232 replies to this topic

#121 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,218 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I said CLAIMS not are. That's ok I still missed you CDC. Good to be back.Edit: My bad I should've put claims in quotations in my original post.

sorry, i'm just not seeing the claim.

#122 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Sort of. I won't buy any memorabilia or anything with a logo on it, and i won't go to any games. Already turned down some tickets. I will however watch the games and be in my hockey pool.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#123 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Ordinarily at the start of the season, I'll be looking into getting tickets to catch a game; however, the excitement of the season has long since worn off so naturally the interest to go to a game is long gone so no I will not be attending any games, and to be honest this whole "lock out" tactic does not leave me a very good impression of the NHL. If I had a more favorable opinion of the league, then I would be more inclined to support them but at this time I don't. The NHL has alot of work to do to regain their integrity and the respect of its fans and sponsors, and players for that matter.

Edited by Mauii, 08 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#124 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

If i owned a sports bar i would have "Boycott" nights. Have the games on, but instead of going watch on TV and drink the beer here.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#125 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

My first reaction was to not watch on tv but a hockey fan would be hard pressed to do this.My only hope is the schedule dosen't conflict with the top BPL games or the top Spanish league games.Then I would have to miss the hockey.The lockout for me sent me back to the game I grew up watching and supporting.

#126 BlurTriX

BlurTriX

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

No, i'm excited that our game is back, and will support them 100%.

Untitled.png

#127 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

sorry, i'm just not seeing the claim.

You have to take off her panties first.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#128 Kevin-B

Kevin-B

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Can't say I'm boycotting but with a much shorter schedule,I don't see myself cruising up to Vancouver for a game this season and even if its prorated,I won't be ordering NHL Center Ice package this season. I've made the adjustments and have been attending more WHL games. However,I still get CBC down here in Washington and will be tuning in to HNIC and other games available on cable. Hopefully I can make up for it next season and attend a few games with the family.

#129 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

- Firstly the most hurt would be pub workers and the vendors and stadium workers. No fault but most affected.

As I said in my post earlier, I will still pay a visit to my preferred pub - I will simply not watch the game at home before going. The pub, its servers, and owner shouldn't suffer because of my disgruntlement towards the league.

As for the vendors and stadium workers, the arena will still be sold out night after night - they don't need my patronage.

As for the players, owners, and Bettman, screw them. They have taken 1.5 seasons of quality hockey from me since I became a fan. I lived without the NHL in the past; I can do it again.

#130 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I will be boycotting the NHL by watching 43 instead of 48 games.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#131 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

I don't understand the logic of a boycott.

'I'm mad that there wasn't hockey in October, November, December and half of January. Therefore, when you give me what I am so desperately missing, I will not partake in it and punish myself further.'

If the first indication that you, as a fan, were low down the priority list was the lockout then you need a reality check. This isn't bush league hockey where they have to beg for fans, this is the most competitive league, not just for the players but for the fans. The Canucks have a waiting list of many multiple years just for the privilege to buy season tickets at thousands a pair. If you boycott the games, you will not be missed by the team in this city.

So youre just going to forget about how the NHL has treated its fans like garbage and continue on like nothing happened? That seems so undignified to me.

I dont understand how you could do that. The fans do in fact have a say in this. Over the next few seasons, if enough of us refrain from buying merchandise or tickets to set them back a couple years, then they wont be able to do anything like this again. Look at what happened in the MLB after the 1994 strike, the fans made a statement and the league was forced to compromise.

If you choose to go back like nothing even happened then you are helping tp enable the NHL to do this again in the future if they wanted. You will have proven to them that there are no negative consequences to their actions. You will have proven to them that you dont care if you matter or not. It doesnt have to be that way.

#132 JAH

JAH

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

So youre just going to forget about how the NHL has treated its fans like garbage and continue on like nothing happened? That seems so undignified to me.

I dont understand how you could do that. The fans do in fact have a say in this. Over the next few seasons, if enough of us refrain from buying merchandise or tickets to set them back a couple years, then they wont be able to do anything like this again. Look at what happened in the MLB after the 1994 strike, the fans made a statement and the league was forced to compromise.

If you choose to go back like nothing even happened then you are helping tp enable the NHL to do this again in the future if they wanted. You will have proven to them that there are no negative consequences to their actions. You will have proven to them that you dont care if you matter or not. It doesnt have to be that way.

I am not going back as if nothing happened. They will be getting aproximately 40% less money from me via my season tickets. I didn't have any urge to buy merchandise because my favourite sport wasn't on. I didn't buy food, beer, or anything at games (that I didn't go to). They have lost. I get the point - I'm pissed, you screwed me, and the only way I have to show my displeasure is by screwing you out of my money. I just don't get the logic of purposefully denying yourself a product that you would otherwise partake in, just to screw a company that doesn't care. I would TOTALLY understand if the tone of the posts were, 'Meh, I've kinda lost interest...I might be back, might not.'. But that's not the case. We ARE interested, and the boycotters are not saying that they no longer enjoy hockey/Canucks, they are saying that despite the fact that they enjoy it, and despite the fact that they would otherwise spend their dollars on it, they will not.This NEVER works because very few of us have the nerve to see that through, so it ends up being a very small group of idiots who become Debbie Downers, and the rest come back with cash in hand.
'It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.' - Muhammad Ali

#133 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

They didn't treat the fans like anything. It wasn't about the fans nor did it cost us anything. It was a labour dispute and that is all. When two sides are too far apart in negotiations the only way to settle it is by forcing the other side through a work stoppage.That's life.

If you are a true NHL fan then you are actually punishing yourself more than the Canucks. And if you think costing the league money will make it so they never do this again you're wrong. When the CBA ends if teams are losing money there will be yet another lockout to again reduce the players share of the pie.

Two questions:

#1 - Did the lockout cost you your job?

#2 - Did you sit in front of your TV on what should have been game nights staring at a blank screen for 3 hours?

If your answer to both of those questions is no, then the lockout had no actual effect on your life at all and you're crying for no reason.
Posted Image

#134 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Rejecting an offer via voice mail in the middle of another side's press conference is ludicrous. Refusing to negotiate unless Fehr is not around is illegal according to labour law. Regardless, I expect more business professionalism out of the side that can reasonably be expected to have some. The players aren't expected to be good at negotiating; that's why they have agents do their contracts for them.

Extremely long labour stoppages should not be the first recourse whenever a CBA has expired.

Negotiations during a labour disruption are rarely pretty. Both sides at times behave badly as tempers flare. And they do flare.
Posted Image

#135 Dumb Nuck

Dumb Nuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I have tickets to the first game but I will boycott it, I booked a vacation to Vegas the day before they announced the lockout was over so I'll be in Vegas when they play their first game.

Although it will never happen it would be cool to see empty arenas for the first game.
There's always next year.

#136 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

And I'm sure they'll notice......

:lol:
Posted Image

#137 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,218 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

i'll be boycotting by not watching if a game happens to coincide with my daughter's birth.

#138 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I have tickets to the first game but I will boycott it, I booked a vacation to Vegas the day before they announced the lockout was over so I'll be in Vegas when they play their first game.

Although it will never happen it would be cool to see empty arenas for the first game.

I'll buy your tickets.

/=S=/

#139 Dumb Nuck

Dumb Nuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'll buy your tickets.

Sorry but I've never sold one of my tickets yet.

#140 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

You go ahead and do that.

Heck, take all your money, put it in a pile, and light it on fire for all I care. I will be doing the same thing with my opening night tickets.

Just a heads up: The Canucks don't actually care what you do with your tickets after you've paid for them. They already have your money.
Posted Image

#141 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Sorry but I've never sold one of my tickets yet.

I accept gifts with great pleasure and gratitidute. :)
Posted Image

#142 LordCanuck

LordCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I won't be attending games but that never happens anyways, Ill still be watching it all on tv. gotta get my drug of choice back. lol
Posted Imagekhalifawiz501

#143 jagori78

jagori78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Lol @ scoobydooby. For a guy who is boycotting the Canucks now, you sure seem to visit their website quite a bit. You've been visiting here several times a day since the lockout ended... I think I'm calling your bluff.

#144 Dumb Nuck

Dumb Nuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Just a heads up: The Canucks don't actually care what you do with your tickets after you've paid for them. They already have your money.

That's what I like about the idea of everyone boycotting the first game, not to hurt the NHL financially but if it happened league wide it would be a great statement that fans do matter.

Maybe something like everyone showing up topless to the first game would be more doable but it would take someone with more influence than an average fan to happen.

#145 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Nope. No boycott. Wore my green Kesler 17 T today.

Can't wait for puck drop on the 19th. That said, I found plenty of other things to fill my extra time... wife, music, soccer, friends, personal time, work...

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#146 Dumb Nuck

Dumb Nuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Nope. No boycott. Wore my green Kesler 17 T today.

Can't wait for puck drop on the 19th. That said, I found plenty of other things to fill my extra time... wife, music, soccer, friends, personal time, work...

Pffft, everyone has a Kesler jearsey, I have a Sundin jearsey and hardcore fans would have a Messier jearsey.

#147 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Pffft, everyone has a Kesler jearsey, I have a Sundin jearsey and hardcore fans would have a Messier jearsey.

Not a jersey, just a $30 T-shirt. I have a White 3rd jersey with #20 Lalonde on the back. How's that for hardcore, Mr. Pffft?

#148 Dumb Nuck

Dumb Nuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Not a jersey, just a $30 T-shirt. I have a White 3rd jersey with #20 Lalonde on the back. How's that for hardcore, Mr. Pffft?

Still not a hardcore fan, if you were it would have been worn out and thrown out long ago. Pfffffft.

#149 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Still not a hardcore fan, if you were it would have been worn out and thrown out long ago. Pfffffft.

Why would I throw out a year-old sweater, Mr. Pffft?

:blink:

#150 Dumb Nuck

Dumb Nuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Why would I throw out a year-old sweater, Mr. Pffft?

:blink:

My daughter wears my Kurtenbach 40th anniversary jersey as a nightgown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.