The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames Thread - 12/13 Edition

Have to love the Flames strategy of shooting right into the goalie's chest protector in a shootout. And Tangs being the only one to deke the goalie scores. C'mon guys, take a frickin' hint already! Learn some moves! And coach, mind putting some young creative guys like Backlund and Baertschi in the shootout instead? K? Thanks. Good Talk. :picard:

It has nothing to do with Baertschi as a player but management's mindset of vets over youngsters that has existed for ages now. Backlund was flying tonight and yet he didn't get a chance in the shootout. Ditto for Baertschi who has also been playing well as was actually out there during the dying minutes of the 3rd, showing that the coaching staff isn't trying to shelter him but is also averse to trying him in the shootout, preferring to go with proven duds like Iginla and Stempniak instead.

What's worse though was the brutal neutral zone play tonight. Flames' breakout was dreadful all night and its no surprise the Canucks were driving the play for the most part. Thankfully, both goalies were better tonight, though Schneider had it very easy in the shootout due to 4 brain dead shots right into his chest.

Ugh, so frustrating!

I know, I find it more than a little disrespectful to see it here on our forum. Those guys hate our guts, they actively cheered against us and wished us ill in all four rounds of the 2010 cup run. They are not our friends. Their media lead the drumbeat that cast us as villains across Canada in the 2010 playoffs.

There isn't a chance in Hell that a Vancouver Canucks thread would be permitted over on their team site.

Let's keep it hostile.

Good to see Backlund score.

My favourite Flame has 2 points in 3 games to start the year.

The Flames had a pretty bad game, the Canucks did too though, so they didn't not look as bad, except in the first. Hartley relied on Iggy a lot, as expected... he played over 23 minutes.

But it is clear the Flames need a 1st line center... Hartley likes to rely on 1 line when the game is on the line and that line without a center is problematic.

Feaster better be talking to the Avs about O'Reilly, he's everything they need - 2-way and YOUNG. SJ just signed Gomez, so maybe one of their top-6 centers could be available, Marleau/Thornton/Pavelski/Couture?

It has nothing to do with Baertschi as a player but management's mindset of vets over youngsters that has existed for ages now. Backlund was flying tonight and yet he didn't get a chance in the shootout. Ditto for Baertschi who has also been playing well as was actually out there during the dying minutes of the 3rd, showing that the coaching staff isn't trying to shelter him but is also averse to trying him in the shootout, preferring to go with proven duds like Iginla and Stempniak instead.

What's worse though was the brutal neutral zone play tonight. Flames' breakout was dreadful all night and its no surprise the Canucks were driving the play for the most part. Thankfully, both goalies were better tonight, though Schneider had it very easy in the shootout due to 4 brain dead shots right into his chest.

Ugh, so frustrating!

Kassian was skating well and was very strong on the puck all night and more than once, the Sportsnet West guys were saying that he looked like Bertuzzi 2.0. His shootout move was also gorgeous! Versatile guy who has the ability to play in all top 9 situations. Just needs time to develop that consistency like all young players.

And just to make things even, there is a Canucks thread on the Flames forum and has been there for a while now. Also, CP isn't the only Flames fansite you know. My personal favourite is Flames Nation. Really good analysis and articles and quite unbiased I find. Matchsticks and Gasoline is pretty good as well though they don't churn out articles as fast as Flames Nation.

I have a lot of respect for classy fans like Gototheflames and Greene02. They represent their fan base very well. Classy and know how to stay on the right side of the line while visiting other fan sites. I appreciate the analysis that both offer. Thank you for enriching CDC.

I have a lot of respect for classy fans like Gototheflames and Greene02. They represent their fan base very well. Classy and know how to stay on the right side of the line while visiting other fan sites. I appreciate the analysis that both offer. Thank you for enriching CDC.

With Downie out for the season, I ended up picking up Kassian for my hockey pool. Was kind of hoping he wouldn't score vs Flames though. But atleast it looks like he may stay on the top line for a bit longer and keep getting me some pims.

Was also very disappointed with Hartleys selections for the shootout. Only one dangler and 4 shooters.

Overall seemed like a sloppy game by both teams in the first, but eventually Canucks picked up some steam. Keslers value to the team has been really showing the although it's only 3 games in.

I happen to know some of the top brass from the flames and leafs. There was a proposal put forward by their top executives to merge the flames and the leafs. This would solve several problems that both orginazations currently have.

1. It would solve the leafs goaltending problem.

2. It would solve both teams defensive liabilities

3. It would solve both teams offensive liabilities.

4. They would now have more draft picks stored up

5. Currently the leafs are worth a reported 600 million bucks and the flames around 3 million. so collectively they would now be worth 900 million according to the top executives from both teams.

6. They would have much more power in their fanbase to intellectually challenge canucks fans in arguments.

7. They would spend half as much on sticks.

upon releasing this info to lower management and coaches a fight broke out between jay feaster and dave nonis over who would gm the team. Aparantly Jay feaster was left laying on the floor with icing all over his face while dave nonis walked out with jays box of donuts. Bob Hartly and randy carlyle were seen hugging and crying in the back hall while jarome iginla and mikka kiprusoff had a viscious tug of war over a leafs jersey.

Once the accounting department of both teams emerged from a meeting and informed upper brass that they couldnt combine the respective values of the teams things kind of went sideways from there. Also their plan to base the team somewhere inbetween the two cities fell apart when they realized that was near winnepeg.

I guess us canuck fans will just have to wait to have some good ol canadian competion.

Archived