The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

7thMan

Well, Im thinking since the NHL owes its existence to the fans then the least they can do is start the season on time. I dont think its too much to ask in return for our committment to them.

I would be a lot more understanding if the league had excusable financial problems, but they boasted record revenues. Lack of money was not the problem, it was much moreso incompetence. Im proposing that we give them the incentive to run their league competently from now on.

Does other people's choice of how to spend their money:

#1 - Effect you in the slightest?

#2 - Alter what you can do with yours?

If your answer to both of those questions is no, then other people's decision to not give the NHL any of our money this season has no actual effect on your life at all and you're worrying about it for no reason.

There is absolutely a way for fans to punish them without punishing ourselves and that's what many hope to accomplish by choosing not buying merchandise. We can easily live without more logo'ed stuff, but that's a big part of their bottom line. We still get our hockey, but they get a lot less revenue.

Maybe you're right and any attempt at a boycott will fail to prevent another lockout in the future, but at least we care enough to try and that's more than some people can say.

No to both questions. I'm simply pointing out the stupidity of it. As I said, if the lockout had no actual effect on your life (as in it didn't actually cost you anything) why are you having this temper tantrum? Labour disputes happen. I understand the reason for the lockout and it had to be done. I had no problem at all finding other forms of entertainment to occupy myself in the meantime. I figure the lockout actually saved me from $500 to $800 at this point (the games I would have been to) and now I'll now happily go back to business as usual following my favorite sport. You go ahead and enjoy your tantrum.

I would have had they cancelled the season. But now that they'll play and we don't have to suffer the doldrums of a 10 month season...this maybe the best season ever, We'll have to see if this shortened season helps older clubs achieve more success.

You think my message obviously designed to mimic your own message means I was having a temper tantrum? *lol*

If you understand the reason for the lockout, you may be alone. Those of us who followed it closely and were very informed on everything going on, including many sports writers, are unsure of the reasons.

Either way, I was simply noting the pointlessness of telling people what they should or should not do with their own money. If people want to punish the NHL by not giving them any money this season that's their right to do so and doesn't effect you any more than you say the lockout effected fans.

If the NHL is really sincerely sorry and not just lip service , they would offer NHL Center Ice free this season.

The NHL needs to win back fans and that would be a gesture that covers the whole leagues fans.

If not then it's just a money grabbing greedy organization , not worthy of fan support.

I find it hard to believe there is anybody out there that doesn't understand why the lockout occured. Head in the sand maybe? Half the teams losing money. Lifetime contracts to circumvent the cap. Player contracts once again getting out of control. Teams unable to keep their talent or compete. Any of these ringing a bell? The CBA needed to be fixed.

They didn't treat the fans like anything. It wasn't about the fans nor did it cost us anything. It was a labour dispute and that is all. When two sides are too far apart in negotiations the only way to settle it is by forcing the other side through a work stoppage.That's life.

If you are a true NHL fan then you are actually punishing yourself more than the Canucks. And if you think costing the league money will make it so they never do this again you're wrong. When the CBA ends if teams are losing money there will be yet another lockout to again reduce the players share of the pie.

Two questions:

#1 - Did the lockout cost you your job?

#2 - Did you sit in front of your TV on what should have been game nights staring at a blank screen for 3 hours?

If your answer to both of those questions is no, then the lockout had no actual effect on your life at all and you're crying for no reason.

You really should dial back on the sarcasm and do a little reading instead. The now-closed CBA negotiations thread is a good place to start as it contains links upon links for articles looking at the CBA in depth, including all of the ways it absolutely fails to address the needs of poor teams who could be spending as much as they were last season as soon as the first full season back thanks to revenue growth at the projected level and changes to the cap system to disallow bonuses in reaching the floor.

Where does this word 'punish' keep coming from? Honestly, I'm trying to track it back in this thread. It seems to stem from someone on the front page saying they are NOT going to punish themselves, but still want to make their voice heard. And of course people pile on and it mutates.

F'ing Internet. It's not just black and white. We can still love this league and this sport, while trying to do whatever we can to ascertain that next time around, there is no work stoppage.

I'm broke most of the time anyway, so, I don't usually buy much merch or Center Ice or any of that. But, I will be watching games on TV and cheering on the Canucks. Not sure how not watching games on TV is any kind of protest, unless Gary Bettman is sitting in your living room, in which case you should just smack him upside the head.

I'm broke most of the time anyway, so, I don't usually buy much merch or Center Ice or any of that. But, I will be watching games on TV and cheering on the Canucks. Not sure how not watching games on TV is any kind of protest, unless Gary Bettman is sitting in your living room, in which case you should just smack him upside the head.

Archived