The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

7thMan

Nope, not boycotting hockey, that is ridiculous, also: anyone who posted in the thread saying they were boycotting the NHL has already broken their word as they are on CDC, part of the NHL.COM online group..which features advertising, that pays the team and the league by how many viewers it has...soooooo by posting on cdc, part of nhl.com you are directly contributing money to the team and the league even by posting how you will not contribute one cent.

So lets drop the pretend anger and embrace the real happy ending which is that we have NHL hockey back and more or less guaranteed until 2020!

The weird thing is if you're able to boycott the league/the team you cheer for are you really a fan in the first place? Yes, they were locked out and you couldnt watch the games for 2 months... but its back now, and it's always gonna be the same competitive game with the greatest players in the world. Going to a live game is one of the best forms of entertainment out there, yes it may be pricey but hey what is there better to do then watching your favourite team play with 18,000 other people yelling and screaming beside you. All I have to say is I will be attending all the Canucks games in Edmonton, and I will be watching every single game on Center Ice !!!

Go Canucks :canucks::towel:

Nope, not boycotting hockey, that is ridiculous, also: anyone who posted in the thread saying they were boycotting the NHL has already broken their word as they are on CDC, part of the NHL.COM online group..which features advertising, that pays the team and the league by how many viewers it has...soooooo by posting on cdc, part of nhl.com you are directly contributing money to the team and the league even by posting how you will not contribute one cent.

So lets drop the pretend anger and embrace the real happy ending which is that we have NHL hockey back and more or less guaranteed until 2020!

They didn't treat the fans like anything. It wasn't about the fans nor did it cost us anything. It was a labour dispute and that is all. When two sides are too far apart in negotiations the only way to settle it is by forcing the other side through a work stoppage.That's life.

If you are a true NHL fan then you are actually punishing yourself more than the Canucks. And if you think costing the league money will make it so they never do this again you're wrong. When the CBA ends if teams are losing money there will be yet another lockout to again reduce the players share of the pie.

Two questions:

#1 - Did the lockout cost you your job?

#2 - Did you sit in front of your TV on what should have been game nights staring at a blank screen for 3 hours?

If your answer to both of those questions is no, then the lockout had no actual effect on your life at all and you're crying for no reason.

I am not going back as if nothing happened. They will be getting aproximately 40% less money from me via my season tickets. I didn't have any urge to buy merchandise because my favourite sport wasn't on. I didn't buy food, beer, or anything at games (that I didn't go to). They have lost. I get the point - I'm pissed, you screwed me, and the only way I have to show my displeasure is by screwing you out of my money. I just don't get the logic of purposefully denying yourself a product that you would otherwise partake in, just to screw a company that doesn't care. I would TOTALLY understand if the tone of the posts were, 'Meh, I've kinda lost interest...I might be back, might not.'. But that's not the case. We ARE interested, and the boycotters are not saying that they no longer enjoy hockey/Canucks, they are saying that despite the fact that they enjoy it, and despite the fact that they would otherwise spend their dollars on it, they will not.This NEVER works because very few of us have the nerve to see that through, so it ends up being a very small group of idiots who become Debbie Downers, and the rest come back with cash in hand.

I never said that. I said in this particular case it was childish and stupid.

It plugged the circumvention hole left open in the previous CBA with contract limits. It reduced the cap. It made revenue a 50/50 split. Plus it increased revenue sharing. Have you not paid any attention?

In this context yes. You naively believe there's no need for rules or laws, instead people will simply "do the right thing". Unfortunately in the real world people have a tendancy to act in their own interests instead unless there's something in place that deters it.

See first answer.

Opinion: a personal view, attitude, or appraisal

My personal view is: boycotting the NHL over something that had no real negative effect on your life is childish and stupid.

My attitude is: no harm, no foul. The lockout had no real negative effect on my life. In fact it saved me money. Why would I be angry about them saving me money? It wasn't an essential service that was denied us after all.

My appraisal is: There were serious problems from the previous CBA that needed to be fixed. I fully expected the lockout and understood why it had to happen.

It seems I was in fact expressing my opinion.

If the NHL is really sincerely sorry and not just lip service , they would offer NHL Center Ice free this season.

The NHL needs to win back fans and that would be a gesture that covers the whole leagues fans.

If not then it's just a money grabbing greedy organization , not worthy of fan support.

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

I would say no. I don't buy much anyways. Already have a jersey, toque and drink glasses. Plus I'm cheap.

I will most likely get Centre Ice. I have to so I can watch the Canucks. It would be hypocritical of me not to.

#dontbuystuff

Are you fed up with overpaid players? #dontbuystuff

Are you sick of subsidizing crappy US markets? #dontbuystuff

Do you want to give back to local establishments? #dontbuystuff

Do you want to help friends in the service industry who were broke this Christmas? #dontbuystuff

It's real simple people. We can easily get back at them while going to games and watching on TV. Just DON'T BUY STUFF.

No more overpriced beers.

No more overpriced parking.

No more overpriced programs.

No more alternate away reversible 3rd jerseys.

#dontbuystuff

Remember, it is your money. Make them play for you and #dontbuystuff #nhl #hrr

Of course they don't. However I am doing my part and have already sold 2/3 of the season at prices that are lower than you get get on ticketmaster. That's 48 purchases at higher prices for single game tickets that won't be happening as a result.

Your logic fails big time. Someone purchasing your season tickets for a reduced price does NOT mean the Canucks will have empty seats.

The results of your attempt to undercut ticket master results as follows.

Ticket master, no effect.

Canucks, no effect.

Buyer, slightly better price

Seller (you). Less money, than you could have sold for.

Except these are all fans that would be buying a ticket at full price were it not for me.

Ticketmaster looses the commission.

The canucks get undercut as I sell to their potential customers at a lower prices.

Buyers get the same deal I get.

I am even money wise. You count all the money getting there or drinking 8 dollar beers and I am way, waaaaaaaaaay ahead.

My logic is undeniable.

Archived