The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Contract in New CBA

KmaksNucks

Impossible how? We have up to two buyouts that won't count against the cap.

We have $55.4M committed to 13 players next season (including Ballard and Luongo). Buyout Ballard and that's $51.2M. I'm pretty sure they can commit to Edler with $13M in cap space to sign 11 guys with only bottom 6, bottom pair, and depth players to sign/re-sign.

We have $55.4M committed to 13 players next season (including Ballard and Luongo). Buyout Ballard and that's $51.2M. I'm pretty sure they can commit to Edler with $13M in cap space to sign 11 guys with only bottom 6, bottom pair, and depth players to sign/re-sign.

A decent pick is probably a stretch for Ballard at this point. At best, with a solid season (~20 points in 48-52 games), we may be able to land a late first or a decent prospect, but I doubt that happens with AV behind the bench.

so with our inability to score in the playoffs last year and the scf the previous year.. we are going to commit the cap space to Edler and bottom players/depth players? shouldn't our bigger concern be finding secondary scoring that doesn't really exist on this team? who knows if kesler will ever be close to a 100% again..

edler gets 6

trade lu for weiss (rumored that it would be done if van didnt want a prospect)

buy out ballard, manny gone raymond gone now cap compliant for this year and next

Sedin Sedin Burr

jensens Kesler Booth

Hansen Weiss Higgins

Volpatti Lappy kassian

Hammy Bieksa

Eddie Garrison

Tanev Corrado

Schneids

64.3 million is definitely doable, better than 60m than it was in the late CBA negotiations.

I believe Ian Esplen had an interesting idea of using the buyout on players and then resigning them to a lower salary / cap hit.

They make more than they would throughout the normal contract and the team is penalty free and gets them at their more suitable cap hit.

To me this is perfect for Ballard, we resign him to 1.5m to 2m for a short term years and then we have a great 3rd pairing defense that is getting paid what he should.

Next year also Malhotra / Raymonds 2m+ contracts are over too, which frees up cap.

Archived