The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tentative Agreement Reached.

Even though the lockout isn't fun I gotta say I don't mind that guys like Daniel and Crosby got a bit more brain recovery time. It's also going to be a wild season, only 48-50 means there ain't much time for slumps.

Why are they saying there is a 60 million cap if teams are allowed to spend to 70.2 million?

Even though the lockout isn't fun I gotta say I don't mind that guys like Daniel and Crosby got a bit more brain recovery time. It's also going to be a wild season, only 48-50 means there ain't much time for slumps.

Why are they saying there is a 60 million cap if teams are allowed to spend to 70.2 million?

He would be owed $5.6M (2/3 of $8.4M remaining on contract). You're assuming he gets a 2 year contract. Do you think a 7-point dman would get a 2-year contract? Likely not.

Also, with most big market teams strapped for cap space (thus the buyouts) and most small market teams looking for bargains, odds are he'll sign for well under his current paycheque. Probably like a 1-year, $1M deal ala Raffi Torres, Manny Malhotra, etc. A "give me a chance and I'll prove I can get my game back" contract.

Nik Grossman and his 4 year 3.5 mil contract per year for 11 points says hi...... :)....Ballard would not likely sign anywhere that he would be parked on a 3rd pairing like he is here. A team that needs him for their top 4 would pay him more than 1 year, 1 million because good defensemen - especially ones who can skate like Ballard can - are harder to come by than 3rd line wingers like Torres......

My prediction is that if Ballard is traded early in the season he will get 20-30 points with his new team once he is in a top 4 left side role with PP time.

On a side note I'm really looking forward to Oilers play. I'll watch as many Oiler games as possible. With the additions of Schultz and Yakupov this team is going to be even more exciting to watch than last year. 2 more must see young players added to the 3 already there.

What happens if the salary cap drops to $2000M*0.50/30+8 = $41.3M ?

There's not a chance Ballard or anyone who's not a sure thing is getting a multi-year deal for 2013-2014 with the uncertainty of the cap. Even if the NHL does $3B in HRR in 2013-2014 (which seems unlikely), the cap will still drop to $58M in 2014-2015.

What happens if the salary cap drops to $2000M*0.50/30+8 = $41.3M ?

There's not a chance Ballard or anyone who's not a sure thing is getting a multi-year deal for 2013-2014 with the uncertainty of the cap. Even if the NHL does $3B in HRR, the cap will still drop to $58M in 2014-2015.

Cap won't drop. for 13/14 Cap will be $64 mill. If it drops for 14/15 that's a long ways away and we shouldn't act like we know whats going to happen is 2 or 3 years.

IF Ballard is bought out he will sign a new contract with cap at $64 mill. He will bet $1.4+. No doubt about it. Alberts is a 7 Dman on the Canucks and he gets $1.2+ mill with cap at $70 mill. Ballard is top 4 Dman on most teams, he'll get much more than $1.4.

There is a good chance Ballard will be traded instead of being bough tout. Some border line playoff team would give up a mid tier prospect or a 2nd/3rd rounder for him at the trade deadline. It's unlikely because MG would want to keep Ballard for a play off run and its prudent to have as much depth as possible especially on D but there will be offers.

I'm not debating that, I'm saying he'd need to get $2.8M over 2 years to break even after a buyout (if he's bought out). WHL Rocks said Ballard should be happy to be bought out and I'm saying he shouldn't be because of uncertainty after the 2013-2014 season. He may not even have a job the second year because of a potentially drastic reduction in the salary cap for 2014-2015.

TSN talking about the Leafs with JVR at center. Good luck winning with a line where the top faceoff guy has a career average of 35.8% and JVR has a career average of 23.1% :lol:

4 of 4 panelists said Leafs miss the playoffs sans Luongo.

Archived