Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMBUTANS

It's Official, the Americans have overtaken Canada in hockey

73 posts in this topic

im glad other teams other then canada are medaling to be honest its been a bit stale expectations of team canada have been way too high every year its expected to win the gold and go 6-0 we need to start lowering expectations and enjoy the hockey

Yes they were the best U 19 team this year. but until they beat us on the Olympic stage, they are not better.

USA: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20112012&gameType=2&team=&position=S&country=USA&status=&viewName=summary (Minus Stastny and Pomminville)

Quick, Schneider, Howard

Canada: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20112012&gameType=2&team=&position=S&country=CAN&status=&viewName=summary (Add Crosby)

Price, Luongo, Fleury

Nope I think we're still better, but that's just me i guess.

Crosby SCORES!!!!!

Olympic Gold Medalists and therefore the best in the World. USA will get their chance next year, but as of now a junior tournament means nothing. Salt Lake City and Vancouver, USA silver.

team-canada-gold-medal-2010.jpg

There is so much wrong with that statement. USA may have (temporarily) overtaken us in the World Juniors, but that doesn't mean they've overtaken us in hockey. Does a two week tournament represent a country's skill at hockey as a whole? No. And besides, the USA team finished 7th last year after getting destroyed by Canada in the quarters. In a hockey tournament, it's not always the best country that wins, but which team plays best at that given time. Among the top contenders, it's about execution, just like in the NHL. So it's ridiculous to judge a whole country by such a short tournament with such a small sample of players.

USA can call us back when they win 5 WJ in a row. More importantly, they can call us back when they start producing more NHL players than Canada. Also, think of how many Americans take advantage of our junior hockey system.

USA can call us back when they win 5 WJ in a row. More importantly, they can call us back when they start producing more NHL players than Canada. Also, think of how many Americans take advantage of our junior hockey system.

I honestly don't know that earning a bye does any sports team good...my guess is that, more times than not, it disrupts the flow/momentum that has been generated. Lay offs = not a good thing in what I've seen, whether it be hockey or football.

No excuses, but an observation.

And Canada was 4-0 (with12 pts) when the US was 2-2 (with 6)...that doesn't equate to US domination of Canada. They won the big games when it counted, and that is relevant...but in a game for game scenario, I don't think you should count Canada out just yet. That's not to take anything away from the US team - a big congratulations to them for a great win.

So we are to declare your word as the "official" one now? Makes you a little less than reputable to suggest so. And that "I hate to say" part?....I challenge that, too. ;)

This is an overblown statement made by many after the semifinal game. Galchenyuk was the only player on the roster to have played in the CHL before their draft year to my knowledge. The vast majority of U.S. players play in High school or USHL before the draft, and then are told by their NHL club to go play junior. The main supplier of U.S. hockey talent is the USNTDP in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Since its a 2 year program for 17 and 18 year olds, that is when Americans may choose to play junior or NCAA, again based off the recommendation of their NHL club in many cases

I knew this would be a Mr. Reputable or a King of the ES thread before I even clicked on it.

There is so much wrong with that statement. USA may have (temporarily) overtaken us in the World Juniors, but that doesn't mean they've overtaken us in hockey. Does a two week tournament represent a country's skill at hockey as a whole? No. And besides, the USA team finished 7th last year after getting destroyed by Canada in the quarters. In a hockey tournament, it's not always the best country that wins, but which team plays best at that given time. Among the top contenders, it's about execution, just like in the NHL. So it's ridiculous to judge a whole country by such a short tournament with such a small sample of players.

Still, the CHL is a key factor in the development of the players that go there, and NHL teams recommend it because it's a good system. Not saying that that Canada is fully responsible for developing these American players, but it does show the strength of our junior program. I would bet that even more players would come if it weren't for the education that the NCAA provides.

Also, Seth Jones is another player who is currently playing in the WHL, and has not been drafted yet. Galchenyuk and Jones are arguably their two best players.

Just because Canada lost to the USA and the USA won gold at this tourney doesn't at all mean they are a better hockey country. They have a set of really talented upcoming players, they battled hard and came up with a win. This is a bold statement and quite controversial statement.

Still, the CHL is a key factor in the development of the players that go there, and NHL teams recommend it because it's a good system. Not saying that that Canada is fully responsible for developing these American players, but it does show the strength of our junior program. I would bet that even more players would come if it weren't for the education that the NCAA provides. Of course many Canadians also choose the NCAA because of the education.

Also, Seth Jones is another player who is currently playing in the WHL, and has not been drafted yet. Galchenyuk and Jones are arguably their two best players.

Just Canada to USA the won at tourney at mean are better country. They a of talented players, battled and up a win. This a statement quite statement.

Everyone always goes overboard when Canada loses. Of course American talent has improved monumentally in the last 30 years but to suddenly declare Canadian hockey sub par as a result is asinine. It was a bad tournament and really it's getting to the point where there is way too much pressure on Team Canada anyway. I wonder if it will be harder to find coaches as they really have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If Steve Spott had of won he wouldn't have gained any respectability but now that he lost with that team he's going to get loads of heat and criticism.

In the end it's six or seven games over ten days. One bad afternoon cost them the whole thing. It happens. Doesn't change the level of Canadian talent. A short tournament often comes down to goaltending and that isn't Canada's strength at the moment and Josh Gibson (of the Kitchener Rangers) is stupid good.

Gibson should bring his MVP trophy, Top Goalie Award and Gold medal to his next Rangers practice to show Spott and Murphy :lol:

You win some , you lose some ,thats life .

Wow, another positive thread from Mr. Reputable!

I wouldn't say they've overtaken us yet. That's just the World Juniors. Even on top of that, there are many more Canadians in the NHL than Americans, and if you base it on a per capita scale, we destroy the US in every way. Even though the US has like 10x the population, they still have less players than us in the NHL. Canada also has the most ice rinks in the world by a long-shot.