72 replies to this topic

#61 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Overtaken? Definitely not. However, the US seems to have a system of development that has been working for them. Their forwards have great speed, faster than any other nation, and that seemed to be one key difference when the US played Canada on international ice.

Kudos to Wesker for providing a non-trolling post. Agree with what you said. I really like watching the Americans play hockey, often moreso than the Canadian juniors.

CDC is lucky to have such brilliant scouts:

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#62 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Nice to see hockey is catching on over there. Hockey is a Canadian sport and there is a certain pride associated with that for sure, but everyone complains that women's hockey is a two nation only sport. That's why everyone is trying to get other nations to step up their programs.

It's good for the sport if there are more competitive nations. Clearly there is something that Canada isn't doing right. Maybe it's complacency or maybe it's lack of innovation. Bottom line is, if this pushes us to try new things and it helps us get back to our winning ways, I'm all for other nations to adopt hockey as their sport too.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#63 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I find this thread to be amusing.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#64 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Meh Canada can't win gold, or a medal for that matter every year. Even though Canada hasn't won a gold in 4 years at the U20s let's not forget each year (including this year) they've dominated the round robin portion and then even though losing they've been close in each game. 6-5 OT loss in 2010 gold game, 5-3 loss 2011, 6-5 semifinal loss in 2012 (came back from 5-1), and then 6-5 OT loss in bronze in 2013...that's hardly meaning Canada is becoming weaker. It means other teams (Russia, Sweden, USA specifically) are getting better. The competition is closing and in and we're not going to win a medal each year anymore. If anything that should make the tourney even more intense. If we had had proper coaching this year we'd have a bronze. Putting in a cold goalie for his first start in a medal game was about the biggest mistake I've seen in juniors.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

One game elimination tournaments - not much of an indication of anything "official"

If anyone had officially dethroned Canada, they'd be the team wearing yellow and blue.

Last couple years they have looked like they are in a class by themselves.

This year they did it without 3 of their top 4.

The US got a couple gift-horse goals against Sweden - great second half of the tournament for them, but sure as hell haven't established themselves as the undisputed world's best.

#66 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

The last time the best Canadian players in the world played the best American players in the world, Canada won.

#67 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

World Juniors isn't the best indication of a country's standing in hockey, the Olympics are far more important. That being said I don't like Canada's chances in the upcoming Olympics. Their defence is far worse than it used to be and goaltending will now be an issue with Luongo and Fleury both flopping lately.

My money's on Sweden and even Russia, especially on a larger ice-surface.

Seriously? You think Canada's D has gotten worse? Sweden lost Lidstrom and Russia will lose (or have a very aged) Gonchar. I suppose Karlsson makes up for Lidstrom's offense, but definitely not for his defensive game.

Weber's not really even in his prime yet (defencemen usually peak later) as with Doughty, Del Zotto, Pietrangelo, and we have Keith, Burns, Staal, Green, and Subban, and Seabrook or Schenn as well if need be. The Swedes have Karlsson, Edler (who looked a bit shaky this past season), Kronwall, Enstrom, Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, and Larsson. Their defence tapers off at that point.

I don't know the russians in the KHL to point out their defencemen, but in any time recently defence has never been their strong suit.
Posted Image

#68 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

The last time the best Canadian players in the world played the best American players in the world, Canada won.

Exactly, Olympics trump WJC.

#69 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

This is like saying the Oilers are great because of their Stanley Cups. It's a new generation out there my friend and the Americans are here and they are good and getting better while we are deteriorating.

New generation is deteriorating? Are you fricken kidding me? Perhaps you haven't heard of Connor McDavid? The 15 year old who is drawing comparisons to Sidney Crosby. How about Aaron Ekblad? Does the name Sam Reinhart ring a bell? No? Maybe you've heard of Sean Day, a 14 year old Canadian defencemen who was called by Brian Kilrea the BEST 14 year old he has EVER seen. And that's INCLUDING Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux. And that's just the surface of Canada's future. Don't even get me started on guys like Matthew Barzal, Josh Ho-Sang, or Nathan Noel.

You are either 2 things:
1) A troll
2) A hockey fan who has no idea what the hell is going on

Edited by Nas19, 06 January 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#70 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I guess if you're 12 that's a big chunk of your life. It's happened before several times. We came back to win 5 in a row last time.

Edited by Dogbyte, 06 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#71 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Meh Canada can't win gold, or a medal for that matter every year. Even though Canada hasn't won a gold in 4 years at the U20s let's not forget each year (including this year) they've dominated the round robin portion and then even though losing they've been close in each game. 6-5 OT loss in 2010 gold game, 5-3 loss 2011, 6-5 semifinal loss in 2012 (came back from 5-1), and then 6-5 OT loss in bronze in 2013...that's hardly meaning Canada is becoming weaker. It means other teams (Russia, Sweden, USA specifically) are getting better. The competition is closing and in and we're not going to win a medal each year anymore. If anything that should make the tourney even more intense. If we had had proper coaching this year we'd have a bronze. Putting in a cold goalie for his first start in a medal game was about the biggest mistake I've seen in juniors.

Ha ha, just slightly worse than starting a goalie who wasn't your best heading in the tournament?

Honestly, every single person I heard from said that Binnington was the way to go.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#72 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

http://simple.m.wiki...The_Hockey_News

Call me when the number of Americans on this list outweigh the number of Canadians.

#73 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Too bad they can't catch the Russians ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.