The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buyout. Is this possible... Buyout Kesler

nitti999

I'm more concerned that Kesler is starting to become injury prone. He plays a pretty reckless style of hockey and I hope it isn't starting to catch up with him. I hope he's just been unlucky and that's it.

The Canucks are pretty screwed if he starts getting injured frequently.

The agreed upon clause in the CBA is only that a buyout is possible without any cap penalty to the team

The loophole I am talking about is to buyout a player making big dough and signing him on a cheaper cap hit, thus the player makes more money, and the team has the same player at a reduced cap hit.

Calm down everyone. I see what the OP is saying. He/she is not necessarily saying that Kesler sucks so the Canucks should buy him out, rather he/she is inquiring about a potential cap circumventing loophole. Basically he/she is suggesting that the Canucks buy out Kesler, which means they'd still be paying him his $5 million per year salary but it wouldn't count against the cap, then sign him for league minimum, which would only be a cap hit of $800K (or whatever the new league minimum is).

The answer is no, though. The league would axe this in a second and penalize the Canucks heavily. It's kind of a clever idea though.

You haven't been allowed to do that since 2005. What makes you think they will remove that language from the CBA?

Moreover, a Player that has been bought out

under the Compliance Buyout provisions of this Agreement shall

be prohibited from rejoining the Prior Club that bought him out

(via re-signing, trade Assignment or otherwise) for the 2005-06

League Year.

Kesler may need to clean up his act, yes, but the guy is a Selke winner and a runner-up twice, and he has two 70+ point seasons under his belt, including a 41 goal season. He's on the level of Patrice Bergeron. In what world is the guy not worth $5 million?

Kesler may need to clean up his act, yes, but the guy is a Selke winner and a runner-up twice, and he has two 70+ point seasons under his belt, including a 41 goal season. He's on the level of Patrice Bergeron. In what world is the guy not worth $5 million?

Archived