The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tentative Agreement Reached.

Found another article at ESPN that says teams keep both half the cap hit and half the salary.

RETAINING SALARY IN TRADES

This was Brian Burke’s baby, an idea he pushed for years at GM meetings. Under the old CBA, teams could not absorb any part of a salary from a player they were trading -- unlike baseball for example.

But in this new agreement, teams will be able to do that.

Here are the main parameters of the rule: A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso. Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades.

For example, let’s say the Maple Leafs want to trade little-used blueliner Mike Komisarek and his $4.5-million cap hit ($3.5 million salary this year) to the New York Islanders (hypothetically). The Leafs could retain half the cap hit -- $2.25 million -- and half the salary -- $1.75 million -- in order to facilitate the deal. The Islanders would pay him the other half. This should facilitate more trades around the league, no question.

So did anyone figure out if this helps us or hurts us in a trade.

There's no way we would wanna keep half of Luongo's cap hit. That wouldn't make sense. The only way it would help us is if we could trade his whole cap hit, but pay half of his salary.

As far as I've been able to gather cap space and salary are tied. A team can NOT keep cap space only, or vise versa a team can NOT retain salary only.

What I'm thinking as circumvention loophole GM's might look at is since you are allowed to sign your player for 8 years vs 7 for other teams UFA a player, his current team and prospective team may all agree to sign a player to 8 years and trade him to where he wants to go.

So did anyone figure out if this helps us or hurts us in a trade.

There's no way we would wanna keep half of Luongo's cap hit. That wouldn't make sense. The only way it would help us is if we could trade his whole cap hit, but pay half of his salary.

I don't think this rule affects Luongo's potential trade at all.

I think this rule could be used by the NYR in getting a trade done for Wade Redden. With the new CBA Wade Redden can no longer be buried in the minors. His contract will count toward the NYR cap. What they may do is eat part of the salary and cap and trade Redden. Say NYI are willing to take Redden at $4 mill salary, NYR could eat the balance of Redden's contract and Cap above $4 mill.

So a team can retain half of a players salary and cap? Is that the max percentage?

So lets say if the Leafs wanted to trade Komisarek in a Luongo deal. Could they retain half of his cap hit and salary, and make it so we get him for 2.25 mil?

Hmm, Komisarek looks alot more attractive at 2.25. Maybe he could be thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Komisarek

Tanev, Alberts

That would pretty much round out our D, and give us enough depth to counter injuries.

Granted I'm not having the best day today for concentration and comprehension, but then the wording of this one has both cap hit and salary noted as relating to the 50%, where others say contract, and others still say only salary. If both are options at 50% versus just one, can they be done independently or do they have to be linked? That's become a part of the discussion this page and is some of the content I'm finding is not so clear yet.

The 15% is a secondary qualifier along with the 3 max contracts using that clause at one time just to make sure all the cap sharing is kept within a certain amount of whatever the cap is at the time.

Here's a wild one after speculation about Russian players staying overseas:

@IgorKleyner KHL pres makes case existing NHL contracts may not be binding because under new CBA, thus players may walk

@slavamalamud And more Medvedev. "Our league will act according to our own and international rules. If players decide to stay, we will help them."

Archived