46 replies to this topic

#31 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I think our defence will be fine, i'm worried about offence. Sedin's are getting older, Kesler is not back... it is going to be interesting!

#32 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Poor assessment.
Posted Image

#33 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Hamhuis ,Garrison and Tanev are all defensive D men.

What the problem is and continues to be is offensive d men.

Eddy can be a superstar,but is not.

Bieksa is hit and miss and would be a liability without Dan.

Keith has offensive capabilities much higher than Kevin,but plays third line minutes.

Not quite. Our problem is puck-carrying defensemen. Guys who can pinch effectively, one-time, put quality shots on net and make good lead passes are not a problem. We just don't have much in the way of guys who can carry the puck to help us break through very defensive/trap teams.

Bieksa and Hammer don't tend to do this. They pass very well through the neutral zone but if it's all clogged up, our defense gets massively stifled.

Ballard can do this but I think this aspect of his game has been stifled a bit by our defensive system. If we loosen his reigns a bit we'll likely see him carry and use his speed more and suddenly everyone will think his contract isn't so awful.

Edler showed he can do it and seems to be gaining the confidence to do so. Tanev is a mystery because he's been on an awful Wolves team and any adjustments to our system will likely dictate how much this element of his game gets worked on.

So yeah, we have offensive defensemen, just not old-school, work it through the neutral zone guys which is why LA's extreme forecheck gave us so much trouble as did many highly-defensive teams. They could just play the same game every time they encountered us and we didn't really have an answer. So it's partially the players and partially the system but an injection of new blood with this skill or letting Ballard get back to his Florida game will make a significant difference.

Keswho.jpg

#34 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

MORE Yete troll threads?????
Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#35 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Still better than last year. TBH I'm more worried about offense. With Kesler out, we're very weak at centre and that's one of the positions you need to be strong at.

#36 lumberman

lumberman

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

now lets say this team makes the playoffs

and heres what you looking at

bieska hamius

garison edler

ok thats fine ^

but heres were it becomes comical

tanev and ballard

tanev is still unproven in the Nhl and in the Ahl so far he has not put up good numbers..... i dont even think he will take the spot........Because knowing coach AVs love affair!!! He will pop in Andrew Alberts haha with ballard

this spells disaster
I know you canuck fans who will say im trolling well im not you will see once the season starts....

The canucks did not improve on defense we lost sami salo he was a great defensive d-man with a hard shot go look at our record with Sami in the line up..........

now lets say this team makes the playoffs

and heres what you looking at

bieska hamius

garison edler

ok thats fine ^

but heres were it becomes comical

tanev and ballard

tanev is still unproven in the Nhl and in the Ahl so far he has not put up good numbers..... i dont even think he will take the spot........Because knowing coach AVs love affair!!! He will pop in Andrew Alberts haha with ballard

this spells disaster
I know you canuck fans who will say im trolling well im not you will see once the season starts....

The canucks did not improve on defense we lost sami salo he was a great defensive d-man with a hard shot go look at our record with Sami in the line up..........

Wow! deal not even signed, camp not even open, ( lots to happen, lots will happen to the roster) yet you poo-poo on the team. Congrat's on being Mr. Negative
Posted Image

#37 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I think you are over-estimating Alberts and Joslin here.

Not as much as yete underestimates our defence.

Once again, it's just yete trolling - in this and the other thread. Please everyone, just ignore him and he'll go away.

Edited by elvis15, 06 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#38 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Not as much as yete underestimates our defence.

That is true, but I do think we need to get another depth D that would be more reliable than Alberts. We need someone else who can play a shut down role in case of injuries.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#39 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Tanev - Ballard is not a bad pairing at all.

Yete you're just way too spoiled with how balanced this team is. Some 3rd pairings in the league are bush-league quality. Ballard-Tanev might be a 2nd pairing on some bottom feeders.

My only concern for the defense is how well Garrison plays. The success of our defensive lineup plays largely on Garrison - if he plays well, we're in good shape. If his 16 goal season was a fluke, we're in a lot of trouble.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#40 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Rome WAS a loss imo. Maybe not one that dooms us but he had pushback and I never thought he let us down.

I was among the few here that defended Rome the past two seasons. But we're not doomed without him.

Edited by Baggins, 06 January 2013 - 06:01 PM.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#41 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I was among the few here that defended Rome the past two seasons. But we're not doomed without him.

Rome ruined the counterattack/transition plays that the Canucks are good at. He just dumped the puck every time he regained the puck in his own zone, even without any forchecking pressure.

While he was defensively stable, he probably cost us potential goal-scoring chances to negate his value on defense.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#42 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

What is with all these negativity?
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#43 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Rome ruined the counterattack/transition plays that the Canucks are good at. He just dumped the puck every time he regained the puck in his own zone, even without any forchecking pressure.

While he was defensively stable, he probably cost us potential goal-scoring chances to negate his value on defense.

Gotta agree with this. I think letting Rome go was a sign that we were choosing Ballard's puck-moving ability and speed over Rome's off-and-on shutdown play and constant dump ins. When Ballard got the minutes he was good, the Kings series was a sign of that. I'm eager to see Ballard play more.

Keswho.jpg

#44 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

KC6 is up there too

#45 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

We've lacked defensive depth EVERY year.

Can't agree. 2 years ago in the playoffs we have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Salo, Ehrhoff and Ballard as our top 6. Then we had Rome, Alberts and Tanev as depth. On paper we had the deepest D in the league. What we lacked was variety. I would've given up 2 of our top 5 for a Pronger or Weber, unfortunately things don't work this way.
Posted Image

#46 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

What is with all these negativity?

omg, the boss troll himself asking this question? give your head a shake.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#47 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Trolling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.