20_Championship_medalists

As big a supporter of USA hockey I have to say lets not jump the gun here, the US hasn't overtaken Canada in hockey yet, we will eventually but we're not quite there. US has great talent and continues to improve a drastic rate, but like Canada in goal tending the US lacks elite players at the center position.

Archived