#182 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hockey!

And hopefully Kesler is ready to play....some of those injuries were pretty serious. Also the Luongo saga can now continue....

#183 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Its true woooooooohooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#184 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Bettman still sucks

#185 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Wakes up and already sees some great news! I knew it the deal would be made early in the morning since they were in the room for 16 hours. Kudos to them. But why couldn't they do this in October or December? Oh well....

HOCKEY IS BACK!!!!!

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 06 January 2013 - 10:17 AM.

307mg00.jpg

#186 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I just love the idiots who think this lockout is Bettmans fault. Gary Bettman is the reason the lockout is over.
Posted Image

#187 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,828 posts

I hope the people who say they don't care stick to it. I'd love access to their tickets. Why deprive yourself of something you loved so long to prove a point that probably won't be felt by anyone other that yourself?
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#188 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Oh my God!!! I just remembered several hockey pools that were on hold and needs drafting!!!!
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#189 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

I just got out of bed and ran through the house cheering.

Edited by -Trapped In CDC-, 06 January 2013 - 10:10 AM.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#190 Mr. Self Destruct

Mr. Self Destruct

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I just love the idiots who think this lockout is Bettmans fault. Gary Bettman is the reason the lockout is over.

I believe that the federal mediator is the reason the lockout is over. He is the one who brought the two sides together yesterday and facilitated that marathon bargaining session.

I am glad the lockout is over, but I will still not watch the opening game nor buy any NHL merchandise this year. This whole thing has left a really bitter taste in my mouth.
Fire Bettman.

#191 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Wakes up and already sees some great news! I knew it the deal would be made early in the morning since they were in the room for 16 hours. Kudos to them. But why couldn't they do this in October or January? Oh well....

HOCkEY IS BACK!!!!!

hehe.... need some coffee VC?

#192 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

hehe.... need some coffee VC?

Getting one right now. ;)

December*

307mg00.jpg

#193 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Will there be a pre-season?

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#194 tingleydane

tingleydane

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

i see comments refering to the new cba agreement.

is there a signed agreement to read on the web somewhere or is it from what has bean said through bettmans and dons statements in interveiws that your getting this information. ?

#195 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I wonder how long it'll take for the majority of players to get their feet and hands back. I hope it won't be ugly hockey for too long.

#196 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Will there be a pre-season?

They were saying a 1-game preseason

#197 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

i see comments refering to the new cba agreement.

is there a signed agreement to read on the web somewhere or is it from what has bean said through bettmans and dons statements in interveiws that your getting this information. ?

It's a Tentative Agreement, so it's agreed to in principle, but hasn't been signed and hasn't been ratified. That process will likely take a few days.

#198 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

I told you these A Holes would get an agreement done at last minute and both look to save face.

#199 tingleydane

tingleydane

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

<p>thanks for replying so quickly noobxqb . i'll rephrase then is there anywhere to veiw whats in the tentative agreement? i understand tentative means not finalized but im just trying to get more information.

Edited by tingleydane, 06 January 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#200 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Well, I'm betting he's an insurance policy on Edler leaving. He was supposed to be the smooth skating and puck rushing policy on Erhoff; but it turned he was very uncomfortable on the right side.

But add to the conversation, as much as he played the right side on the PP with Campbell in Florida, that Garrison is also a natural left D. His signature is actually his 220 lb body and defensive play, with his shot being a (big) bonus. Can he play right side as a shut down guy?

Add it up and one of Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Garrison on the left side D should be traded? Perhaps even if Edler is not signed!

I like Tanev, but I am nowhere near comfortable with him as our 2knd best right handed shot on D, nor as a Top 4 role at this stage. We need to convert one of those bodies into a right D that also has components of puck rushing (all our guys are passing D), a right shot and size!

Yeah I agree, as I said earlier I don't think Ballard would have stayed regardless of lockout or next year's cap. With Garrison signing here and Edler sure to re-sign I don't think there is room for Ballard and his $4.2 mill salary on this team.

A big punishing Dman is what this team has been lacking for the past few years. They are hard to come buy but this team desperately needs one.

Edit maybe they can trade Ballard for a pick or prospect at trade deadline and get a big punishing type of Dman in a Luongo package.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 06 January 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#201 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Well, I'm betting he's an insurance policy on Edler leaving. He was supposed to be the smooth skating and puck rushing policy on Erhoff; but it turned he was very uncomfortable on the right side.

But add to the conversation, as much as he played the right side on the PP with Campbell in Florida, that Garrison is also a natural left D. His signature is actually his 220 lb body and defensive play, with his shot being a (big) bonus. Can he play right side as a shut down guy?

Add it up and one of our 4 (Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Garrison) left side D should be traded! I like Tanev, but I am nowhere near comfortable with him as our 2knd best right handed shot on D, nor as a Top 4 role at this stage.

Some time ago I read this article about where Rick Bowness plans to play Garrison, it's the left side. He won't be on the right side.
Bowness plans to move either Bieksa or Edler to the right side. (edit) of Garrison.

Edit Here's the article. The author goes into detail and doesn't agree with Bowness so it's worth a read.

RICK BOWNESS PLANS ON PLAYING GARRISON ON THE LEFT SIDE, SO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE CANUCKS' DEFENSE REMAINS A BIG QUESTION MARK

On Tuesday morning, Canucks assistant coach Rick Bowness (who is primarily responsible for handling the team's defense) appeared with Scott Rintoul and Jason Botchford on the Team 1040. Bowness talked about the NHL lockout, the spectre of a super short training camp should there actually be an NHL season in 2012-13, and also briefly discussed his plans for how to deply newly minted Canucks defenseman Jason Garrison in a hypothetical upcoming season.

Read past the jump for more.

Here's the full quote of Bowness' response to Rintoul who asked, "Do you have a gut feel for who will play with [Jason Garrison]?":

"We've talked a lot about that, with losing Sami the right side obviously changes a lot. We've got to sort out, if we're going to move someone over who that is... I know Jason is more comfortable on the left-side, so his teammate will most likely be either Kevin or Alex Edler on the right side. I know he's more comfortable on the left-side and that's where we're planning on playing him."

Now before we wade into the analytical muck, let's remember that Bowness was asked a philisophical question, and didn't exactly give a firm answer (though he did reveal that the team has been talking about it a lot). For now Bowness is planning on playing Jason Garrison on the left-side, possibly breaking up Vancouver's ace shutdown pairing, while potentially moving Alex Edler to his off-side.

I like the sounds of absolutely none of that, but realistically the team hasn't gone through training camp, and Bowness hasn't been able to interact with the majority of his blueliners in nearly two months. So we'd do well not to over-react to Bowness' preliminary quote here.

That said, if the Canucks aren't even planning on trying Jason Garrison out on the right-side - he played there on the power-play in Florida last season and Mike Gillis hinted that the team considered him a right-side fit this summer - then he really might not fit in with the Canucks' current lineup.

Consider that the Canucks now have five defenseman signed for 3 million or more, and only one of those well compensated blue-liners is a proven, tough-minutes option who can play the right-side (Kevin Bieksa) in top-four minutes.

Keith Ballard, for example, is so uncomfortable playing the right-side than when he played with Andrew Alberts, who isn't the most highly skilled defenseman around, last season - Alberts was the guy who switched sides. Dan Hamhuis played some right-side point on the power-play, but he's most comfortable on the left and philisophically I don't think it makes a lot of sense for the Canucks to do anything that might neuter the effectiveness of their best defensive defenseman.

That leaves Alex Edler, who is a relatively permissive defender even when playing his natural left-side. Last season he played roughly 170 minutes on the right-side, most of them with Dan Hamhuis but he played about 60 minutes with Keith Ballard as well. Hypothetically, a guy with Edler's skill level would be the natural candidate to switch sides, but I don't find the idea tthat he's capable of making the adjustment full-time to be complelling in the slightest. While 170 minutes isn't a big sample, the Canucks were outscored to the tune of four-to-ten last season when Edler played the right-side at even-strength...

Luckily, Bowness hasn't had a chance to really observe any potential pairings at this point. Maybe the Canucks will shelter Edler in an extreme fashion for the first third of a season while he works out the kinks and adjusts to his off-side. But there are draw backs to this approach, and you probably want to challenge Edler to the fullest extent imaginable in his contract year. Best to know exactly what you've got before you make a highly-talented but infuriatingly inconsistent player like Alex Edler the highest paid defenseman on the club.

Presumably the Canucks will go through some trial and error with different defensive combinations during a shortened training camp and preseason, and probably into a shortened regular season as well (god willing). So again: we don't really know anything yet, and it's still very much possible that Garrison ends up on Edler's right-side.

But if neither Garrison nor Edler can adjust to playing the right-side point, and based on the stats and my own observations, I'm very bearish about Edler's prospects as a permanent fit on the right-side; well, then the Canucks blue-line looks like something of a clusterfrack.

Theoretically this could leave the team with four defenseman who play the left-side exclusively and are highly paid, while an undrafted free-agent with 60-ish games of NHL experience (Chris Tanev) would be counted on to slot into the top-four. Tanev is a quality defenseman and a superb defensive player, but I'm not convinced based on what we've seen, that he's ready to play a shutdown role on a conteding team. Better to have him crushing it on the third-pairing, I think.

But beyond Tanev the other ride-side options on the Canucks' depth chart are Kevin Connauton and Frankie Corrado. I like both players as prospects, but yikes.

Obviously none of this is ideal, and it seems to me that something has got to give (like moving Ballard, who probably has negative trade value at this juncture). Or perhaps a creative sollution could be found, but nonetheless this should be an area of concern for the Canucks and their fans. Top-four defensemen are nearly impossible to affordably acquire in-season, so if neither Garrison nor Edler can figure out how to be effective in relatively tough minutes while playing the right-side in the top-four, then the Canucks' defense might be appreciably worse than anticipated.

Meanwhile, the Canucks whiffing on Justin Schultz's services and the departures of Sami Salo and versatile switch hitter Aaron Rome could loom large..

There is no doubt Edler will be re-signed. Ballard will be gone before end of next season, either thru buyout or if MG can pull it off, via trade.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#202 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

<p>thanks for replying so quickly noobxqb . i'll rephrase then is there anywhere to veiw whats in the tentative agreement? i understand tentative means not finalized but im just trying to get more information.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2013/01/06/nhl_nhlpa_agree_on_tentative_cba_deal/

#203 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Some time ago I read this article about where Rick Bowness plans to play Garrison, it's the left side. He won't be on the right side.
Bowness plans to move either Bieksa or Edler to the right side.

There is no doubt Edler will be re-signed. Ballard will be gone before end of next season, either thru buyout or if MG can pull it off, via trade.

Bieksa has always played the right side at even-strength.

I hope they don't use Edler on the right side as he has looked lost at times playing the right side in the past.

#204 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Wooohooo! Best news to wake up to ever!

Can't wait to hear when training camp starts so we can finally start wasting our time debating the finer details of things that really matter like lineups and trades. :lol:
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#205 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Posted Image

307mg00.jpg

#206 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

They were saying a 1-game preseason

Source?

307mg00.jpg

#207 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Edit: Sorry, it's 2013. Never mind.

16 hours of bargaining, ending on 1/6/ 12 with the season possibly starting on Jan. 19

It's the Canucks' Season.

Edit: Sorry, it's 2013. Never mind.

Edited by Where's Wellwood, 06 January 2013 - 11:09 AM.

14diqh3.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
https://imgflip.com/i/dyukl

#208 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Source?

Sportsnet at around 4:30 AM

#209 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Luongo is already trending on twitter. :lol:

307mg00.jpg

#210 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

16 hours of bargaining, ending on 1/6/ 12 with the season possibly starting on Jan. 19

It's the Canucks' Season.

It's 2013, bud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.