The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will surprise us like Hodgson

The Dark Knight

I remember the WJC's before we drafted him, watching every american game, and thinking, man oh man if the canucks found a way to trade into the top 10 to get this guy.

This guy dominated when he had good players around him like it wasn't even funny.

Give him a chance with Booth and Higgins, he can skate like the wind and he's defensivly responsible

Schroeder's statline does not reflect his overall performance in the AHL this season. I've tuned into several Wolves games and it's always Schroeder who's controlling the play. Whenever he'd get going with some line-mates, be it Kassian, Rodin or even Sweatt, Arniel would shuffle the line for the next game and Schroeder would have to adapt to playing with players like Davies or a slumping Haydar.

I'm fully confident Schroeder can take the reigns and work with players like Booth and Higgins who actually know how to finish. Having Schroeder on the half wall on the 2nd powerplay (unlike the point where dumbass Arniel put him) would be awesome cause Schroeder's vision and playmaking are his best attributes.

The biggest concern with Schroeder won't be his size disadvantage but rather his reluctance to shoot the puck. He has a lethal shot and needs to use it more.

I remember the WJC's before we drafted him, watching every american game, and thinking, man oh man if the canucks found a way to trade into the top 10 to get this guy.

This guy dominated when he had good players around him like it wasn't even funny.

Give him a chance with Booth and Higgins, he can skate like the wind and he's defensivly responsible

I know. You've gotta create a lineup based on what AV will likely do, not what we think is best.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Raymond on the second line at all.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Higgins Raymond

Kassian Lapierre Hansen

Weise Schroeder Malhotra

That's my realistic assesment of what we'll see, barring any trades.

I don't see that happening. AV likes the size that Kassian brings. He doesn't want his teams getting pushed around anymore. Four years in a row is enough.

If it comes down to Schroeder or Ebbett, Schroeder brings more to the table. If the Canucks don't want to use Schroeder, they at least have to boost his value for a trade. The only way to do that is to play him.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Ebbett given some sort of a chance. Obviously not on the 2nd line, but he HAS scored a few goals in the NHL before, and he's been quite good in the very few games he's played for the Canucks. He had timely goals and seemed to put a quality effort on the ice every shift, and is in his prime.

The problem is we have all these low end centers right now (or in Schroeder's case, unproven), and nobody is clearly our bonified 3rd line center that can step in as 2nd when Kesler goes down. Lapierre is decent as our 3rd center, but let's face it, he's a bit of a band aid. He's a 4th line player that can play 3rd line, not a 3rd line player that can play 2nd line.

The only guy I can really see now filling in as 2nd line center is Higgins.

There's a huge upside that I can see if Schroeder gets to center the likes of Hansen and Raymond.

They all have wheels that can cause absolute havoc on teams Defense. Speed kills and this line will burn holes in the opponent's socks. But Schroeder would legitimately be playing with wingers who have some finish. Hansen had a career high in goals when he had a playmaking center in Hodgson. Schroeder has slick hands and is no slouch as a playmaker if not better than Hodgson. Raymond will finally benefit from having a passer finally. He did fairly well when playing briefly with Hodgson but couldn't respark that chemistry with Kesler who has the ability to be very selfish with the puck. Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen sounds mightly tasty at the moment.

Yes Schroeder isn't the ideal third line center and more likely will play the second line since Kesler's out...but Schroeder's defensive game has improved although his plus minus speak otherwise, but he has taken steps towards it. His speed and ability to stick with the game is a bigger advantage that Hodgson didn't have where his skating couldn't match top line speed. Schroeder isn't physical but he knows how to finish his checks and with a low center of gravity and solid core, he has power to deliver not bone crushing hits but solid checks. He could redefine his game like Nathan Gerbe had to do who is 5"5 and 175 lbs which is similar to Schroeder. Gerbe was able to change from an offensive juggernaut in Boston College to a fiesty checking player who scored 30+ points last year while playing the Wing/Center for the Sabres in the bottom six.

Schroeder has the ability to do that too, but I much rather see him put his offensive skill to good use.

Archived