The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames Thread - 12/13 Edition

ok mini scouts. I'm sure you know a lot more than NHL scouts right? Have you even seen jankowski play? Nope so look at the numbers all you want. He's learning the defensive side of things on the 3rd line. Why wouldn't I like the trade....we got a fan favourite in the 2nd rounder in Sieloff. Guy wears an A for Windsor his first year

Jon Gillies though...... What a stud

Flames' drafting was atrocious until the last few years. Everyone knows that so no sure why you bothered to write all that :lol:

Anyways, Sutters are gone. Ken King won't go anywhere anytime soon so that's that. Feaster and Weisbrod have completely turned the drafting around. So there is absolutely zero point in basing Calgary's future on what it has done 10 years ago when the personnels are different.

I was puzzled by the Janowski pick as well, and of course it can be argued that there were better players there for the Flames to pick, and it's probably true. But that can be argued for almost any pick. We won't really know for another 5 or 6 years, so for now the jury is still out.

For the record, I've heard nothing but good things about Janowski since he was selected, that he was progressing very well, etc. So you never know.

What I don't understand, and this has been true for years.... why is it the Flames seem to hang the backup goaltenders out to dry so often? Curtis MacElhinney, Henrik Karlsson, Leland Irving.... it doesn't matter who it is, if Kipper isn't in goal, the Flames seem to play TERRIBLE team defence in front of them. That surely isn't helping anybody. Not the goalies who get shelled, not Kipper who can't take a night off because management doesn't trust the backups to win games, and not the team, who put themselves behind the 8 ball taking losses that shouldn't be losses.

Irving hasn't been magnificent, but he has been good. He's the reason the Canucks didn't win 8-1 or 9-1 the other night. Didn't look fantastic in the shootout, but Canuck fans of all people should know that a goalie's performance in a shootout isn't exactly the best measuring stick... :lol:

I follow Hockey East a little bit when I can(brother played in HE) and someone said on twitter that he had been disappointed with Jankowski's play.

I'm not sure if he meant for the whole season or if he was just going through a bad stretch of games.

Like others have said though, I'm sure Jankowski would have been available in rounds 2 or 3 and the Flames could have had a better player like Gaunce for instance.

I think flame's management mentality is this "As long as we are selling out the arena, who gives a a crap if our team does crap"

At this point, I really doubt they care about us flames fans. Everyone else is right to bash us.

Oilers and flames both didn't make playoffs in last 3 years but look at the drafting result of oilers and compare it to ours.

Management should learn when to tank. Iginla is pretty much done. he looks old and slow on the ice.

God save the flames :picard:

P.S. If the flames fans are ready to see their team tank, why can't the management?

Bjugstad, a big center taken in the first round, went straight from high school to NCAA and took the first halfish of the season to adjust, but then came on strong in the end. Now he's considered one of the best in college hockey

Jank has been playing a lot better since he came back from injury. Hopefully he's on Bjugstad's path!

I was puzzled by the Janowski pick as well, and of course it can be argued that there were better players there for the Flames to pick, and it's probably true. But that can be argued for almost any pick. We won't really know for another 5 or 6 years, so for now the jury is still out.

For the record, I've heard nothing but good things about Janowski since he was selected, that he was progressing very well, etc. So you never know.

What I don't understand, and this has been true for years.... why is it the Flames seem to hang the backup goaltenders out to dry so often? Curtis MacElhinney, Henrik Karlsson, Leland Irving.... it doesn't matter who it is, if Kipper isn't in goal, the Flames seem to play TERRIBLE team defence in front of them. That surely isn't helping anybody. Not the goalies who get shelled, not Kipper who can't take a night off because management doesn't trust the backups to win games, and not the team, who put themselves behind the 8 ball taking losses that shouldn't be losses.

Irving hasn't been magnificent, but he has been good. He's the reason the Canucks didn't win 8-1 or 9-1 the other night. Didn't look fantastic in the shootout, but Canuck fans of all people should know that a goalie's performance in a shootout isn't exactly the best measuring stick... :lol:

I think he's confusing Grigorenko with Girgensons, who is cutting his teeth as a pro in the AHL right now.

As for Jankowski, I don't know what to think of that pick. A 1st round pick in the NHL entry draft out of high school?

It's like drafting someone out of Junior B level hockey...it's difficult to assess talent at such a low amateur level.

It's one thing to take a chance on raw talent....completely another to burn a 1st round pick on a longshot like Jankowski.

The Flames were seemingly more hyped up on the kid than anyone else, so I am sure they could have had his rights for much less via trade.

ok mini scouts. I'm sure you know a lot more than NHL scouts right? Have you even seen jankowski play? Nope so look at the numbers all you want. He's learning the defensive side of things on the 3rd line. Why wouldn't I like the trade....we got a fan favourite in the 2nd rounder in Sieloff. Guy wears an A for Windsor his first year

Jon Gillies though...... What a stud

I am sure you think every Flames draft pick is a stud.....and I am sure you believe yourself to be completely objective in your assessments too :lol:

If one of those guys ends up playing 500 games in a Flames uniform, mission accomplished. Let's just hope they don't start trading with the Leafs again...

Archived