258 replies to this topic

#211 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

He's exceeded my early expectations so far! He doesn't look out of place at all these past few games.

He actually can develop into a Brendan Morrison for us! He's already built some trust with AV too.

Haters gonna hate!

Posted Image

#212 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Schroeder will surprise us..... and then Gillis will trade him, surprising us even more.

Edited by Markus Alexander Cody, 26 January 2013 - 11:35 AM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#213 doobiedoodoo

doobiedoodoo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Been very impressed with Schroeder so far.

#214 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ill say this pretty confidently, Schroeder will never be as good as Hodgson, straight up.
Posted Image

#215 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hes small and gets bumped around pretty easy... But hes got great hockey sense, knows where to be, very good at evading opposition, an excellent passer and has the potential to be the best skater on the team. He looks better through 2 games than hodgson did after 2 games.

Hate the comparisons, really should leave that horse alone, but its true. People should just let trades go and praise what we've got.

I like Schroeder and hes earned every inch of ice so far, keep it up!

He kind of reminds me of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins last year in how everyone said hes to small and needs to develop some size, but his hockey sense seems to rule that out, mind over matter!

Edited by frazzY, 26 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#216 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Assist to make it 5-0.

SURPRISE
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#217 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hes small and gets bumped around pretty easy... But hes got great hockey sense, knows where to be, very good at evading opposition, an excellent passer and has the potential to be the best skater on the team. He looks better through 2 games than hodgson did after 2 games.

Did Schroeder struggle with injury and back problems for two years before finally getting consistent starts? No. Don't want to fuel the argument comparisons but I'm just saying.. It's a lot easier to come in when you're 100% healthy and have great games, whereas, coming in and just starting to get a feel of skating and playing a full game after having to deal with health issues for the past two years.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#218 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Did Schroeder struggle with injury and back problems for two years before finally getting consistent starts? No. Don't want to fuel the argument comparisons but I'm just saying.. It's a lot easier to come in when you're 100% healthy and have great games, whereas, coming in and just starting to get a feel of skating and playing a full game after having to deal with health issues for the past two years.

You make a good point, look at raymond for example, hes finally coming around after breaking his back almost 2 years ago. You cant argue that Schroeder is miles ahead in skating ability though. I hope Hodgson has success in Buffalo, i just want everyone on here to shut up about it.

Schroeder looks like he has the potential to be just as good as him.

Edited by frazzY, 26 January 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#219 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sorry but hodgson will be way better. In my opinion. I said CH was gona light it up this year... So far not disapointed.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#220 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I'm glad he's gotten a chance up here, but I'm most surprised by the few hits I've seen JS throw. Nothing huge, but more than I can say for other small players (cough, Raymond, cough).

#221 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Ill say this pretty confidently, Schroeder will never be as good as Hodgson, straight up.

Schroeder's potential has never been projected as high as Hodgson. As a matter of fact, in the last two years people have been suggesting that he will never be an NHL player. So, yes...he is surprising us. Hodgson really didn't surprise, as he was expected to be a top 6 player.

#222 Go Go Canucks Go

Go Go Canucks Go

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hodgson is still a defensive liability and he's proven that this year so far if you've watched some of his games this year. He's also still brutal at the face off circle.I would sure hope he puts up points given the fact he plays on 1st line with two skilled guy and gets all the top PP mins. He's going to be a good player but I think his skating will hold him back from being a great player.

It's a good trade for Hodgson camp because if he didn't get sheltered minutes in the Western Conference he would be eaten alive as a #1 center. Western Conference is that much tougher physically and more defense orientated than the Eastern conference.

Schroeder offensive ceiling might not project to be as high as Hodgson but he's certainly showing that he belongs in the NHL these past 2 games. His skating, vision and hockey smarts have already been displayed and he'll only get better.
Aaron Rome 1 goal in 114 games and oh yeah 10 assists. Thats 11 points people..that's a decent .0964 points per game average. He's a power play expert at turn overs and wide shots. He's a depth defenceman for anyone looking to win the stanley cup. A key here is he is very slow and takes timely penalties because he is an expert at head games. Clearly the most underrated underachiever of all time. He also has a mean 5 oclock shadow. MMMMM Aaron Rome goes down smooth like an unshaked can of Guinness that has been in the garage for awhile. MMM Aaron Rome put him on your powerplay, let him kill penalties, a stud...a steed... half cro magnon man part time bowling champion but supremely talented Defenceman. Rome for the Norris! I think Rome was solid like Rory Fitzpatrick or Eric Weinrich...Rome could use a yellow visor for that matter ...really give him the edge

#223 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

It's a tough call between Schroeder and Hodgson, in my opinion they're very similar and only time will tell. Schroeder is a lot faster but Hodgson is a bit bigger (although I've seen Schroeder be more physical than Hodgson so far) and probably has the better shot. I would say their playmaking skills are even, I personally want to say Schroeder is better but I forget how good Hodgson was at passing I'll have to watch some Buffalo games.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#224 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Schroeder will surprise us..... and then Gillis will trade him, surprising us even more.

If it's another move like with Hodgson then we'll end up with a player who's bigger, faster, younger and just as skilled. Here's hoping he does, eh?
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#225 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,780 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hodgson will be better offensively but Schroeder will be better defensively. Schroeder is also more physical and feisty. I like Schroeders speed too, it causes a lot of trouble for the opposition on the rush.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#226 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

If it's another move like with Hodgson then we'll end up with a player who's bigger, faster, younger and just as skilled. Here's hoping he does, eh?

All but the 'just as skilled part'. There's just a tiny difference between hacking at pucks and sniping.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#227 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

I think Jordan Schroeder will have a similar impact to what Hodgson brought to the team last season.

I think like many people here, we've been able to watch quite a handful of games to get an idea of what our prospects look like. I've been extremely impressed with schroeder and his work ethic out there, while his commitment to playing a 2 way game is more evident. I think that is going to bode well for him trying to establish himself within AV's system. I think the one thing Schroeder has going for him over Hodgson is overall speed which is going to help out on the defensive side of things.

I hope he gets a fair shake, he's been nothing but s trooper down on the farm team without any complaints. He might be on of those players that produces more in an NHL environment and better players.

GOOD LUCK SCHROEDER! Canuck Fans want you to make the team!

Couldn't agree more, my thought aswell. Infact through a few games he is already showing he is at the same level Cody was last year, which is something when you compare where Cody was when he first broke into the NHL (10/11) and where Jordan is now (When he has now broken in for the first time) and there is really no comparison at all. If Schroeder can continue on this way, I only see him following the same path Cody has and perhaps re-kindling some of the high potentialy he seemed to have had before going on the back burner.

It's a tough call between Schroeder and Hodgson, in my opinion they're very similar and only time will tell. Schroeder is a lot faster but Hodgson is a bit bigger (although I've seen Schroeder be more physical than Hodgson so far) and probably has the better shot. I would say their playmaking skills are even, I personally want to say Schroeder is better but I forget how good Hodgson was at passing I'll have to watch some Buffalo games.

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment, Schreoder brings a better all round game, Cody has a better slapper, JS has a better wrist, the same playmaking wise (IMO) Although on the PP I would give Cody the slight advantage. Schroeder definetly has more game breaking ability though.

He's exceeded my early expectations so far! He doesn't look out of place at all these past few games.

He actually can develop into a Brendan Morrison for us! He's already built some trust with AV too.

Haters gonna hate!

I think that is a good comparison.

Anything along the lines of: Morrison (in his prime), Cammalleri, Briere, Backstrom (not Backstrom at his peak, what he has shown to be now), Savard, exc.

I think the best comparison is probably Savard, maybe with a bit better defensive instincts though.

zackass.png

#228 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

Sorry but hodgson will be way better. In my opinion. I said CH was gona light it up this year... So far not disapointed.

I'm kind of neutral on Hodgson. I wasn't thinking he'd "light it up" this season, but I was anticipating more from him than what he has shown to date.

After five games, playing on Buffalo's top line, with guys who have 9 and 8 points, he has not shown himself to be an offensive force. Hodgson has only 3 goals (no assists) and I believe none are as a result of him shooting as much as just being in the right place at the right time (ie. he was lucky it bounced off of him and into the net).

Certainly a goal is a goal, but if you were to compare how Kassian and Hodgson have gotten their goals this season, they seem reversed. Kassian is the guy who was supposed to stand in front of the goal while the Sedin's bounced pucks off of his butt and into the net. Hodgson was supposed to be scoring with his great shot and showing off his playmaking skills. Not quite turning out that way, at least not in the first five games.

Even if he is not getting more points (like assists) due to some kind of weird puckluck, his +/- is still only at 0. If you look at the Buffalo forums, you will note there is a lot of criticism regarding Hodgson's defensive play, which has apparently not improved since his time with the Canucks.

If I were you, I might not be disappointed with his results so far, but I certainly wouldn't be particularly satisfied with them.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 29 January 2013 - 06:32 AM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#229 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Jordan has held his own but after four NHL games projecting and predicting anything is like blowing cold air into your home in December-it is unnecessary,it does not feel good and it accomplishes nothing.
After a few games we can say he is doing ok in the faceoff circle with an average of 40%,although he only had one extra f/o win than Ebbett yesterday and everybody wants Andrew's head.Strange.
Jordan did not register a shot on net today.
He does not log any short handed minutes.
He is not being used in the shoot out(although maybe he should be given a try).
The only similarity he has with Hodgson is he logged 13 minutes of TOI and second unit PP duties where his game is offensively minded.That is no surprise.
Jordan has three shots on net in four games played-the same as Ebbett but eight years younger and paid twice as much (with his bonus cheque).
Jordan is quick and a good story and has room to grow.At this stage he has not been lighting the NHL on fire and his ice time and stats reflect that.

Edited by nuck nit, 29 January 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#230 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Couldn't agree more, my thought aswell. Infact through a few games he is already showing he is at the same level Cody was last year, which is something when you compare where Cody was when he first broke into the NHL (10/11) and where Jordan is now (When he has now broken in for the first time) and there is really no comparison at all. If Schroeder can continue on this way, I only see him following the same path Cody has and perhaps re-kindling some of the high potentialy he seemed to have had before going on the back burner.

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment, Schreoder brings a better all round game, Cody has a better slapper, JS has a better wrist, the same playmaking wise (IMO) Although on the PP I would give Cody the slight advantage. Schroeder definetly has more game breaking ability though.

I think that is a good comparison.

Anything along the lines of: Morrison (in his prime), Cammalleri, Briere, Backstrom (not Backstrom at his peak, what he has shown to be now), Savard, exc.

I think the best comparison is probably Savard, maybe with a bit better defensive instincts though.

schroeders skating abilities are far superior to hodgsons too.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#231 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Cody is playing first line minutes and Jordan is playing third/fourth.
Cody has three goals and Jordan has yet to score.
Cody is 40% in the circle against first line NHL-ers.
Jordan is 40% in the circle playing second line PP and against third liners.
It is what it is.

#232 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

Does he have to be in order to fill the role he currently has, and will likely continue to have on this team?

Schroeder is already a better option than Hodgson if you are looking for a 3rd line center. He's a better skater, he is pretty good at faceoffs (and will likely get better). On defense, he is very reliable. He is a more physical player than Hodgson, not to say that Schroeder throws bone-crushing body checks. He is also showing a lot of potential (but without a lot of results, so far) that he can provide some offense.

Will Hodgson be the bigger point producer? Likely. Of the two of them, Schroeder will be the more valuable player.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#233 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Cody is playing first line minutes and Jordan is playing third/fourth.
Cody has three goals and Jordan has yet to score.
Cody is 40% in the circle against first line NHL-ers.
Jordan is 40% in the circle playing second line PP and against third liners.
It is what it is.

cody is a draft class older. cody is playing.with vanek.and.pomonville. cody has played one more game. cody has had 2 of his 3 pts literally bounce off him. cody has a +/- of 0. look I can say stuff too

Edited by TruCanuck, 29 January 2013 - 06:59 AM.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#234 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Yeah,and Cody missed a year in his development and the two are just eight months difference in age.
So,in reality Jordan is way behind if we are going to compare.
One is a bonafide NHL-er and one will go back to the A.

#235 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,746 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

I think Jordan Schroeder will have a similar impact to what Hodgson brought to the team last season.

I don't believe that COHO had much of an impact to this team at all...kind of like a ship passing in the night...I much prefer the Zack Kassian type of player. So...I hope Schroeder will be more of an impact player than COHO....

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#236 Bertuzzipunch

Bertuzzipunch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Loving this kid, which i knew i would when we drafted him.

I dont criticize AV very much but it does piss me off that he didnt give jordan a shot on the shootout last night. Jordan is a kid that goalies have no clue about and i bet he has some good moves, better than edler for sure.

Posted Image

#237 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I don't believe that COHO had much of an impact to this team at all...kind of like a ship passing in the night...I much prefer the Zack Kassian type of player. So...I hope Schroeder will be more of an impact player than COHO....

Hodgson had an impact that's why everyone is still talking about him
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#238 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

It seems only a month ago that many fans were stating that Jordon would never be an NHL player. He's at the beginning of his NHL career and I am hopeful he can remain with the team for the rest of the season.

Hodgson and Schroeder are intelligent players that will continue to develop their strengths and improve on their weaknesses.

If you must compare them, I think a two year timeline will tell the story.

Right now, I am thrilled about Schroeder's play. Nucks have four young players that clearly have made the jump to the NHL. There may be two more next year. Our future is looking much better than it did last year.

#239 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Does he have to be in order to fill the role he currently has, and will likely continue to have on this team?

Schroeder is already a better option than Hodgson if you are looking for a 3rd line center. He's a better skater, he is pretty good at faceoffs (and will likely get better). On defense, he is very reliable. He is a more physical player than Hodgson, not to say that Schroeder throws bone-crushing body checks. He is also showing a lot of potential (but without a lot of results, so far) that he can provide some offense.

Will Hodgson be the bigger point producer? Likely. Of the two of them, Schroeder will be the more valuable player.

regards,
G.

I have seen nothing from Schroeder that would make him a more valuable player than Hodgson.
Posted Image

#240 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Speed
Defense
Grit

Three things that are clearly more visible and better than hodgson

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.