11 replies to this topic

#1 bobby loocid dreamer

bobby loocid dreamer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

To Van- Sam Gagner, Ladislav Smid, Conditional 1st (1st for playoffs, 2nd if not)
To Edm- Roberto Luongo

Why for Van?  Van needs to get a good return for Luongo and the best team to trade with is Edmonton.  Gagner addresses our weakness at centre and Smid is a solid defenseman.  Landing mid 1st or an early 2nd in a deep draft is huge.

Why for Edmonton?  Luongo.  He will steal games.  They can afford his contract this year and in 5 years when they are maxed out, a 5.33 may be middle of the road in the NHL, or they can buy it out when its far more reasonable to do so.  Gagner is a solid young player but they are that in spades.  Smid becomes expendable with the signing of Schultz and the impressive progression of Klefbom.

Yes I know it is an interdivisional trade but its a good one and both teams would be happy. . . a Hockey Trade of sorts.
Go Batman!

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

This is like Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st but in reverse order.

Thus, it seems I have entered

Posted Image

/=S=/

#3 nucklehead44

nucklehead44

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Screw it, one for one. Taylor Hall for Lu
Col GM - Prestige Worldwide

#4 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Giving Edmonton a quality goalie would certainly come back to bite us.

Unless Edmonton is willing to give us one of their young stars (which they aren't), we shouldn't make this trade.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#5 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

What if EDM went hard after Schneider, and offered one of Hall/Eberle/Yakupov straight across for Schneids. Should Gillis do it? And for which one (if any) would you do? I'd personally do the deal for any 1 of the 3, then keep Luo as our #1 and hope Lack pans out.
Posted Image

#6 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

What if EDM went hard after Schneider, and offered one of Hall/Eberle/Yakupov straight across for Schneids. Should Gillis do it? And for which one (if any) would you do? I'd personally do the deal for any 1 of the 3, then keep Luo as our #1 and hope Lack pans out.

RNH or bust

Posted Image

#7 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

RNH or bust

He's the most untouchable of their "big 4" I'd say. But you never know, desperation mode may be kicking in for EDM
Posted Image

#8 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Edmonton will not trade any of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz. Highly unlikely are Yakupov, Klefbom, Petry, Smid.

IF there were to be a trade between the two teams, it would likely have Gagner as the centre piece going to the Canucks.

Gagner, Dubnyk FOR Luongo

#9 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'd do it!

Gagner is a retainable asset; a restricted free agent when his contract expires. He's also pretty talented as his 49 point rookie season (at the age of 18) and his 8 point game indicate. Also a right handed shot. For my money he's better than Bozak!

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Edmonton will not trade any of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz. Highly unlikely are Yakupov, Klefbom, Petry, Smid.

I could see them trading Hall before they trade Yakupov.
Either way, it would have to be some sort of gross overpayment, and it wouldn't be worth it for us.

Edited by Jägermeister, 08 January 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image

#11 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Edmonton needs Gagner. They have no other 2nd line center. Smid is their best defenseman right now. And a 1st. Gillis would jump at that package. Edmonton won't.

The Oilers have already decided they're going to run with Dubnyk. He was their full-time starter after the halfway point of last year and put up good numbers after that.

Plus I wouldn't want Luongo to come back and rob us.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#12 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,379 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Doesn't make sense for Vancouver.
Smid is a UFA, and where would he fit in the lineup - Gagner is not my idea of a third line center - he's a typical offensive zone start type guy, not physical, not much battle down low - not a good option to trade for a guy who may suit the role of filling in for Kesler for a few months, and then is not a very good fit. And qualifying him means at least 3.5 million, in addition to what Smid would command - not a good idea with a 64 million cap ceiling and Edler, Higgins, Lapierre etc to re-sign.

Edmonton will be shopping for a blueline, not selling their most viable guy. Whitney, Smid and Sutton are all UFAs next year. Whitney's over-rated and I doubt they re-sign him, Sutton is under-rated but he isn't getting any younger - Smid they will need to re-sign and will probably work hard to do so, or would want a roster blueliiner in return.

Luongo, Connauton

Eberle, Pitlick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.