401 replies to this topic

#121 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

What did they just say? Variance 35% and 50% in the last year? I'm tired, so may have heard that wrong....

Maximum 35% variance year-to-year. The lowest year must be at least 50% of the highest year.

Example:
Year 1: $10.0M
Year 2: $6.5M (35% reduction from previous year)
Year 3: $5.0M (50% of highest year)

Edited by n00bxQb, 06 January 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#122 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

7 years for own 8 years for other UFA's ( contract length)

I would have preferred 6/7 but I guess NHL can live with 7/8. A lot better than no limit and 12 or 14 year deals that were being signed.

#123 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

LOL, 7/8. Hey, Bill "The Hill" Daly? What happened to the 5/7?
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#124 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

Salary cap next year. $44 mill to $64.3 mill.

Canucks will be fine.

#125 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,389 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

Maximum 35% variance year-to-year. The lowest year must be at least 50% of the highest year.

Example:
Year 1: $10.0M
Year 2: $6.5M (35% reduction from previous year)
Year 3: $5.0M (50% of highest year)

Ah, got it, thanks.

Posted Image

#126 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

LOL, 7/8. Hey, Bill "The Hill" Daly? What happened to the 5/7?

He's the deputy. It's his job to make those kind of statements once in a while. All part of negotiating. NHL got a huge victory going from no limit to 7/8.

Even Bill didn't think they would get 5/7 when he made that statement.

#127 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

Looks like this is our final year to try and win it all then. We're currently sitting at around 67 million in cap hit and can spend up to 70M this season alone. Next season it drops to 64...

Basically we get one chance with this full squad (including Edler and Garrison) before we'll have to cut down big time on the big contracts. Edler is very unlikely to re-sign here unless we can lose Luongo and Ballard for cheap prospects in return. We'll also have to try and re-sign some big names like Malhotra, Higgins, Raymond, Lapierre and Tanev who will, on the whole, hopefully even out.

The Canucks are probably still the team with the best chance to win a Cup right now, but this looks like it's it - our final season where this window is open. It's really now or never.
Posted Image

#128 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

I like the new draft rules, All 14 teams missing playoffs will have chance at 1st overall. It will be weighted but still better than previous arrangement.

#129 Soren5556

Soren5556

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

Don't know how to feel about the draft changes but I'm sure itll be fine

#130 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Players are just hoping they get bought out. If I was Keith Ballard or David Booth I'd want to get bought out.

Get my current contract paid and sign another one for more money. #Winning, as Charlie Sheen would say.

#131 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Looks like this is our final year to try and win it all then. We're currently sitting at around 67 million in cap hit and can spend up to 70M this season alone. Next season it drops to 64...

Basically we get one chance with this full squad (including Edler and Garrison) before we'll have to cut down big time on the big contracts. Edler is very unlikely to re-sign here unless we can lose Luongo and Ballard for cheap prospects in return. We'll also have to try and re-sign some big names like Malhotra, Higgins, Raymond, Lapierre and Tanev who will, on the whole, hopefully even out.

The Canucks are probably still the team with the best chance to win a Cup right now, but this looks like it's it - our final season where this window is open. It's really now or never.

Disagree that signing Edler is highly unlikely.

We are about 2.5 Million over the cap for next year, we trade Luongo for picks/prospects that frees up 4-5 Million, Manny re-signs at a lesser # that saves us 1 - 1.5 Million, We let Raymond walk (unless he recaptures 09-10 form) that saves us 2 Million. Then we go down the line and assess if we need those guys (Player like Higgins and Lappy) based on where our prospects are and what they will take to re-sign.

We will have alot more room than people think IMO, I doubt we have to buyout Ballard, and I think Edler signs a 5+ year deal at anywhere from 5-6 Million.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 06 January 2013 - 05:50 AM.

zackass.png

#132 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

We'll be fine. If we can get a couple good prospects and a pick or two for Luongo and unload Ballard (maybe Booth too) we'll have more than enough space.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#133 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

Players are just hoping they get bought out. If I was Keith Ballard or David Booth I'd want to get bought out.

Get my current contract paid and sign another one for more money. #Winning, as Charlie Sheen would say.

Why would they get more? With a drop in the cap, they would likely get less.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#134 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

You're bought out for 2/3 of your remaining contract, so Ballard would have to get another contract that would pay him $2.6M and Booth would have to get another contract that would pay him $3.083M to break even.

Personally, I don't think Booth will be bought out. Ballard probably will unless he plays lights out this season.

Edited by n00bxQb, 06 January 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#135 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,915 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

couldnt care about the details of the deal

just drop the puck. tainted cup regardless who wins.
Posted Image

#136 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Why would they get more? With a drop in the cap, they would likely get less.

You're bought out for 2/3 of your remaining contract, so Ballard would have to get another contract that would pay him $2.6M and Booth would have to get another contract that would pay him $3.083M to break even.

Personally, I don't think Booth will be bought out. Ballard probably will unless he plays lights out this season.

The rule was if bought out player gets 2/3 of his salary. Ballard makes $4.2 mill with 2 years remaining on his contract. He will get $2.6 mill per year ($5.2 total) if bought out. Ballard only needs to sign for $1.4 mill to break even.

I haven no doubt Ballard could get more than $1.4 mill on open market with salary cap at the same level as last year $64.3 mill.

#137 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

Edler is not going anywhere. He wasn't going anywhere if cap was $60 mill which I always maintained it wouldn't be and that it would end up around $63 mill.

With Cap at same level as last year $64 mill, Edler will be signed. Not much needs to change. Malhotra will resign for $1 mill, Raymond will walk replaced by Jensen so saving of $1 mill and go down the line.

Ballard will be gone, with the arrival of Garrison Ballard was pbbly gone anyways. Idon't think Ballard would have made it past the trade deadline this year lockout or no lockout.

Lu or Schneider will be gone depending on the cap recapture rule, BTW haven't heard anything on this, anyone have update on cap recapture??

#138 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

The rule was if bought out player gets 2/3 of his salary. Ballard makes $4.2 mill with 2 years remaining on his contract. He will get $2.6 mill per year ($5.2 total) if bought out. Ballard only needs to sign for $1.4 mill to break even.

I haven no doubt Ballard could get more than $1.4 mill on open market with salary cap at the same level as last year $64.3 mill.

He would be owed $5.6M (2/3 of $8.4M remaining on contract). You're assuming he gets a 2 year contract. Do you think a 7-point dman would get a 2-year contract? Likely not.

Also, with most big market teams strapped for cap space (thus the buyouts) and most small market teams looking for bargains, odds are he'll sign for well under his current paycheque. Probably like a 1-year, $1M deal ala Raffi Torres, Manny Malhotra, etc. A "give me a chance and I'll prove I can get my game back" contract.

#139 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

No words express how happy I am now that hockey is back

Was up at 3AM procrastinating, go onto NHL.com expecting disappointment, then booooom - AGREEMENT REACHED.

Thought it was all a dream, I had given up hope when we got into 2013

HOCKEY's BACK !!!!!

Look forward to watching Canuck games and cheering for the Nucks and watching CanucksHD if I miss a game and waving my towel and supporting the players

Believe in bluuuuuuuuuue!!!!

EDIT: maybe, just maybe i'll unretire from CDC and return. But that's a huge maybe.

Edited by Nathan MacKinnon, 06 January 2013 - 06:27 AM.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#140 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

He would be owed $5.6M (2/3 of $8.4M remaining on contract). You're assuming he gets a 2 year contract. Do you think a 7-point dman would get a 2-year contract? Likely not.

Also, with most big market teams strapped for cap space (thus the buyouts) and most small market teams looking for bargains, odds are he'll sign for well under his current paycheque. Probably like a 1-year, $1M deal ala Raffi Torres, Manny Malhotra, etc. A "give me a chance and I'll prove I can get my game back" contract.

Yes, $2.8 mill per year so $5.6 mill buyout.

But as far as how much Ballard gets we will see. I don't think teams are going to be strapped for cash with same cap as last year. A hand full of teams might be but 20+ teams won't .

Torres signed a $3.5 mill 2 year deal after that 1 year for $1 mill. So he didn't do too bad.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 January 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#141 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Even though the lockout isn't fun I gotta say I don't mind that guys like Daniel and Crosby got a bit more brain recovery time. It's also going to be a wild season, only 48-50 means there ain't much time for slumps.

Why are they saying there is a 60 million cap if teams are allowed to spend to 70.2 million?

#142 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

Even though the lockout isn't fun I gotta say I don't mind that guys like Daniel and Crosby got a bit more brain recovery time. It's also going to be a wild season, only 48-50 means there ain't much time for slumps.

Why are they saying there is a 60 million cap if teams are allowed to spend to 70.2 million?

2013 = $70.2M Pro-Rated Salary Cap
2013-2014 = $64.3M Salary Cap
2014-2015 and on = 50% HRR midway point +/- $8M for Salary Cap and Floor.

They're saying there will probably be 52 games this season, which is sweet.

Edited by n00bxQb, 06 January 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#143 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Going to bed with a smile on my face!!! Good night and can't wait when hockey starts up!

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#144 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,911 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Nik Grossman and his 4 year 3.5 mil contract per year for 11 points says hi......:)....Ballard would not likely sign anywhere that he would be parked on a 3rd pairing like he is here. A team that needs him for their top 4 would pay him more than 1 year, 1 million because good defensemen - especially ones who can skate like Ballard can - are harder to come by than 3rd line wingers like Torres......

My prediction is that if Ballard is traded early in the season he will get 20-30 points with his new team once he is in a top 4 left side role with PP time.

#145 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Nik Grossman and his 4 year 3.5 mil contract per year for 11 points says hi...... :)....Ballard would not likely sign anywhere that he would be parked on a 3rd pairing like he is here. A team that needs him for their top 4 would pay him more than 1 year, 1 million because good defensemen - especially ones who can skate like Ballard can - are harder to come by than 3rd line wingers like Torres......

My prediction is that if Ballard is traded early in the season he will get 20-30 points with his new team once he is in a top 4 left side role with PP time.

Grossman is a different defenseman than Ballard (and still outproduced him). He's a young, large, physical defenseman who skates well. Ballard would be in his 30s and is small by NHL defenseman standards and his MO is that he's supposed to be a puck-moving dman (aka offense generator).

#146 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Keith Ballard will get $1.4+ mill per year as UFA with a league cap at $64 mill. Ballard is a top 4 Dman on 80% of NHL teams.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 January 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#147 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,911 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Grossman is a different defenseman than Ballard (and still outproduced him). He's a young, large, physical defenseman who skates well. Ballard would be in his 30s and is small by NHL defenseman standards and his MO is that he's supposed to be a puck-moving dman (aka offense generator).

Given his role, his ice time (and lack thereof on the PP), and a revolving door of partners here, it is pretty obvious that Ballard has not been in the position to play his style of game effectively. I'm pretty sure after this experience he will be looking at where he fits in very closely on any team he is considering signing with if he is bought out. I would think that would probably be more important than dollars anyway to him.

He can still skate like the wind and make good stretch passes from his own zone. He still hits a lot and blocks a lot of shots. You really believe no other team would want him at anything other than a prove me contract???? Not all teams have the same defence top to bottom that the Canucks have the luxury of.

#148 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,911 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

I suspect Ballard will be traded by the trade deadline before he is ever bought out though.

#149 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Keith Ballard will get $1.4+ mill per year as UFA with a league cap at $64 mill. Ballard is a top 4 Dman on 80% of NHL teams.

What happens if the salary cap drops to $2000M*0.50/30+8 = $41.3M (based on $2B in HRR)? or $49.7M (based on $2.5B in HRR) ?

There's not a chance Ballard or anyone who's not a sure thing is getting a multi-year deal for 2013-2014 with the uncertainty of the cap beyond the 2013-2014 season. Even if the NHL does $3B in HRR in 2013-2014 (which seems unlikely), the cap will still drop to $58M in 2014-2015.

Edited by n00bxQb, 06 January 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#150 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

On a side note I'm really looking forward to Oilers play. I'll watch as many Oiler games as possible. With the additions of Schultz and Yakupov this team is going to be even more exciting to watch than last year. 2 more must see young players added to the 3 already there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.