The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis re: CBA news

Grape

Someone else suggested balancing the lines until Kess comes back? These would be very hard for coaches to stack match up problems for us as these are very either physical or fast + a Twin on each lends world class play making. And maybe the experiment as DeNiro suggested is Higgins at centre?

Booth/Hank/Kassian

Danny/Higgins/Burr (pretty crafty 2knd line..., probably takes 60% of top line draws depending on?)

Raymond/Lapierre/Hansen (Kassian and Hansen interchangeable based on who is "going")

Volpatti/Manny/Pinizotto

Weiss

Relax people, we'll be fine..the Sedins and Burr will carry us in to the p/o so who really cares about our temp vacant 2nd line C position..once We enter the playoffs, the beast named Kesler will be unleashed! Get ready!!!

Someone else suggested balancing the lines until Kess comes back? These would be very hard for coaches to stack match up problems for us as these are very either physical or fast + a Twin on each lends world class play making. And maybe the experiment as DeNiro suggested is Higgins at centre?

Booth/Hank/Kassian

Danny/Higgins/Burr (pretty crafty 2knd line..., probably takes 60% of top line draws depending on?)

Raymond/Lapierre/Hansen (Kassian and Hansen interchangeable based on who is "going")

Volpatti/Manny/Pinizotto

Weiss

No kidding. This guy is a sports writer, his entire job revolves around writing about hockey. Should he not know these things?

Even I knew you can't buy out a player till the summer. Should he not know as much as the average fan at least?

I didn't write a word of it. And evidently you don't really know enough about the player to make the assessment that he's not a good center.

The first quote comes from the Province (granted that's usually crap) - but in this case, it's (Kuzma) - ie. not uninformed.

The rest comes from Sportsnet, the Hockey News, hockeydb...

Here's one from Higgins himself - "my first couple of years [in Montreal] I played more center."

I'm of the opinion that Higgins is one hell of an intelligent two-way hockey player.

I'm not arguing that Schroeder doesn't deserve a shot, or that Ebbett is garbage, but I wouldn't be very comfortable with the two of them centering the 2nd and 3rd lines.

As much as I like those two players, Higgins is probably the best short term option for the 2nd.

It wont happen is all im trying to say.. Yes it is theoretically possible that higgins plays center. Hell it would open the wing for raymond to have a spot. But I just dont see it happening, I would bet money on malhotra getting the third line and schroeder getting the 2nd line with ebbet being in the pressbox.

Whether or not he can play center is not really the point. It is that he is generally very effective in his role as a winger who moves up and down the lineup as necessary and adds a lot more to this team in that role. Adding the defensive responsibilities a center has, faceoffs, pressure to anchor a scoring unit, etc. may reduce his effectiveness in those other areas or may force him to change his game more than a little bit. Weakening the wing to shore up the center position is not the best use of assets - especially if Raymond is his replacement as our utility winger. If AV is not going to use Ebbett or Schroeder then maybe MG should be looking at signing someone he will use until Kesler is back. Teams who win the cup generally fill holes without creating other holes...........food for thought.

Archived