The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-EDM

To Van- Sam Gagner, Ladislav Smid, Conditional 1st (1st for playoffs, 2nd if not)

To Edm- Roberto Luongo

Why for Van?  Van needs to get a good return for Luongo and the best team to trade with is Edmonton.  Gagner addresses our weakness at centre and Smid is a solid defenseman.  Landing mid 1st or an early 2nd in a deep draft is huge.

Why for Edmonton?  Luongo.  He will steal games.  They can afford his contract this year and in 5 years when they are maxed out, a 5.33 may be middle of the road in the NHL, or they can buy it out when its far more reasonable to do so.  Gagner is a solid young player but they are that in spades.  Smid becomes expendable with the signing of Schultz and the impressive progression of Klefbom.

Yes I know it is an interdivisional trade but its a good one and both teams would be happy. . . a Hockey Trade of sorts.

What if EDM went hard after Schneider, and offered one of Hall/Eberle/Yakupov straight across for Schneids. Should Gillis do it? And for which one (if any) would you do? I'd personally do the deal for any 1 of the 3, then keep Luo as our #1 and hope Lack pans out.

What if EDM went hard after Schneider, and offered one of Hall/Eberle/Yakupov straight across for Schneids. Should Gillis do it? And for which one (if any) would you do? I'd personally do the deal for any 1 of the 3, then keep Luo as our #1 and hope Lack pans out.

I'd do it!

Gagner is a retainable asset; a restricted free agent when his contract expires. He's also pretty talented as his 49 point rookie season (at the age of 18) and his 8 point game indicate. Also a right handed shot. For my money he's better than Bozak!

Edmonton needs Gagner. They have no other 2nd line center. Smid is their best defenseman right now. And a 1st. Gillis would jump at that package. Edmonton won't.

The Oilers have already decided they're going to run with Dubnyk. He was their full-time starter after the halfway point of last year and put up good numbers after that.

Plus I wouldn't want Luongo to come back and rob us.

Doesn't make sense for Vancouver.

Smid is a UFA, and where would he fit in the lineup - Gagner is not my idea of a third line center - he's a typical offensive zone start type guy, not physical, not much battle down low - not a good option to trade for a guy who may suit the role of filling in for Kesler for a few months, and then is not a very good fit. And qualifying him means at least 3.5 million, in addition to what Smid would command - not a good idea with a 64 million cap ceiling and Edler, Higgins, Lapierre etc to re-sign.

Edmonton will be shopping for a blueline, not selling their most viable guy. Whitney, Smid and Sutton are all UFAs next year. Whitney's over-rated and I doubt they re-sign him, Sutton is under-rated but he isn't getting any younger - Smid they will need to re-sign and will probably work hard to do so, or would want a roster blueliiner in return.

Luongo, Connauton

Eberle, Pitlick

Archived