The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

7thMan

Everyone knew the people posting almost daily at TSN that they were never, ever getting back together with the NHL were as full of empty platitudes as Taylor Swift is. That, however, does not mean that there is not a way for fans to show our displeasure in a real way without depriving ourselves even more of what we were all jonesing for to begin with. If people choose not to, that's up to them. But it's unfair to be dismissive or disrespectful of those of us who do feel strongly enough to put our money where our mouth is.

I know in my house we have not spent a penny on anything (except the already pre-ordered EA Sports game) NHL or Canucks related. And we spend a lot on Canucks crap every year. In fact, we've already donated hundreds of dollars to the Canadian Red Cross that we would have spent already on Canucks gear. We've told our family and friends we won't accept any gifts with NHL or Canucks logos (even though that's usually people's go-to gift idea) through this entire season. We've never said we wouldn't be watching, but you better believe our resolve to keep the money we would have spent on merchandise in our pockets this season is as strong as ever! If enough fans share our "punish them, not ourselves" philosophy I absolutely think the NHL and PA will feel it and hopefully think twice before going into another extended labour dispute. And if not, at least we tried and that's more than some can say.

I think it's reasonable to expect that you could boycott merchandise, but I doubt that those that are heartbroken over this mess could boycott watching the actual games.

I can't afford much merchandise, but I do share in a pair of half season tickets, and I am anxious to attend my first game.

Well let me tell you what this season's ticket holder is doing.

I am selling all my tickets. All of them. At cost. So I will be undercutting the Canucks since I get the tickets for cheaper than they sell them as at single game prices. (50 bucks a ticket in row 3 of the upper bowl will be easy to sell them all).

When the playoffs come if I can line up people to buy my tickets I will give them the chance but if no one does I am declining them this year.

I will still watch the games on TV but that doesn't cost me anything as i would have cable even if hockey didn't exist.

Ergo I will get my protest cake and eat it too.

Undercutting both the players and owners by taking away customers that would pay full price is good enough for me.

And if you think I am pissed you should see the guy I get the tickets with. He is seriously considering not renewing next year.

Sure there's more people in line but it might turn out that it's their own foolish decision to keep patronizing someone that doesn't give a rat's ass in return. There better be some serious bouquets thrown the direction of ticket holders let's just say that.

I am selling all my tickets. All of them. At cost. So I will be undercutting the Canucks since I get the tickets for cheaper than they sell them as at single game prices. (50 bucks a ticket in row 3 of the upper bowl will be easy to sell them all).

When the playoffs come if I can line up people to buy my tickets I will give them the chance but if no one does I am declining them this year.

I will still watch the games on TV but that doesn't cost me anything as i would have cable even if hockey didn't exist.

Ergo I will get my protest cake and eat it too.

Undercutting both the players and owners by taking away customers that would pay full price is good enough for me.

And if you think I am pissed you should see the guy I get the tickets with. He is seriously considering not renewing next year.

Sure there's more people in line but it might turn out that it's their own foolish decision to keep patronizing someone that doesn't give a rat's ass in return. There better be some serious bouquets thrown the direction of ticket holders let's just say that.

not discrediting or try to goad you into an arguement whatsoever......but what would make you feel better as an STH. I too am a season ticket holder (in a different market), and I have been very pleased with my treatment from ownership thus far. Free DVD's, books, and trinkets have been a constant from my ownership group. I have no doubt they will make me some sort of peace offering/token of appreciation for my loyalty.

What type of "token" are you looking for? Again...not arguing, simply asking from one STH to another STH,....what does ownership do to make you feel better about renewing your tickets?

Why should I punish myself for THEIR behaviour?

The people that say they will boycott watching, even on TV, are either faux hockey fans, or they are over-the-top stupid.

So you will be denying yourself your favorite sport and meanwhile those players and owners will continue to rake in millions and live the good life. Your little monk-like self flagellation will go unnoticed and be irrelevant.

And the very same people that crowed the about the poor support workers and pubs suffering are now the same people that want to make those workers suffer for the rest of the season. Nice.

not discrediting or try to goad you into an arguement whatsoever......but what would make you feel better as an STH. I too am a season ticket holder (in a different market), and I have been very pleased with my treatment from ownership thus far. Free DVD's, books, and trinkets have been a constant from my ownership group. I have no doubt they will make me some sort of peace offering/token of appreciation for my loyalty.

What type of "token" are you looking for? Again...not arguing, simply asking from one STH to another STH,....what does ownership do to make you feel better about renewing your tickets?

Why should I punish myself for THEIR behaviour?

The people that say they will boycott watching, even on TV, are either faux hockey fans, or they are over-the-top stupid.

So you will be denying yourself your favorite sport and meanwhile those players and owners will continue to rake in millions and live the good life. Your little monk-like self flagellation will go unnoticed and be irrelevant.

And the very same people that crowed the about the poor support workers and pubs suffering are now the same people that want to make those workers suffer for the rest of the season. Nice.

Won't be buying any merchandise whatsoever.

Won't patronize any sponser of the NHL (am stuck in a Rogers cellular contract but will not renew with them under any circumstances)

Won't buy any tickets to a game

Won't re-subscribe to cable and will stream games online (making sure not to purchase any product advertised on the commercials)

This is not merely for this season; I will continue in this manner until all of the unprofessional idiots who organized this lockout are fired.

Won't be buying any merchandise whatsoever.

Won't patronize any sponser of the NHL (am stuck in a Rogers cellular contract but will not renew with them under any circumstances)

Won't buy any tickets to a game

Won't re-subscribe to cable and will stream games online (making sure not to purchase any product advertised on the commercials)

This is not merely for this season; I will continue in this manner until all of the unprofessional idiots who organized this lockout are fired.

Since players cost less now cheaper tickets would be a good start.

Maybe not doable in your market but here we have some of the highest ticket prices in the league. A ten to twenty percent price reduction would be a good start.

And for the TV crowd free NHL centre ice would be good too. You can get the NBA package for free in this market so there's no reason the NHL couldn't do the same here.

as ive said before, i am excited for nhl to return because its the best caliber of hockey.

i will watch the games on tv, but I will not be going to any games for the next 5 years or buying any canucks/nhl merch.

**will go see the pavel bure game if that happens

Archived