50 replies to this topic

#31 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,865 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ballard and Raymond to Edmonton for a 3rd round pick and Colten Teubert.

And then everyone is happy. ;)
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#32 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Ballard and Raymond to Edmonton for a 3rd round pick and Colten Teubert.

And then everyone is happy. ;)

I'd love that.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#33 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

64.3 CAP is about right for the 13-14 Canucks. Just buying out Ballard gives us mucho flexibility, including retaining Luango (doubtful), and signing Edler. Only concern is that we may not be able to keep Higgins since, were it not for the infection he would have scored around 20G 50P, and if he keeps pace, he must be rated at around 3.5-4 million. Of course, a Lou trade makes all cap problems dissapear.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alex Burows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alex Edler ($5.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,736,944

Doubtfull that Lapierre will merit much of a raise.

Corrado is a longshot for next season, but that salary makes him pretty attractive, plus I get the sense from MG interviews that he is poised to jump ahead of Connauton and Sauve, who haven't really shown much at the farm.

#34 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,831 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think the new CBA is very advantageous to the Canucks.

Two buyouts without cap - the opposite of what the Burke's were hoping for.

The cap next year at 64.3 is 4.3 more than speculated.

Keeping Luongo until year's end is more viable - moving him for good value is easier imo.

#35 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

The fact that people are suggesting we buy out the second best goalie in the league makes me want to puke. Ungrateful Vancouver fans...

I really hope Gillis isn't as mentally challenged as the people on this forum
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my book. Go Canucks Go!
Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#36 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

The fact that people are suggesting we buy out the second best goalie in the league makes me want to puke. Ungrateful Vancouver fans...

I really hope Gillis isn't as mentally challenged as the people on this forum

The reality is that it may happen. If Lui doesn't accept a team who is looking at him and no other teams are interested in him that Lui will waive his ntc to go to... might be the only option left.

#37 Shekers

Shekers

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Buyout one of your biggest asset in the organization...are you freaking kidding me. Every player has a value. If you're buying him out, you lose that value for NOTHING. It's not as if we're screwed if Lu stays on our roster. There's enough wiggle room.

#38 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Buyout one of your biggest asset in the organization...are you freaking kidding me. Every player has a value. If you're buying him out, you lose that value for NOTHING. It's not as if we're screwed if Lu stays on our roster. There's enough wiggle room.

So league wide you think there will be no buyouts? Because every player has a value? Can you really see having that much cap hit as a backup goaltender... something is going to happen either by trade or buyout.

#39 Shekers

Shekers

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

So league wide you think there will be no buyouts? Because every player has a value? Can you really see having that much cap hit as a backup goaltender... something is going to happen either by trade or buyout.

I didn't say there won't be any buyouts. And even though every player has a value, not every team will be willing to pay. With that said, how on earth will there be no teams giving up even a 7th round pick for Luongo. He is one of the best goalies in the world, and people are suggesting to just buyout his contract as if he's Wade Redden? Are you saying there's NO team on Luongo's list that would offer up a mere 7th round pick? Come on!

#40 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

What i am saying ts that out of the teams that are interested, they might not want to give up the assets that MG wants in return. And some teams might want him but not his salary. At the end of the day (or year) if no deal can be made then what are the options? And Lui is driving the bus here... if he doesn't like any options and refuses to waive, Canucks then buy him out and he can sign wherever he pleases to sign.

#41 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,831 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

I didn't say there won't be any buyouts. And even though every player has a value, not every team will be willing to pay. With that said, how on earth will there be no teams giving up even a 7th round pick for Luongo. He is one of the best goalies in the world, and people are suggesting to just buyout his contract as if he's Wade Redden? Are you saying there's NO team on Luongo's list that would offer up a mere 7th round pick? Come on!

Yeah it's ridiculous to talk Luongo and buyout in the same sentence.. But hey, it's CDC - there's a thread about buying out Kesler as well muahaha.

There may be a few buyouts - Gomez, Lecavalier, Bouwmeester...these guys would be my best bets.

#42 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Does anyone know if we can spend those two buyouts anytime we want, or just this off season.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#43 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

What i am saying ts that out of the teams that are interested, they might not want to give up the assets that MG wants in return. And some teams might want him but not his salary. At the end of the day (or year) if no deal can be made then what are the options? And Lui is driving the bus here... if he doesn't like any options and refuses to waive, Canucks then buy him out and he can sign wherever he pleases to sign.

Well, we would definitely make a trade for something. If it comes down to it, we would easily make a trade for whatever the other GM offers instead of a buyout.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#44 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm not sure why the owners would push for this buyout clause then. Other than older players with long expensive contracts, who else would it be for? Because i hear what you are saying, but even Scott Gomez could be traded for a pick... or even Wade Redden could be traded for a pick in theory. I see a lot of people mentioning Ballard and Raymond as candidates... but i think players like that would be easy to flog if the Nucks wanted them gone.

#45 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

64.3 million is definitely doable, better than 60m than it was in the late CBA negotiations.
I believe Ian Esplen had an interesting idea of using the buyout on players and then resigning them to a lower salary / cap hit.
They make more than they would throughout the normal contract and the team is penalty free and gets them at their more suitable cap hit.
To me this is perfect for Ballard, we resign him to 1.5m to 2m for a short term years and then we have a great 3rd pairing defense that is getting paid what he should.
Next year also Malhotra / Raymonds 2m+ contracts are over too, which frees up cap.

I think they should do it for both Lu and Ballard, imo hahaha.
Since they already get their salary, they should just resign for league minimum and that will make the team waay under!
It's a brilliant idea.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#46 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

You guys are forgetting Luongo's huge ego.

If he doesn't want to go to a team, whatever. Bench him, see how much his ego can take sitting on a bench for half the season. He's going to accept a trade to wherever eventually, his ego can only handle so much. (which is barely anything)

Posted Image

#47 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

There's already a thread. Please stick to existing threads.

You have made a thread for every possible imaginable topic.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#48 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Well, we would definitely make a trade for something. If it comes down to it, we would easily make a trade for whatever the other GM offers instead of a buyout.

Every story in the media involving buyouts and potential players for buyout the picture in the headline features Luongo sitting on the bench with his ball cap on and a blank look on his face.

I imagine he will be traded for something but its not completely out of the question. Especially if he continues to be outplayed by CS.
If it comes down to Eddy or a disgruntled egotistic backup I'm sure he will buy the greaser out.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#49 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Every story in the media involving buyouts and potential players for buyout the picture in the headline features Luongo sitting on the bench with his ball cap on and a blank look on his face.

I imagine he will be traded for something but its not completely out of the question. Especially if he continues to be outplayed by CS.
If it comes down to Eddy or a disgruntled egotistic backup I'm sure he will buy the greaser out.

And i think this is all a moot point as who doesn't believe that Burke isn't going to make the big splash and trade for Lui. If the Leafs miss the playoffs again you gotta figure that Burke is out of a job so it makes sense that he goes after a goalie that gives them a chance instead of counting on rookies to try and goaltend like previous seasons.

#50 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm sure a trade would be made long before it got to a point where MG even thought about buying Lu out.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#51 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hammer, isn't really "elite" per say. He's awesome and dependable, but used for more of a shutdown role only.
The likes of Neidermeyer, Lidstrom, Keith, Weber, Suter, etc etc are elite because they are dependable and have that flair to put up points

Not comparing Hammer to the likes of Weber etc. But IMO he is more valuable to the team then Edler and is an all around better defenseman then Edler.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.