The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Contract in New CBA

KmaksNucks

I didn't say there won't be any buyouts. And even though every player has a value, not every team will be willing to pay. With that said, how on earth will there be no teams giving up even a 7th round pick for Luongo. He is one of the best goalies in the world, and people are suggesting to just buyout his contract as if he's Wade Redden? Are you saying there's NO team on Luongo's list that would offer up a mere 7th round pick? Come on!

What i am saying ts that out of the teams that are interested, they might not want to give up the assets that MG wants in return. And some teams might want him but not his salary. At the end of the day (or year) if no deal can be made then what are the options? And Lui is driving the bus here... if he doesn't like any options and refuses to waive, Canucks then buy him out and he can sign wherever he pleases to sign.

I'm not sure why the owners would push for this buyout clause then. Other than older players with long expensive contracts, who else would it be for? Because i hear what you are saying, but even Scott Gomez could be traded for a pick... or even Wade Redden could be traded for a pick in theory. I see a lot of people mentioning Ballard and Raymond as candidates... but i think players like that would be easy to flog if the Nucks wanted them gone.

64.3 million is definitely doable, better than 60m than it was in the late CBA negotiations.

I believe Ian Esplen had an interesting idea of using the buyout on players and then resigning them to a lower salary / cap hit.

They make more than they would throughout the normal contract and the team is penalty free and gets them at their more suitable cap hit.

To me this is perfect for Ballard, we resign him to 1.5m to 2m for a short term years and then we have a great 3rd pairing defense that is getting paid what he should.

Next year also Malhotra / Raymonds 2m+ contracts are over too, which frees up cap.

You guys are forgetting Luongo's huge ego.

If he doesn't want to go to a team, whatever. Bench him, see how much his ego can take sitting on a bench for half the season. He's going to accept a trade to wherever eventually, his ego can only handle so much. (which is barely anything)

Every story in the media involving buyouts and potential players for buyout the picture in the headline features Luongo sitting on the bench with his ball cap on and a blank look on his face.

I imagine he will be traded for something but its not completely out of the question. Especially if he continues to be outplayed by CS.

If it comes down to Eddy or a disgruntled egotistic backup I'm sure he will buy the greaser out.

Every story in the media involving buyouts and potential players for buyout the picture in the headline features Luongo sitting on the bench with his ball cap on and a blank look on his face.

I imagine he will be traded for something but its not completely out of the question. Especially if he continues to be outplayed by CS.

If it comes down to Eddy or a disgruntled egotistic backup I'm sure he will buy the greaser out.

Archived