258 replies to this topic

#91 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

You have the most sane lineup I've seen so far. I could see them using Malhotra for faceoffs. Also, Lapierre and Malhotra might switch depending on performances etc.

People saying we should be playing a 5'9" completely unproven prospect as our 2nd line center in a CONDENSED season where every single win counts are dreaming. We can't afford that risk if we want to have any success this year, I'm fine with him slotting into the 4th line.

Personally, I'd prefer we just got Arnott for a year. He could be the 2nd line center while Kesler is gone then be a very good 3rd line center for us later. I'm pretty uncomfortable with our center depth overall right now--I guess we'll see how the Canucks respond with no Kesler.

This post marks you out as someone who ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS hockey and how hard it is to win games.

Most of the rest of these guys are fantasists who put words like "young" "prospect" "draft" together and think they are talking Wayne Gretsky while ignoring all the obvious salient and more meaningful actualities.

I totally agree with your Arnott comment.
Kevin.jpg

#92 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

JS is one...

No he isn't, he was asked to work on his 2 way game and he is. However the fact is he still looked "behind the play" far too often in Chicago and lacks the strength and the combative edge required from someone of his size to do it effectively in the NHL...........especially on that "Disney Line"
Kevin.jpg

#93 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

If this was a regular 82 game season I would also think that Schroeder would get a long look as a 2nd/3rd line center. With a 48 to 50 game season though I just don't see AV having anything but a much shorter leash on a young player.

I think signing Jason Arnott for 1 year would be a smart move in a few ways actually. First, he adds size, a right handed shot, and can play well on the 2nd or 3rd lines or even slide over to the wing as necessary to fill a hole. Also, with the shortened season it would mean less wear and tear on him heading into the playoffs. Assuming he wants to continue to play and has been working out as such (have no idea if he has or not), then he would be a pretty good band aid - certainly better than Lapierre or Ebbett or even converting Higgins. We need Higgins to be the player he has been as a winger, not take that away from the lineup to plug a hole at center.

I think this is the best chance the Canucks have to win a cup with this core group. After this season they will need to start re-tooling the roster and getting younger.

#94 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Having said that, I would be fine with giving Schroeder a shot too. I just don't think AV is built that way to be honest.

#95 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Uh, what does that mean? He will not get the ice time that his dad wants himto so he will whine and whinge and request a trade? No thanks man.

Lolol
Posted Image

#96 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I really like Jordan Schroeder, He'll do great on the Canucks, hopefully get at least 30points, he can fill in for Kesler while he's away(hopefully not). If kesler is back I think he can play on the third line and Lapiere can be on the wing for Malhotra or vice versa because that seemed to work near the end of the season where Malhotra scored that goal in mid air.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#97 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Ok sorry points, he doesn't have many assists either does he

And I don't live in Chicago like you clearly do. Even if I did I would probably sit in the parking lot and drink beer while my wife watched the wrist slashing talentless wolves.
Seriously they are about as exciting to watch as the 95 nj devils practice scrimmage

You don't have to watch the games or follow the team closely (Which I do, I don't like in Chicago)

Just don't make judgments on something you don't really know about, or else it won't hold much weight.

zackass.png

#98 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

You don't have to watch the games or follow the team closely (Which I do, I don't like in Chicago)

Just don't make judgments on something you don't really know about, or else it won't hold much weight.

Is there such thing as a blow box for your phone? Cause I want one.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#99 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

@dowbboy: Mike Shanahan has proclaimed Ryan Kesler "ready to go".

No to worry people.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#100 Spectacular

Spectacular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

You admit to not watching Wolves games and then base your analysis off of Schroeder's stat line. You don't think there's a flaw in that?
Here let me fill you in on what you should know about the Wolves:

- The coach is a dumbass plain and simple. His powerplay setup and line juggling is dreadful. This effects Schroeder a fu**ton.
- Expanding off the previous point, Arniel constantly juggles Schroeder's line even if the line is producing.
- Schroeder has been the teams best player all season. He runs the play almost every shift
- The veterans have been absolutely awful and their stats show it. AHL stars like Haydar and Ebbet have been flat all season long
- The defense as a unit has been a disaster. Joslin may be the worst player I've seen on defense, he makes players around him MUCH worse.

I could list so much more but let me boil it down for you:
This team is poorly coached and this obviously effects team chemistry and individual players.

Schroeder has been awesome this season and when you factor in the poor decision making by Arniel and his assistants, it becomes surprising how much Schroeder is actually being overlooked. I'm not expecting Schroeder to dominate the calder race or anything, but he is fully ready to make the leap into the NHL and play with players that know how to finish. I hate using the WJC as an example but when Schroeder played with players with equal talent, he lit it up and the stat line you so very much like to base your analysis off of proves that. Hell, his overall play in the WJC proves that.

I can't seem to find the post but a CDC'r compared Schroeder's even strength points to other high rated prospects and it turns out he's keeping par with them on even strength but the difference lies in the PP. Some of the blame is of course on Schroeder but the set-up of a powerplay unit bears more weight then an individuals. Even Malkin didn't put up many powerplay points when the Pens powerplay set up was utter crap (either the 05/06 or 06/07 season).

Posted ImagePosted Image

#101 DunCanuck

DunCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Well I'll be sure not to be surprised now that you have brought it to my attention.

Edited by DunCanuck, 07 January 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#102 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

That is great and all and I hope I am wrong.

I just don't see how people can be happy with an undersized forward with his point production.

Intangibles are great but they only go so far especially when your small.

He has to score goals.
If he is as smart and skilled as you all say he us then he should make the players around him better.
Blaming a coach for lack of success is also hard to accept.
Don't forget who Arniel has developed.
He didn't just wake up one day and became a bad coach.
He like most any coach needs talent to work with and we can all safely say that there is a lack of that in Chicago. He had something to work with when he coached the moose. Is Mac T a bad coach too? Cause he didn't have any luck either.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by Noheart, 07 January 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#103 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I don't see Schroeder ever being an impact player in the NHL.

#104 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Having said that, I would be fine with giving Schroeder a shot too. I just don't think AV is built that way to be honest.

I too think he should get a shot but it must be on a line where there are players to look after him till he finds his feet. Raymond would be one because of his defence and recovery speed and Higgins would be the other as I think Booth doesn't have his defence sorted out yet either.

My point was putting him on the Disney Line ie Kassian, Booth and Schroeder would just destroy his confidence. Another reason why I would pair him with Raymond is that Schroeders best performances have tended to be with a speedy winger like Sweatt.

Edited by Bodee, 07 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#105 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I'd prefer JS as a 2nd or 3rd line RW instead of centre. I think it could be pretty effective against smaller teams with Booth and Kesler....who like to shoot.

#106 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,735 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

"@dowbboy: Mike Shanahan has proclaimed Ryan Kesler "ready to go"."

No to worry people.

I see your RG3 and raise you an RK7.

The Canucks may have to make like the Seahawks and take their chances with a smaller, less touted guy - who knows - if we could pull out our Luongo trade crystal ball, we may have a better idea of what the roster will be.

But realistically, I don't like the prospect of Schroeder on the second line, but I'd like to see him on the third in the right circumstances..

Booth and (whoever we play at RW) are not the two-way players that Higgins and Hansen are - I don't think the 2nd line will be an opportune place for him.

On the third line, Schroeder would be between Higgins - a guy who has center credentials himself - and Hansen, as we all know, a guy with serious grind and grit who more than does his job in his own end of the ice. If they could make Hodgson (who was a slow 185lbs last year) work, they can manage with the faster, grittier Schroeder (180 lbs), who as far as I'm concerned, has every bit as much to work with.
If Higgins is moved to center the second line, it could be a little more problematic - Raymond on the third at least has his speed and backchecks like mad - but they could find themselves in trouble down low though, and would probably have to play primarily with one of the top 4 pairings on the ice.
I'd like to see another option added that AV can go to when they are matching up against teams with a lot of size and depth (ie LA), but still, I think Schroeder will make as good a role player as Hodgson did, and would give the third line some scoring punch when needed.

Edited by oldnews, 07 January 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#107 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Here is the record of those that believe Jordan will make the club and where he will play.
Allow me to tally this record and update and revise it until the NUCKS go with their main line-up after five regular season games or so:
crazy 4 nazzy 2nd line,pimp c 2nd line ,old news 3rd line,RustyShackleford 2nd line,canuck_trevor16 2nd line,DeNiro 4th line,SodaPop 2nd line,spectacular 2nd line,moonshinef 4th line,JimLahey 2nd line,zoolander 2/3rd line,Garrison 2nd/3rd line,bossram 2nd line,playboi third line,Smasshian Kassian 3rd line

Why does it even matter?
What are you trying to prove?

Posted Image

#108 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

What a disaster that would be. Seriously? you would have all 3 of these guys in the one line? There is not a defensively astute player amongst them.

I think you should check the stats of Canucks' puck possession while Booth is on the ice. His control of the play is second only to the Burrows-Sedin cycle game. If you see how Kesler and Raymond rate comparatively, it's pretty clear that Booth kept that line from being a total disaster. Booth isn't the hardest backchecker but his defensive ability was brought about by his ability to get the puck out of the zone and create chances. Booth won a lot of battles along the boards, carried the puck and didn't give it up until it was out of play. This is far better defense than eagerly backchecking because you lost the puck in the first place.

Keswho.jpg

#109 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,841 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Why does it even matter?

It doesn't.
That he's a troll.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#110 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Why does it even matter?

Yeah,it matters,because at the end of the day the opinions will be seen to be what they are.
If it does not matter,why post what you believe?
If you are giving your opinion are you trying to prove something or are you a fan?
If you are a fan then it comes back to opinions.Opinions are not facts and your opinions are noted to be presented at a later date.
Enjoy.

#111 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

It doesn't.
That he's a troll.

Yeah,and you would be the ferry man.

#112 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think you should check the stats of Canucks' puck possession while Booth is on the ice. His control of the play is second only to the Burrows-Sedin cycle game. If you see how Kesler and Raymond rate comparatively, it's pretty clear that Booth kept that line from being a total disaster. Booth isn't the hardest backchecker but his defensive ability was brought about by his ability to get the puck out of the zone and create chances. Booth won a lot of battles along the boards, carried the puck and didn't give it up until it was out of play. This is far better defense than eagerly backchecking because you lost the puck in the first place.

All I know is that Booth often lost the puck when I was watching and I also saw him "puck watching" and being caught out. Raymond back checked most of the time on Booth's giveaways.
Kevin.jpg

#113 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

But realistically, I don't like the prospect of Schroeder on the second line, but I'd like to see him on the third in the right circumstances..

On the third line, Schroeder would be between Higgins

If they could make Hodgson (who was a slow 185lbs last year) work, they can manage with the faster, grittier Schroeder (180 lbs), who as far as I'm concerned, has every bit as much to work with.

I think Schroeder will make as good a role player as Hodgson did, and would give the third line some scoring punch when needed.

Realistically,Schroeder is going back to Chicago.
Bashing Hodgson to make Schroeder look better is not going to secure him a position.

#114 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I don't see Schroeder ever being an impact player in the NHL.

Care to elaborate?

Not sure the point of your post, and Spectacular summed up my thoughts on Schroeder this year perfectly.

zackass.png

#115 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Yeah,it matters,because at the end of the day the opinions will be seen to be what they are.
If it does not matter,why post what you believe?
If you are giving your opinion are you trying to prove something or are you a fan?
If you are a fan then it comes back to opinions.Opinions are not facts and your opinions are noted to be presented at a later date.
Enjoy.

Lol look in the mirror with these statements.

zackass.png

#116 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Realistically,Schroeder is going back to Chicago.
Bashing Hodgson to make Schroeder look better is not going to secure him a position.

Presenting facts to support his opinion isn't bashing Hodgson.

The fact of the matter is Schroeder is faster, weights almost just as much for being a smaller player, and is better defensively.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 07 January 2013 - 05:18 PM.

zackass.png

#117 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Lol look in the mirror with these statements.

I was thinking of you and some of your homer buddies.

#118 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

The fact of the matter is Schroeder is faster, weights almost just as much for being a smaller player, and is better defensively.

Please.His act is bad enough as it is without your encouragement.
Again,comparing Jordan to Cody is not going to secure him an NHL position.
I see you failed to mention the size and weight argument that is the 3 ton elephant in the NHL room.
Of course,Schroeder is equipped for a slot on the second line as it means absolutely nothing going against 6 foot four inch monsters at the NHL level.

Edit:Hodgson weighed in at 194 last year and has kept a rigid work out going with Roberts all summer-again.
http://sabres.nhl.co....htm?id=8474570
http://www.sportsnet...s/Cody_Hodgson/

Edited by nuck nit, 07 January 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#119 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I was thinking of you and some of your homer buddies.

Lol yeah makes sense.

I've been the one providing logic and reason for my opinions on the matter.

Your the one who hasn't.

But okay believe what you would like.

Please.His act is bad enough as it is without your encouragement.
Again,comparing Jordan to Cody is not going to secure him an NHL position.
I see you failed to mention the size and weight argument that is the 3 ton elephant in the NHL room.
Of course,Schroeder is equipped for a slot on the second line as it means absolutely nothing going against 6 foot four inch monsters at the NHL level.

How did I fail to mention it? Did you even read.

And it won't guarentee Schroeder a spot on the roster, but the hope is people will open there eyes and see how good he is, since everyone is still in La-La Cody Love land.

zackass.png

#120 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Comparing Shroeder to Hodgson means nothing as the kid is twenty pounds lighter ,probably four inches smaller and has not played an NHL game despite four years of AHL play.
Your facts are not consistent with reality.
I have had enough of your `` Cody love`` immature remarks so try to make some rational statements or just stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.