116 replies to this topic

#1 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I am surprised there is no thread about the Idle No More Movement on this forum. So I am starting one now. What do you think of the Movement?

Today the federal government released an audit of Chief Spence's Attawapaiskat Band.

It found a lack of documentation in 80 percent of transactions. It showed $100 million was given to the band in six years.

http://www.montrealg...4927/story.html

Edited by DonLever, 07 January 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#2 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

The federal government will do anything and everything to discredit this movement
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#3 pistolpro327

pistolpro327

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I honestly don't see what the mismanagement of that band has to do with the movement it is unfortunate that one of the founding leaders of the movement has to be involved in those shenanigans but IMO the "movement" is a good one.

It is calling on Canadians and even citizens worldwide to take a stand against the corporate run greed filled politics that run our countries today.

It will be interesting to see how this movement progresses and what comes of it in the future.

That's really all I have to say for now I guess.

Also I guess I really don't acknowledge Spence as a leader in this movement but she has got a lot of attention.

It's pretty stupid how she is putting on a front like she is starving blah blah I want to meet with Harper personally etc.... sounds like a greedy band with greedy leaders trying to get another hundred mill.

Other then that the movement is good and spence and her needs shouldn't be the focus in this movement.

Edited by pistolpro327, 07 January 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#4 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,719 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

POPULAR

The federal government will do anything and everything to discredit this movement

From day 1, Spence has been discrediting herself. Missing money ($104 million!), giving cushy jobs to romantic partners, "hunger" strikes, refusing to meet with key people such as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development minister John Duncan while settling for third-party leader candidate Trudeau Jr.

If this was a municipal government, the entire council and mayor would be sacked, and audits conducted to find how hundreds of millions of dollars disappeared. Alas, this is a native issue, and because of that, any criticism of Idle No More means you are a racist, anti-native, pro-oppressionist, Harperite, and anything of that realm.

#5 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,719 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

"I think it would be a good thing. We need to clean up our financial crisis here in Attawapiskat because it's been like this too long now[...]I was happy to hear the federal government was stepping in to clean the mess up[...]If our leaders have nothing to hide, by all means do it." - Greg Shisheesh, Attawapiskat lifetime resident and former deputy chief of the reserve

"It's bad enough that we're under the Indian Act, but it just seems like our leadership becomes the oppressor in the end[...]It's always been like that[...]Everybody always thinks they have answers for the people. They like to have the control over our lives. But there are people who are educated and outspoken in the community who are told to be quiet. because in the end it's always the chief and council that have a say about the community. Outsiders always look to the chief and council for answers and not to the people." - A reserve member, who didn't want to be identified, said leadership on the reserve is like a dictatorship.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-residents.html

These aren't federal government agents doing the quotes; these are Attawapiskat residents - people who have a stake in their community, have Spence as their leader, and clearly are fed up with her "leadership".

#6 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Do not forget that Attawapiskat was under co-management with the AANDC (Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada) for ten years before the the federal government sought unsuccessfully to put a third party manager in place.

That was found unreasonable by the Federal Court in a decision on August 1, 2012.

The Federal Court said today in a judicial review that it was "unreasonable" for the federal government to appoint a third-party manager in Attawapiskat last fall as the Ontario community was dealing with a housing crisis.

Attawapiskat First Nation had applied to the court for a judicial review of the decision by Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan to have a third-party manager take control of the community's finances.

The northern Ontario reserve had been under co-management for 10 years before the third-party manager was appointed in November 2011 in response to a housing crisis that generated headlines for weeks.

The community of 2,000 declared a state of emergency last October after a severe housing shortage forced more than two dozen families to live in temporary shelters, some without insulation or plumbing.

"This judicial review confirms, if such confirmation were needed, that decisions made in the glare of publicity and amidst politically charged debate do not always lead to a reasonable resolution of the relevant issue," Justice Michael Phelan wrote.

He said there is no evidence to support the accusations from critics that Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Duncan and other cabinet members acted in a reprehensible way, and said the problem in this case lies not "at the feet of the political masters, but in the hands of the bureaucracy."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...urt-ruling.html

According to that decision the judge was concerned that the AANDC bureaucracy had not in fact identified any substantive reasons why the change to a third party manager was warranted despite the fact was the government bureaucracy was a co-manager for 10 years.

Maybe the persons who should be fired are the AANDC bureaucrats involved as co-managers because pretty obviously they were not doing their jobs to provide professional assistance to the elected and appointed band administrators.

Mind you had the audit that came several weeks afterwards been available, perhaps that might have changed the decision.

However the question remains what the heck were the AANDC bureaucrats doing while the massive deficiencies identified by the audit were taking place? They should have been helping to put proper record keeping and accounting systems in place.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#7 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae's take on the Theresa Spence hunger strike and the underlying issues.

Chief Spence's hunger strike, carried out with dignity and determination, and the broader Idle No More campaign, which has gone beyond the traditional politics both within and outside the Aboriginal community, are based on a deep sense of frustration, of promises broken, of conditions that no people in Canada should have to accept. Federal and provincial governments face a fire of resentment and anger not next time, but this time. To ignore it, as the Conservatives and some provinces have done, is to court disaster.

It is a universal in life that people want recognition and respect. The deeper meaning of last year's summit, and the Prime Minister's eloquent apology in the House of Commons, is that there is a hunger for this respect, and appreciation when it is offered and followed with effective action. The Prime Minister faces a deep challenge. Many in his party are opposed to the recognition and constitutional protection that Aboriginal people have achieved, and to its implications. At the same time, the old bromides of assimilation and "let's concentrate on education and the economy" completely ignore the aspirations for self-government, autonomy, and a real transfer of power and resources that have the deepest roots in today's aboriginal politics. Mr. Harper's apology in the House of Commons, and the summit he called last year, have simply not been followed by effective action.
The issues Chief Spence is raising -- issues of terrible living conditions, of deep neglect, of poverty and powerlessness -- will not go away, and will not disappear in the face of attack. They are the shame of our nation and they must be addressed.

The Conservatives have rejected replacing the Indian Act with a real transfer of power, and the implementation of the self government agreements which all Canadian governments agreed to do in Charlottetown twenty years ago. They show no understanding of the significance of treaties and the meaning of a "nation to nation" relationship.

http://www.huffingto...m_hp_ref=canada

BTW someone should remind Bob Rae that the Charlottetown Accord was rejected in a public referendum.
http://en.wikipedia....ottetown_Accord

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#8 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

can someone please remind me again why my tax dollars have to go as not only free handouts, but free handouts in addition to whatever % the corrupt chiefs decide to siphon off for themselves??

what is the rationale that in 2013, certain groups of individuals still think they are more privilidged/special then everyone else?

why is it racist for everyone in canada to use the "i was here first" card except for aboriginals??

some politically sensitive/but logical questions that i doubt anyone could really answer.

this sense of entitelment must end. its never going to be enough, there will always be more people asking for more

the "idle no more" movement should really look in the mirror if they want to look for people to blame.

Edited by sam13371337, 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM.

Fire MG

#9 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

can someone please remind me again why my tax dollars have to go as not only free handouts, but free handouts in addition to whatever % the corrupt chiefs decide to siphon off for themselves??

what is the rationale that in 2013, certain groups of individuals still think they are more privilidged/special then everyone else?

why is it racist for everyone in canada to use the "i was here first" card except for aboriginals??

some politically sensitive/but logical questions that i doubt anyone could really answer.

this sense of entitelment must end. its never going to be enough, there will always be more people asking for more

the "idle no more" movement should really look in the mirror if they want to look for people to blame.

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with what can be accomplished by this movement and the questions that are being asked by them before posting?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 07 January 2013 - 05:30 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#10 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,719 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with what can be accomplished by this movement and the questions that are being asked by them before posting?

At best, this will lead to a scraping of the Indian Act in its entirety and any other affirmative action clauses. At worst, this becomes Occupy 2.0 (and let's face it...it's already beginning with the CN blockades and the border crossing obstructions.)

#11 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

The rationale? Because our Constitution (being the supreme law of the land) mandates it.

PART VII

GENERAL
52. (1) The Constitution of Canada is the supreme law of Canada, and any law that is inconsistent with the provisions of the Constitution is, to the extent of the inconsistency, of no force or effect.
(2) The Constitution of Canada includes

(a) the Canada Act, 1982, including this Act;

(b) the Acts and orders referred to in the Schedule; and

(c) any amendment to any Act or order referred to in paragraph (a) or (b).

(3) Amendments to the Constitution of Canada shall be made only in accordance with the authority contained in the Constitution of Canada.

And since the aboriginal bands were in fact here before European settlement and the British Crown by way of the Royal Proclamation of 1763 recognized and affirmed aboriginal title in the land requiring that land and rights could only be surrendered by way of treaties negotiated on a nation to nation basis with each band having equal status as a party with the Crown. That situation does not apply to persons other than aboriginals and their descendants so a good reason why they can make that claim, eh?

Our Constitution specifically references the Royal Proclamation of 1763 and that all aboriginal and treaty rights are protected - past, present and future - and that general Charter rights cannot be "construed so as to abrogate or derogate from any aboriginal, treaty or other rights or freedoms that pertain to the aboriginal peoples of Canada".

PART I
Section 25 of the Charter of Rights:

25. The guarantee in this Charter of certain rights and freedoms shall not be construed so as to abrogate or derogate from any aboriginal, treaty or other rights or freedoms that pertain to the aboriginal peoples of Canada including

(a) any rights or freedoms that have been recognized by the Royal Proclamation of October 7, 1763; and

(b) any rights or freedoms that may be acquired by the aboriginal peoples of Canada by way of land claims settlement.

PART II
RIGHTS OF THE ABORIGINAL PEOPLES OF CANADA
35. (1) The existing aboriginal and treaty rights of the aboriginal peoples of Canada are hereby recognized and affirmed.
(2) In this Act, "aboriginal peoples of Canada" includes the Indian, Inuit, and Metis peoples of Canada.
(3) For greater certainty, in subsection (1) "treaty rights" includes rights that now exist by way of land claims agreements or may be so acquired.
(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, the aboriginal and treaty rights referred to in subsection (1) are guaranteed equally to male and female persons.

Since people other than aboriginal people do not possess aboriginal rights it seems pretty clear why their rights are different from those of other Canadians. And where aboriginal rights conflict with other generally rights they prevail.

I trust that answers your questions.

I have a question... do they not teach this very basic part of our history and our laws as part of the public school educational curriculum?

#12 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I trust that answers your questions.

I have a question... do they not teach this very basic part of our history and our laws as part of the public school educational curriculum?

you did not understand my question at all.
Fire MG

#13 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

not buying it.

if you have the aboriginal communities genuine interest in heart, then there are far far better battles to pick..

if you just want to milk (blackmail) the federal government for more hand-outs, then this is the way to go.

thats how i base my conclusions.

Edited by sam13371337, 07 January 2013 - 06:13 PM.

Fire MG

#14 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

you did not understand my question at all.

I understood the question(s) perfectly well.

Maybe you simply did not like the answers?

#15 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I understood the question(s) perfectly well.

Maybe you simply did not like the answers?

i did not ask for the legal justification of why it's happening.

I was already quite aware that it's the law, and a google search away from getting the exact text associated with that.

I asked rhetorically about the moral justifications of it.

PS. constitutional laws are not set in stone. there have been many laws that have been altered with the passing of time.

Edited by sam13371337, 07 January 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Fire MG

#16 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

From day 1, Spence has been discrediting herself. Missing money ($104 million!), giving cushy jobs to romantic partners, "hunger" strikes, refusing to meet with key people such as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development minister John Duncan while settling for third-party leader candidate Trudeau Jr.

If this was a municipal government, the entire council and mayor would be sacked, and audits conducted to find how hundreds of millions of dollars disappeared. Alas, this is a native issue, and because of that, any criticism of Idle No More means you are a racist, anti-native, pro-oppressionist, Harperite, and anything of that realm.

I agree with you .. mis-management of Band funds is rampant, and has been for many years .. I have spent my life working with and teaching natives all over BC, and the biggest disservice these "corrupt" Band administrations do is to their own people ..

Oh, and Miz Spence could use some "slimming down", so you go hungry girl .. B)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#17 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

i did not ask for the legal justification of why it's happening.

I was already quite aware that it's the law, and a google search away from getting the exact text associated with that.

I asked rhetorically about the moral justifications of it.

PS. constitutional laws are not set in stone. there have been many laws that have been altered with the passing of time.

Moral justification?

Binding promises were made dating back to the Royal Proclamation of 1763 and followed up with treaties that have been entrenched in our Constitution It is moral to keep to those promises.

These particular entrenched provisions will be extremely difficult to change. A number of constitutional scholars and lawyers believe that aboriginal rights cannot be amended without the consent of a clear majority of aboriginal people even if the other constitutional amending thresholds are met.

This seems correct to me based upon the SCOC reasoning in the Reference re Secession of Quebec, [1998] 2 S.C.R. 217.

#18 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

An interesting article from Andrew Coyne on the Idle No More movement - note how it is in many ways similar to the Occupy Movement.

If it does nothing else, the Idle No More movement of the past few weeks will have provided a valuable lesson in why so many aboriginal Canadians remain so chronically destitute — why progress has been so frustratingly elusive, and why it is likely to remain so.

The movement, with its vast and ill-defined agenda, its vague and shifting demands, its many different self-appointed spokespersons, is open to any number of different interpretations. But the absolutist rhetoric, the dismissal of dissenting opinion as so much “racism,” and above all, the rigid insistence on adhering to the same approaches that have so signally failed to date, do not suggest a happy future for aboriginal relations.

Ostensibly the movement’s ire is directed at the Harper government, though for reasons that are not widely understood. The four Saskatchewan women whose protests first ignited the movement may have been focused on Bill C-45, the omnibus budget bill — notably its provisions relaxing federal oversight of navigable waterways and lowering the threshold of democratic approval needed for bands to authorize development on reserve land.

But as more and more putative leaders have jumped in front of the parade, from Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence to the Mi’kmaw activist and Ryerson University Chair in Indigenous Governance Pam Palmater, the checklist has expanded to include the whole of the Harper government’s approach to aboriginal issues. Contrary to early media reports, it is not Harper’s neglect that inspires their wrath, but rather his activism.

In Palmater’s writings, the Harper agenda is nothing less than the deliberate “genocide” of aboriginal peoples, in the most literal sense of the word: not merely their “assimilation” or “termination,” in the ambiguous terminology preferred by other native leaders, but their complete elimination, “socially, culturally, legally and physically.” Though her most oft-cited specific evidence of this is the reduction in funding to aboriginal activist groups, she is in no doubt that the Harper agenda is about “getting rid of Indians once and for all.”

Nor is she alone in this belief. Here’s Daniel Wilson, former senior director with the Assembly of First Nations: “Indigenous death and despair serve the government’s purpose … through underfunding and interference with local governance, the current government is starving people off reserves [to] make it easier for the government’s friends in the oil, gas and mining industries to go about their business unhindered.”

How is this murderous agenda being pursued? Among the dozen or so bills activists cite are the following: Bill S-8: The Safe Drinking Water for First Nations Act; Bill S-2: The Family Homes on Reserve and Matrimonial Interests or Right Act; Bill S-6: The First Nations Elections Act; and Bill C-27: The First Nations Financial Transparency Act. Oh, and: Bill S-212: The First Nations Self-Government Recognition Bill. Those monsters.

If you are puzzled how providing safe drinking water or recognizing self-government add up to genocide, well, you need to take responsibility for your own racism. But here’s the thing. If you interpret Harper’s motives and actions in such a fantastic light, then it is not just his government you must denounce: it is anyone who collaborates with it.

And indeed, the longer Idle No More has gone on, the more it has become clear it is not so much a dispute between aboriginal Canadians and the Harper government, but between rival factions in the aboriginal community: between modernizers such as former chief Manny Jules, chairman of the First Nations Tax Commission, or Assembly of First Nations Chief Shawn Atleo, who are prepared to work with the Harper government, and what one might call the fundamentalists, such as Palmater.

The fundamentalists represent the traditional agenda of aboriginal activists, focused heavily on the legal and political arena. In this model, the advancement of aboriginal peoples is at heart a collective matter, based on treaty rights, land claims and reserves under communal property ownership.

The modernizers would not, I think, deny the importance of much of this. But their focus is less on abstract constitutional principles and more on giving individual natives and bands the tools they need to participate in a modern, market-based economy: education, for example, and property rights, a particular concern of Jules (he is co-author of Beyond the Indian Act: Restoring Aboriginal Property Rights).

For Palmater and her followers, this is at best weakness, at worst betrayal. “The days of waiting for the AFN to do something are over,” she writes. Last year’s Crown-First Nations Gathering was a particular object of scorn: “Clearly, the AFN has crossed the line and no longer works on our behalf.” The Joint Action Plan that emerged from it, with its emphasis on education, accountability and economic development, is “the beginning of the end if we let it happen.”

Having been defeated last summer in her bid to unseat Atleo as AFN chief, Palmater evidently sees Idle No More as a chance for a do-over. Atleo, she writes, is in the “same category” as Senator Patrick Brazeau, “who acts as Harper’s mouthpiece tearing apart First Nations at every chance he gets.” Still worse is Jules, “who now promotes the destruction of reserves and the biggest assimilation policy plan created in recent years.”

So as Harper and aboriginal leaders prepare to meet again, we should be under no illusion this will settle anything. For those, such as Palmater, who regard “individual opportunity” as “code words,” who insist the way forward is to return to “our traditional ways of governing, learning, trading, sustaining and relating,” such co-operation is not the solution. It’s the problem.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/01/07/andrew-coyne-idle-no-more-movement-is-a-dispute-between-rival-factions-in-the-aboriginal-community/

#19 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

A year ago the CBC and Adrienne Arsenault were on site and the problems with the leadership were obvious.

As Jonathan Kay writes in Six lessons from a brilliant, scathing year-old CBC report on Attawapiskat’s mismanagement:

CBC News made headlines on Monday by publicizing a scathing audit report on Attawapiskat, the impoverished northern Ontario Cree community led by hunger-striking chief Theresa Spence.

Yet you’ll find an even more searing indictment of Attawapiskat’s leadership in a televised report from the CBC’s Adrienne Arsenault. That segment is a year old, but it’s getting a new life on the internet thanks to a Twitter-based resurrection campaign led by blogger Richard Klagsbrun.

Watch the video: It’s shocking how many important lessons from Attawapiskat Ms. Arsenault manages to pack into just eight minutes.

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/1ynaC8f5ues

And the remainder of Kay's article that lays out the six lessons:
  • The idea that the destitution of far-flung First Nations such as Attawapiskat is a result of Ottawa’s neglect is wrong. Ms. Arsenault’s quick tour of Attawapiskat — a place that then was supposed to have been in a housing crisis — shows a half-dozen well-constructed houses with no one living in them. When questioned about this total waste of resources, Chief Theresa Spence has no real answer.
  • In fact, Ms. Arsenault’s reporting suggests that the real problem in Attawapiskat is Ms. Spence’s own incompetent leadership — in which capacity she is aided by her live-in boyfriend Clayton Kennedy, who serves as the community’s manager. Neither apparently can be bothered to fill out the paperwork required to get needed resources from Ottawa, or even supply basic accounting information. When Ms. Arsenault bluntly asks Mr. Kennedy whether its appropriate for the chief’s unelected romantic partner to be running the place, he answers that it’s “nobody’s business.” (A decade ago, Art Eggleton got thrown out of federal cabinet for awarding a research project to a former girlfriend. Yet Ms. Spence has become a “grass roots” hero after giving an even cushier job to her current boyfriend.)
  • Ms. Arsenault didn’t intend to profile Attawapiskat’s economy. But she did a good job of it nonetheless. Take a look at every backdrop: Every home is made from materials transported from hundreds of miles away. The temperatures are frigid, so every home goes through gallons of heating fuel daily. All the chairs and paneling in the leaders’ conference room, all the North Face coats, all of the snowmobiles and hockey equipment — it’s all flown in from Timmins or elsewhere, or trucked in on winter roads at high expense. This might be one of the most expensive places in the world to operate a human settlement. Yet the town itself has zero private economy — except for a few cafés and the like. There is a major diamond mine in the region. Yet we do not meet anyone who has any sort of high-tech job skills, or any way of achieving them in Attawapiskat. Put aside culture for a moment: In economic terms, Attawapiskat exists as a pure sinkhole for resources produced elsewhere.
  • Perhaps the most pitiful scene in the whole piece is the one in which Ms. Arsenault examines the masses of boxes containing (apparently useful) donations from concerned Canadians. Yet until Ms. Aresenault came around, no one had even bothered opening them up: Ms. Spence complains that she couldn’t get “volunteers” to do the job. That in itself is a damning indictment of the state of civil society in Attawapiskat. We are always told that the preservation of reserves is a great way to maintain First Nations culture. But the opposite is true: The best way to destroy a group’s spirit of civic solidarity is to turn the economy into an outsider-funded cargo cult; whereby the locals’ only “job” is to sit around waiting for handouts — to such extent that apparently even rousing themselves to rip open cardboard and plastic is seen as too taxing.
  • Far from being idolized by Attawapiskat residents, Ms. Spence seems to be regarded with a mixture of suspicion and exasperation — in large part due to her cronyism. Local reserve resident Lindy Mudd, interviewed at length by Ms. Arsenault, states quite clearly that he is ashamed by the manner in which Ms. Spence has made Attawapiskat a poster-child of native poverty. Ironically, Ms. Spence is far more popular with naïve, white Naomi Klein types who venerate her from afar as a sort of Gaian martyr than with the people who actually have suffered under her incompetence.
  • Ms. Arsenault gave Ms. Spence and her lover a chance to address all of these points on air. And yet whenever given this opportunity, all they could do was assert self-righteous but extremely vague complaints about Ottawa — even when they were asked explicitly about decisions they had made that had resulted in the squandering of federal aid. This itself is a telling spectacle: We have gotten to the stage in First Nations politics whereby you no longer even have to string a logical sentence together to connect a problem on the ground with Ottawa’s blundering or malfeasance. Turning the feds into all-purpose bogeymen is convenient for Ms. Spence, but it also effectively destroys the very idea of sovereign native self-government — since the very notion of a government responsible for its own citizens is ludicrous if every problem is casually passed off as the white man’s fault.
Attawapiskat gets about $17-million a year from Ottawa. But as the audit report shows, we have very little idea how that money is spent. “In a letter dated Sept. 20, 2012, that was written by Deloitte to Chief Theresa Spence and copied to the Department of Aboriginal Affairs, [the] auditing firm says that of 505 transactions reviewed, more than 400 lacked proper documentation,” CBC News reports. “The letter to Spence also says there is ‘no evidence of due diligence on the part of Attawapiskat of funding provided by Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada for housing projects and Health Canada for health-related projects.’ ”

Nothing in the CBC report, or in Ms. Arsenault’s year-old report, suggest that Ms. Spence or the people around her are stealing money. Instead, they collectively present an image of a massively unproductive, high-cost, sociologically infantilized and dysfunctional welfare state, run by poorly trained and educated locals who have little political legitimacy and no tax base — all of it overseen by an Ottawa bureaucracy that is itself beleaguered and only semi-functional.

The idea that these problems can be solved by giving more power and more money to leaders such as Ms. Spence is nonsensical. What we need instead is a candid discussion about whether communities such as this should remain in existence as subsidized entities.

Mr. Mudd says “There’s nothing here for my kids.” He plans to move away. Like other people interviewed by Ms. Arsenault, he wonders openly about whether anyone has a future in Attawapiskat.

The rest of us should be asking the same questions (and not just Ezra Levant, who’s been highlighting this stuff since 2011) — never mind the accusations of cultural genocide that surely will follow.

Ms. Spence is attracting the lion’s share of attention with her hunger strike in Ottawa. But the real issues lie 950 km away, in the well-funded wasteland she calls home.
http://fullcomment.n...-mismanagement/

Edited by Wetcoaster, 08 January 2013 - 02:09 AM.

#20 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

I was at Richmond Centre on Sunday and there was weird loud noises near the Starbucks. Turns out it was the Idle no more movement and police had to escort them out after they were rambling and banging their drums for about an hour. It's not like they were forced to leave, it was just that the police led them out of the mall after they let them do their thing..

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#21 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

I was at Richmond Centre on Sunday and there was weird loud noises near the Starbucks. Turns out it was the Idle no more movement and police had to escort them out after they were rambling and banging their drums for about an hour. It's not like they were forced to leave, it was just that the police led them out of the mall after they let them do their thing..

At least the police acted.

In Ontario the police refused to act even when given a specific court order to enforce.

Judge slams Ontario police for not breaking up Idle No More protests

Saying “I do not get it,” an Ontario Superior Court judge Monday bemoaned the passivity of Ontario police forces on illegal native barricades and issued a lament for the state of law-and-order in the nation.

“…no person in Canada stands above or outside of the law,” Judge David Brown said in a decision that was alternately bewildered and plaintive.

“Although that principle of the rule of law is simple, at the same time it is fragile. Without Canadians sharing a public expectation of obeying the law, the rule of law will shatter.”

Judge Brown was formally giving his reasons for having granted CN Rail an emergency injunction last Saturday night, when the railway rushed to court when Idle No More protesters blocked the Wymans Road crossing on the main line between Toronto and Montreal.

That protest ended about midnight the same night, but as Judge Brown noted dryly, “not, as it turns out, because the police had assisted in enforcing the order” he granted.

When the judge read in the media Sunday morning that the blockade had ended, he asked CN to submit an affidavit how it had happened.

As the same judge who last month watched — “shocked,” he said later, at “such disrespect” — as Sarnia Police ignored his court orders to end another Idle No More blockade on a CN spur line, he was right to be skeptical.

And sure enough, what Judge Brown learned was that once the local sheriff got a copy of his order, by about 10:30 p.m. Saturday, she contacted the Ontario Provincial Police on scene.

The staff-sergeant there told her “it was too dangerous” to attempt to serve the order – on all of 15 protesters.

But, the judge said, he’d made “a time-sensitive order” precisely because the evidence showed that the railway suffered “from each hour the blockade remained in place, yet the OPP would not assist the local sheriff to ensure the order was served…

“Such an approach by the OPP was most disappointing,” Judge Brown said, “because it undercut the practical effect of the injunction order.

“That kind of passivity by the police leads me to doubt that a future exists in this province for the use of court injunctions in cases of public demonstrations.”

Judge Brown said that while he appreciates that Ontario Court of Appeal has said the rule of law can be applied in a “highly textured” or “nuanced” way when protesters are aboriginals involved in a land claim dispute, that doesn’t apply “to 15 people standing on the CN Main Line saying they were showing support for First Nations Chiefs in a forthcoming meeting with the Prime Minister.

“Such conduct had nothing to do with the process involved in sorting out land or usage claims…” the judge said.

“…it was straight-forward political protest, pure and simple. Just as 15 persons from some other group would have no right to stand in the middle of the Main Line tracks blocking rail traffic in order to espouse a political cause close to their hearts, neither do 15 persons from a First Nation.”

The judge expressed “astonishment” that Sarnia Police failed to enforce court orders for almost two weeks, and then that protesters again blocked the Main Line for five hours, just a week after another demonstration in the same area.

He already had concerns, he said, stemming out of what occurred in Sarnia, about the willingness of police forces to enforce injunctions involving native protesters, but issued the order Saturday night because CN lawyers showed how serious were the effects of the blockade of the main line.

Furthermore, Judge Brown said, police already have sufficient tools under the Criminal Code to remove illegal protests. “In light of those powers of arrest enjoyed by police officers,” he wondered, “why does the operator of a critical railway have to run off to court to secure an injunction when a small group of protesters park themselves on the rail line bringing operations to a grinding halt?

“I do not get it,” he said.

As a member of one part of the law-and-order equation, Judge Brown said, “I remain puzzled why another part – our police agencies and their civilian overseers – does not make use of the tools given to it by our laws to ‘ensure the safety and security of all persons and property in Ontario’,” which he said is the first principle governing police services.

He warned “we seem to be drifting into dangerous waters in the life of the public affairs of this province when the courts cannot predict, with any practical degree of certainty, whether police agencies” will assist in enforcing court orders.

http://news.national...-more-protests/

Perhaps the police should be brought before the court and face contempt of court charges in such cases.

#22 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Can you quickly sum up for me what this movement is ACTUALLY about? And why they are so against this bill?

Fruits?

Lord Peaches' gut is telling him that the drunken fool, aka Dral, is 100% mafia.

MVP?

Dral is 100% mafia or I will masteb_ _ _ _ a cow and like it

GOATis?

Vig kill dral he never talks like this when he's not mafia.

#23 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

POPULAR

Every human is equal. No one alive now in Canada had anything to do with colonialism. I have a big problem with segments of the population having more rights than me.

At some point people need to move past this and make their own lives better.

#24 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Every human is equal. No one alive now in Canada had anything to do with colonialism. I have a big problem with segments of the population having more rights than me.

At some point people need to move past this and make their own lives better.

Aboriginals have rights that are quite separate and apart from those of non-aboriginals as result of history and our laws. We have signed contracts with aboriginal bands and those bind not only the signatories but also their descendants so just because you were not alive when they were signed is of no moment.

It depends upon your concept of equality - you appear to ascribe to the US version rather than that adhered to in Canada where equality is viewed as process and not an absolute. That is why the Charter specifically recognizes such things as affirmative action and it forms the basis for employment equity.

One of the most striking differences is our different treatment of affirmative action programs. In Canada our multicultural policy mandates that affirmative action and employment equity be part of our laws and system while in the US affirmative action has been rejected.

In fact we specifically entrenched affirmative action in our Constitution as it naturally follows from our policy of multiculturalism.

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Such an approach in the US is unconstitutional as set out in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978).
http://caselaw.lp.fi...ol=438&page=265

This US approach to affirmative action was considered and rejected at the time of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms being drafted and during the the Royal Commission on Equality in Employment ( the Abella Commission) which resulted in our Employment Equity Act. The formalistic US approach was rejected in favour of a restorative approach in which historic inequality was to be remedied by affirmative action. Again part and parcel of our multicultural heritage.

Judge Abella’s report later became the foundation of the Employment Equity Act of 1986, later amended as the Employment Equity Act of 1995. The purpose of the Act, as stated in the legislation itself, is:

The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfillment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities by giving effect to the principle that employment equity means more than treating persons in the same way but also requires special measures and the accommodation of differences.

Aboriginal people have rights separate and apart from those non-aboriginal people based upon history and law going back to 1763 and those rights are entrenched in our supreme law - the Constitution of Canada.

Our Constitution specifically references the Royal Proclamation of 1763 and that all aboriginal and treaty rights are protected - past, present and future - and that general Charter rights cannot be "construed so as to abrogate or derogate from any aboriginal, treaty or other rights or freedoms that pertain to the aboriginal peoples of Canada".

PART I
Section 25 of the Charter of Rights:

25. The guarantee in this Charter of certain rights and freedoms shall not be construed so as to abrogate or derogate from any aboriginal, treaty or other rights or freedoms that pertain to the aboriginal peoples of Canada including

(a) any rights or freedoms that have been recognized by the Royal Proclamation of October 7, 1763; and

(b) any rights or freedoms that may be acquired by the aboriginal peoples of Canada by way of land claims settlement.different.

Do not confuse Canada's implementation of equality with the that of the US - our approach is quite different..

Edited by Wetcoaster, 08 January 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#25 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,371 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

This is the thing that many people don't seem to understand....

...we made a deal (or more accurately, the Crown made a deal) with the aboriginal peoples of Canada. All we're doing is honoring the terms of that deal (deals), not granting special rights and privileges.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#26 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

It seems Chief Spence is finding questions being raised about the way the band affairs are being administered on the Attawapiskat reserve in northern Ontario to be a problem.

Today a Global News crew who arrived to do a story were threatened with arrest by Band Police if they did not leave the reserve and escorted out of town.

A Global News crew was escorted off the Attawapiskat reserve in northern Ontario and threatened with arrest after trying to do a story on living conditions in the community.

Jennifer Tryon, Global National's senior investigative correspondent, and photojournalist Trevor Owens travelled to the area Tuesday afternoon, but were met with resistance minutes after they arrived.

"Well, we got to the airport and made it to our lodging without incident," Tryon told Global National anchor and executive editor Dawna Friesen over the phone.

When Acting Chief Christine Kataquapit asked Tryon and Owens to leave, the pair thought it was a joke at first. "But then (Kataquapit) said the chief (Theresa Spence) has asked you to leave the community – for all media to leave the community. And we sort of looked at each other, and we realized that it actually wasn't a joke, and they weren't going to allow anyone to speak to the media here."

Tryon inquired about what violations or laws Global News was breaking by being present on the reserve, but didn't get any answers. "The acting chief said she had gotten a call from Theresa Spence herself telling all media to leave, and as far as I can tell, we're the only media here, but we're being told by Theresa Spence herself that we had to leave."

Band police were called, who then threatened to arrest Tryon and Owens with trespassing and breaching the peace if the pair didn't leave. Tryon added, "We put up a bit of a fight. We phoned our lawyer. I mean, we weren't here to make enemies. We were here to do a fair and balanced story. We certainly didn't want anyone angry with us, but we also wanted to stand our ground a bit too."

Residents were shocked at their encounter. "Prior to this happening, we sort of got a welcome response from the community, who were eager to talk about what the audit was really about. They had a lot to say about how it wasn't showing the full picture of what was happening in Attawapiskat."

Tryon and Owens were taken in a police cruiser back to their hotel, so they could retrieve their belongings, before being taken to the airport to catch a flight to Timmins, Ont.

On Monday, Tryon informed the Nishnawbe Aski Nation she would be heading to Attawapiskat with NDP MP Charlie Angus.

Attawapiskat has been in the news recently, as Spence has been on a liquid diet on Victoria Island, near Parliament Hill in Ottawa, protesting the Crown's relationship with First Nations people. On Monday, an independent audit showed the Attawapiskat band council has not properly kept track of millions of federal dollars – including money earmarked for housing.

A Global News crew went to ask Spence on Tuesday afternoon why Tryon and Owens were kicked off the reserve. No response was given.

http://www.globalnews.ca/global+news+crew+threatened+with+arrest+in+attawapiskat/6442784553/story.html

#27 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,719 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I suggest Tryon and Owens go on a "hunger" strike until Attawapiskat band council reps agree to speak with them. That seems to work.

#28 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

And the latest from Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence... if the Governor General is not at the meeting Friday to pay her homage, she will not attend.

Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence will not attend Friday’s “working meeting” between the prime minister and First Nations leaders if the governor general sticks to his decision not to attend.

Gov. Gen. David Johnston’s office said Tuesday he would not be attending the meeting.

“The governor general will not attend Friday’s meeting because it consists of a working meeting with government on public policy issues,” said spokeswoman Julie Rocheleau in an emailed statement.

Spence’s spokesman Danny Metatawabin said the chief, who has been on a hunger strike since Dec. 11 consuming only fish broth, medicine tea and water, wouldn’t attend the meeting if Johnston didn’t show.

“If he is not going to be there Theresa is not going to the meeting,” said Metatawabin. “We are going to take it day by day.”

Metatawabin said they’ve relayed their position to Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo.

“We are going to have to take it day by day at this point to see if somehow he could be there,” he said.

Last Friday, shortly after the Prime Minister’s Office announced Harper’s meeting with chiefs, Spence told reporters she would be attending.

Atleo is scheduled to hold a press conference on Wednesday.

Spence has said she won’t end her hunger strike until she’s satisfied with the outcome of the meeting. She’s made the governor general’s involvement as one of the core prerequisites for ending the hunger strike.

Spence has lost 22 lbs since and her life partner Clayton Kennedy said she has been increasingly weak in the last few days and has complained about pains caused by her stomach contracting from lack of solid food.

Spence and her supporters have also felt besieged following the release of an audit into Attawapiskat’s finances between 2005 and 2011. Kennedy told APTN National News Monday that the audit shows financial controls improved since Spence became chief.

http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2013/01/09/attawapiskat-chief-spence-wont-attend-fridays-meeting-if-gg-sticks-to-planned-no-show/

#29 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,719 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

HA. All Spence wanted was a meeting with Harper. When she gets it, she refutes it. What a joke.

Attending no more: Chief Spence snubs Harper meeting because Governor-General not going

Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence says she is no longer attending her long-sought meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Friday because Governor General David Johnston will not be going.

“I will not be attending Friday’s meeting with the prime minister, as the governor general’s attendance is integral when discussing inherent and treaty rights,” Spence said in a statement Wednesday after a morning of conflicting statements from her staff.

Spence said they wrote to Buckingham Palace to ask the Queen to send her Canadian representative to Friday’s meeting. She said Johnston officially turned down her request.

“This is a time of crisis and this government of the day is not taking Indigenous Peoples seriously,” added Danny Metatawabin in the statement. “We are sending messages to the Queen. Canada should take notice and act honourably.”

Spence made the statement after a morning of conflicting statements to various media outlets about whether she would be attending Friday’s meeting. This came a day after a Toronto Star reporter said she was kicked off the Victoria Island site where Spence is set up by her supporters and a Global News crew was reportedly escorted off Attawapiskat by band police after trying to interview residents.

Spence reportedly also declared she would not attend the meeting with Harper unless Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty was also in attendance. The outgoing Ontario premier would be unavailable to attend because he will be in China. McGuinty is not mentioned in her statement.

Spence’s statement also accused Canada of acting in bad faith by releasing an audit on the state of Attawapiskat.

The audit, released Monday as Spence’s fight to meet Harper seemed to be reaching its fever pitch, showed millions unaccounted for among the $104 million in federal funding from 2005 to 2011.

Spence’s move comes as some First Nations leaders say that Spence’s fiscal mismanagement is indefensible and it threatens to undermine reserves that keep their books in order.

“I admire what Spence is doing, but it’s tough to defend those numbers,” Kanesatake Grand Chief Serge Simon told the Montreal Gazette shortly after a damning audit into Attawapiskat’s finances was released.

“When something like this happens, it kind of rubs off on all of us,” added Ryan Rice, an administrator for the Kahnawake Mohawk Council.

“But the truth is, we never run a deficit and our books are always balanced,” he said.

http://news.national...eral-not-going/

#30 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Chief Spence is becoming a joke. Does she not realize that Governor General is just a figure head, used for ceremonial purposes, that he has little power except in cases where he can designate who is pm in minority governments. That in theory the GG can dismiss the PM but has never done so. The GG does not make laws.

The chief has lost all credibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.