The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will surprise us like Hodgson

The Dark Knight

Well I look forward to the surprise then...

He's been improving steadily the last few seasons, but I still have trouble seeing him develop the offensive skills that will allow him to be a top 6 forward, and his size will limit him from being an ideal candidate for our bottom 6.

There's a huge upside that I can see if Schroeder gets to center the likes of Hansen and Raymond.

They all have wheels that can cause absolute havoc on teams Defense. Speed kills and this line will burn holes in the opponent's socks. But Schroeder would legitimately be playing with wingers who have some finish. Hansen had a career high in goals when he had a playmaking center in Hodgson. Schroeder has slick hands and is no slouch as a playmaker if not better than Hodgson. Raymond will finally benefit from having a passer finally. He did fairly well when playing briefly with Hodgson but couldn't respark that chemistry with Kesler who has the ability to be very selfish with the puck. Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen sounds mightly tasty at the moment.

Yes Schroeder isn't the ideal third line center and more likely will play the second line since Kesler's out...but Schroeder's defensive game has improved although his plus minus speak otherwise, but he has taken steps towards it. His speed and ability to stick with the game is a bigger advantage that Hodgson didn't have where his skating couldn't match top line speed. Schroeder isn't physical but he knows how to finish his checks and with a low center of gravity and solid core, he has power to deliver not bone crushing hits but solid checks. He could redefine his game like Nathan Gerbe had to do who is 5"5 and 175 lbs which is similar to Schroeder. Gerbe was able to change from an offensive juggernaut in Boston College to a fiesty checking player who scored 30+ points last year while playing the Wing/Center for the Sabres in the bottom six.

Schroeder has the ability to do that too, but I much rather see him put his offensive skill to good use.

Here is the record of those that believe Jordan will make the club and where he will play.

Allow me to tally this record and update and revise it until the NUCKS go with their main line-up after five regular season games or so:

crazy 4 nazzy 2nd line,pimp c 2nd line ,old news 3rd line,RustyShackleford 2nd line,canuck_trevor16 2nd line,DeNiro 4th line,SodaPop 2nd line,spectacular 2nd line,moonshinef 4th line,JimLahey 2nd line,zoolander 2/3rd line,Garrison 2nd/3rd line,bossram 2nd line,playboi third line,Smasshian Kassian 3rd line

What? Why would the coaching staff put in an undersized AHL prospect who's never played an NHL game in his life on the 2nd line? You really think they'd risk that with a condensed season and every game is crucial to win? Please..

What's I find funny was the lack of panic last year as the Canucks went with an unconventional choice for the third line - a rookie skilled center (who produced less than Schroeder - and Kassian - in the AHL before jumping to the Canucks).

This year, the Hodgson trade has reportedly left a drought at that position lol.

Regardless, I'd like to see the Canucks roll with 6 centers this season.

I like the makeup of the fourth line with two centers, Lapierre and Malhotra.

I think Higgins is capable of filling the 2nd line roll quite nicely until Kesler returns.

I'd like to see the Canucks pick up another center for the third line. Even if the Canucks had not dealt Hodgson last year, I'd still have wanted them to pick up Pahlsson at the deadline. Arnott and Hecht are still available on the UFA market - a one year deal to platoon with Schroeder would give AV options. If a deal is cut with Toronto that does not include Bozak, a prototypical guy like Steckel, who is dominant in the face off circle, would give AV the option of a more shutdown oriented, defensive zone start third line, or more playmaking in Schroeder. If the 2nd line is scoring...if not... the third line would have the ability to complement the 2nd regardless of how or whether it is rollng. And with Higgins and Hansen - both two-way players, they can adapt easily to either type of center, as they evidenced last year playing with Hodgson, and then were the Canucks best line to end the season, playing with Pahlsson.

Veterans like Arnott, Hecht, Steckel are all in their late 30s and would be good options to spell Schroeder, who doesn't necessarily have to play every night. If Kesler isn't or doesn't stay healthy, they'll be needed even more.

He has a string of good games and he is the next St. Louis?

Give me a break

this kid is suppose to be a pure goal scoring machine he is not even close to a ppg player.

his offensive production has hardly changed since he came to the AHL I don't give a poop about his intangibles.

Dominate or at least become a ppg player in the AHL then we can start talking about 2nd line mins in the NHL.

He is top 6 or bust it's not like you can play him in the bottom six and devolp him that way.

Goals, assists, defensive responsibility at an above average AHL level is too much to ask for on CDC

Just because we drafted a player doesn't make him NHL ready

Seriously you are all crazy.

AV, contrary to belief has a good track record developing prospects. And he is very predictable in how he assigns ice time. He likes guys who get into it and get their noses dirty. Spelled out, call it work rate or intensity. He loves what I call glue guys; who skate full out whole shifts, go to the corners, back check, fore check, hit...

Guys who don't offer it don't get time! Raymond may not be a hitter, but he skates his arse off and back checks. The Sedin's have never seen a corner to be shied away from and they win puck battles. Guys like Burrows and Kesler, Hansen also, have all been given bigger roles than other more heralded guys when they broke in. Because they bring it!

Hodgson patrolled the passing lanes at neutral speed. Schroeder skates harder and is more explosive, full stop!

He'll have an easier time making the team because of how he plays...

as long as AV is patient with him and not bench him and demote him to 4th line after he doesn't put up points in the first 5 or so games.

Who ever said that?

Actually he's not suppost be a pure scoring machine, he's not a scorer, he has a great shot (And shooting more would be great for him) He's not a scorer, that's not his style. And you not knowing that just proves to me that you don't follow his game, watch him play. You just look at his height and his stats and say he is a bust.

Dominating at the AHL doesn't make someone NHL ready, that's not the step or the signal that it is time to give someone a call up. Cody Hodgson put up the same if not lesser numbers, then we called him up and no one is looking at his AHL production.

No one is expecting him to be ready just cause we drafted him, but like I said the signal that he is ready for a callup isn't him dominating the AHL, there comes a point where people need to take that next step, and Jordan Schroeder from what we have seen is ready to get that evaluation, and actually he can develop as a 3rd line forward, defensive awarness and defensive ability is apart of his game, he's not all offence he does have defensive skills aswell.

Obviously the managment thinks he is ready since AV told him in his exit meeting that he deserved a call-up.

I don't think you have followed him closely enough to make an accurate assessment on whether or not he deserves an NHL shot quite frankly.

Archived