The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tentative Agreement Reached.

Looks like this is our final year to try and win it all then. We're currently sitting at around 67 million in cap hit and can spend up to 70M this season alone. Next season it drops to 64...

Basically we get one chance with this full squad (including Edler and Garrison) before we'll have to cut down big time on the big contracts. Edler is very unlikely to re-sign here unless we can lose Luongo and Ballard for cheap prospects in return. We'll also have to try and re-sign some big names like Malhotra, Higgins, Raymond, Lapierre and Tanev who will, on the whole, hopefully even out.

The Canucks are probably still the team with the best chance to win a Cup right now, but this looks like it's it - our final season where this window is open. It's really now or never.

Looks like this is our final year to try and win it all then. We're currently sitting at around 67 million in cap hit and can spend up to 70M this season alone. Next season it drops to 64...

Basically we get one chance with this full squad (including Edler and Garrison) before we'll have to cut down big time on the big contracts. Edler is very unlikely to re-sign here unless we can lose Luongo and Ballard for cheap prospects in return. We'll also have to try and re-sign some big names like Malhotra, Higgins, Raymond, Lapierre and Tanev who will, on the whole, hopefully even out.

The Canucks are probably still the team with the best chance to win a Cup right now, but this looks like it's it - our final season where this window is open. It's really now or never.

Edler is not going anywhere. He wasn't going anywhere if cap was $60 mill which I always maintained it wouldn't be and that it would end up around $63 mill.

With Cap at same level as last year $64 mill, Edler will be signed. Not much needs to change. Malhotra will resign for $1 mill, Raymond will walk replaced by Jensen so saving of $1 mill and go down the line.

Ballard will be gone, with the arrival of Garrison Ballard was pbbly gone anyways. Idon't think Ballard would have made it past the trade deadline this year lockout or no lockout.

Lu or Schneider will be gone depending on the cap recapture rule, BTW haven't heard anything on this, anyone have update on cap recapture??

The rule was if bought out player gets 2/3 of his salary. Ballard makes $4.2 mill with 2 years remaining on his contract. He will get $2.6 mill per year ($5.2 total) if bought out. Ballard only needs to sign for $1.4 mill to break even.

I haven no doubt Ballard could get more than $1.4 mill on open market with salary cap at the same level as last year $64.3 mill.

No words express how happy I am now that hockey is back

Was up at 3AM procrastinating, go onto NHL.com expecting disappointment, then booooom - AGREEMENT REACHED.

Thought it was all a dream, I had given up hope when we got into 2013

HOCKEY's BACK !!!!!

Look forward to watching Canuck games and cheering for the Nucks and watching CanucksHD if I miss a game and waving my towel and supporting the players

Believe in bluuuuuuuuuue!!!!

EDIT: maybe, just maybe i'll unretire from CDC and return. But that's a huge maybe.

He would be owed $5.6M (2/3 of $8.4M remaining on contract). You're assuming he gets a 2 year contract. Do you think a 7-point dman would get a 2-year contract? Likely not.

Also, with most big market teams strapped for cap space (thus the buyouts) and most small market teams looking for bargains, odds are he'll sign for well under his current paycheque. Probably like a 1-year, $1M deal ala Raffi Torres, Manny Malhotra, etc. A "give me a chance and I'll prove I can get my game back" contract.

Archived