441 replies to this topic

#331 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

On another note, Iggy is playing his 1200th career game tonight! At home as well so he'll be pumped up tonight. Hopefully he pots a few!

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#332 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

He's been "awesome," has he? Awesome? Has the word "awesome" replaced "underwhelming" or "disappointing" in the dictionary now?So, you think Bouwmeester's 90 points and +/- -22 is "awesome" for 257 games played for the Flames? You think the $20,936,930 he's received for playing with the Flames so far has been warranted? That he's exceeded the expectations? Because that's what "awesome" is.Because if you really think about it and admit it to yourself, Jay Bouwmeester has been so far from "awesome" while on the Flames. Like a lot of people, I don't delight in the Flames crapping the bed, and I don't wish the fans horrible hockey. But seriously, please don't sit there and try and convince anyone, especially yourself because that's sad, that Bouwmeester has been anything other then a complete letdown since day one.

like I said last 3 years he was handcuffed by Brent Sutter. He plays 26 minutes a night against the other teams' top players. Without him we would've been even worse

Now he's given the green light he's playing like a top Dman

3499h5x.jpg

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

#333 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

like I said last 3 years he was handcuffed by Brent Sutter. He plays 26 minutes a night against the other teams' top players. Without him we would've  been even worse

Now he's given the green light he's playing like a top Dman

So he's had 246 below average games for the Flames, and 11 what you call "awesome" games this year?And you know what? Your Brent Sutter excuse is just that, an excuse. "Awesome" defensemen overcome and adapt to new systems. Look, I like Jay Bouwmeester, I do. I think he's a good defenseman. But he is far from great. His stats throughout his career have shown that, and his play has consistantly shown that.It's ok to admit when your wrong. I'm not saying that to be a douche or to sound superior. Hell, I'm wrong a lot. But trust me, I'm not wrong on this.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#334 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

If Jay keeps up his play of late, rather than "awesome", he'll be "finally worth close to what he's being paid".

Better late than never, I guess.
Posted Image

#335 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Jbo is a completely different player under Hartley. But 6.6mill a year is still an over payment.

Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#336 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

So he's had 246 below average games for the Flames, and 11 what you call "awesome" games this year?And you know what? Your Brent Sutter excuse is just that, an excuse. "Awesome" defensemen overcome and adapt to new systems. Look, I like Jay Bouwmeester, I do. I think he's a good defenseman. But he is far from great. His stats throughout his career have shown that, and his play has consistantly shown that.It's ok to admit when your wrong. I'm not saying that to be a douche or to sound superior. Hell, I'm wrong a lot. But trust me, I'm not wrong on this.

His stats in Florida seem fine to me. Him making the Canadian Olympics team at 22 only makes your opinion more wrong than me to be honest

Like I said, Brent specifically told Bouwmeester to stay back and not jump into the play. He doesn't have a big shot and his offense comes off the rush, of course he didn't get points here. 11 games in this year he has 3 goals, 1 or 2 less than his previous 3 years.

Obviously I didn't mean greatest Dman in the league, but he's playing like a top pairing Dman

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 15 February 2013 - 02:31 PM.

3499h5x.jpg

#337 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Congrats Iggy on 1200 games!
Posted Image

#338 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

His stats in Florida seem fine to me. Him making the Canadian Olympics team at 22 only makes your opinion more wrong than me to be honest

We're doing that, are we? Here's a list of some of Canada's "Awesome" hockey players from the 2006 Olympic team, who still actively playing:- Wade Redden- Robyn Regehr- Todd Bertuzzi- Simon Gagne- Dany Heatley- Vincent Lecavalier- Ryan SmythWould you say they have all been "awesome" the last couple years?

Like I said, Brent specifically told Bouwmeester to stay back and not jump into the play. He doesn't have a big shot and his offense comes off the rush, of course he didn't get points here.

So then, points aside, he must have done an "awesome" job defensively, right?

11 games in this year he has 3 goals, 1 or 2 less than his previous 3 years.

Obviously I didn't mean greatest Dman in the league, but he's playing like a top pairing Dman

For 11 games. Which doesn't make him "awesome," when the previous 3 years could only be discribed as brutal. 6 points with a -2 is not awesome, especially with a cap hit of $6,680,000.If he's "awesome," then so are:- James Wisnieski (CLB - not in playoffs right now): 11 gp, 6 points, -5- Keith Yandle (PHX - not in playoffs): 14 gp, 6pts, +/- 0- Mike Green (WSH - not in playoffs): 14 gp, 7 pts, +3- Francois Beauchemin (ANA - in playoffs): 12 gp, 6 pts, +10- Brian Campbell (FL - not in playoffs): 13 gp, 7 pts, -9- Christian Erhoff (BUF - not in playoffs): 13 gp, 6 pts, +/- 0- Sheldon Souray (ANA - in playoffs): 12 gp, 7 pts, +10- Ryan Suter (MIN - not in playoffs): 14 gp, 8 pts, -4- Fedor Tyutin (CLB - not in playoffs): 13 gp, 10 pts, -2- Marek Zidlicky (NJD - in playoffs): 13 gp, 6 pts, +/- 0I decided to throw in a defenseman in there that many people would say has been playing consistantly "awesome" over the past 3 years (Suter), and nobody would say he is playing well at all.Would you say James Wisnieski is a force right now? How about Fedor Tyutin? And Tyutin has more points than Bouwmeester. You know why nobody would? Because his last couple years have been statistically terrible (like Bouwmeester) and his team isn't in playoff position right now.Hell, Beauchemin and Souray are both playing way better than Bouwmeester and their team is in a playoff position; but nobody in their right mind would say they are "awesome."There are only 3 defenseman this year who are even close to being "awesome". That's Kevin Shattenkirk, Alex Pietrangelo, and Tobias Enstrom (barely).Oh yeah, there's another player as well. I forget his name, but he has 6 points in 11 games, is a -2, his team isn't in the playoff picture, he himself has never played a playoff game, and he gets paid $6,680,000 per year. Forget his name, but those stats sound like an "awesome" defenseman, don't they?

#339 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

All that write up with little to no substance for your argument, good job :lol:

One thing that Flames fans can't criticize is JBo's defence and his ability to eat big minutes, but I'm sure a stat guru like you wouldn't understand anything beyond points.

He's been awesome THIS YEAR because he's jumping into the play and creating chances.

typical ignorant hater :bored:

3499h5x.jpg

#340 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

One thing that Flames fans can't criticize is JBo's defence and his ability to eat big minutes, but I'm sure a stat guru like you wouldn't understand anything beyond points.

He's been awesome THIS YEAR because he's jumping into the play and creating chances.

Alright, well, as I said earlier, I don't hate the Flames and I don't hate Jay Bouwmeester. I think he's a good defenseman. But his play over the last 3 years cannot be called anything but sub-par. And his play this year has not been "awesome" either.I mean, if you want me to agree with you so that this can end, then fine. I'll agree with you if it makes you feel better. But here's the thing, everyone else knows he has not been great. So I'd just be agreeing with you just so you can say that you were right on an internet hockey board.Otherwise, I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say. You are really the first person I have heard say this over Jay Bouwmeester's entire playing career with the Flames. So I just find this whole thing rather odd. Even borderline retarded to be honest.

#341 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hahah - Monty's so mad, he forgot how to use paragraphs!

Edited by D-Money, 15 February 2013 - 04:56 PM.

Posted Image

#342 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hahah - Monty's so mad, he forgot how to use paragraphs!

I knew this was going to come up at some point, glad it was you. My work computer is absolutely trash. Sometimes when I put paragraphs in here, it takes, sometimes it doesn't. It's a total crapshoot. When I go to edit it, nothing. What's worse is that where I work, it's pretty bad that our computers are so budget. Trust me, it bothers me more then it bothers anyone else.

Edited by Monty, 15 February 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#343 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

4-0 for the Blues after the 1st period......

Well Ken King is a man of his word. He told fans at the beginning of the year that the best way to apologize to the fans was by there performance on the ice. And there play has certainly pleased the fans..... of the opposing teams :lol:

#344 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Allen's save was save of the year.

zackass.png

#345 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Good test against the blues tonight

So was that a fail? ;) :)
Posted Image

#346 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Gotta agree with Sven here, I've always thought J-Bo was only putting up sh*t offensive stats because of Sutter. He's a 40 point defenseman who can eat big minutes, he PROVED that in Florida.

The thing is, 3 years is a long time to be 'handcuffed', so I'll be surprised if he can return to the level he once was at.

As a Hartley fan boy, I'm hoping CGY slips into the playoffs under him.

#347 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Jay Boumeester is 20th on the Flames with a -20.9 relative corsi.
On the other hand, he gets the second least offensive zone starts (36.1%) and only Giordano faces a stronger quality of competition, so I wouldn't say his relative corsi numbers are terrible, but are not impressive either.
I'm not sure I'd say he's broken out into 'awesome' because of 3 goals, but he does eat big minutes and plays a good positional defensive game, but I think he'll have to turn those 3 goals into 12 or 15 before he can be taken off the shortlist of most overinflated cap hits in the NHL.

#348 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

Jay Boumeester is 20th on the Flames with a -20.9 relative corsi.
On the other hand, he gets the second least offensive zone starts (36.1%) and only Giordano faces a stronger quality of competition, so I wouldn't say his relative corsi numbers are terrible, but are not impressive either.
I'm not sure I'd say he's broken out into 'awesome' because of 3 goals, but he does eat big minutes and plays a good positional defensive game, but I think he'll have to turn those 3 goals into 12 or 15 before he can be taken off the shortlist of most overinflated cap hits in the NHL.

Although I think he is overpaid, he has also led CGY in TOI/G since he signed. Ballard is making 4.2 and is a 5th defenseman.

Of course, CGY is going to have to pay a little extra for a good player, why would anyone want to play there at the moment? I don't think signing J-Bo has been one of their worst moves. I think the way Sutter played him was a worse one.

#349 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Bouwmeester is 34th in the league scoring for defencemen with 6 points, and is -2.

It's true that he is not a complete failure this year, but I don't think I would call him 'awesome' by any stretch.

He is still not anywhere close to a 6.6 million dollar defenceman.

Proof that Flames media is delusional: Charlie Simmer picked the 3 stars in the 5-2 Blues win. Bouwmeester was one of the three stars.

Bouwmeester wasn't minus, but he had zero points. He was only on the ice for one of Calgary's goals, which was the goal that was set up by Anton Babchuk. He was also on the ice for the Berglund goal against, and he didn't look very good on that play at all.

Bouwmeester was paid to be an offensive player. He had no points, and yet, he was Calgary's best player? I think not.

Jake Allen, the young goalie, had 30 saves on 32 shots on the road. Last I checked, that's pretty damn good. I guess all the Calgary shots were limp-wristed sissy shots. Considering how dangerous Hudler, Tanguay and Cervenka are, Allen deserves a star for blanking all three of those superstars.

Nobody is a hater on this forum, Sven. The Flames are a non-factor, nobody cares about them. They are practically a free win for Vancouver almost every time. They will end up in 10 or 11th place at best, because that's all they are, a bubble team. Ken King and Jay Feaster would have you believe differently, but I can only feel pity for you if you buy into that nonsense.

You call people haters, I will use this image to describe what I think you are based on your comments up to this point:

Posted Image
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#350 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,066 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

The Flames have reassigned Leland Irving to Abbotsford Heat and recalled goaltender Danny Taylor.
http://bit.ly/12UhIbc

307mg00.jpg

#351 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Man, the post Kipper days are looking like they'll be brutal for you.

Jq9Htab.jpg

#352 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Corporate support may be there for Calgary,but not for long.,you can only loose so much and people get pissed off.lol I thought Irving was playing great.
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#353 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,066 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Danny Taylor (aka younger brother of SLU alum and Toronto real estate magnate Max Taylor) gets first NHL start for CGY tonight in PHX.

307mg00.jpg

#354 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

3 points back from 8th with 2 games in hand

Let's go Danny Taylor!

3499h5x.jpg

#355 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,770 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

3 points back from 8th with 2 games in hand

Let's go Danny Taylor!

Exactly where they will finish.
Posted Image

#356 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Exactly where they will finish.

wouldn't doubt it -_-

Hudler and Cervenka are playing great. Price tags look good so far

3499h5x.jpg

#357 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,066 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Flames' Giordano to have hearing for slew foot vs. Stars:

The National Hockey League will hold a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday for Calgary Flames defenceman Mark Giordano for a slew foot that took place on Sunday against the Dallas Stars.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie tweeted that it can be safely deduced that Girodano will be, at most, fined and not suspended. McKenzie wrote that if a suspension were possible, Giordano would not have played on Monday night in Calgary's game against the Phoenix Coyotes.

Giordano has one goal and two assists in 13 games for the Flames this season. The 29-year-old blueliner has never been suspended by the NHL before.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rce=twitterfeed

307mg00.jpg

#358 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

To think where the Flames were in 2004 to now is just sad. They were such a feared and hated team. Then Phaneuf started to decline and the trade that ruined everything happened.

Is that to say that Phaneuf held the team together? Absolutley not. But that was the beginning of the end. Everytime I see them play now, they just look like they are going through the motions.

It's one thing to knowingly go through a full on rebuild.  Your fans are ready for it and the team that the organization is icing looks "green." It looks like Feaster is trying to ice something competitive, but none of the parts are working out. It's just really sad.

Edited by Monty, 19 February 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#359 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

I see the Flames dropping down and taking a serious run at Seth Jones this year!

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#360 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

@SUNRandySportak
#Flames G Miikka Kiprusoff was back on skates today. Won't play for a bit yet. Won't go on coming road trip, either.

307mg00.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.