258 replies to this topic

#121 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Comparing Shroeder to Hodgson means nothing as the kid is twenty pounds lighter ,probably four inches smaller and has not played an NHL game despite four years of AHL play.
Your facts are not consistent with reality.
I have had enough of your `` Cody love`` immature remarks so try to make some rational statements or just stop.

Well if you wanna talk about facts, Schroeder has played just over 2 and a half years in the AHL, not 4.

And he's only about 10 pounds lighter than Hodgson, give or take a few pounds.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#122 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

His only disadvantage is his size. If he can play a big mans game, but utilize his speed and finesse, he'll be all right. He's definitely not going to put up gargantuan numbers, but I think he'll be a good quick fix while waiting for Kesler.

I've never had high hopes for Schroeder, but hopefully this will be a "coming out party" of sorts for him.

/=S=/

#123 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I would say a few minor changes:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Lapierre Booth
Higgins Malhotra Hansen
Weise Ebbett Kassian

AV will always go with a majority veteran lineup in the top 6 no matter how they play. If Lapierre is not on the 2nd line then I bet Ebbett is with Lappy on the 3rd and Manny on the 4th. I doubt Schroeder gets a shot there unless there is no other choice.

gonna have 0 secondary scoring.

#124 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Well if you wanna talk about facts, Schroeder has played just over 2 and a half years in the AHL, not 4.

Sorry.This is year four.Manitoba 2009-2011.Chicago last year and this one.203 total AHL games,inc.playoffs.
Hodgson worked out with Roberts again but was listed at 194 lbs. on the Buffalo site.
Jordan would be the 179 they list when he is soaking wet.

Edited by nuck nit, 08 January 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#125 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Dear god please yes, it's taken long enough and doesn't help our size issue but boy do we need another center besides Hank that can pass the puck.

#126 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Sorry.This is year four.Manitoba 2009-2011.Chicago last year and this one.203 total AHL games,inc.playoffs.
Hodgson worked out with Roberts again but was listed at 194 lbs. on the Buffalo site.
Jordan would be the 179 they list when he is soaking wet.

To be fair, he only played 11 games in 09 and 30 so far in 12. So really only 2 years in AHL so far. 2013 will be 3yrs. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Cody, but he certainly has a disadvantage that will take him longer to get to the NHL. If he were Cody's height and weight, I think he would be as good or better. Certainly a more complete player.

#127 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

No he isn't, he was asked to work on his 2 way game and he is. However the fact is he still looked "behind the play" far too often in Chicago and lacks the strength and the combative edge required from someone of his size to do it effectively in the NHL...........especially on that "Disney Line"

He was asked to, and from watching the games this year and last you can clearly tell he's the Wolves' best defensive forward.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#128 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I like what Jordan brings but his development at the NHL level will have to be a process,just like his AHL time.

Although he has parts of four AHL seasons to his credit he does not have one NHL game under his belt.

With 203 AHL games played he is more than ready to have a shot at the NHL but it would have to be incremental and this is not the year for experimentation and initiation,as MG says.

#129 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

He is also really strong for his size both physically & on his skates, and he is also really elusive so I don't see him getting physically pushed around alot.

This is somewhat important. Being strong and small has an advantage in that he may be somewhat difficult to contain along the boards. The ONLY problem with Schoeder's height is "accidental" headshot bait.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#130 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Nuck, Schroeder has played parts of 4 season's, not 4 seasons. it equals out to 2 seasons (not including this one) so it's not 4.

IMO Schroeder is a better player now than Cody was in training camp last year, and we all saw how much better he got, then you add that Schroeder is already in mid season form (Something more of our roster isn't in) and that he is riding a point streak so his confidence is high, why not give Schroeder a chance to do that same?

I think he will surprise alot of you.

zackass.png

#131 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

This is somewhat important. Being strong and small has an advantage in that he may be somewhat difficult to contain along the boards. The ONLY problem with Schoeder's height is "accidental" headshot bait.

It only fairs even better for his chances at success, like you say those qualities help out alot in the tough areas since he is so elusive and has the strength to go with it.

Ennis hasn't been "headshot bait", Gionta hasn't been "Headshot bait", Niether has St.Louis or Kane, or Gerbe or any other small forward in the league, if this is what we are nit picking about, then we have much much better things to worry about.

zackass.png

#132 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

To be fair, he only played 11 games in 09 and 30 so far in 12. So really only 2 years in AHL so far. 2013 will be 3yrs. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Cody, but he certainly has a disadvantage that will take him longer to get to the NHL. If he were Cody's height and weight, I think he would be as good or better. Certainly a more complete player.

Thank goodness someone with some sense who has been actually following Schroeder this year and can take the Cody glasses off. +1

zackass.png

#133 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I like what Jordan brings but his development at the NHL level will have to be a process,just like his AHL time.

Although he has parts of four AHL seasons to his credit he does not have one NHL game under his belt.

With 203 AHL games played he is more than ready to have a shot at the NHL but it would have to be incremental and this is not the year for experimentation and initiation,as MG says.

well said.

Jordan Schroeder has tremendous upside. His talents could very well translate to an excellent top 6 forward at the NHL level. I for one have faith they will. His hockey IQ and vision are elite IMO.

The problem with the present situation is JS is only 22(most top 6 centers are 24-25 before they break out.) small in stature and even if he was able to perform his AHL game at an NHL level (which will be almost impossible) it is hard to imagine AV endearing himself to yet another non physical presence in our line-up.

JS has a leg up on the NHL players. He is already in mid season form and this could very well see him start the season in the Canucks top 3 lines in some capacity, but the hard truth of the situation is he is currently a match up dream for the opposition.

My best hopes for Jordan are that he could find a niche as a playmaker for Kesler and Booth 2 physical shooting beasts. I think it is fair to assume that he would at least have more success than Raymond who lacks finish and balance.

#134 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm not saying he'll be as good as Cody, but he certainly has a disadvantage that will take him longer to get to the NHL.
If he were Cody's height and weight, I think he would be as good or better. Certainly a more complete player.

Smasshian Kassian,you may wish to note the "If he were" 'Cody's height and weight' part of Higgyfan's post.
Jordan is not.
Thus the 4 AHL season wait while he builds up his body so he won't have his NHL career ended before it begins.

#135 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Smasshian Kassian,you may wish to note the "If he were" 'Cody's height and weight' part of Higgyfan's post.
Jordan is not.
Thus the 4 AHL season wait while he builds up his body so he won't have his NHL career ended before it begins.

They're pretty similiar in weight, a couple inches really isn't that big of a deal when your built and have more speed imo.

Edited by TheGame., 08 January 2013 - 06:26 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#136 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Schroeder is 179lbs.
Hodgson was 185lbs last year and listed at 188 this year.
I'd take the extra speed, grit, and defensive responsibility over the extra 6-9 lbs anyday.
What are their percentages of body fat? ::D

Edited by oldnews, 08 January 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#137 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Realistically,Schroeder is going back to Chicago.
Bashing Hodgson to make Schroeder look better is not going to secure him a position.

I'm about done bothering to respond to you. You're still littering this thread with personal attacks - I mean really - calling Dasein the "ferry" man? Words like that don't make you a bigger man.
We are here to discuss hockey.
You comment on my "act" - but there is big difference between my suggestion that Hodgson is slow or not a great defensive player, and what you are doing.
You're making ignorant, inciteful comments. What's the point?

Edited by oldnews, 08 January 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#138 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

His speed will help in this new NHL despite his small size.......give him good linemates with some size he should be fine....hopefully Booth can be Bill Sweatt of the NHL........dont know who should play right wing but perhaps Higgins or Kassasin

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#139 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I think Ebbett will eventually be the 2nd line center in Kesler's absence. I see Schroeder making the lineup (by default), but struggling somewhat. Because the Canucks usually start slowly, Schneider's stats won't be pretty, creating controversy. Luongo unfortunately won't do much better until later in the season.

I like Schroeder, but I don't really see him becoming a consistent top six player, but rather a complimentary player like Wellwood.

#140 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

well said.

Jordan Schroeder has tremendous upside. His talents could very well translate to an excellent top 6 forward at the NHL level. I for one have faith they will. His hockey IQ and vision are elite IMO.

The problem with the present situation is JS is only 22(most top 6 centers are 24-25 before they break out.) small in stature and even if he was able to perform his AHL game at an NHL level (which will be almost impossible) it is hard to imagine AV endearing himself to yet another non physical presence in our line-up.

JS has a leg up on the NHL players. He is already in mid season form and this could very well see him start the season in the Canucks top 3 lines in some capacity, but the hard truth of the situation is he is currently a match up dream for the opposition.

My best hopes for Jordan are that he could find a niche as a playmaker for Kesler and Booth 2 physical shooting beasts. I think it is fair to assume that he would at least have more success than Raymond who lacks finish and balance.

Now this is a post I respect +1 great post, unlike Nuck Nit you see what I see in that his offensive ability is highend, and that even though he has been on the back burner has all the tools to be a very good top 6 forward.

I think the biggest thing will be AV the fact that AV told JS he had earned a call up last year gives me faith AV might actually give him a shot, I mean who else is there? He has been better and is better than Ebbett, and Lappierre doesn't bring as much offense and is much more suited to the 3rd line role which will also need to be filled effectively due to the trickle down effect of losing Kesler.

You also see that he has the leg up and is riding a confidence streak, and personally I don't think he is a match up dream, he is better on the forecheck than Ebbett, and he is actually is quite good, he is so quick and elusive along with the fact that he is very strong for his size and is strong on his skates I think he will do just fine myself.

Nontheless glad to see you have some sense & provide some logic rather than making judgments on something you know nothing about with no reasonable logic like nuck nit does.

Jordan is not.

2.5 seasons, and the fact that he is only 5 Lbs lighter than Cody and alot faster is quite impressive in my mind, as is to others who have watched him play this year and are willing to be fair in judging him, you don't seem to do either.

I think Ebbett will eventually be the 2nd line center in Kesler's absence. I see Schroeder making the lineup (by default), but struggling somewhat. Because the Canucks usually start slowly, Schneider's stats won't be pretty, creating controversy. Luongo unfortunately won't do much better until later in the season.

I like Schroeder, but I don't really see him becoming a consistent top six player, but rather a complimentary player like Wellwood.

JS has better offensive skill than Wellwood, is much faster, better defensively and is very determinded and a hardworker. I don't see much of a comparison aside from size honestly.

zackass.png

#141 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

2.5 seasons, and the fact that he is only 5 Lbs lighter than Cody and alot faster is quite impressive in my mind, as is to others who have watched him play this year and are willing to be fair in judging him, you don't seem to do either.

He can't seem to get it through his head that 11 games doesn't equal a full season. Neither does the 30 games he has played this season.

Probably cause it hurts his argument that Schroeder is a bust. The reality is, Schroeder is 22 years old. The average age for a player entering the NHL full time is 22. He's right on track.

Now it's up to him to build up some chemistry early on, and force the coach to give him a roster spot.

Look at all of the centers taken around when he was. None of them have exactly exceled at the NHL level yet, other than Marcus Johansson.

Peter Holland - 4 GP 1G 0A

Louis Leblanc - 42 GP 5G 5A

Chris Kreider - 18 PGP 5G 2A

Jacob Josefson - 69 GP 5G 14A

Kyle Palmieri - 28 GP 5 G 3A

Edited by DeNiro, 09 January 2013 - 04:19 AM.

Posted Image

#142 Thumbs_up_Jesus

Thumbs_up_Jesus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

i wasnt suprised to see what hodgson did.. actually the worst part is.. he has the potential to be much more than what we saw in a canucks uniform. we just saw glimpses. and now we will see him do it on another team.

we know what we are getting with schroeder. i would be suprised if kassian gets anywhere near bertuzzi-esque.
Posted Image

#143 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

The point is, we all WANT him to succeed. That is surly a given.
I have already expressed where I stand on this and so there is no point in "tearing the erse" out of it.

If Schroeder does get a chance, my abiding hope is that playing with much better team mates will elevate his game. However for that to happen I feel he must adopt a more ballsy "I belong in this company and I'm going to kick ass" approach...............We will see.
Kevin.jpg

#144 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

i wasnt suprised to see what hodgson did.. actually the worst part is.. he has the potential to be much more than what we saw in a canucks uniform. we just saw glimpses. and now we will see him do it on another team.

we know what we are getting with schroeder. i would be suprised if kassian gets anywhere near bertuzzi-esque.

Sadly most people actually don't. There's alot of people pretending they know what kind of player he is.

But just like with Hodgson, they'll be proven wrong.

I found it hilarious when all of the posters who were constantly calling Cody a bust, all of a sudden jumped on the bandwagon and pretended they knew he was going to be a star all along.

Posted Image

#145 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

I'm about done bothering to respond to you. You're still littering this thread with personal attacks - I mean really - calling Dasein the "ferry" man? Words like that don't make you a bigger man.
We are here to discuss hockey.
You're making ignorant, inciteful comments. What's the point?

In life we get what we give out.I see your hockey discussion and this is where I end your act.
Dasein wishes to call me a troll then I am certainly entitled to call him the ferry man,aren't I?
It is probably lost on the both of you,in any event.
Knock off the innocent act , oldnews, and please just go away,as you promise.

Edited by nuck nit, 09 January 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#146 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

He can't seem to get it through his head that 11 games doesn't equal a full season. Neither does the 30 games he has played this season.

Probably cause it hurts his argument that Schroeder is a bust. The reality is, Schroeder is 22 years old. The average age for a player entering the NHL full time is 22. He's right on track.

Now it's up to him to build up some chemistry early on, and force the coach to give him a roster spot.

Look at all of the centers taken around when he was. None of them have exactly exceled at the NHL level yet, other than Marcus Johansson.

Peter Holland - 4 GP 1G 0A

Louis Leblanc - 42 GP 5G 5A

Chris Kreider - 18 PGP 5G 2A

Jacob Josefson - 69 GP 5G 14A

Kyle Palmieri - 28 GP 5 G 3A

Exactly, I guess all those players are busts too though, just ask nuck nit.

zackass.png

#147 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

De Niro,
Schroeder has played in 4 AHL seasons,participating in three playoff runs,totalling 203 AHL games.
No NHL games played.
Not a mystery except to a few here that think he should start on the second line on a President Cup Champions team.

#148 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

Sadly most people actually don't. There's alot of people pretending they know what kind of player he is.

But just like with Hodgson, they'll be proven wrong.

I found it hilarious when all of the posters who were constantly calling Cody a bust, all of a sudden jumped on the bandwagon and pretended they knew he was going to be a star all along.

Oh man tell me about it, I remember everyone here jumping all over him, and John Shannon saying he was going to be a third liner.

Schroeder will surprise alot of people who are too fickle to watch him play before making judgments.

zackass.png

#149 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

De Niro,
Schroeder has played in 4 AHL seasons,participating in three playoff runs,totalling 203 AHL games.
No NHL games played.
Not a mystery except to a few here that think he should start on the second line on a President Cup Champions team.

Your head must hurt for amount of times you have banged your head against that same cement wall.

zackass.png

#150 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

De Niro,
No NHL games played.

Okay, I'll do the math for you since you seem to be incapable.

203 games played divided by 76 games a season equals 2.67 seasons. Got it?

He hasn't played 4 seasons and he hasn't played 4 years.

The fact that he hasn't played any games in the NHL doesn't mean a whole lot. He had Hodgson ahead of him on the depth chart, who was a year older. He wasn't going to beat him out last season. This season he would have likely started the season, but there wasn't one.

And I recall people saying Hodgson should have gotten 2nd line minutes around these parts last year. But how could a rookie be on the second line of a president's trophy winning team? It's because if we wanna score goals, our offensive players need to be in the top 6. Putting Lapierre as a second line center and expecting to score alot is pretty silly.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.