401 replies to this topic

#301 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

Good point, someone text Marcus and tell him to hang tight in the washroom.

#302 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

We still need to wait for ratification from owners and players which we know in a few days......if one of them reject then what......

Could you imagine the outrage? The side that rejects will look so bad to the media, fans, everybody. Unless both sides reject, in which case the NHL officially becomes a joke.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#303 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

I am guessing that the trade deadline will be extended......or keep around the same time.......hmm

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#304 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I am guessing that the trade deadline will be extended......or keep around the same time.......hmm

Reports are that the league is aiming for Apr. 5

http://www.sportsnet...trade_deadline/

Edited by Where's Wellwood, 07 January 2013 - 01:39 AM.

Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#305 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Could you imagine the outrage? The side that rejects will look so bad to the media, fans, everybody. Unless both sides reject, in which case the NHL officially becomes a joke.

If such a thing were to happen, I would seriously be concerned about Gary and Don's personal safety. Somewhere out there, there's a trigger-happy superfan who could not handle having his emotions snapped backwards that suddenly.

#306 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

This cracked me up:

Posted Image

Classy organization.

Too bad Burke wasn't there. He would have driven him to the airport himself.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#307 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Looks like Pronger's career is over.
Posted Image

#308 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Classy organization.

Too bad Burke wasn't there. He would have driven him to the airport himself.

Haha! Any chance to make fun of Burkie, perhaps he'll hear about them and become more enraged so that he doesn't think straight when Gillis calls with his requested return for Luongo. We could grab Reilly and their 1st if he's distracted.

Looks like Pronger's career is over.

While likely so, it's at least a positive that he's at the training facility rather than sitting at home avoiding light and noise. I wonder if he has the drive left to play still if he does get healthy, and even if it'd be wise to do so since he's so close to retirement and has a family to consider as well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#309 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Haha! Any chance to make fun of Burkie, perhaps he'll hear about them and become more enraged so that he doesn't think straight when Gillis calls with his requested return for Luongo. We could grab Reilly and their 1st if he's distracted.

While likely so, it's at least a positive that he's at the training facility rather than sitting at home avoiding light and noise. I wonder if he has the drive left to play still if he does get healthy, and even if it'd be wise to do so since he's so close to retirement and has a family to consider as well.

Concussion? I thought it was the eye problem. Took a stick there against the Leafs I believe.
Posted Image

#310 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Concussion? I thought it was the eye problem. Took a stick there against the Leafs I believe.

Yeah I thought it was a concussion too, a real bad one.

Posted Image

#311 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Cool, I am waiting to see how Jagr does in Dallas.
Posted Image

#312 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

He did also have that but it was minor and it's been the concussion that kept him out. Here's a Philly blog from the summer:
Chris Pronger Injury Update: Flyers Defenseman Has 'Good Days And Bad Days' According To GM Paul Holmgren

I provide that as a serious reply, but in the event you were being sarcastic then never mind.

#313 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,917 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Report: Visnovsky plans to stay in Slovakia:

Defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky, acquired by the New York Islanders from Anaheim in June, says he plans to continue playing in the KHL rather than report to the Isles for the 2012-13 season.

Visnovsky, who led all NHL defensemen in scoring in 2010-11, has been playing with HC Slovan in the KHL during the lockout. The 36-year-old had six goals and 27 points in 68 games for Anaheim last season. The Islanders acquired him for a second-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Visnovsky filed a grievance this summer through the NHL Players Association, claiming that the no-trade clause in his original contract with Los Angeles was still valid, since he never revoked it when Edmonton traded him to Anaheim. On Sept. 12, an independent arbitrator ruled against Visnovsky and allowed the trade. The defenseman signed with HC Slovan five days later.

"I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season," Visnovsky said in a statement issued by his agent, Neil Sheehy, and reported by Newsday's Arthur Staple. "I am thankful to the Isles for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons.

"I have made no decisions on next season. My focus now is on Slovan Bratislava, and enjoying my family in my home country."

Sheehy said his client is not upset with the Islanders. "The situation would have been the same with any NHL team," he told Staple.

Visnovsky, who signed a five-year, $28 million contract in 2007, is scheduled to make $3 million this season with a cap hit of $5.6 million.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=649335

307mg00.jpg

#314 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky, acquired by the New York Islanders from Anaheim in June, says he plans to continue playing in the KHL rather than report to the Isles for the 2012-13 season.

Visnovsky, who led all NHL defensemen in scoring in 2010-11, has been playing with HC Slovan in the KHL during the lockout. The 36-year-old had six goals and 27 points in 68 games for Anaheim last season. The Islanders acquired him for a second-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Visnovsky filed a grievance this summer through the NHL Players Association, claiming that the no-trade clause in his original contract with Los Angeles was still valid, since he never revoked it when Edmonton traded him to Anaheim. On Sept. 12, an independent arbitrator ruled against Visnovsky and allowed the trade. The defenseman signed with HC Slovan five days later.

"I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season," Visnovsky said in a statement issued by his agent, Neil Sheehy, and reported by Newsday's Arthur Staple. "I am thankful to the Isles for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons.

"I have made no decisions on next season. My focus now is on Slovan Bratislava, and enjoying my family in my home country."

Sheehy said his client is not upset with the Islanders. "The situation would have been the same with any NHL team," he told Staple.

Visnovsky, who signed a five-year, $28 million contract in 2007, is scheduled to make $3 million this season with a cap hit of $5.6 million.

Suuuuuuuuuuure
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#315 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Well, we all know Snow's going to tow his contract just like he did w/ Nabokov. I don't see why you wouldn't just get it over with and become a free agent in July.

#316 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,917 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Suuuuuuuuuuure

Haha, a team like the Oilers can really use him right now.

307mg00.jpg

#317 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,003 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

He must've been really sour about being traded to the Islanders..

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#318 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

I would be.

#319 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,917 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Crosby says CBA was close to what was already on the table in December:

Sidney Crosby says the prolonged NHL labour negotiations could have ended a month ago with what essentially was the same agreement that was reached over the weekend.

Crosby, long considered the face of the NHL, became the most visible face for the players during an early December negotiating session in New York in which some of the league’s moderate owners, including the Penguins’ Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle, tried to break an impasse and reach a deal.

But just when it appeared significant progress had been made and an agreement might be imminent, negotiations were halted. That impasse disheartened the Penguins’ star, who was eager to play again after missing much of the previous two seasons dealing with multiple concussion layoffs.

Now that a deal is finally done, Crosby wonders why the extra month was needed.

“It’s pretty close to what was there in New York.,” Crosby said Monday after about a dozen Penguins practised on their own. “There’s no great explanation for it. It’s negotiations and, unfortunately, that’s the way it goes. It’s just an ugly thing to go through and I wouldn’t recommend having to go through that again. It’s difficult.”

Penguins forward Craig Adams, extensively involved in the talks, backed Crosby’s contention that the agreement took far longer to be completed than was necessary.

“Even though that week in New York ended badly, we still made a lot of progress, so I agree with Sid,” Adams said. “That probably ended up laying the groundwork for what was the deal. And, yeah, it’s frustrating we didn’t get it done then and we could have taken four to five weeks off this lockout. But for whatever reason it didn’t happen then, and here we are now.”

Crosby said that breakdown was one of the low points of a career he is understandably impatient to resume. Because of concussion issues, he missed the entire second half of the 2010-11 season and another 60 games last season. In both seasons, the Penguins were ousted in the first round of the playoffs.

“New York was pretty bad,” Crosby said. “I felt like we had had made a lot of progress over those few days and to have that announcement that the deal was off the table after those long days and what you thought was progress, that was pretty discouraging. That followed by not a lot of talk, it didn’t look too good right at that moment. But that’s part of the roller coaster of this whole process.”

Now that there will be games again, Crosby and Penguins co-star Evgeni Malkin — on the ice together minimally for two years — are healthy and ready to go for a team that is expected to be a prime Stanley Cup favourite.

With a shortened season awaiting them, Crosby said it is imperative to get off to a good start.

“We have to make sure we’re executing pretty good right off the start,” said Crosby, who had eight goals and 29 assists in 22 games last season. “There will be a few more mistakes than you’ll typically see at the start of the year because of no pre-season, but we still have to start well.”

Crosby also said every game will take on a greater sense of urgency.

“I know we’ve all missed that competition and we’ve all kind of craved that. We’re going to get a good dose of that, especially early on. It forces everyone to be even more prepared than maybe typically it would be,” he said.

As for the negotiations, Crosby said both sides should be “happy” with the deal, if only because it buys at least eight years of labour peace.

“At the end of the day, we’re going to be working together for a long time and hopefully, we won’t have to go through this again,” Crosby said. “There is no doubt the process has definitely been difficult and hasn’t been good for anyone.”

Adams added: “No player should be under the illusion we got a great deal.”

“But we did very well under the circumstances,” he added. “There are a lot of things in this deal that aren’t as good for the players as they were. I think the owners got a really good deal, and hopefully we got enough things in there and held onto enough things that it will be a good deal for us in the long run.”

Crosby understands there is considerable fan frustration following the second extended lockout in eight years, though that might not show up in Pittsburgh as much as it does in other cities. The Penguins, who have nearly 10,000 on their season-ticket waiting list, had fewer than 50 full-season cancellations.

“We know there’s a lot of frustration,” he said. “We were frustrated, It’s a difficult situation and ugly for everybody. But we’re happy it’s behind us ... and we’re excited to get started.”

http://www.theglobea..._medium=twitter

Anyone noticed it has been 3 years since Crosby played a full season? Looks like he has to play in another shortened season......

307mg00.jpg

#320 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,917 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie
NHL player now back from RUS says KHL teams putting major pressure and huge money on table to keep NHLers from returning to North America.

What the hell!!

307mg00.jpg

#321 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie
NHL player now back from RUS says KHL teams putting major pressure and huge money on table to keep NHLers from returning to North America.

What the hell!!

I wouldn't be too worried about that. The players aren't dumb. They know they have it way better in the NHL than the KHL.

The flights are better, the food is better, the hotels that they stay in are better, the trainers are better, the facilities are better, the stage is bigger. All these things add value to the players.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#322 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Some details coming out, keep an eye on Twitter and other news sources:

@tsnbobmckenzie Now that draft copy of CBA terms has been distributed to all 30 teams, there are all sorts of details of the deal now coming out.
For example, the so-called Make Whole deferred payment of $300M to the players is payable in $100M instalments in Years 2, 3 and 4.
CBA is 10 yrs with mutual 8 yr opt-out but NHL has 1st option to terminate, no later than Sept. 1, 2019. NHLPA 2nd option, Sept. 15, 2019.
Players' playoff pool $ go from $6.5M last yr to $13M in each of next 2 yrs, $14M for 2 yrs, $15M for 2 yrs, $16M for 2 yrs and $17M for 2.

Probably much more to start coming out soon.

Edited by elvis15, 07 January 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#323 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

If such a thing were to happen, I would seriously be concerned about Gary and Don's personal safety. Somewhere out there, there's a trigger-happy superfan who could not handle having his emotions snapped backwards that suddenly.

I would pay for that superfan to take some marksmanship training. (as long as he only goes after Bettman)

Edited by Number14, 07 January 2013 - 08:00 PM.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#324 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

if i was wearing a aluminum foil hat i would say this was needed for certain top players to become healthy and certain teams to have certain people be able to purchase certain teams...
but who knows why they wanted to lose half a season... but i is so obvious they had no desire to resolve anything before this point in time.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#325 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Oddly, this was posted in the Luongo trade thread before the CBA agreement thread, but worth a look.

Another article from CBC's Friedmen
http://www.cbc.ca/sp...rto-luongo.html

Since the various reports of a Roberto Luongo trade to Toronto aren't already insane enough...let's throw some gasoline on the fire!

One of the intricacies of the new yet-to-be-ratified CBA is the "cap-recapture system." Basically, this affects players with long-term deals (minimum five or six years, I'm not 100 per cent certain).

Either way, Luongo's counts because his is a 12-year deal. Therefore, there will be a penalty if he retires before the contract is completed.

How does it work?

The simplest way to explain it is this: Let's assume the Canucks and Maple Leafs make the deal. Vancouver would be responsible for the "cap benefit" that it received in the first two years. Toronto would be responsible for any remaining "cap benefit" it gets as a result of contract structure if he walks away early.

Here's the math. Luongo salary:

2010-11: $10 million US
2011-12: $6,716,000

That's a total of $16,716,000.

Luongo's cap hit is $5,333,333. You multiply it by how many years he spent with the Canucks, so, in this case, that figure is doubled. That's $10,666,666.

What was the cap benefit to Vancouver? You take the actual salaries paid ($16,716,000) and subtract the total amount of cap space the Canucks used ($10,666,666). The answer is $6,049,334.

That is the "cap benefit" Vancouver received in the first two years of Luongo's contract. The key -- and the thing I had to check -- is that this number has zero immediate effect on the Canucks' cap situation. It is basically "frozen" and does not become an issue unless he retires before his contract is up.

So let's say he happily goes to Toronto (and really, who wouldn't happily go there?), spending seven seasons there before saying, "I've had enough" in the summer of 2019.

Actual cash numbers

Here are his actual cash numbers for those years:

2012-13 through 2017-18: $6,714,000
2018-19: $3,382,000

He would then walk away from three years at a combined $3,618,000. And, it's time for the penalties.

Vancouver's "frozen" $6,049,334 thaws. It is divided by the number of "unused" years in Luongo's contract -- three. The figure is $2,016,445. The Canucks will get a "cap penalty" at that amount for the 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons.

As for Toronto, the Maple Leafs will pay Luongo $43,666,000. (I'm not pro-rating this year's lockout-infected salary. Going for the easy math here). The total cap hit for those seven seasons is $37,333,331. The difference is $6,332,669. Divide it by the three unused years in Luongo's contract, and the penalty per season is $2,111,890 -- slightly larger than Vancouver's.

I wasn't really tuned into the outside world today, but heard people were wondering if it made more sense for Vancouver to buy out Luongo. These figures make it seem non-sensical. First of all, with the opt-out clauses attached to the length of the new CBA, there's no guarantee the rules will be the same by the time the penalties are scheduled to take effect.

Second, there may just be a loophole. From what I understand, Long-Term Injury Reserve still exists. (For example, it allows Chris Pronger to come off the Philadelphia cap while he recovers from concussions).

God forbid Luongo (or anyone else) goes through that. But he will be 40 in the summer of 2019. Who knows what happens to a goalie's body by then? Maybe he's had enough and is battling some nagging groin or hip or knee problem. He goes on LTIR, still gets paid and neither Toronto nor Vancouver gets any kind of penalty.

Could work.

And my reply in that thread for if it's good or bad.

I quoted yours rather than sampy's because Elliotte explains it better. From what I gather, it's a cap penalty only versus actual money. While we'd prefer to pay actual money rather than have a $2+M cap penalty in future, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The Leafs would be in the same boat.

Where it gets interesting is if you change that example to be a trade to a lower spending team like Florida. If they get Luongo for the next 7 years and then have him retire, then they get extra cap those final three years. That might give them extra incentive to make a deal.

Here's an extra bonus: it might encourage a competing team who could use the cap hit like Florida to make the deal also because it penalizes the Canucks further down the road. This is unlikely, but not as out of the realm of possibility as some other conspiracies around here.

I don't see it being that much a detriment, as it could improve or decrease our chances at making a deal depending on who we're trading with. Couple that with the ability to trade/hold cap and salary, and there are a lot more possibilities for a workable deal where we take on extra money but less cap and a team can get extra cap if Luongo retires early.

As with anything else on this new CBA, it'll take some time of discussing it and getting all the details, so we could be off base on the implications, but it'll be fun to discuss as we go!

#326 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

we have to wait until BOG votes to confirm this deal is like by them...........I think the players will like it but what if the owner dont.....need 16 or 17 owners to vote for majority?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#327 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,003 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie

What the hell!!

Too bad the KHL can't do that. Doesn't the KHL know that NHLers playing there during a lockout have to comeback if the lockout ends or am I mistaken?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#328 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,917 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Tavares should be sour too since he is stuck in Long Island.

307mg00.jpg

#329 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Too bad the KHL can't do that. Doesn't the KHL know that NHLers playing there during a lockout have to comeback if the lockout ends or am I mistaken?

Who's going to force them to come back though?

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#330 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

You are not completely mistaken but kinda. lol

They have an agreement to honour each others deals but there is little NHL can do to enforce that agreement. IIHF would not allow those players who break this agreement to play in International tourney but most players won't make their respective National teams so they don't care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.