The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

7thMan

Won't be paying to go to games that's for sure. But I'll definitely be watching at home and hitting up the local restaurants and sports bars. They deserve the support.

To boycott the NHL all together would be more detrimental to me than to them. It's the best quality of hockey in the world, so why would I not watch it?

I don't know about these people who piss and moan about the lockout be me, I'm a hockey fan, I love the game, I love playing it, I love watching it and no one could pay me enough to stop watching it. News flash the NHL is corrupt, so is the government I don't see you protesting them.

Holy crap..people can be so overdramatic. "Wah Wah Wah,the NHL doesnt care about me.." Go hug your mothers,Nike don't care about you,Sony dont care about you, McDonalds dont give a crap about you either.As a matter of fact, no corporation gives a flying frack about any of us.Dont get my wrong, you're entitled to your opinion, but all these losers whining that the NHL don't love them,get the frack over it,because no one else does,either.

After 113 hockey-less days and having gone collectively through all of the stages of grief, we know that the season will start in a couple of weeks and the greedy players have come to an agreement with the greedier owners. But before we have all accepted the fate of the season and gone through a stage of depression, there was a time when most fans were angry and felt powerless. There were many proposed ways to protest the lockout, many of which were rash and unrealistic, but others were possible.

The most practical and widespread form of protest, was the idea that we would boycott the league in some form. As it turns out, however, it's hard to boycott a business that is already withholding its product from you. Now, for the first time since this lockout began, the fans have chance to actually get revenge on the league

So, do you see a point in trying to stick it to The Man? If so, how will you be boycotting the NHL?

I wanted to go to a game this year but won't and that'll be the extent of my displeasure with the lockout. I went through all the effort of watching the crappy streamed AHL games and can't wait to be able to watch HD canucks on my tv again. I'll probably not buy any merchandise unless the canucks make a deep playoff run.

If teachers go on strike again will you boycot sending your kids to school when they return to work? If there is another beer strike will you boycott drinking beer when they return to work? How about an airline strike, will you never fly again?

People need to understand that the NHL is in fact a business, not a right. Any business that invloves a union will face labor disputes. Such is life. Welcome to the real world. The crybabies can curl up and suck their thumbs while the rest of us enjoy our favorite sport.

Game on....drop the puck!

I am so sick of this bad attitude that customers don't matter. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Let me turn this around on you. Business don't have entitlements to function. Welcome to the real world. No customers, no income, no business. Some businesses thrive. Some die. Stop listening to your customers they will go elsewhere.

Tick them off enough, they will find other companies to go to. There's a lot of stores I won't buy from. Will that make a huge difference? Maybe short term no. But long term it will.

The NHL formed from the ashes of the NHA. Some of the teams are from the WHA era. In the NFL there's a lot of teams from the merger from the NFL and AFL. The NHL if it want's to make good money has to stop treating it's customers like crap.

I say do what you want. You've got season's tickets? Fine. You buy merchandise, also fine. I'm not going to a game, or buying merchandise this year. That's my way of letting my voice be heard.

The first wrong assumption is that individuals don't matter. They do.

Individuals, lead to small groups. Small groups lead to larger groups. Larger groups turn into a majority. If enough people get sick of the NHL, they will turn to other pursuits. Look at Boxing. Boxing used to be a major sport in North America. You would have reporters in the newspapers and TV following it. There was fights on TV every weekend. Now you hardly hear anyone talk about it. I'm sure it's making a fraction of the revenue it used to make. Why did this happen? The promoters were too busy wanting to make money, instead of providing good matches, and keeping the sport going. I don't want to see the NHL turn into boxing. It's already pretty much not relevant in the US. Canadians are what's providing majority of the revenue.

Comparing the strike to teachers? Apples and oranges. We're not talking about classroom sizes, or education. We're talking two sides fighting over how much of the pie they get. Or more like two kids fighting in a sandbox.

End rant.

I'm not on FB but I'm totally on-board with the Just Drop It fan boycott, which according to Steve Chase (the campaign's starter), amounts to ten team games boycotted by each fan. I guess that means I'll be tuning in to the NHL when the Canucks eventually hit their 11th game.

I've spoken to quite a few people during the lookout and we all said that if the season starts we won't watch a single game.

That was before the news broke yesterday. Now we're all drooling in excitment for the NHL to get back on track.

I have always considerd myself some what of an idealist, I guess I was dead wrong...

Archived