The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames Thread - 12/13 Edition

Flames homers like to make a big deal out of the Flames' 1st period, but in actuality it had more to do with the Sharks not having their legs early than anything else.

They looked more or less like the same old Flames tonight, except once SJ started skating, they ran away with the game.

Anything can happen, but I don't think Calgary is a Hudler and Cervenka away from a playoff berth.

Very sloppy all game, even in the 1st period. The BBC line was good but even they had issues.

The main problems had to do with Cammy being unable to play right wing and Tangs struggling with playing centre. That top line was horrible and the lack of a true centre is so apparent. There is a LOT more to playing C than just passing. Glenny isn't cut out for top line and Tangs needs to get back to LW.

Kipper was very shaky too I thought. Wasn't moving smoothly and he should have really had that 2nd goal.

Not a good start. The last 40 mins was classic Flames hockey, aka aimlessly skating around and being passive. Not good at all.

No, Hudler and Cervenka will be LW and C on the 3rd line with Stempniak, taking the place of Stajan and Horak. There is just a ton of good LW on Calgary: Cammy, Tangs, Glenny, Sven, Hudler...all of those guys are top 6 material. But there is a severe dearth of centres. If Cammy can adjust quickly to RW, then he'll be valuable to the Flames as they are weaker on the right.

I wouldn't mind trying Backs on the top line but he has such great chemistry with Baertschi that it might not make sense to break that up. But in the case that they do, Cammy could try to play 2nd line centre. Or for that matter, they should just try what they did last year with Cammy centring Tangs and Iggy, and Glenny could try to move into the 2nd line RW position.

3rd option is to trade one of the LW in an effort to get a centre but that'll likely end up with us overpaying.

I don't know what the solution is to this jigsaw puzzle but Hartley and co. need to find it fast if they have any hopes of making it to the playoffs.

I have to admit the Flames looked pretty good in the first 10 minutes yesterday. Between watching football and the channel blacking out I missed where the Sharks too over.

And as much as I like to bash the Flames I really liked the look of Backlund. Hopefully he gets more opportunity to grow.

Maybe it's because I'm overly critical but I didn't think the Flames were all that good in the 1st. They were sloppy with their passing, and were taking a ton of low percentage shots. And every time the D got a shot off, they kept aiming for the top part of the net, which just made it an easy save for Niemi rather than taking a low shot to get rebounds.

Couple of positives were Backlund playing very well and driving the play of the 2nd line and the PP that scored, JBo playing with a lot of jump and getting involved in the offense, and Gio being the only Dman being smart with the point shots. If Gio couldnt get a shot on net, he would get it off the end boards and into the slot for chances, which resulted in atleast 3 solid chances.

I'm hoping that tonight, Brodie will take the place of Smith or Sarich on the bottom pairing and that Irving takes the net. He needs to get into a game quickly before they start riding Kipper.

Well that's obvious (to all except Flames management) but in order to start a rebuild successfully by trading Iggy and Kipper, we first need them playing well enough to net a decent return. As such, the goal right now is to get the team going whether they want to blow it up or make the playoffs.

I agree with you. Keeping them here and gunning for the playoffs is a fools gambit and is only delaying the inevitable. That said, we can't change the past so hopefully, if they are well out of it around the 20th game, I hope Feaster will use his brain and pull the trigger where needed.

Though, something tells me that while it is likely that Kipper will be traded, Iggy will be resigned. If my hunch is correct, I sure hope it is CHEAP. Flames need all the help they can get to secure a top centre and they don't need to keep paying Iggy top dollar. If he wants to play for Calgary and wants to win in Calgary, he'll need to take a hefty pay cut to help the team. Otherwise, he needs to move. Flames need to take a hard, cup-focused stance on the matter.

Give it your best shot, Ossi. ;)

Inconsistency and crap goaltending strike again. Kipper's playing very tentatively and his reads are totally off. Not to mention, he is over committing and over challenging every shot. Not good at all. He needs bounce back ASAP.

And yes, Wideman had 2 assists but I'm already getting tired of him taking his own sweet time with the puck. In the 3rd period alone, he had about 2 or 3 points where his lazy, "smell the roses" approach to a breakout almost resulted in a turnover and a breakaway. People weren't kidding about him being a major defensive liability.

With the Nino trade request I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary lands Niederriter (sp?)

Considering Nino and Sven played together in Portland in the WHL and the Flames could use another young stud.

Archived