401 replies to this topic

#151 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

What happens if the salary cap drops to $2000M*0.50/30+8 = $41.3M ?

There's not a chance Ballard or anyone who's not a sure thing is getting a multi-year deal for 2013-2014 with the uncertainty of the cap. Even if the NHL does $3B in HRR in 2013-2014 (which seems unlikely), the cap will still drop to $58M in 2014-2015.

If he only gets a one year deal as you suggest for 2013-14 it will be for more than 1.4 million.

#152 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

What happens if the salary cap drops to $2000M*0.50/30+8 = $41.3M ?

There's not a chance Ballard or anyone who's not a sure thing is getting a multi-year deal for 2013-2014 with the uncertainty of the cap. Even if the NHL does $3B in HRR, the cap will still drop to $58M in 2014-2015.

Cap won't drop. for 13/14 Cap will be $64 mill. If it drops for 14/15 that's a long ways away and we shouldn't act like we know whats going to happen is 2 or 3 years.

IF Ballard is bought out he will sign a new contract with cap at $64 mill. He will bet $1.4+. No doubt about it. Alberts is a 7 Dman on the Canucks and he gets $1.2+ mill with cap at $70 mill. Ballard is top 4 Dman on most teams, he'll get much more than $1.4.

There is a good chance Ballard will be traded instead of being bough tout. Some border line playoff team would give up a mid tier prospect or a 2nd/3rd rounder for him at the trade deadline. It's unlikely because MG would want to keep Ballard for a play off run and its prudent to have as much depth as possible especially on D but there will be offers.

#153 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Cap won't drop. for 13/14 Cap will be $64 mill. If it drops for 14/15 that's a long ways away and we shouldn't act like we know whats going to happen is 2 or 3 years.

IF Ballard is bought out he will sign a new contract with cap at $64 mill. He will bet $1.4+. No doubt about it. Alberts is a 7 Dman on the Canucks and he gets $1.2+ mill with cap at $70 mill. Ballard is top 4 Dman on most teams, he'll get much more than $1.4.

There is a good chance Ballard will be traded instead of being bough tout. Some border line playoff team would give up a mid tier prospect or a 2nd/3rd rounder for him at the trade deadline. It's unlikely because MG would want to keep Ballard for a play off run and its prudent to have as much depth as possible especially on D but there will be offers.

I don't see the point in keeping Ballard beyond the trade deadline if they aren't going to use him in a role that suits him.....may as well get someone that can be a big punishing stay at home type on that 3rd pairing.

#154 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

I don't see the point in keeping Ballard beyond the trade deadline if they aren't going to use him in a role that suits him.....may as well get someone that can be a big punishing stay at home type on that 3rd pairing.

Yeah I agree, as I said earlier I don't think Ballard would have stayed regardless of lockout or next year's cap. With Garrison signing here and Edler sure to re-sign I don't think there is room for Ballard and his $4.2 mill salary on this team.

A big punishing Dman is what this team has been lacking for the past few years. They are hard to come buy but this team desperately needs one.

Edit maybe they can trade Ballard for a pick or prospect at trade deadline and get a big punishing type of Dman in a Luongo package.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 January 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#155 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

If he only gets a one year deal as you suggest for 2013-14 it will be for more than 1.4 million.

I'm not debating that, I'm saying he'd need to get $2.8M over 2 years to break even after a buyout (if he's bought out). WHL Rocks said Ballard should be happy to be bought out and I'm saying he shouldn't be because of uncertainty after the 2013-2014 season. He may not even have a job the second year because of a potentially drastic reduction in the salary cap for 2014-2015.

#156 Canouver

Canouver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Finally.

#157 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

I'm not debating that, I'm saying he'd need to get $2.8M over 2 years to break even after a buyout (if he's bought out). WHL Rocks said Ballard should be happy to be bought out and I'm saying he shouldn't be because of uncertainty after the 2013-2014 season. He may not even have a job the second year because of a potentially drastic reduction in the salary cap for 2014-2015.

He'll get $2.8 mill over 2 years. He could get that much in his 1st year. Lets move on and revisit this topic when and if Ballard is ever bought out.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 January 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#158 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

No word on cap advantage recapture. I guess it didn't make it into final agreement.

#159 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Haven't felt this excitement in a long time.

#160 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

TSN talking about the Leafs with JVR at center. Good luck winning with a line where the top faceoff guy has a career average of 35.8% and JVR has a career average of 23.1% :lol:

4 of 4 panelists said Leafs miss the playoffs sans Luongo.

Edited by n00bxQb, 06 January 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#161 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

World Cup to be re introduced. Awesome. I used to love the Canada Cup and then the World Cup.

#162 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

World Cup to be re introduced. Awesome. I used to love the Canada Cup and then the World Cup.

I read that's not finalized yet nor are the Olympics. They're going to work that out at a later date from what I've seen, heard, and read.

#163 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,466 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#164 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Is it still live on TSN?
Posted Image

#165 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Is it still live on TSN?

They have "Game On" right now where they're previewing the various Canadian teams. They're doing Montreal right now.

#166 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Can someone explain how the buyout system works? This appears as he looses one third of the remaining bucks on his deal???

Cap recapture? Is that the suggestion where one team could pay a portion of a players salary when trading him, but pass all cap? And conversely pass all of salary but absorb a portion of the cap?

No word on cap advantage recapture. I guess it didn't make it into final agreement.

#167 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Can someone explain how the buyout system works? This appears as he looses one third of the remaining bucks on his deal???

Cap recapture? Is that the suggestion where one team could pay a portion of a players salary when trading him, but pass all cap? And conversely pass all of salary but absorb a portion of the cap?

Most players can be bought out for 2/3 of their remaining salary (rookie players can be bought out for 1/3).

Edited by n00bxQb, 06 January 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#168 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Read: The Cap Recapture Formula/CBA Problems
December 23rd, 2012 2:34 pm
AtESPN.com, Pierre LeBrun detailed one of the issues in the new CBA that would punish teams for the long-term back diving contracts that they signed.

This would hit a team with a cap hit if a player still under contract retires.

The NHL proposal, according to LeBrun, wants to punish teams that have players signed longer than five years with the NHLPA proposal punishing teams that have players signed for more than seven years.

The NHL proposal from October explained their stance as “We are proposing that all years of existing long-term contracts in excess of five (5) years be counted against a Club’s Cap regardless of whether or where a Player is playing. While such contracts (and Cap charges) can be traded during their terms, in the event a Player subsequently retires or ceases to play, the effective Cap charge would revert to the Club that originally entered into the contract. This proposal is consistent with our other proposals intended to address the harmful effects of long-term, front-loaded, “back-diving” contracts.”

#169 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,274 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Glad to see that the NHL boycott is well established! :)

After all this I can't see that the NHL didn't get pretty much all they wanted. At what cost to the players?

#170 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

After all this I can't see that the NHL didn't get pretty much all they wanted. At what cost to the players?

Players are still getting far too much!
Posted Image

#171 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Nah, 50/50 is fair. Prior to 2005 they were getting 75% , in 2012, 57%. So getting them down to 50% is pretty good.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 January 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#172 Jet_91

Jet_91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

The NHL can stick this new deal where the sun don't shine. I don't care, I've said from day 1 I'm done and I'm sticking to it. This lockout was the last straw for me in a long, long line of problems I've had with the league the past few years. So congrats, enjoy your hockey this year everyone who enjoys the game still, but I can't stomach this league any longer and see no reason why I should give them my time, money, and emotional investment again at this present time.

#173 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, I think Bettman got everything he wished for. He definitely won by a country mile. Great negotiator. Hats off to Bettman.

#174 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

The NHL can stick this new deal where the sun don't shine. I don't care, I've said from day 1 I'm done and I'm sticking to it. This lockout was the last straw for me in a long, long line of problems I've had with the league the past few years. So congrats, enjoy your hockey this year everyone who enjoys the game still, but I can't stomach this league any longer and see no reason why I should give them my time, money, and emotional investment again at this present time.

K thanks for coming on NHL forums and letting us all know that you stick by what you said the last time you came on these boards.

We get it. You will never watch hockey again.

#175 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Players are still getting far too much!

They're going to get killed on escrow the first 2 years. I really don't understand why they pushed for a higher cap when it just means that they'll end up losing more in escrow.

Assuming a 25% drop in HRR and, obviously, pro-rated for this season:
2013 Salary committed = $1,801,134,168
Pro-Rated for a 50-game season = $1,098,252,540

2011-2012 HRR = $3304M
25% Reduction = $2478M
Pro-Rated = $1511M
Player's Share (50%) = $755,487,805
Make Whole = $149M
Total Player's Share = $904,487,805 (~60% of HRR ... :lol: @ 50/50)

Total owed in Escrow for 2012-2013 season = $193,764,735

Total owed in Escrow for 2013-2014 season based on 25% drop in HRR = $475.75M

Edited by n00bxQb, 06 January 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#176 Jet_91

Jet_91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

K thanks for coming on NHL forums and letting us all know that you stick by what you said the last time you came on these boards.

We get it. You will never watch hockey again.

That is correct whether you choose to believe so or not. I actually wish I could be excited about hockey again like everyone else, but I'm still too soured by this league to ever see the point of supporting it again. At least in it's current form anyway.

Have a nice day everyone!

#177 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I read that's not finalized yet nor are the Olympics. They're going to work that out at a later date from what I've seen, heard, and read.

Not finalized but it will be. It's a side deal. TSN has reported that soon Bettman Fehr and Nicholson will meet to hammer out details. Both sides want to raise revenues and a good way to do that is by being involved in International play.

#178 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

That is correct whether you choose to believe so or not. I actually wish I could be excited about hockey again like everyone else, but I'm still too soured by this league to ever see the point of supporting it again. At least in it's current form anyway.

Have a nice day. Carry on. And try not to think about hockey too much.

#179 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Then what are you doing on a NHL hockey message board?

Weirdo.

Posted Image

#180 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Posted Image

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.